Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Random Stranger posted:

I've been kicking around the idea of doing a weird, long form comics commentary thing and this might make for some fun practice. So I'm in.

You get 472. Batman #598 (Santa Klaus is Coming to Town!)

Hope that's sufficiently obscure for you. Its on Comixology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

You got 73. The Demon v1 #1-8, Jack Kirby's incredibly weird horror superhero comic barely anyone remembers.

As in Etrigan?! Oh hell yes...

You get 11. Jack Staff: Everything Used to Be Black and White (vol. 1). One of the best indie comics ever, or at least according to Chris Sims.

He's not wrong. Paul Grist is frustratingly sporadic with his output, but I have yet to read anything of his I didn't like.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You get 472. Batman #598 (Santa Klaus is Coming to Town!)

Hope that's sufficiently obscure for you. Its on Comixology.

Haven't read it and it's not on my shelves so it's a good start. :v: It's a Brubaker issue apparently and it seems to be collected with the Bruce Wayne Fugitive story which would be a good reason for me never to have read it. Cool cover, though. Can't wait to check it out.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

49. Daredevil #284-290: The Man Without Mercy

Nicely done, I need to get back to my Daredevil read through. I was about 10 issues into Nocenti's run when I wandered off to other things. I'll gamble and take another spin please, though I probably won't get to this one as fast unless it's a single issue.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bagrada posted:

Nicely done, I need to get back to my Daredevil read through. I was about 10 issues into Nocenti's run when I wandered off to other things. I'll gamble and take another spin please, though I probably won't get to this one as fast unless it's a single issue.

You get 355. Batman #417-420 (nice.), Ten Nights of the Beast. The first KGBeast story, and a Starlin classic! Good pull.

All four issues are on Comixology.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I know nothing about Falcon, other than that he got mocked a lot in Twisted Toyfare Theater, but the origin of his falcon link from the 2001 Avengers Annual is intriguing:

edit--is there some way to keep signed in on Marvel Unlimited? By the time I finish one issue, I have to sign in again.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
JLA: Year One #1-12 (1998)
Mark Waid, Brian Augustyn, Barry Kitson

Mark Waid's greatest strengths and his biggest blindspots are eerily close to one another, and can make picking up a Waid comic-- especially a latterday Waid comic like Champions-- a bit of a gamble. He has an unshakeable confidence in the grammar of the super hero comic, and unlike Morrison, who sees the deep syntax of a language not really yet articulated in the medium, Waid is usually pretty content to take the topoi at work at their word rather than attempting to interrogate them and rebuild from their constituent elements. If there could be a neoclassicism of cape comics-- let's say Mark Gruenwald and Kurt Busiek are also under this umbrella-- Waid is one of its peak practitioners. At his worst this means he produces some generic, workmanlike comics, but at his best his complete fluency with the formula allows him to embellish that formula with all kinds of grace notes and flights of fancy that can result in real beauty, or, at least, a lot of fun and charm.

JLA: Year One then-- cowritten by Brian Augustyn, I think, although the credits are a bit vague (I have no idea who inked this)-- is peak Waid, a breezy caper set during the period when the post-Crisis JLA first came together. There's a shadowy conspiracy of bad guys called Locus and a gang of elemental aliens whose names I couldn't even remember from page to page, and it's all a bit rote and boring, but nobody's reading this for Locus. What makes this series worth reading is Waid's character work, and the conspiracy plot is just a pretext for goading the JLA into different emotional states. And the character work does sparkle-- I mentioned charm above and that's the word I keep coming back to. His JLA members are charming-- they're amateurs, and they're prickly, and they're suspicious of each other, but unlike any of the host of anti-hero teams out and about in the 90s you want these kids to work out their differences and to become a team of super friends. Barry Allen is earnest, square, and modest to a fault-- Hal Jordan is a grandstanding goofball-- Aquaman, wonderfully, is a soft-spoken weirdo teaching himself English with picture books-- J'onn J'onnz has a creepy tenderness-- and Dinah Lance is a teenaged JSA fangirl trying to stake out a distinct identity for herself.

