Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CHIKARA Pro Wrestling! It started in 2002. It got really good in 2006. It peaked around 2010. It went off a cliff in 2013. Since then, it’s chugged along, all while losing more and more of its talent due to greener pastures calling and/or because the guy in charge is screwy and cheap.

Season 18 took place in 2017 and with it came the shocking realization that there was a nine-show secret Season 17 that would be gradually released on CHIKARAtopia, the company’s streaming site. Through Season 17, we saw wrestlers debut, titles change hands, tag teams fall apart, wrestlers say farewell, and so on.

Right now, the CHIKARA Grand Champion is Juan Francisco de Coronado. An aristocrat from Ecuador, JFDC defeated fan-favorite UltraMantis Black for the title back in Season 18. Since then, he spent the remainder of the year defending against the veteran challengers. All of them failed, from Missile Assault Man to Fire Ant to Proletariat Boar to Mr. Touchdown. Dasher Hatfield appeared to be the guy primed to overthrow JFDC, but he came up short in the finale’s main event.

The tag champs are longtime CHIKARA comedy act Los Ice Creams. They won a free title match years back and finally cashed in once the Rumble Bees (Solo Darling and Travis Huckabee) won the belts from Crummels and DeFarge. Since winning the belts, Los Ice Creams have focused on interfering in any match where a tag team is close to earning three points. Can’t defend the titles if nobody qualifies for a shot!

After changing hands so many times, the Young Lions Cup title found a home with the Whisper. The cryptic villain targeted Ophidian, disgusted that despite his hypnotism powers, he never truly uses his full potential. Whisper is a master of finding out secrets and outed Ophidian as the fake 17 from several years ago, back when CHIKARA was feuding with the Flood. With Ophidian seemingly gone after losing a Sarcophagus Match to Hallowicked, Whisper took his mask and identity. The new “Ophidian” won the Rey de Voladores tournament and the Young Lions Cup. He was even going to go for the tag titles alongside a fake Amasis, but the original Ophidian returned in the form of 17 to break their arms.

Due to Hallowicked and Frightmare tearing the company apart with a failed mind-control plot and Frightmare’s tendency to thin out the roster via career-ending injuries, a lot of the CHIKARA faces got together to create a team called the Furies to keep them in check. Outside of Ophidian (who got roped into his Whisper feud), the only one who seemed to give a drat was Fire Ant, who had lost all of his insect comrades. The Furies were outright worthless outside of Fire Ant annihilating Frightmare out of revenge. The team has gone their separate ways, but Fire Ant is still super pissed.

“Juke Joint” Lucas Calhoun used to be the Flood member Volgar, but he left that life behind to be a wrestling Elvis guy. Jeremy Leary started antagonizing him and stealing his style, but it was only his way of getting through to Calhoun and showing him the truth: the two of them were “brothers,” created in a lab as soldiers for Titor Conglomerate. Calhoun left CHIKARA to do some soul-searching, but while he was gone, his longtime tag partner Missile Assault Man tried to face Leary in a singles match. Instead, a group of unnamed weirdoes appeared, as led by a goblin-like scientist identified as Professor Hugo Necodemus. He whispered something into Missile’s ear, which caused him to mindlessly walk out of the arena. Watching this, Calhoun swore that he’d return to face this threat.

Ashley Vox and Delmi Exo, the Sea Stars, wanted someone in the locker room to help give them guidance. They came up empty-handed, so they started keeping a cute girl in a shark costume named Jawsolyn in their corner. Jawsolyn was man-handled by the monster piranha hoss Merlok and shoved into a fridge. The Sea Stars ended up getting Obaryon of the Batiri as their mentor and he pushed Ashley into getting in touch with her anger. Ashley was reborn as Oceana and defeated Merlok so soundly that he ended up kneeling before her as her new servant.

In other news, NRG split up when Race Jaxon decided he was too talented and handsome to keep Hype Rockwell around. He put Hype on the shelf during the secret season, only for Hype to return in Season 18 for revenge. Their final battle was a grudge match where the loser would be forced to don a mask from now on. Now the narcissistic Race is stuck obscuring his facial features.

