Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Dasher not winning the title at the end of the season was a real bummer. Would have been a Top 10 All-Time moment if he won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I have sources that tell me there might be 2 Aussie teams this year. One all male team, one all female team.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
So when's Jervis coming back..... Oh right

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

They did an Hour of Power today with the biggest development being that Green Ant II and Thief Ant upset Cajun Crawdad and Hermit Crab to qualify for Tag World Grand Prix. After the match, Fire Ant showed up and kicked their asses. Either he doesn't approve of their gimmicks or this is his way of protecting them from the fate of the other ants.

To be fair, Thief Ant doesn't exactly sound like a good guy. I wonder if they are gonna turn Fire Ant full heel. That would be interesting.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

coconono posted:

Does Jolly Roger even wrestle anymore? I kinda remember he was a good lookin enough guy he could slide on that for a bit.

He wrestles as Tyler Murphy now, so he completely dropped the pirate gimmick. I think he mainly wrestles for NYWC.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

They did Tag World today and after the first round of the tournament, they went to intermission. During intermission, they tend to just play a bunch of recent Chikara YouTube videos on loop. After a video on how the Rumble Bees will split up if they don't win Tag World, they accidentally put up a pre-match graphic for like 30 seconds of Oceanea/Merlock vs. Throwbacks for the tournament finals. Then immediately after, they replayed that Rumble Bees video. Several minutes later, the semis started. Whoops!

Anyway, the Throwbacks won in the end, becoming the first team to win two Tag Worlds (though Claudio is a two-time winner). There was also a storyline development where Oleg and Boar are now a team due to their hatred of Blank and his underlings.

Rumble Bees vs Janelope was SO GOOD. Solo countered a Doomsday Device into a power slam and it looked amazing. Janela said tonight was his last match in CZW, so it would not surprise me to see him and Penelope become regulars in CHIKARA going forward.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

coconono posted:

Janela doing Chikara would be weird since his schtick really works when its R-rated. I'd start watching Chikara more if he did tho.

It works in a weird way. He's more goofy and stuff. It's like he wresting while also babysitting a 5 year old child and must be on his best behavior.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I hated Eddie as a babyface because he always sold his injured leg for the entire match and it sucked.

However, all that is forgiven after watching his High Noon promo because OMG that promo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AGjIQKxNE

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
CHIKARA show was good. Nothing amazing happened though besides Crossbones pants falling down and them having to go almost immediately to the finish. Kobald's tweeets about it afterwards seem to indicate was not happy at all with Crossbones.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I wonder why this show isn't running at the WF. Almost seems like its a sold show or something. I can't think of any other reason for them having it in such a weird location.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
JFDC is probably the biggest success story from CHIKARA's Wrestling Is _____ shows. He is a good wrestler, but I feel like he's been pushed too long at this point. Hopefully Dasher finally gets a title run soon. If anyone deserves a run with that belt, its him.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah honestly I feel bad for the dog because he always seems really freaked out when they bring him out

When Solo has him around the merch tables, he's the most calm and nice dog though. He's really well trained it seems. Maybe the lights are what scares him.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
new KOT team:

https://twitter.com/CHIKARApro/status/1006355436499595264

Aja Perera does a alien gimmick, so I bet Quack will make her the new Saturyne.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
That Mr Touchdownn vs David Starr match was REALLY good. I don't know why Mr TD isn't getting booked all over, cause he is so good.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

I meant in the kayfabe sense. The storyline was that Dunkerton was forced to be part of FIST and it wasn't working out because he was an honorable face and FIST was made up of heels. Eventually, Icarus started to realize that he and Dunkerton had good chemistry as a team and started defending him. Gargano got fed up and quit Chikara, Chuck Taylor just shrugged and did his own thing and Dunkerton also quit the company because Icarus was trying to help him out in matches via cheating. That transitioned into Icarus' face turn and role as the main guy trying to bring Chikara back from the grave.

In the end, they were probably written off because Quack didn't have anything for them. His roster for the Ashes-era stuff was bloated as hell already. Gargano did eventually come back for King of Trios one year, but Dunkerton hasn't been seen since, so there very well could be some bad feelings from that situation.

Meanwhile, Tim Donst was another guy written off around that time and his split from the company comes off as amicable. He's defended them in recent history and has said that he'd go back with the right storyline.

They never did tie up the storyline with Donst after Ashes. Was he drugged?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
KOT is not streaming anywhere. Gotta be there in person to watch live or wait for CHIIKARA to release it as VOD.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
This is a seriously great promo by Katie Lea/Winter. I didn't even realize this match on Friday has its own theme but I am super pumped about it now.

https://twitter.com/katarinasinfamy/status/1034555010179260416

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I am so hyped for Eagles vs Quack.

But yeah, Danjerhawk trying to wrestle when he was totally out of it was sad. That whole match was not good. Just sloppy stuff from everyone.

Also, Mr Touchdown fell right in front of me and it didn't look bad at all. Felt like a total storyline injury but he was in a cast yesterday and Dasher said he had a strained fibula. So, I dunno.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Dlowmx posted:

The twitter thread said he was out there the next day wrestling, I’m hoping it was as close to hitting his head without hitting it. But yeah I’ll agree. High risk/very little reward.

He was in a ten man tag in night 2 and the babyface team kept trying too kill him too. It was a running joke so I assume he's fine.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Thunderfrog is so fun. I really wish he could be on more shows, cause the dude is just so charismatic.

Also of note, Danjerhawk was out at the merch tables telling people he'll be fine. Razerhawk had his arm in some kind of self-made sling. Mr Touchdown was not anywhere that I saw on Night 3.

Kinda bummed Molly Holly only stayed for 1 night. Would have liked her to have been able to do more, but I guess she's retired so one match was enough.

https://twitter.com/MikeQuackenbush/status/1036373748465717248

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Dasher is the interim-Grand Champion until Mr Touchdown gets back. So, I guess his injury was legit.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I dig a roster with Oceanea, Solo, Penelope, and Blanche. I wish they could find a way to get Veda Scott on some shows though.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/IssitaMarie/status/1056938690981847040

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I bet you all the money I have that Quack sent Dan Murphy of PWI a strongly worded letter about breaking kayfabe with this.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

So the Cibenetico match this year will be Chikara vs. Beyond.

This means Nick Gage's Chikara debut.

Joey Janela saying "god drat" in the promo announcing it was pretty funny.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Who cares about Nick Gage. Missile Assault Man blew up a whole busload of kids once. He's the real MDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

Chikara announced that they're no longer doing physical media and right now they're doing a big sale on their DVDs and blu rays.

They've been selling Buy 1 Get 2 DVD's for half of this year at shows. You can tell they are just trying to move out stock.