These are all stock types, but Waid brings them to life by slowing the plot down, shunting the operatics to the background, and letting character beats take their time to enfold with empathy and wit. I mentioned Aquaman's voice before-- Waid has him adjusting to sound traveling differently above water, so that he's either mumbling or shouting. Only Martian Manhunter can understand him easily, and they bond as outsiders. There's a lovely set of panels where MM lingers at their first trophy case, holding the corpse of an alien warrior thing, realizing that he's fundamentally not one of them. The famous panel of Black Canary grabbing Barry's mask by the wing dinguses and twisting it around is in here. It's cute. The whole thing is cute. And despite some truly grody, muddy inking, Barry Kitson is a huge part of this. His bodies are lithe and expressive, his faces are crisp, and he imbues everybody with a friendly, streamlined effervescence sort of reminiscent of Wally Wood or Carmine Infantino.

This is, of course, a relic of a DC continuity that no longer exists, so there's an extra touch of bittersweetness. This isn't the pre-crisis JLA, nor is it the New 52 JLA. It's a peaen to stories that never took place, attempting to capture the whimsy of a set of stories that doubly never took place, packed with easter eggs and cameos to characters that don't exist or are completely different now. I can't read this series' Hal Jordan and Barry Allen as they were intended to be read, because they're written as ghosts-- goofy, endearing, tragic forerunners to Kyle Rayner and Wally West. There's a line where the two of them jokingly boast that they'll live to a ripe old age that was one kind of ironic in 1998 and an entirely different kind 20 years later. This element of celebrating a revisionary Silver Age can be overwelming and a bit exhausting-- especially towards the end Mark Waid flies into sort of a frenzy of tertiary characters, cramming in the Blackhawks, the Challengers of the Unknown, the JSA, the Metal Men, the Doom Patrol, the Freedom Fighters, the entire doomed seance crew from Swamp Thing, and a bajillion other so-and-so's crammed into big dramatic splashpages. These sequences seem to miss the point. This series doesn't sell itself on scale, but on intimacy. I don't give a poo poo about the Sea Devils, I want to know if everybody will forgive J'onn J'onnz for yearning to feel.

I can understand why this got a somewhat middling rating by the War Rocket Ajax crew. I can't overstate how boring and superfluous the actual plot is and Barry Kitson, god bless his soul, can't seem to put together one interesting, clearly choreographed fight scene over a year of issues. You have to read past that, though, because as a character study it really is a lovely, understated piece, that lets its subjects be vulnerable and foolish and kind. This came out during a time when DC and Marvel were both exploring a return to the tonal touchstones of big, brassy Silver/Bronze age epics-- Morrison was on JLA and Busiek was on Avengers-- so a lot of this series makes sense as laying retroactive groundwork for an ex post facto structure. It's big, its optimistic, its bombastic, its speedy-- and if only half of those qualities really end up as endearing, so what, I'll take an optimistic and brisk semi-failure over the joyless polish of a Geoff Johns comic any day.

I also want to note that this came out six years before another loving homage to a Silver Age that never was, Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier. They're weirdly similar projects-- largely about how the dawn of the Justice League era was like the dawn breaking on a dour and confused period. New Frontier-- which I mean I do have some qualms with-- is of course much better than this, but I think they're very interesting counterpoints to one another, especially in terms of how the narrative directon of the DCU as a whole changed between 1998 and 2006. New Frontier only makes sense in the context of its publication date as a kind of elegy to the kind of universe DC was swiftly veering away from, whereas JLA: Year One is, precisely an origin story for it as an ongoing project. There's a tiny little scene where Ray Palmer is told his fiance is looking for him-- he looks over his shoulder, smiles, and that's that. It's kind of a ghost story like that. So yeah-- it's fun, its funny, its loveable and loving, its boring and overstuffed, its gorgeously drawn when it isn't an ugly mess, and, with two decades of hindsight, its weirdly melancholic.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

You get 355. Batman #417-420 (nice.), Ten Nights of the Beast. The first KGBeast story, and a Starlin classic! Good pull.