And that about catches us up. So what does Season 19 have for us? Interestingly enough, CHIKARA is refraining for travel and touring this year. As it is right now, there are 18 announced shows taking place in the Wrestle Factory in Philadelphia. Those shows will all be streamed live via CHIKARAtopia. The only show confirmed to be outside of the Wrestle Factory is Infinite Gauntlet, which will be in Pocono Summit.

Plus King of Trios is confirmed, but the venue has not been announced.

While their net might not be spread to wide this time around, they are going ham on their big gimmick shows:

February: National Pro Wrestling Day
March: Young Lions Cup
April: Tag World Grand Prix
May: Infinite Gauntlet
May: Aniversario
June: The Johnny Kidd Invitational
August: Chikarasaurus Rex
August/September: King of Trios
October: La Loteria Letal
November: Cibernetico

Oh, and according to the banner hanging in the Wrestle Factory, CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling will be released sometime in 2018. ...So they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SirDippingSauce posted:

Ok, this actually sounds pretty cool.

Yeah, the blow-off match was really rad. They spent the entire year building up Merlok as a monster to the point that his only decisive loss came at the hands of Dasher as part of them building Dasher up as #1 contender. Then suddenly this pissed off woman dressed as Aquaman started kicking his rear end and Merlok bounced around the ring like a ping-pong ball.

ChrisBTY posted:

Please tell me it was hyped as 'reverse lucha de apuestas'

I believe right before the match, Vlad was announcing and went "Would you call this a reverse lucha de apuestas?" and Bryce just kind of shrugged.

DM Punk posted:

Dasher not winning the title at the end of the season was a real bummer. Would have been a Top 10 All-Time moment if he won.

Agreed. The one good thing about it is that he still has an automatic title shot, so they can probably do something interesting with that. He won the second Infinite Gauntlet back in the secret season, so he gets a golden opportunity. Others with golden opportunities that haven't been used are Solo Darling and Jervis Cottonb--er, I guess just Solo Darling.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The only reason Chikara dropped the hammer on Jervis was because of the lawsuit

It's funny to me because the original Jervis got fired for rummaging through wallets backstage, but he still used the gimmick in the UK with apparently little issue.

Here are the four matches announced so far for the debut show, which will happen a few hours before Royal Rumble:

- Juan Francisco de Coronado defending the Grand Championship against Hype Rockwell

- "17" vs. "Ophidian"

- Oleg the Usurper vs. Kobald

- Oceanea and Merlok vs. Cajun Crawdad and Hermit Crab

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So DUSTIN and Chuck Taylor TM are now in the alumni section with Chuck TM's Twitter now deleted. Not too surprising.

What doesn't seem to make much sense is that Quack and Bryce are also in the alumni section.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Tomorrow is National Pro Wrestling Day, which I probably won't be able to watch because I'm in the middle of a move. This year they're raising money for Puerto Rico. Matches are as follows:

- Juan Francisco defending the Grand Championship against Oleg the Usurper. At the last show, JFDC retained against Hype Rockwell while Oleg finished off his long-running angle with Kobald while gaining his third point.

- Los Ice Creams defending the tag titles against the Closers. Rick Rolland came back from injury at the end of the last season and between that and a four corner tag match, the Closers earned three points. Pretty sure they're the first tag team to earn three points since Los Ice Creams won the titles, since they've been so good at screwing with contenders and ruining their momentum.

- Ophidian vs. Frightmare: Ophidian took back his identity from the Whisper and now wants to finally get his revenge on Frightmare for the whole "beating Amasis in a mask vs. mask match and getting him to leave Chikara" thing.

- The Beach Bums vs. Crummels and Defarge: guest team vs. house team to earn a spot in Tag World Grand Prix.

- Proletariat Boar of Moldova vs. BLANK: BLANK is the crazed new persona for Race Jaxon, who is now forced to wear a white gimp mask. At the season premiere, he publicly challenged the Boar for whatever reason.

- Xyberhawx 2000 vs. Penelope Ford and Joey Janella: See Beach Bums vs. Crummels/Defarge.

- Rory Gulak vs. Gran Akuma: Akuma's been beating the crap out of the new guys, even when Travis Huckabee fairly defeated him. Last I checked, Gulak was heel, but who knows where this will go.

