Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Looking forward to some

this AGDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

And if anyone was wondering, there will be no Twitch bits incentives this time around.

What? Then how are we supposed to fill pages explaining to people what Twitch bits are and then discussing how stupid they are?!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I am pre-emptively calling Ocarina of Time the worst run of the marathon.

I was looking for other runs over two hours to complain about and for some weird reason they're all Mario or Zelda games where people are playing them in a way that takes way too much time. Even the obligatory Final Fantasy run is faster than those runs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

$0 with free shipping? I'd be cutting limbs off: left and right!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Worldshatter posted:

Last time was surprisingly drama light iirc except for the poo poo surrounding the BOTW run

There was also Dark Souls drama.

There's always Dark Souls drama.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

wasn't there also something about the botw run using weird poo poo like amiibos or something

I think most people have accepted the Amiibo stuff is perfectly fine for Wii U based runs since it's built into the games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

He couldn't wait one day...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SoftNum posted:

OK it's bothering me. Is that his tonker at the bottom?

I think it's obvious by now that PJ gets a sexual thrill from breaking equipment.

It's pretty obviously a finger.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Mods, please ban everyone who didn't vote Funky Kong.

You misspelled "Cranky Kong". :colbert:

I thought we were saving explaining the Great Ape War for when the marathon was live.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You really wanna step to the King of DAIKATANA?

Can confirm. Strangelove is the 2017 Daikatana World Champion.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't even like Silent Hill and I'm tempted by the "So it was all your work!" design.

I'm definitely getting the Bubsy shirt, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Also wish more people were around to see Might & Magic VI live from last SGDQ, since it was run early morning EU time. It's also where the various

reaction shots are from. If you didn't, you still have time.

I found it amusing how many people reacted to them because we found those faces hilarious back when M&M6 was new...

Also, bought my bobcat shirt because everyone must know that was I was dumb enough to buy and play Bubsy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Soup du Jour posted:

So none of the runs day 1 are really grabbing me, anyone have one they want to sell me on?

For some reason I've generally found the day 1 runs to not be very interesting. F-Zero GX is the only racing game worth speedrunning, though. I think Blaster Master Zero might be interesting. If you like watching Batman teleport through walls everywhere then Arkham Asylum can be a fun run.

I notice that there's already been some schedule slide. They've gotten started early with that. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Woop! Stream just went from replaying old GDQ runs to a pre-show screen! I guess I better do my grocery run now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm back from the store. What good runs did I miss in the past 40 minutes?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As I understand chat during a twitch stream, we're supposed to constantly spam pictures of a dog, right?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I am getting old because that status bar at the bottom is tiny

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The only race worth watching will be Athena.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

They still haven't gotten rid of the hideous murder carpet in that ballroom, I see.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DS Dad has got his reserved seat in the front row.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

I feel like hearing half of these previews are making me hyped and also just "How the gently caress does that even work?" I'm looking at you, Punch Out and Super Punch Out at the same time on 1 controller.

I think Super Punch Out is slightly faster so he should finish it before having to fight Tyson, but that run is going to be insane.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I couldn't get the Strider glitches to work for me. :smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zeikier posted:

I watched Mike Uyama play through Ex-Mutants during some of his Sub-Terrania runs. I thought I was the only one who knew that game existed and I'm kinda bummed he isn't running that.

Some of us read the comics.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Snaking has leaked into non-Mario Kart games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

Holy poo poo, is the background the time in binary? I just thought they were flashing lights. That's just so awesome.

Holy poo poo, it is BCD!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

hot take: the visual behind the clock is annoying and distracting when i'm trying to watch a cool speedrun

The effect is soft enough that it doesn't draw attention for me so it just looks nifty.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Crash runs are better with threats of murder-suicide.

Maybe he can crash his run intentionally at the very end.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Man it took a while for the LOL AWFUL GAMES BLOCK jokes to start dropping this year, I'm disappointed.

Of course it did. The Sonic block isn't until tomorrow.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Slickdrac posted:

Stream dying a bit? Or just my connection dying?

I was thinking it was the PS4 Twitch app, but it seems to have come back for the moment.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Is this Dixie Kong

She's Dixie's off brand Mexican supermarket generic equivalent.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

Its been long enough, give us a crash 4 a la Megaman 9

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The new interface is a bit busy and tiny in some places, but I like the incentive progress bars.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I need to pick out a game to play while the marathon is going. I think I'll play something with a lot of autoscrolling like Panzer Dragoon...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm watching on an official Twitch app this year and this is the first time I've ever seen one of their commercials.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Did You Know Gaming: proving you with easily-looked-up-able facts since 1972.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

Okay what the point of having a ad for "What Remains of Ethan Fitch". Didn't that come out like three years ago?

They want to get some more speedrunners into it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Huh. The Infamous games are always dull as dirt but I thought the speedrun might at least have something of interest. I guess not.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

so continuity literally changes in order to gently caress you over no matter what you pick?

that's hilariously stupid game design

It's called a magician's choice and it's been around forever. It is pretty lazy in video game narratives, though, since if you want a narrative outcome then just force it instead of jerking the player around.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"I got it?!"

[Very tepid clapping.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

really? I thought there were two :psyduck: (I saw another at a different GDQ event, though I can't really remember anything from that one either)

Okay, there was the lovely first one that they gave way for free after leaking everyone's security data.

Then there was a lovely second game that I don't know anything about because why would you play a second one.

Then there was one about vampires but that might have been a DLC but either way it was run at a GDQ.

And then there was the PS4 one near launch that when they announced at an E3 everyone went, "Why?" which I think is this one but I obviously really do not give two shits about this series.

• Locked thread