All four issues are on Comixology.

Hah I've been reading Starlin's Marvel cosmic stuff, should be interesting to see how he does with Batman.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Excellent review Archyduke. One point of clarification: 160 is actually pretty high on the list. Like, the Alias story where they finally reveal Jessica Jones' backstory is at 174. Basically if you make the top 200 you're automatically considered "really good".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fantastic Four Vol. 1: Solve Everything
This kicks off Hickman's F4 in earnest and largely revolves around Reed, with the relationships of the other characters explored, while setting up more of the run. It begins with Reed deciding to reopen the bridge and join the Council of Reeds, while interspersed with some flashbacks to his upbringing, showing the advice he received from his father as a child. His father recognized his intellect from an early age, and further recognized that Reed would grow to be someone capable of solving problems, but advised him that his brain can't be used without his heart, and urges Reed to be more than he was. While Reed is beginning to work with the Council, we see him become increasingly distant from Sue, whose frustration reaches a boiling point. Meanwhile, Ben and Johnny take a vacation to Nu-World, a holdover from the Millar run, which Franklin and Val stowaway for. They reach there, only to learn that Nu-World is in shambles after its sun exploded, leaving them orbiting the event horizon of a black hole. Following an attack by Celestials, Reed remembers the advice his father gave him, along with another Reed telling him they all eventually left their families to continue their work, and locks off the Bridge, resolving to be the good husband, father, and friend his father urged him to be. This all culminates in Franklins birthday party, a rather fun little issue showing off the love of the F4 and their friends, while expanding the cast a big as Reed as Alex Powers to come work for him, Artie and Leech to live in the Baxter Building, and Spider-Man popping in at the request of Franklin, and the dismay of Johnny. Johnny does not like Spider-Man. After the party, a time anomaly is detected and an unknown stranger enters the Baxter Building, setting up impenetrable force field and visiting each of the Richards kids to issue them messages, after which he leaves, with Val wishing him a happy birthday, as well.

This set of issues features two sets of artists: Artist Dale Eaglesham followed by penciller Neil Edwards, inker Andrew Currie with Paul Neary & Scott Hanna; both colored by Paul Mounts. Eaglesham isn't my favorite artist in the world, but he's good at what he does, and captures the F4 and the weirdness that follows them quite well. His Galactus looks appropriately menacing, and his Reeds are consistent, though I think he draws him a bit overly buff. His portrayal of the kids can be weird at times, but that's pretty common among all artists, so not the biggest deal. Edwards, though, is not very good at all, looking like a bargain-basement Bryan Hitch. I get the feeling he was hired more for his speed than anything.

Hickman is sometimes criticized for being more plot-heavy and missing the character moments, but that's really not the case here. F4 has always been a series that lives and dies on the relationships of its characters, and Hickman continues to nail them. I definitely felt for Sue's anger and frustration with Reed ignoring the family for his work. Johnny's desire to help Ben get past a breakup by taking him on vacation showcases how much he cares for him, even with years of pranking. The interludes with Nathaniel and Reed show Nathaniel's love for Reed, and him recognizing his own failure in leaving to do his thing. Franklin also uses his birthday party to give all of the attendees outside of his immediately family gifts. It all works very well.

Important plot points:
*All the Nu-World stuff will certainly come up again
*Franklin's powers are back and he created a baby universe
*A large number of the Council of Reeds are killed in the battle with the Celestials, but not the best Reed: Fat Reed (Xavier Reed appears to survive as well)
*The Doom Room is pretty hosed up
*Franklin's birthday party pretty strongly sets up the Future Foundation coming up. Artie, Leech, Alex Powers, Dragon Man, Bentley 32 and Spider-Man are all parts of that group.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
So, I read Seaguy. There goes a totally subjective (and probably inaccurate) take on it...