- The Whisper defending the Young Lions Cup against Tony Deppen: I have no idea who Deppen is.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

- Rory Gulak vs. Gran Akuma: Akuma's been beating the crap out of the new guys, even when Travis Huckabee fairly defeated him. Last I checked, Gulak was heel, but who knows where this will go.

Er, never mind.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, looks like Oleg vs. Kobald has stretched into Oleg vs. House of Rot. Also, Fire Ant is now furious at Ophidian for pretending to be 17 during the Flood storyline. Speculation is that Ophidian revealed himself by saving the life of Frightmare when everyone would have been better off if he stayed out of it.

The Closers are the tag champs now, having handily taken down Los Ice Creams.

In other news...

https://twitter.com/ProteusWheel/status/965804730625568769

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

What's the new ant's gimmick

Green Ant II

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Trios tickets go on sale today.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

They've already announced the only one that matters!

https://twitter.com/CHIKARApro/status/969241768033161216

Off to a good start!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Considering Colin Delaney is taking part in the Tag World Grand Prix, I have to give it fifty/fifty odds that we'll see Delaney/Gillberg/Ellsworth at King of Trios.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They updated the roster page to the point that it has 41 wrestlers + 1 doggo. So it's good that they're currently able to have enough for a Rumble. Based on the roster, here's some gimmes for Trios:

- Some combination of Oceana, Merlock, Cajun Crawdad and Hermit Crab

- Hallowicked, Frightmare and Kobald

- The Proteus Wheel: Callux the Castigator, Frantik and Volgar II

- Xyberhawx 2000

- The Blank has gone full insane artist and has introduced two "works of art" wrestlers under his wing named Ursa Minor in the Night Sky and Still Life with Apricots and Pears. So if those guys have any longevity in them, sure, give them a tournament spot.

Also, not on the roster page yet, but Young Lions Cup is introducing a woman named Blanche Babish who has a whole 1950s bad girl thing going on. She'll probably be linked to Lucas Calhoun and Jeremy Leary and will likely be part of their Trios team.

Young Lions Cup is this Saturday. They've actually done a decent job making it diverse by only tossing in three Chikara guys in Babish, Cajun Crawdad and Green Ant II.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Team #2!

https://twitter.com/CHIKARApro/status/973363170889879553

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's a new blog post from Vlad Radinov saying that he's unfortunately leaving Chikara. drat. I really liked him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They did Young Lions Cup 1st Stage today. Here are the quick results:

- YLC Match #1: Omari defeated Green Ant II, Brett Domino and Percy Davis. Didn't get to see this match due to work.

- YLC Match #2: Blanch Babish defeated Fuego del Sol, Dylan Bostic and DL Hurst.

- YLC Match #3: Cajun Crawdad defeated Gabby Ortiz, Anthony Greene and Super Beetle

- YLC Match #4: Cameron Zagami defeated Air Wolf, Geddy Cahoon and Eli Isom

- Tag World Grand Prix Qualifier: Oceanea and Merlok defeated Colin Delaney and Cheech Hernandez in what was a fairly lengthy back-and-forth match considering how the winners have been pushed. They won via Oceanea doing a Yoshi Tonic to Merlok off the second rope onto Cheech.

- Ophidian defeated Fire Ant. Towards the end of the match, Fire Ant kicked the poo poo out of Ophidian and refused to try and finish the match. Bryce warned him about this and Fire Ant relented for a second and tried for one last Beach Breaker to end things. Ophidian was able to squeak out a roll-up bridge pin and got the win. Fire Ant started beating on him afterwards, but Bryce pulled him off and started screaming that the match was over. Fire Ant sat on the apron slumped over while Ophidian was barely able to stand. Afterwards, Ophidian was interviewed and talked about how he had to dig deeper than ever to gain those three points. Next step is Juan Francisco.

- Tag World Grand Prix Qualifier: The Rumble Bees defeated Whisper and Troll. The story is that despite Whisper being a near-top heel, Troll is terrible and weighed him down. Whisper tapped out to the Sharpstinger.

- Juan Francisco came out to cut a very boring promo about how Dasher Hatfield is a hypocrite. Dasher's commentary constantly talks up what a cheater Juan Francisco is, but Dasher is guilty of such things as punching with a closed fist and attacking before the bell has rung. Juan Francisco even brought Bryce out to admit that those are against the rules, thereby making Dasher a cheater. Dasher appeared to warn Juan Francisco that he was going to eventually beat him and that he'd do it as someone his son can be proud of. Juan Francisco swore that he'd expose Dasher for the fraud he is.

