Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gonna be a couple of hours over here, sounds like the verdict is "the trailers didn't let us down"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

What I took away from this episode: for the love of GOD give a brotha a chance to say something heroic

That your car? It was nice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

tsob posted:

Racism is just not a big thing here, because most immigrants tend to be Eastern European (calling that prejudicial problem nationalism seems weird so I'm not sure what you'd call it, but that definitely exists on the other hand) so while I would hope I'm not racist I honestly have no frame of reference to know and watching this might give me at least a tiny bit more education on the matter in case it ever does become relevant.

It's still bigotry and racism, you just tend to get racists hiding behind "well technically..." defenses so people play games with how they define things (and in that time the racist has successfully deflected and made their escape). Ethnocentrism, anti-semitism, et cetera, it's all racism with a sheet over it to make it seem a bit more acceptable or at least something that needs to be attacked separately from racism.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

We probably don't need to know how he started, but it would inform viewers of why he started. Particularly with his specific beef with Tobias Whale and their history. Especially with how Lightning was presumed dead by Whale.

We got that. Tobias killed his newspaper reporter father for an origin story, then he started taking out his anger on all levels of the criminals in town which got on Tobias's tits because they were working for him. Then there's a shootout that leaves Lightning bleeding nearly to death in a bathtub, and since he didn't show up anymore Tobias assumed he was dead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think they *could* flesh it out more if they want to, but I don't think it's necessary and I think it would be easy to overdo it like Arrow.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

MAKE IT SO.

I just got to watch this and I loved everything about it. Williams is a joy to watch every second he's on screen and Mcclain and Nafessa Williams are so good as his daughters. And it's always a pleasure to see James Remar.

Edit: Cress Williams is SIX-FOOT-FIVE. I thought maybe he had on thick boots but drat that man is already that imposing. Now I really want to see an Arrow-verse crossover, just so he can meet Tiny Superman.

Tyler Hochlin is still 6'0, I think that initial photo had James standing on a step or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

I dunno who's playing Tobias but he's a better Kingpin than D'ofrio.

He's played by Krondon, a rapper.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I tuned in for a superhero show and they're giving me some sort of hard character drama. Those wonderful bastards.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is "Blacksploitation" the right term for this show's plot beats? I've never been sure where the actual genre ends and "just slapping it onto any movie with black folks" begins. Or, for that matter, if the term is actually racist and I shouldn't be using it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Isn't that exactly how mithril armour worked?

Well, Frodo got the wind knocked out of him by that cave troll but I think he'd be mashed torso if there's wasn't magic physics-bending involved.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I dont know posted:

There is definitely some blackspoloitation in the shows DNA. But it also seems way more interested in examining and trying to understand violence than sensationalizing it. I personally wouldn't call it a blackspoitation show.

Yeah, that's what was tripping me up about it. I'd just call it a character drama (though thinking about it now that term might be redundant with just drama), but I usually don't like character dramas and something about this one has got me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Because when I decide to watch national politics, I turn to the CW!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I thought the older daughter was the one who broke the sink, now the younger one's punching things across the room like she knew it was possible in the first place? Did I miss a reveal, get people mixed up, or did they skip her initial discovery?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Mix up. Annessa is the older daughter with the powers (so far). She was the one practicing in the junkyard with the washer. Jennifer is the younger daughter (no powers so far, but it's clearly coming), and she was at the funeral.

That'd be it then. I'm slow to learn faces and so hang onto other trappings, Jennifer jumped up so fast for the march that I assumed she was the activist-minded sister from the first episode. It doesn't help that they change hairstyles more in an episode than most TV characters do in an entire show.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 31, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

How old are the daughters?

Jennifer is two years away from college, so 16 or so. Anissa I'm not sure, 25-ish?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Jennifer said she was 18 in this episode

I forgot about that and pinged off the parents saying "in a couple of years she'll be off to college" so I guess I interpreted couple too literally.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

That's the same type of suspension of disbelief that virtually all super hero shows have relied on, Superman/Clark Kent being the most egregious example.