Overview

In a Disneyfied world (the corporation, not the pretty talking animals), villains are extinct, superheroes are unneeded, and everyone eats the same Xoo-brand foodstuff ("what is it?" "It is new!") and watches cartoons in the place of terrible news. The titular superhero and his pet, a talking tuna with a funny aksent and a sailor's hat, will try to unravel the mysteries behind a... meteorite attack on Earth? Except now it is not that, but a sentinent batch of food that begs for help? The thing is, he wants to impress a pretty warrior girl with a curly beard who is looking for a true hero. With that on mind, they set off, and soon everything complicates...

Overall impression

To be honest, this three-issues comic is extremely not my cup of tea. I am not one to enjoy extremely surreal stories, and I wouldn't have picked this for myself. That said, this is part of the challenge.

I read somewhere that Seaguy is meant to be read as a comedy; if that is true, it did nothing for me. The atmosphere feels opressive and dystopic from the start. It is also very, very, very surreal and sometimes I wondered what the hell I was reading. The relative shortness of it does not do the pace any favours, although to be honest I think that is totally intentional. Storylines change from one page to the next, leaving almost nothing resolved. It feels dreamlike, except the dream is a nightmare.

Behind all that lies a rather ham-fisted criticism of giant corporations, the edulcorated world they create and the misery (humane and enviromental) they cause. This has been done before, and I think also better, but it does not mean Seaguy's vision is at all bad. It just feels a bit predictable, which is funny considering the story as a whole is anything but that. The shortness and quick pace, again, leaves the intended message a bit muddled.

The art is pretty. The artist nails the "Disney" feel as well as clearly distinguishes the pieces that aren't part of it. It is clean, enjoyable and readable without being overly simplified. I honestly think it is one of the strongest assets of the comic.

Veredict

I did not really enjoy Seaguy too much. But to be fair to it, it is a visually pretty, short, trippy read which I am sure has its fans, and that is fair too. It just didn't click for me. I can't really judge its position in the list -it is on the "good, not world changing stories" zone, probably rightly so. I'll give it a 6/10, and also recommend it to any fans of surreal, dreamlike stories that may be out there. It is not bad, but it definitely is an acquired taste.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 7, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Batman #598
Ed Brubaker - Writer; Scott McDaniel - Penciller; Andy Owens - Inker; Roberta Tewes - Color; John Costanza - Letters; Bob Schrek - Editor; Batman Created by Bill Finger

The old adage goes that there's two types of comic book fans: Batman fans and Superman fans and I definitely fall into the latter category. Not that I won't read a Batman comic, just that I have pretty much zero interest in Batman as a character. So maybe I'm going to stomp all over a beloved Batman story, but given its position in the list, I kind of doubt it.

A quick synopsis of the issue: despite "The Silent Night of Batman" (see, I've read Batman stories; at least ones with Neil Adams art), Batman now hates Christmas while his girlfriend Sasha loves it and is setting up a Christmas tree in Wayne manner. Then a Christmas themed lunatic called Santa Klaus (he's German, you see, and knows if people have been naughty or nice through psychic powers) has escaped from custody because the Arkham orderlies are the worst at their jobs. Klaus finds some kids who are more than happy to help him blow up anyone he deems naughty and they go on a several day killing spree in the days leading up to Christmas. This being Gotham City, nobody notices. Eventually Batman runs them down at a giant celebration where Klaus is stymied by a Jewish person being there for some reason and the day is saved. Then he goes back to the Batcave where he gets the best Christmas gift ever from Sasha.

Generally I like Ed Brubaker. I don't think I need to justify that statement either. However, this is a lazy story. If someone asked me to outline a Batman Christmas story this would be the obvious first pass. Batman is sad at the holidays because it's about family and he has a momentary flashback to happier times. A villain that dresses up as Santa Claus. What's his power... I dunno, he knows who's been naughty and nice? Oh, and I can't be bothered to come up with a decent name so he's Santa Klaus (Brubaker might not be responsible for that one).