- YLC Semifinals #1: Cameron Zagami defeated Blanch Babish. Dasher was scheduled to do commentary, but since he left due to the Juan Francisco situation, Jeremy Leary decided to take his place. He spent the match very interested in Babish, hinting at a future alliance.

- YLC Semifinals #2: Omari defeated Cajun Crawdad.

- Encore match: Thief Ant defeated some masked jobber with a wig. Thief Ant looks like the original Worker Ant, only with lots of tattoos on his arms. It was a short match that ended with Thief Ant winning with a Stunner. I'm guessing he's going to have a Eugene moveset.

In other news, Glacier has been confirmed for this year's Infinite Gauntlet match. They also have a video up recapping the Kimber Lee/Whisper storyline that wrote her out, suggesting that she's going to be appearing more often than just KOT.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Add Ken Anderson to the Infinite Gauntlet. Sure, why not.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They did an Hour of Power today with the biggest development being that Green Ant II and Thief Ant upset Cajun Crawdad and Hermit Crab to qualify for Tag World Grand Prix. After the match, Fire Ant showed up and kicked their asses. Either he doesn't approve of their gimmicks or this is his way of protecting them from the fate of the other ants.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Professor Nicodemus is the character find of 2018... er, late 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VzeZYvejuI

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Who are the three ants in chikara now

Fire Ant, Green Ant II and Thief Ant. The latter two are new rookies who have just started teaming up.

Fire Ant's deal is that he's consumed with vengeance and is lashing out at everyone. Frightmare took out all of his ant teammates, so Fire Ant co-founded a stable called the Furies for the sake of protecting Chikara against anyone who wants to take over. He ended up getting revenge on Frightmare by beating him so badly that Frightmare was on the shelf for half a year. Then he tore apart Frightmare's teammate Kobald. Then he disbanded the Furies for not taking things serious enough and focusing on their own issues. Then he started going after Ophidian because several years ago, Ophidian saved Frightmare's life (Frightmare was a face at the time). That didn't pan out for him so now he's attacking the two new ants.

It hasn't been said yet if he simply doesn't approve of them or if he feels he's protecting them from being taken out like all the rest.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Holy poo poo when did Bryce get named DoF, that rules

Just before the season started.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Young Lions Cup 2nd Stage was today.

- Tag World Grand Prix Qualifier: Los Ice Creams defeated Nouveau Aesthetic (Still Life with Pears and Apricots and Ursa Minor in the Night Sky). After the match, Blank attacked Los Ice Creams and cut a promo that was mainly him taking out markers and drawing his emotions over the Nouveau Aesthetic's tights. Like using a blue marker to draw tears from one's mask down to their leg. During this promo, the Boar attacked him and caused the next match to begin.

- Blank defeated the Proletariat Boar of Moldova. Boar dominated the match. Near the end, they went to the outside and Blank kept getting his Nouveau Aesthetic guys to step in his way and take the gores for him. Eventually, Boar saw Blank hiding behind the corner post and ran at him for a gore. Blank stepped out while holding up a chair, knocking Boar out and allowing Blank to win via count-out.

- Oceanea, Merlok, Cornelius Crummels and Sonny Defarge defeated Solo Darling, Travis Huckabee, Thief Ant and Green Ant. Crummels and Defarge looked like poo poo here. They briefly teased a showdown between Solo and Oceanea, but it got interrupted. The heels won when they did the Tidal Wave (Oceanea Yoshi Tonic'ing Merlok off the second rope) onto Huckabee. After the match, Huckabee said that Tag World is the Rumble Bees' last chance because if they lose, it might be best to go their separate ways.

Also, on Twitter, Worker Ant II/assailANT was live-tweeting the whole show while acting like he was 100% out of the loop about everything that's changed since he left. At first he was shocked and angry to see Thief Ant and Green Ant, but came around to them through the match and suggested that he might come by and mentor them in the near future.

