Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm loving the fight:drama ratio they've got going here. Make a really good show with compelling characters, then right before the end, make sure you cram in one scene of the hero kicking the poo poo out of a whole building worth of goons, roll credits. Okay, not quite credits immediately but still.

e: So wasn't Lala like 10 stories up? How did BL just hop the balcony so easy? Can he do the superhero 3 point landing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

You must be new to DC shows. Batman might as well be made out of titanium.

tbf it's way more than just superhero shows that treat kevlar like it's magic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

If Black Lightning was closer to a more typical Arrowverse show it'd basically be Black Dynamite with DC Comics characters.

You know, that doesn't sound bad, really...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

He's up to something. I don't know what, but it's not good. At best he's trying to keep Pierce from knowing Tobias is alive so he doesn't do something stupid. At worst he's manipulating Black Lightning to his own end.

Political commentary: the well off white guy is helping BL out, ostensibly out of altruism, but still using him to his own ends. Gods I love this show.

Yeah, I wish we had some idea of what his endgame is. Like, he isn't directily working with the 100 since he wants BL back, but he isn't helping BL as well as he could be. He's taking off with a shotgun to a crime scene for... reasons? Best case scenario he recognized the daughter and was coming to provide backup, worst case he was coming to take her down and we get the reveal that the reason this show doesn't have as many metas as Flash/Arrow is because Gambi's been hunting and killing them behind the scenes as soon as they surface. I guess Flash has gotten me too used to villains very clearly spelling out their whole plan and/or the show revealing it for them.

I hope he gets redeemed and doesn't go full heel. I like his ridiculous unexplained Gambi-cave too much to lose him in a mid-season finale or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I liked the episode but Anissa blowing up the statue was kinda silly. Like here goes her power stomp which blows up this statue but not the base it's on and it doesn't damage the ground. But I guess a few people very poorly pretended to fall over so her power can be visibly dangerous.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

I love how the universe has been pretty drat grounded outside of the super-powers and then wham, suddenly we're inside an episode of The Flash.

I see it like when they suddenly got super bullets in Luke Cage. They already had the tech but it was totally unnecessary until they wanted to use it to hurt (albeit not physically) Black Lightning.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised/very relieved that we finally get the Gambi reveal now instead of making it some season ending cliffhanger.

Also I appreciate Tobias' guys burying people in a shallow grave but leaving the nuke-powered lightning gun just sitting in the open.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Those two things along with skipping the origin story has earned this show a lot of credit with me. They're just avoiding almost every mistake this genre makes over and over again and it's such a nice change.

That's not really a problem as far as I can see. No one really knows him, and that includes the audience. He's lying to everyone all the time and it would feel really artificial to signal to the audience that actually this is the real him. There probably is no real him. He is the lies.

Well, he's pretty clearly been involved in some pretty shady stuff, and I wouldn't say he went full whistleblower because he never came forward publicly or even made a second attempt to get the information out.

I'd imagine after the first guy that tried to leak information got murdered for it, I'd stop trying. At least back then when newspapers and TV were the way to deliver news. This excuse isn't really valid anymore once the internet existed and he could've leaked it himself on the internet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

An episode or two back, was it my imagination, or did Anissa/Thunder take a bullet to the head and it ricocheted off? That'd be a trip if Black Lightning's daughters are bullet proof, but he isn't.

Yeah she can take a bullet as long as she's in super mode (when she does that way too loud inhaling sound) but of course that means she's more than open for one whenever she's not prepped for it.

BL had a much better defense with his lightning shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

Black Lightning got hit with a dart that turned off his powers. Not sure where they are going with that.

I thought it was just a tranq dart. Otherwise why would Khalil be shooting random students with power inhibitors?

evilmiera posted:

Binged through the show during the last few days. It feels a bit uneven at times, but so far at least it has a leg up over a lot of other superhero shows I've stopped watching.

A little bit uncertain about them going the route of superpowering so many people so soon though. That gets boring real fast.

One of the unfortunate facts of the show is that, at the end of the day, it's still a superhero show, which means there's gonna have to be super villains instead of the regular kind.

• Locked thread