Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
What I took away from this episode: for the love of GOD give a brotha a chance to say something heroic

Jumped on board on the ground floor and couldn't be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alter Ego posted:

This was a great palate cleanser after watching that retarded Flash episode.

Pierce is a loving badass and I love the overarching social injustice issues. It's gonna piss the right wingers off something fierce.

One thing I don't get--how did Pierce become Black Lightning in the first place? We never quite got the origin story explanation other than "he used to be a superhero, then hung up the costume".

In the comics, he was a metahuman at birth and turned out to be stupidly powerful. How they're going to handle it here, I dunno.

Loved that he was wearing his original costume in the video of the convenience store robbery. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I dunno who's playing Tobias but he's a better Kingpin than D'ofrio.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

I've never met a black guy under 6'2".

So you've never seen Kevin Hart. Got it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Gonna need some more extended fight scenes to Am I Black Enough for You as soon as possible tia show

TwoPair posted:

e: So wasn't Lala like 10 stories up? How did BL just hop the balcony so easy? Can he do the superhero 3 point landing?

I assume he did a lightning blast thing to slow his fall and walk off.

God drat if the best scene in this entire thing wasn't him just walkin' the street and having guys hold doors for him while he's going in to beat the poo poo out of people. That was incredible.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Avalerion posted:

I liked the pilot, and really love the costume and that they didn’t try to make it more “realistic” - actualy looks like something from a comic book. :D

Don’t mind the lack of a proper origin story per see, would like to know more about how his powers work though. At first I thought he was straight up frying people and that’s why he’s seen as a vigilante - but now it seems more like force bolts/telekinesis than electricity.

His powers are generalized electricity control. The LIGHTNING PUNCH is one of his signature moves from the comics, which doesn't actually shock people so much as hit super hard because SpeedLightningforce.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

If it's anything like the suit in the newest comics, the glowing bits are supposedly charged by his own ambient electric field (and I guess it's implied he can affect electricity around him).

I hope we get some sly reference to his original costume

We already did. He was watching video from the Old Days when he had a similar costume to the comics, and the grocery store clerk made a Parliament reference while talking about him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

The description would match with the original, but the video looked more like his 90s-2000s outfit.

v:shobon:v

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm glad the Rev survived. I'm white as hell and the motherfucker moved me.

I love this goddamn show so much.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

I really likes the whole argument between Jefferson, the Rev, and the cop. Three community leaders who all seems to sincerely want the same thing and all have legitimate points about the methods to get there.

Like, I'm really intrigued by the cop because I can't quite figure him out. In another show he'd be crooked or at least blindly obsessed with catching the vigilante. But he actually seems on the up and up. I'm curious to see if that holds up and when/if Jefferson lets him in on his secret.

Also very curious to see when his kids find out. It all seems very set up for Black Lightning to cross paths with Anissa in the streets and for Jennifer to find out when she finds her dad convulsing in pain on the floor with electric bursts.

And Tobias is an interesting villain and now I'm not even sure if he's the top of his food chain.

Generally there's just a lot of stuff I'm interested in going on. I'm hooked.

The cop is incredibly interesting because he's legitimately trying to do the right thing within an increasingly corrupt system and he's one of the last people trying to reform it. If he turns out to be on the take I'm almost certain it'll be protection money for family or a ruse to nail Tobias that got out of hand, but I honestly don't think he is.

Wanna see him grow into a commissioner Gordon role with black lightning tho.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also how the gently caress do these people not instantly recognize Jeff when he shows up somewhere in his civvies, threatens them, leaves, and then shows up again 20 minutes later wearing that same beard, a super suit, and a pair of lovely sunglasses that don’t actually disguise his face?

Like, I love this show so much, and it’s otherwise perfect, but I’ll just never get over that one.

Uh excuse me I think you'll find he changes them to mirrored shades when he knows someone :rolleye:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm really disliking Gambi and the way he seems to think it's his job to manage the information Pierce receives.