- Juan Francisco de Coronado defeated Ophidian to retain the Grand Championship. Juan tried to use the Ecuadorian flag as a weapon and while the ref pulled it away, he kicked Ophidian in the junk and hit a German suplex. Ophidian barely kicked out (it looked like he accidentally didn't and the ref acted like he did), but then passed out to the Coronado Clutch. All the while, Dasher Hatfield ran down Juan on commentary for being a cheater.

- During intermission, they played a handful of videos from the YouTube channel (including an announcement that Flex Rumblecrunch will be returning at Infinite Gauntlet). Then for a few minutes, Blank had the Noveau Aesthetic guys do statue poses as he sat on the floor and looked on with artistic interest. Each pose was given a ridiculous name on-screen.

- Xyberhawx 2000 defeated DL Hurst and Anthony Greene to earn their second point.

- Tag World Grand Prix Qualifier: Throwbacks defeated Legion of Rot in a fantastic match. Afterwards, they cut a promo on how they'll be the only team to win Tag World twice.

- Young Lions Cup XIV Finals: Cam Zagami defeated Omari. Zagami heeled it up and put over Beyond Wrestling huge afterwards.

- Encore: Officer Barksdale defeated Rory Gulak.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 1, 2018

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CombineThresher posted:

Isn't that their whole gimmick?

Fair enough. It's just that while their double-team stuff comes off as "I'm sure if they work on that, it'll look good eventually," this time it was them having absolutely no idea what they were doing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

They're still bad at that poo poo? They were dog poo poo when they debuted. I'm shocked they got such a hard push being so loving awful.

They became kind of okay for a while, but at yesterday's show they came off as completely lost. Their push has pretty much dried up anyway. After getting crushed by the Sendai Girls at Trios, they spent the rest of the year being outsmarted by Los Ice Creams and losing a blow-off to the Rumble Bees. Now we're at the point where the Closers are the heel tag champs and there are newer, more interesting heel teams out there. Crummels and Defarge cleaned up when the roster was at its worst, but now it's starting to figure itself out and they're being left in the dust.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Chris James 2 posted:

Does it look like there's any chance at all Juan Francisco loses the belt anytime soon? My interest in the company has really waned throughout his reign

There's at least a story to it now. For most of his reign, it was just him having matches against established Chikara guys and winning. Now they're building to a rematch with Dasher, but who knows how long that will take to play out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Team #3!

https://twitter.com/CHIKARApro/status/983740588532076545

Team Get hosed, Jolly Roger

Meanwhile, a new YouTube video showed that the Whisper, disgusted that his sidekick Troll is absolutely worthless, handed him over to Professor Nicodemus and yelled, "Fix him!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

coconono posted:

Does Jolly Roger even wrestle anymore? I kinda remember he was a good lookin enough guy he could slide on that for a bit.

According to Cagematch, he's still very active. It's just that last I checked, he was understandably very miffed with the company.

For a while they had Wrestling is Fun as the developmental promotion, which later became the sort of main promotion during the Ashes storyline. Outside of a KOT tag gauntlet, that was the only place you'd get to see Jolly Roger and Lance Steel, who became staples there. They had a unique dynamic where they were faces but their manager Kimber Lee was a heel and only Roger was aware of it. Then they did a promising storyline where Kimber Lee bought the Chikara tag belts off an online auction and gave them to Roger and Steel, leading to a brief feud with actual tag champs Jigsaw and Shard.

Then Chikara came back and it led to KOT 2014 where they had Jolly Roger/Lance Steel/Kimber Lee vs. Jigsaw/Shard/17. Kimber Lee was inexplicably a face and the match was mostly about trying to get her over, though there was a subplot in there about Jigsaw's pure reluctance to face Roger. Roger got his arm kayfabe broken, which not only wrote him off, but Steel and Jigsaw as well. Then they quietly discontinued Wrestling is Fun completely, so they were absolutely done with Roger and he wasn't happy with it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They did Tag World today and after the first round of the tournament, they went to intermission. During intermission, they tend to just play a bunch of recent Chikara YouTube videos on loop. After a video on how the Rumble Bees will split up if they don't win Tag World, they accidentally put up a pre-match graphic for like 30 seconds of Oceanea/Merlock vs. Throwbacks for the tournament finals. Then immediately after, they replayed that Rumble Bees video. Several minutes later, the semis started. Whoops!