But this laziness runs deeper than that. I wasn't joking about kids just joining up with Klaus for a murder spree for no good reason. He grabs some kids by the shoulder while they're Christmas shopping and they just join in. All the characterization they get is one panel where one says, "Wait! He made us do it!" because that's a defense in killing forty to fifty people. Why are these kids there? What happened to their parents (who may be dead from the context)? Why would they help him? Who the gently caress knows! I'm willing to concede that a recent escapee from a mental institution can assemble complex bombs and detonators as he's wandering the streets because that's the kind of thing you just have to accept in comic books, but these kids are mass murderers for no good reason. Well, there's a reason. It's because killing dozens of people is the lazy way to give your comic book story stakes.

But that's not the laziest thing in this comic. Take a look at this:

What could be in the box? Brubaker doesn't have an answer for that and it's because he doesn't have an interesting one. Now some people will try to excuse this kind of thing as, "It doesn't matter what it is, the reaction matters!" but that's only true when those reactions are driving the story. This isn't. This is the resolution and to leave a giant piece of the resolution just undefined is plain sloppy. Plus, look at those faces! My guess is that she got Bruce a replica of the Batman credit card from Batman Forever.

I'm being hard on Brubaker here since the things that make this story stand out, the fact that it's lazy and derivative, are all on him. McDaniel's art I generally found boring. it has that looseness that was popular in the early 2000's that doesn't work for me in this kind of story. Except for a few panels (see above), I didn't think the work was actually bad, but it did absolutely nothing for me. Which I guess added to the feeling that this was just a bland Batman story.

Something I'm struck with in retrospect is that there's effectively no Christmas to this story past the the theme of the villain and the commercialism that Sasha engages in. Batman doesn't reunite a family for the holidays. He doesn't help the downtrodden (the children who become henchmen were homeless, too). He doesn't even do nice things for people. He punches a bad guy, the same thing he does the other 364 days of the year. To go back to "The Silent Night of Batman", in that story Batman is convinced to hang out at the Gotham police department's holiday party while around the city people see reminders of Batman that drive them to act with the Christmas spirit. That's a good Batman Christmas story. This is something that feels like an editorial mandate.

I've read worse comics, though the fact that I tend to only read the really acclaimed stuff with Batman means that I haven't read a worse Batman comic before. I'm sure they exist, but unless they're really stupid I don't want to read them. I definitely am not interested in reading any more of Brubaker's Batman comics even though Gotham Central is fantastic.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

This seems fun as hell. I'm in.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
That was short and quick. Spin me again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A couple suggestions for the OP: place the reviews in list order and put due date in the reading list.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

This seems fun as hell. I'm in.

You get 252. Stormwatch by Warren Ellis and Tom Raney. Now, as far as I can tell those are specifically only referring to the 10 issues to cap the first volume of Stormwatch; Ellis wrote the entirety of volume 2, but that was apparently with Bryan Hitch on art. But I don't know, because I haven't read Stormwatch, whether this is only referring to those ten issues or Ellis' entire Stormwatch run. Either way, the first 10 issues are all collected in one volume on Comixology (titled volume 1) and the remainder are also collected in a volume on Comixology (titled volume 2). You should probably ask someone who has read Stormwatch what the list could be referring to if you haven't read this story before. Either way, nice job: one of the indie comics that permanently impacted mainstream comics forever.

Jiru posted:

That was short and quick. Spin me again.

You get 420. (nice.) Garfield: Alone. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Here you go.

Endless Mike posted:

A couple suggestions for the OP: place the reviews in list order and put due date in the reading list.

