Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
If finances aren't a problem, can you ask your rich family members for a job when you graduate?

Alternately, what kinds of jobs are you looking for? I'm thinking of something like actuary work, where all you need is to pass your exams and that's what they care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Okay, well I'm not qualified to answer how to get a normal job in your shoes barring nepotism. If it were me, instead of doing a lovely unpaid intership, I'd start my own marketing company. Read, read, read, learn how to do social media campaigns and try to book some companies for cheap or free to get experience. At worst, you learn a lot about business, entrepreneurship, and some specific internet marketing strategies, plus a great resume booster. At best, you start making big bucks and you have a job without needing to get hired.

But that's me, I like entrepreneurship. when you're young, it's easier to go balls to the wall in a startup and failure doesn't mean disaster. Right now the most important thing you can do is build your skillset, and learn learn learn as much as possible. I doubt a intern position will do that for you, but if you're not a self starter then you might need the structure. You know your strengths, what do you think?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Nirvikalpa posted:

I'm thinking of working in something like marketing or sales. I like the idea of data science but I don't know if I'm qualified. I like making and interpreting surveys, but I might need more statistics classes before anyone cares.

Doesn't being an actuary require a Math degree? I don't have that kind of skill.
Also pull your head out of your rear end about being "qualified", nobody cares about how many stats classes you take. Can you do useful things with surveys? If so, charge for it. If not, learn what you need to learn to do useful things, then charge for it. No class in the world is as helpful as the internet in learning how to do useful things. What businesses need surveys? I dunno, go ask some business owners what they need. Google that poo poo. Don't expect college to spoonfeed you the answers, it won't happen that way.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Nirvikalpa posted:

How do I get in contact with business owners?
Pick up a phone, holy cow you're not kidding about not having the entrepreneurial spirit huh

quote:

Do employers not care about coursework?
99% do not give a gently caress

quote:

I'm also looking to see what the result will be if I apply to internships with Cisco or Red Hat or something. Are employers going to throw my resume into the trash if they see my GPA?
Yes.

Get thee to your college's career services department and start begging them for help finding a internship.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Like, a program just to learn a language? Here's a loving crazy idea, take that money and buy a plane ticket and learn to speak the language by speaking the language. Jesus Christ, a prestigious language program? Nobody but nobody is going to give a poo poo.

• Locked thread