Anyway, the Throwbacks won in the end, becoming the first team to win two Tag Worlds (though Claudio is a two-time winner). There was also a storyline development where Oleg and Boar are now a team due to their hatred of Blank and his underlings.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

the team of Oleg and the Boar of War is gonna be Boarleg. What ever happened to Hype? I could see them being a Trio.

I didn't even notice that Hype is missing from both the roster and alumni pages. Huh. He won his feud with Race, challenged for the title, lost and now he's gone.

Anyway, Jakob Hammermeier is confirmed for Infinite Gauntlet and I'm PUMPED.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It was really weird that his last match was that hair vs hair match and then he was gone for two years

The Donst vs. Loudspeaker thing? Jakob wasn't gone for that long if you count his time as fake Dr. Cube. Otherwise, it was just a little over a year.

Also pretty sure he was the Polar Baron from Wrestling is Fun, meaning they at least gave him something to do during that time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No he had a hair vs hair match against Eddie Kingston like two years ago at Wrestlefactory

Or it wasn't a hair vs hair match and Eddie just beat and shaved him for giggles

Ah, right. Yeah, Cagematch just has it as Eddie getting DQ'd and just plain murdering Jakob.

Insane king Jakob was fun times. I miss his weekly BDK segment on YouTube where he'd just sit on a throne and say random crap.

"Well, if Fenix can say it, I think I should be able to too! *deep breath* FFFF--"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I always saw Eddie Kingston as what it would have been like if Bad News Brown was the top face in late-80s WWF.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Didn't get a chance to catch today's show, but a new King of Trios team was announced.

https://twitter.com/CHIKARApro/status/990324546422083584

Teams announced so far:

- The Nexus Alliance (PJ Black, Michael Tarver and Fred Rosser)
- The New Republic (Princess KimberLee, El Hijo del Ice Cream and Ice Cream, Jr.)
- The Ohanaka Gang (Jean-Pierre Lafitte, Katie Lea Burchill and Rey Bucanero)
- Juan Francisco de Coronado, Rick Rolland and Sloan Caprice

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So at the last Hour of Power, Sylverhawk got his rear end kicked by Oceanea and Merlok so bad that he's off the roster and now in the alumni section. Meanwhile, Danjerhawk is a new member of the team who will be debuting at this Saturday's Infinite Gauntlet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Infinite Gauntlet is on Saturday and other than KOT, it's the one show that isn't streaming live since it's not at the Wrestle Factory. Here's the list of entrants:

Regular roster:

- Oceanea
- Merlok
- Hermit Crab
- Lucas Calhoun
- Hallowicked
- Officer Warren Barksdale
- Blank
- Hype Rockwell
- Dasher Hatfield
- Frantik
- Volgar
- Callux
- Solo Darling
- Travis Huckabee
- Kobald
- Jeremy Leary
- Thief Ant
- Juan Francisco de Coronado
- Fire Ant
- Still Life with Apricot and Pears
- Ursa Minor in the Night Sky
- Icarus
- Cajun Crawdad
- Green Ant
- Whisper
- Blanche Babish
- El Hijo del Ice Cream
- Danjerhawk (debuting)
- Kimber Lee

Guests from yesteryear:

- Glacier
- Grizzly Redwood
- Flex Rumblecrunch
- Jakob Hammermeier

Other matches include Mr. Touchdown vs. Mr. Anderson, Quackenbush vs. Arik Cannon, a four-way elimination tag match and the Xyberhawx 2000 vs. the Closers for the tag titles.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

I wonder why this show isn't running at the WF. Almost seems like its a sold show or something. I can't think of any other reason for them having it in such a weird location.

The poster advertising the show has a few sponsors on it (a retirement firm, lawyers and a restaurant), so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I didn't read the full results because I want to watch the show once it's available, but the winner of the Infinite Gauntlet is the debuting Danjerhawk.

Can't say I saw that coming.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Whoo! Triple post!

Aniversario: Heroes Shed No Tears is Saturday at 3. Here are the matches:

- Juan Francisco de Coronado defends the Grand Championship against Mike Quackenbush: It's the anniversary show, so might as well have the face that literally runs the place put over the champ. JFDC has been going over established Chikara guys for well over a year now, so what's one more?