He's up to something. I don't know what, but it's not good. At best he's trying to keep Pierce from knowing Tobias is alive so he doesn't do something stupid. At worst he's manipulating Black Lightning to his own end.

Political commentary: the well off white guy is helping BL out, ostensibly out of altruism, but still using him to his own ends. Gods I love this show.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Who the hell did they find to play Syonide? She's like 6'6" and 40 pounds. :stare:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

8one6 posted:

According to her wiki Charlbi Dean is from South Africa. She's also apparently a fashon model, so that explains her being rail thin.

She's really good at emoting posture, too. Every time she's on the screen, the only thing I can think of is how she looks like a snake.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I must find out the weakness of my enemy. Now let's google what health problems albinos have :v:

Goddamn Anissa's outfit is still hella goofy.

Yeah, I was about to say. Gambi better hook her up with something because hoo boy Black Looker is not a good costume.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Two things.

One, gonna need that bullet slide from Syonide in GIF form post haste.

Two, as long as you're in there, let's get one of the cut between the detective and Jefferson followed by "Sup."

e: Okay one more thing: Jefferson, for the love of gods, stop using the Lightning Shield. You're now 2 for 2 on someone getting the poo poo maimed/murdered out of them due to ricochet.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
God loving drat I love this show.

Most DC Shows: "oh no we have been framed, we will now spend 10 episodes struggling with the moral dilemmas and how we can no longer protect ourselves"
Black Lightning: "Huh, the police are after us. Welp, back to training! *montage set to kung fu fighting*"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

The promo for next week looks great too. I can't wait to see Jefferson, Anissa and Jennifer all out there being a super hero family. And I really hope Jeff and Gambi settle their poo poo real quick because they're probably gonna need his shifty rear end sooner rather than later. Hell, they need him to make Jen's costume :v:

I love how they're somehow keeping up a breakneck pace without actually rushing the plot. Ain't got no time for emo bullshit, there's crime to fight. :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aleph Null posted:

Loving Lala's condition. That ghost: she ain't' there to help. Coming back from the dead like going to hell for him.

Also, everything about the Pierce family is so refreshing and the opposite of everything else in the Arrowverse. Training Anissa because they know she's going to go out and be a hero anyway is a much better response much faster then similar stuff with Wally on Flash. Keeping secrets causes problems has been the motto of Arrow since day one.
This family talks and trusts and it is awesome.
Jennifer going straight to Anissa was so real. Same with Anissa trying to solve her own issue by herself until she realized it was too much for her. Anissa clearly taking after her mom and Jennifer taking after he dad are so well done. I love this family.

Pulling for Lynn to take over as SUPER SCIENCE GENIUS of the team if/when Gambi's past catches up with him and puts him in the ground.

Wanna see a superhero family :3

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Murderion posted:

Given that an issue of The Outsiders appeared in one episode, it's implied that most DC superheroes only exist in comic books.

This is actually DC canon: certain people are "attuned" to other dimensions as basically comic book oracles and write fiction they unknowingly observe. It gets doubly fucky because the real world actually exists in DC and is (well, was) called Earth Prime.

OTOH it was probably just meant as a cute namedrop and I now I want Lynn to get a totem :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Phenotype posted:

This would actually be a neat way for a superhero to support himself instead of having a day job, and I'd be willing to bet it's been done before. But Barry oughta find these guys and make them cut him in on the business, especially now that he's sorta fired from the police department.

I'm imagining Barry showing up in civil court in his uniform, just sitting there at the table blurring his face and voice while his lawyer asks witnesses banal questions about copyright laws.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I literally winced when I saw the vice principal was the spotter. That's some good backstab right there.

Also jesus Skye P. Marshall is inhumanly attractive.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ahaha that old lady trying to drop things on Black Lightning.

Any scene with Two Bit and Black Lightning is comedy loving gold.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope they explain why they are just keeping those powered kids on ice. Doesn't seem like they are experimenting on them so why does the vice principal lady have a quota?

