Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Your favorite poster (me) is mad there's no dk64/dkc block this year. Dk64 is the most magical time to post here. I'll def take dkc2 (the best dk game) over nothing tho.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

One more day left everyone

Am I the only one who thinks posting here is an integral part of the gdq experience? I don't know how much enjoyment I'd even get out of it by myself after so many gdqs in the bank if not for my postin pals :h:
This is kinda silly, but watching runs after the marathon feels kinda meh? There is something about watching them live.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Real slick overlay this year.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is there going to be a humble bundle
There hasn't been a humble bundle for a few years now. Also the company got bought by...IGN? so that may have also caused issues.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Was...was that a Sonic Boom style jump glitch :stonk:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hey!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fishing with Ratchet

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Awful Block rules, friend.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This should be good.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Did Splatoon 2 have really good miiverse art? They had the most obscure references and really subversive poo poo that I couldn't get enough of. Does switch even have a miiverse equivalent or is it gone :negative:
It has a shitpost art equivalent but no actual miiverse.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dias posted:

...huh, that poo poo actually means something?
The bars, from bottom to top are 1, then 2, then 4, then 8.

The columns, from left to right, measure hours, tens of minutes, minutes, tens of seconds, seconds, milliseconds

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Reverse Swear Jar: donate to make your favorite runners say gently caress

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I like this thread; it's nice and woomy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"How many fists am I at?"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dias posted:

now you gotta commit calamari
Shrimppeku

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

:rip:....?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did the game load up a horse's rear end, then go back to loading

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alduin may have died, but he got his his 26.3 seconds over estimate :smaug:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Corek posted:

Isn't Yooka-Laylee... not a good game
Donkey Kong 64 isn't either so

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I remember the one run back in 2014 or something where the runner gave the AI like a lap or two lead and still won.

That run ruled. F-Zero runs rule. F-Zero rules.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zelder posted:

He can't even see the article!!
But it's how political cartoonists do it!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

im glad im going to work, maybe 14 hours from now will have interesting runs
Yooka-Laylee has potential.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I remember Excitebots being a sleeper run. poo poo was on a whole other level.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0

They should have retired GX from rotation after this one. Much like Naegleria was.
What happened to him?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

emdash posted:

the cgn fzero gx story run from agdq 2014was awesome
They've tried to recapture that run, but I think the story mode is just too hard, and the number of people running it and running it well is very tiny.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only good news is that UA & co. are really good at ironing out some of these issues so the VODs are at least watchable.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"Please clap."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ThePagey posted:

People keep saying that but I'm guessing they're going to throw it in as a donation incentive like they did with BotW at SGDQ last year.
The deadline for submissions was after BotW was released. For AGDQ I think the cutoff was September or early October, right before Mario released.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ThePagey posted:

True, fair, I just don't think it's unreasonable for them to throw in a surprise run of it on the last day. I'm 100% certain there are some of the better Odyssey runners at the event who could do it.

If not, my guess is like a longer category will close out SGDQ this year.
I have no idea what the logistics are like for a marathon, but I imagine they're pretty strict on the deadline. But they do have some impromptu runs added via incentives.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I had no idea most of these were kickstarted so cheers
Because they tend to be low-key games that work within their means, instead of being SPIRITUAL REVIVALS that try to replicate AAA experiences despite Kickstarter being laughably insufficient for getting that kind of money. They're mostly praying they get the funding and can then show an investor that the game has public interest and is a safe investment it loving isn't

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Someone mentioned that he submitted (some forgettable game that I've already forgotten) and it wasn't accepted, but he was going to try submitting something again for SGDQ

at this point they really need to accept the fact that it's not a speedrun thing anymore and start accepting people based on their entertainment ability, or at least get the pure-runners a decent couch statler and waldorf style
I think there's value in a non-humorous couch. People love Blechy's commentary because it's clearly well-scripted and researched, and that's the kind of stuff we need instead of just praying the people on the couch can work a crowd.

And mixing things up is good too. The lack of Super Metroid is a sign they understand the need to keep the schedule varied.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

i was extremely doubtful that they’d break 2 million this year anyway since a huge chunk of that came from a surprise bamco anime pack in the final day or so that was filled to the brim with incredible poo poo. they kinda tried to do that again at sgdq but it was a bit underwhelming.

i don’t really see that lightning striking twice, but my concern now if they don’t hit it is that dweeboid idiots are going to point to it as GDQ becoming “too corporate/SJW”
Milestones also drive donations. It generates a lot of excitement, and people who were on the fence about donating now want to help hit that big number. With that gone you need the day-to-day audience/donations to grow to get to that home stretch on the final day, and right now 2018 is doing a little bit better than 2017 so I highly doubt 3 million or even 2.5 is in the cards.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don't know how you can explain this game's "plot" in front of thousands without dying of shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Squashing Machine posted:

one thousand empty chairs watch an unrepentant pervert instruct a penguin to steal women's underwear
I think he's recovering stolen underwear, so it's at least...the right thing to do???

Also, thanks for noting the belt bra, dude. Real...good observation.

• Locked thread