- Beast Warriors vs. Closers: Oleg the Usurper and the Proletariat Boar of Moldova joined forces due to their issues with the Blank. Now they're a pretty dominant big man tag team going up against the dominant big man tag team champs. They don't have enough points for title contention, so this is non-title.

- Green Ant vs. Fire Ant: New ant rookies Green Ant and Thief Ant have been winning over both the crowds and retired Chikara wrestler Worker Ant (the chubby one). Fire Ant, who is mentally broken after losing all of his Colony buddies one way or another, isn't amused and has attacked the two new guys on occasion. Even in the Infinite Gauntlet, when Green Ant assisted Fire Ant and offered to help him out against the crab guys and Merlok, Fire kicked his rear end and eliminated him. Now they're going head-to-head with Worker in Green's corner.

- Officer Warren Barksdale vs. Volgar: The new Volgar is part of the Proteus Wheel, a stable of hoss science experiments created by Professor Nicodemus. Warren Barksdale is an aimless face character who only loses, so...

- Lucas Calhoun and Jeremy Leary vs. Frantik and Callux: Calhoun and Leary are brothers created by Nicodemus who have decided to put aside their differences and take down the Proteus Wheel. Frantik and Callux are the two remaining members of that stable.

- Hype Rockwell vs. Tony Deppen: I... honestly forgot who Deppen even is. Just a throwaway match.

- Razerhawk, Danjerhawk and Icarus vs. Oceanea, Merlok and Hermit Crab: Xyberhawx 2000 members Nytehawk and Sylverhawk have been (permanently?) injured in matches against the Creatures of the Deep and the Closers. They do have new member Danjerhawk, who made his debut winning the Infinite Gauntlet at #33. For the past few months, Icarus had been roasting the Xyberhawx on commentary and has been running them down for one reason or another. Having heard enough, Razerhawk came out and challenged Icarus to take Nytehawk's spot in their upcoming trios match. Feeling disrespected himself, Icarus begrudgingly accepted.

- Solo Darling, Thief Ant, Travis Huckabee, Dasher Hatfield and Mr. Touchdown vs. Whisper, Rory Gulak, Cajun Crawdad, Hallowicked and Frightmare: Throwaway ten-man tag. One of the stories in there is that the Rumble Bees broke up due to Huckabee feeling that they weren't working out while Solo Darling is coming off feeling all abandoned. Meanwhile, Whisper handed off the Troll to Professor Nicodemus and had him transformed into Trollzilla (a fat guy in Troll's gear). Despite his immediate success, the treatment has already worn off and Troll is back to being the weakest wrestler in Chikara history.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ha! Neat.

TV Zombie posted:

Wasn't Hydra one of the weaker characters in Chikara at one point?

Hydra was a comedy jobber, but his deal has always been that he was a semi-capable lightweight wrestler with a lot of heart who believed himself to be Brock Lesnar and failed because of that. Troll is treated as straight-up bottom of the barrel with no upside. He'd get squashed by someone like Hydra.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here are the results. Leonard F. Chikarason made his return to do commentary for the whole show.

- Tony Deppen defeated Hype Rockwell. Straightforward match with Deppen's win coming a bit out of nowhere to the point that the commentators were in the middle of talking when it happened. Afterwards, Deppen said something on Twitter complimenting Icarus and suggesting he's his mentor.

- Volgar defeated Officer Warren Barksdale. It was pretty one-sided, as expected.

- Fire Ant defeated Green Ant. Fire seemed happy to see Worker there, but completely tore into Green. Green still held his own at times and even kicked out of the Beach Breaker, causing Fire to hit two more in a row. Afterwards, the commentators made it sound like Fire gained some respect for the rookie. As Green Ant was helped to the back, Cam Zagami appeared with the Young Lions Cup to taunt him. Ever since winning it, Cam has claimed that he'd never defend it in Chikara and only in Beyond. Tomorrow he's facing Green Ant.

- Beast Warriors defeated the Closers. Before the match, Crummels and DeFarge showed up to demand a title match because they have three points. The Closers paid them to lay off for the night, but were real dicks about it, so Crummels and DeFarge jumped them. The Beast Warriors arrived and had little trouble with the hurt Closers until Kobald showed up and threw an onion at Oleg. Oleg chased him, allowing Hallowicked and Frightmare to attack Boar. Oleg came back and with both teams on equal footing now, the Beast Warriors still won and got their third point.