He's competent and a good cop. Outlook not so good. :ohdear:

I haven't watched latest yet so lol if I'm wrong but they're not gonna kill the Commissioner Gordon figure.

(narrator: "they did")

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

"Imagine that, Black Jesus."

Never have I wanted to punch another human being harder.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aleph Null posted:

The point was that it doesn't take much to frame a black man, even the flimsiest of see-through planted evidence in broad daylight is okay, because the man they are arresting is black. And, believe it or not, black people are still not treated very well in the American justice system and when it's the word of dozens of black students vs two white cops and a black cop, the cops are going to win. Every time.
That's it. That's the point. It was a sloppy, telegraphed attack that was nonetheless 100% successful because racism. Racism is real and bad and happens every single loving day.
Nobody needs to over-analyze so much. It is what it is and it is a horrible reminder that yep, that's the world we live in, at least in the USA.

Edit: it's the point of most of the things that happen on the show to be honest. I guess more people are blind to how it really is than I thought. I'm super-loving white but grew up in the South, so this poo poo just jumps out at me as the same tired, broken poo poo I saw all the time.

Edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CmzT4OV-w0

Somewhat heartening: There's a black superhero show (and not just a superhero who's black) on the air right now, and not only is "yo gently caress the police" being blared over a bullhorn for everyone to hear, but the people watching it are all :hai:.

Cultural changes help, especially for the next generation. This show is part of that and it owns owns owns.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What was that supposed to be under Syonide's skin? Is she a lizard person? :tinfoil:

IIRC, Syonide has poison blood, hence the name. Given how she acts in the rest of the series, though, I wouldn't be surprised if she's a goddamn snake woman in a human suit.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Lot to take in this episode: *deep breath*

• Syonide's origin story and powers :black101:
  • Lala becoming the new Tattooed Man
  • Jennifer continues to be delightful
  • "Wow."
  • SHOCKWAVE STOMP

*exhales*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So did I mishear Lynn, or did she say "Never mind, I know someone who can help" before they jump cut to the kids being saved? It's probably a S2 hook but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tiggum posted:

Well, that was an absolutely terrible end to the season. It's like they only just realised they were on the last episode and had to suddenly wrap everything up. The early episodes were really good, but the season as a whole was just a lot of wasted potential. Most of what happened ended up being irrelevant, and after holding off on explaining the bad guys' powers all season they just suddenly go "it's super-expensive cutting edge technology - yes, even the guy who died and came back to life with magic hallucination tattoos". And it ends with a big fight between all the good guys and all the bad guys, and somehow rescuing the metahuman kids off-screen and without explanation.

And the main bad guy they beat wasn't even the one they spent most of the season building up. I know they want Tobias to still be around in season two, but the guy they actually ended up beating was just some ridiculous caricature that seemed more like one of the lackeys the Green Arrow defeats in a single mid-season episode before he figures out who the real bad guy is.

And what was the point of Black Lightning losing his powers if he was just going to get them back again as soon as he needed them? What was the point of him being in a coma for half the episode when it didn't actually change anyone's plans? Was it just so they could shoehorn the flashbacks in? What did the flashbacks even tell us that we didn't already know? This episode was both rushed and padded.

Glad to see you survived your fun-ectomy, hope you get well soon :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I think there's been some pacing issues and this finale felt very compressed and like they threw a bunch of exposition in and glossed over some big stuff.

But how do you do not see that the point of Jefferson losing his powers was to empower Jennifer as a hero? And that Jefferson's coma let us meet his father and had him face his own guilt about his dad's death and find some personal peace. I thought it was some of the best parts of the episode.

Along with Tobias just fully embracing being a comic book villain and handing out codenames and knocking down pieces while cackling. I'm glad him and his team survived.

Syonide is a delight as a legbreaker heavy and I hope she stays on the show forever. :allears:

• Locked thread