Supergirl too. She doesn't even wear her glasses half the time and nobody's put 2 and 2 together.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That was a rather abrupt ending. I was surprised they were showing a preview for the next episode (in two weeks) during the show, and then annoyed that the news was interrupting before I caught on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh, no episode tonight? Boo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'd imagine after the first guy that tried to leak information got murdered for it, I'd stop trying. At least back then when newspapers and TV were the way to deliver news. This excuse isn't really valid anymore once the internet existed and he could've leaked it himself on the internet.

With things like Eva's comments about his "retirement" and telling Tobias "you're not supposed to be here" I'm guessing they know drat well who leaked to the reporter, and any attempt to leak it again will have... consequences. If he truly thought the Green Lightning stuff was done, he could have rationalized it as not being useful info.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Aww, crap. My bad. Guess I was just filling in the blank everytime someone said the name.

Same here.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Imagine that, Black Jesus."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I assume the quota is to give an excuse for her to notice Jennifer's powers and try to kidnap her.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Did anyone else think Tobias' actor probably should have tried to hit the gym here and there since being cast in a physically-menacing role on a primetime show? Dude had some serious manboobs. At the end when Harry's telling Jefferson "don't get in a physical fight with him!" I couldn't stop thinking "why the hell not? Go crush that pansy." I'm not into bodyshaming, but jeez. They should have made sure to keep his shirt on fulltime if he's got basically no muscle definition whatsoever and he's supposed to be someone who can physically threaten Black Lightning in a fistfight.

The battle of the dadbods.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The side effect of the serum is eternal dad bod.

I found it refreshing that they cast a dude with a real physique and not some chiseled dude.

:agreed:

BL's got the same thing going on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I look forward to seeing what Tobias does with Marcellus Wallace's soul.

And my vote for best line of the night has to be
:rolleyes: "Wow." :science:
I'm easy to please.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I assumed media exposure allowing her lab to publicly take the victims to care for and try to help. But that's guesswork, not subtle clues or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Well, that was an absolutely terrible end to the season. It's like they only just realised they were on the last episode and had to suddenly wrap everything up. The early episodes were really good, but the season as a whole was just a lot of wasted potential. Most of what happened ended up being irrelevant, and after holding off on explaining the bad guys' powers all season they just suddenly go "it's super-expensive cutting edge technology - yes, even the guy who died and came back to life with magic hallucination tattoos". And it ends with a big fight between all the good guys and all the bad guys, and somehow rescuing the metahuman kids off-screen and without explanation.
Mostly agreed, aside from it being terrible.

quote:

And the main bad guy they beat wasn't even the one they spent most of the season building up. I know they want Tobias to still be around in season two, but the guy they actually ended up beating was just some ridiculous caricature that seemed more like one of the lackeys the Green Arrow defeats in a single mid-season episode before he figures out who the real bad guy is.
This season was about the demons of the past. Gambi facing his old sins and guilt rather than hiding from them, Lynn trying to balance being a supportive parent/spouse with her fears that the worst day of her life would happen again, Jefferson's inability to protect his father and old anger at the world, and Tobias shedding his old role as another pawn of the ASA frustrated with his leash to actually being in control. Proctor was a caricature because that's all he had to be; the spectre of a controlling conspiracy that gets knocked over as the characters grow from being pawns into being players.

quote:

And what was the point of Black Lightning losing his powers if he was just going to get them back again as soon as he needed them? What was the point of him being in a coma for half the episode when it didn't actually change anyone's plans? Was it just so they could shoehorn the flashbacks in? What did the flashbacks even tell us that we didn't already know? This episode was both rushed and padded.

"What makes a hero is what they do without their powers" is a trope as old as time. He loses them so that he can make a heroic sacrifice to save his family, which spurs Jennifer to give them back. And the coma/flashbacks are for the aforementioned theme of exorcising old demons.

• Locked thread