- Oceana, Merlok and Hermit Crab defeated Razerhawk, Danjerhawk and Icarus. Danjerhawk was taken out of the match from being thrown out of the ring and into Merlok's knee. Razerhawk fought off the three opponents and went for the hot tag, only for Icarus to walk away at the last second. Merlok destroyed the abandoned Razerhawk. After the match, the Creatures of the Deep cut a promo about how unstoppable they are as a team.

- Lucas Calhoun and Jeremy Leary defeated Frantik and Callux. The brothers hid out and waited for the heels to show up so they could ambush them. A very lengthy brawl went on around the arena until they finally got into the ring and the match started. After Calhoun and Leary won, Volgar ran out and attacked. The numbers game was too much and the Proteus Wheel left Calhoun and Leary lying in a heap.

- Solo Darling, Thief Ant, Travis Huckabee, Dasher Hatfield and Mr. Touchdown defeated Whisper, Rory Gulak, Cajun Crawdad, Hallowicked and Frightmare. It turned out to be an elimination tag match, but the action went on for a long while until any eliminations happened. Once it started, it was rapid fire with eliminations going one after another. They played up a rivalry between Huckabee and Gulak and Gulak ended up winning their showdown. Immediately after, Solo eliminated Gulak. Seeing this happen broke Huckabee, who attacked the defenseless Gulak as Bryce screamed at him to stop. Huckabee let Gulak go and smacked Solo to the mat. Icarus and Tony Deppen appeared at the ramp and offered Huckabee a spot with them. The three left together, Touchdown finished off Hallowicked and the two survivors ended up being Touchdown and Solo. Solo came off as catatonic after what Huckabee did to her.

- Juan Francisco defeated Mike Quackenbush. At one point, Quack referenced the Cesaro video by doing the Neutralizer complete with self-neck snap and the piston arm taunt. In the end, Quack went for Quackendriver 2, his back went out and JFDC reversed it into the Coronado Clutch. Quack passed out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is JFDC even any good? I kinda get the feeling that this is like if ROH decided to push Dalton as an unstoppable heel. Matter of fact, didn't they tag together when Dalton was in Chikara?

KungFu Grip posted:

its del rio if del rio didn't have the charisma

so modern day del rio

I see him as if early 90's WWF decided to give the Mountie a world title run and had him go over Hogan, Savage, Piper, Sid, etc. with no signs of stopping other than the vague idea that he's going to put over Bret Hart sometime in the next year. But to answer Foochs' question, he's good in the ring, but just doesn't feel like he works as the top heel. He's an overpushed midcard act who has long passed his expiration date.

At least when Eddie Kingston was champ for too long it was partially because things fell through for plans to drop it to Tim Donst and Sara Del Rey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Current King of Trios roster:

- The New Republic (Princess KimberLee, El Hijo del Ice Cream and Ice Cream, Jr.)
- The Nexus Alliance (PJ Black, Michael Tarver and Fred Rosser)
- The Ohnaka Gang (Rey Bucanero, Pierre Carl Ouellet and Katie Lea Burchill )
- The Regime (Juan Francisco de Coronado, Rick Roland and Sloan Caprice)
- The Shimmer Collective (Madison Eagles, Shazza McKenzie and Jessica Troy)
- The Tokyo Joshi Freedom Fighters (Miyu Yamashita, Yuka Sakazaki and Shoko Nakajima)

In terms of who's left, here are the likely trios:

- The Rockabilly Super Soldiers ("Juke Joint" Lucas Calhoun, Jeremy Leary and Blanche Babish)
- The Nouveau Aesthetic (Blank, Still Life with Apricots and Pears and Ursa Minor in the Night Sky)
- The Proteus Wheel (Callux the Castigator, Volgar and Frantik)
- Xyberhawx 2000 (Sylverhawk, Danjerhawk and Nytehawk)
- The New Colony (Fire Ant, Green Ant and Thief Ant)
- House of Rot (Hallowicked, Frightmare and Kobald)
- Creatures of the Deep (Oceanea, Merlok and Hermit Crab)
- Team Icarus (Icarus, Travis Huckabee and Tony Deppen)

I guess maybe throw Solo Darling in with the Throwbacks too.