Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'm a super white surbanite now, but grew up lower class and went to a school where white kids were a minority.

I appreciate this show. It really forces me to admit my privilege. I grew up in the same place and went to the same school, but we drat sure didn't get the same opportunities. I was racist as gently caress as a kid and didn't even know it because that's just how we did. Parts of my family still have the same casual I'm-not-racist-I'm-a-realist attitude. They're the people who need to watch this show, but they won't. And if they did, it would just make them mad.

I could see them asking "why did Black Lightning hurt those two cops? they were just doing their job. he didn't need to zap them and blow up their car. maybe if wasn't so violent, he'd get better results." Cause there was a time in my life when I would have said the same thing.

Anyway, the ratings for the pilot and the re-airing of the pilot are fantastic. It gives me hope. This is a show we desperately need right now. This, along with Black Panther are a long time coming. We got our Wonder Woman, now it's your turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I hate that they killed Eve. She was a bad rear end lady villain that didn't rely on seduction and sex. It's a bunch of dudes now.

Lightning guns? Really? Where did those come from?

And, "Do you believe in the resurrection?" + instant magic ghost tattoo was an ending right out of Legion.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Lord Bude posted:

Wasn’t the tattoo a picture of lady Eve? Pretty sure it’s her in a new body. Or at least some higher power that was in her body initially.

Pretty sure it was LaWanda, the lady looking for her daughter that Lala murdered.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MiddleOne posted:

That was the most ridiculous loving thing.

Especially since, if he's trying to frame Black Lightning, the organization he works for has to be completely in the dark about where he got them. So that leaves????? He's secretly a super-genius?

Edit: like I told my wife, "that's some comic book poo poo, right there."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Loving Lala's condition. That ghost: she ain't' there to help. Coming back from the dead like going to hell for him.

Also, everything about the Pierce family is so refreshing and the opposite of everything else in the Arrowverse. Training Anissa because they know she's going to go out and be a hero anyway is a much better response much faster then similar stuff with Wally on Flash. Keeping secrets causes problems has been the motto of Arrow since day one.
This family talks and trusts and it is awesome.
Jennifer going straight to Anissa was so real. Same with Anissa trying to solve her own issue by herself until she realized it was too much for her. Anissa clearly taking after her mom and Jennifer taking after he dad are so well done. I love this family.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rocksicles posted:

Motherfucker didn't do anything. He was there, had a job, didn't like it and bailed, went full whistleblower and helped raise him into who he is. Sure he kept a secret, but WHo's Jefferson to stomp on someone keeping secrets.

Besties in 2 weeks. Book it.

He's clearly be lying to both sides for decades. We honestly don't know what he has or has not done at this point.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bruceski posted:

With things like Eva's comments about his "retirement" and telling Tobias "you're not supposed to be here" I'm guessing they know drat well who leaked to the reporter, and any attempt to leak it again will have... consequences. If he truly thought the Green Lightning stuff was done, he could have rationalized it as not being useful info.

Overlapping your CW shows there.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

I think of it like a traffic light. Green Light.

Edit: But does anyone else think it's weird that they were trying to design a drug to make everyone docile but instead created metahumans and a street drug that gives people super strength? How bad was their chemist?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rhyno posted:

James Remar was in his day too.

dat voice do

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ApeHawk posted:

"Hey, where and when should we plant this big bag of evidence in his car?"

"In broad daylight, sirens blaring, in front of the entire school, facing the windows."

"GENIUS!"

That was part of their plan: humiliate the well-loved powerful black man to put him and everyone who looks up to him in their place. It was entirely on purpose.

Edit: they wanted poo poo to get messy but he MLKed the gently caress out of everybody and made the cops look like assholes.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ApeHawk posted:

No, I mean, how did no one see them plant the evidence? They weren't being particularly stealthy.

Does it matter if someone saw it? They are cops. Even if you have it on video, when it is white cops vs black kids, you know who gets the benefit of the doubt.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The point was that it doesn't take much to frame a black man, even the flimsiest of see-through planted evidence in broad daylight is okay, because the man they are arresting is black. And, believe it or not, black people are still not treated very well in the American justice system and when it's the word of dozens of black students vs two white cops and a black cop, the cops are going to win. Every time.
That's it. That's the point. It was a sloppy, telegraphed attack that was nonetheless 100% successful because racism. Racism is real and bad and happens every single loving day.
Nobody needs to over-analyze so much. It is what it is and it is a horrible reminder that yep, that's the world we live in, at least in the USA.

Edit: it's the point of most of the things that happen on the show to be honest. I guess more people are blind to how it really is than I thought. I'm super-loving white but grew up in the South, so this poo poo just jumps out at me as the same tired, broken poo poo I saw all the time.

Edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CmzT4OV-w0

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 6, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Avalerion posted:

I don't think he's supposed to be "physically intimidating". This is his comic counterpart:

I discovered his comic book nickname is "The White Whale". He ain't buff, but he is strong.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
That reveal on Syonide was just for the audience, right? I don't think Anissa saw it.

Maybe Jeff can finally put it together that Tobias is enhanced when he gets out of his coma.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

evilmiera posted:

Binged through the show during the last few days. It feels a bit uneven at times, but so far at least it has a leg up over a lot of other superhero shows I've stopped watching.

Black Lightning got hit with a dart that turned off his powers. Not sure where they are going with that.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

hamsystem posted:

I just want to say that the guy playing La La is killing it.

No doubt. His acting while he was being controlled by Tobias was fantastic. Thanks for reminding me.

Edit: Everybody underestimated Tobias. Even me. I did not expect him to be the one pulling La La's strings. That was a stellar reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

muscles like this! posted:

One thing that definitely felt like they missed a step was Anissa becoming a known hero. Which feels like it should have happened after Gambi gave her the suit but apparently she was known as Thunder when she was just running around in the wig and bodysuit?

Two episodes ago, maybe (?) Jennifer showed Anissa a YouTube video where a dude did a mix talking about 'dat rear end' and was going to show her some of the sites that talked about her being a hero.

• Locked thread