Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

I'm heading to Guam in May for a vacation that will focus on snorkeling from the beach. While it is my first trip there, I have done a bunch of snorkeling over the last 5 years in Hawaii. I am also scuba certified, but I won't be doing any diving in Guam. Perhaps next time.

On my trips to Hawaii, I found the "Hawaii Revealed" books very useful. While they covered a bunch of material (hiking, culture, food, ...) I found their snorkeling guides extremely useful. For the best beaches, they would typically have a map showing the best location to enter the water (if it wasn't obvious), where the snorkeling is typically excellent, what areas to avoid (narrow channels for example [strong currents]).

So I wanted to find something similar for Guam, and I ended up buying Tim Rock's book. Unfortunately the book does a very poor job of covering the material I am looking for. Not only does it not have maps, the text is written for divers who arrive by boat, something I won't be doing.

So, can anybody recommend me a book/webpage that covers Guam's usual suspects in a way that I will benefit from? The only webpage I found covers just two beaches (http://www.snorkeling-report.com/spot/snorkeling-tumon-bay-guam/), which is pretty sad.

I've attached a picture showing what kind of detail I am looking for. A text explaining the dangers would be great too. I am interested in maps for the following locations: Haputo Beach, Shark Cove, Piti Bomb Holes, GabGab Beach, Ypao Beach, FaiFai Beach, Gun Beach, Cetti Bay, Agat coral gardens, Pati Point Preserve.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks. I sure would appreciate some rough mspaint sketches. I remember in Hawaii, there were a couple of locations where it looked like there was nothing to be seen if one were to go on, but the maps clearly showed that there was something to be seen if one powered through. Sure enough, I got to see some neat stuff that was off the beaten path. Don't bother with anything on East facing beaches. Those look way too scary for me.

I know Haputo beach is off limits, but I also read this, so I wanted to be prepared if I got lucky/in. But with all the poo poo with the missile threat scare in Hawaii, and all the talk about North Korea, perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Excellent, thanks.

If I had energy for just one day (or half day) of boat-based snorkeling, what location(s) would you recommend? I'd prefer a tour where I spend more time snorkeling than boating to the location.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Abugadu posted:

I would probably do Coral Gardens outside of Agat, or if it's windy, Western Shoals inside the harbor.

Thanks I'll look into this. I've only done one boat-based snorkeling tour, and it was a mixed bag. Good: Excellent visibility. Bad: We saw nothing that we didn't see from our beach-based trips, the boat crew confined the snorkeling area big-time.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Awesome, thanks for the extra maps.

• Locked thread