You mean chronologically from when they're assigned and mix them with the reading list? Yeah, okay.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You get 252. Stormwatch by Warren Ellis and Tom Raney. Now, as far as I can tell those are specifically only referring to the 10 issues to cap the first volume of Stormwatch; Ellis wrote the entirety of volume 2, but that was apparently with Bryan Hitch on art. But I don't know, because I haven't read Stormwatch, whether this is only referring to those ten issues or Ellis' entire Stormwatch run. Either way, the first 10 issues are all collected in one volume on Comixology (titled volume 1) and the remainder are also collected in a volume on Comixology (titled volume 2). You should probably ask someone who has read Stormwatch what the list could be referring to if you haven't read this story before. Either way, nice job: one of the indie comics that permanently impacted mainstream comics forever.

Here you go.

You mean chronologically from when they're assigned and mix them with the reading list? Yeah, okay.

No no. You have two lists. The first is the completed reviews. Put these in the order they appear on the ESE list (with the number on there). The second is the list of assignments. Add due dates to these. I suppose you could just make these one list.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Endless Mike posted:

No no. You have two lists. The first is the completed reviews. Put these in the order they appear on the ESE list (with the number on there). The second is the list of assignments. Add due dates to these. I suppose you could just make these one list.

Ah, okay. Yeah. I can do that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is there any chance I could get another roll to do in the meantime while I wait to get paid so I can get the Anita Blake trades? Preferably something easier to get a hold of through comixology or something.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth posted:

Is there any chance I could get another roll to do in the meantime while I wait to get paid so I can get the Anita Blake trades? Preferably something easier to get a hold of through comixology or something.

Okay, but you're toxxing for both then.

You got 51. Fantastic Four: Unthinkable (Waid/Wieringo). One of the best FF stories of all time! This story runs from FF vol. 3 #67-70 and issue 500. Every issue is on MU.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Read Hawkeye #11, I've read the whole run before, but it's been a year or two. I'll give a more full write up soon, my keyboard broke so I'm phone posting while going to buy a new one. It's an amazing comic but makes way more sense if you have the context of the rest of the series, so I wouldn't recommend it as a someone's first exposure.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

You got 51. Fantastic Four: Unthinkable (Waid/Wieringo). One of the best FF stories of all time! This story runs from FF vol. 3 #67-70 and issue 500. Every issue is on MU.

just to say I literally finished rereading this an hour or so ago and it’s still hella good, ENJOY

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh neat. I can do that right now.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Here you go.

Come on. The RNG is trolling me :(. I will review that, and resign myself to the fact that next time I am probably getting a single Newspaper Spider Man comic.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm in love with this idea

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

enigmahfc posted:

So do you want a roll? Serious question.

Anyways I updated the OP, ordered the reviews by ESE list order, and put issue dates on everyone who's already in.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
You know what, hit me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

You know what, hit me.

You got 155. Captain America #250, "Cap for President!" Eighties Cap, huh? Wonder how that holds up. It's on Marvel Unlimited.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I want another roll too while I read Inhumans, before everything is gone.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

So do you want a roll? Serious question.

Anyways I updated the OP, ordered the reviews by ESE list order, and put issue dates on everyone who's already in.

Yes, I was just trying to be witty and failed....Really injects confidence into my pending review.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alright, I finished Unthinkable pretty fast, so here are my thoughts. I'm still learning how to articulate my thoughts on comics, so my review isn't going to be anything special.

So, story-wise, I felt this was a strong arc, and it makes me interested in reading the rest of Waid's run on Fantastic Four sometime. I'm missing context on a lot of what happened in this, and while I did think Doom killing his girlfriend and turning her skin into his armor was probably a bit too much, I do think it does show how cruel Doom is during this time period pretty well. The rest of the arc has a lot of good character moments from Thing, but probably the standout character here is Reed. I don't know how many times Reed has learned this lesson before and after this arc, but the important part of this one was that it made me feel like this was new ground for him: Having to admit that magic is way outside of his expertise, and he's just unable to be as useful as he can be. Topped off with the finale of him sending Doom flying while borrowing Ben's catchphrase, it makes for a satisfying bit of character development.

As for the art, I must admit, I really miss art like this in mainstream superhero comics. It feels like the majority of it goes for that kinda bland looking DC house style, where everything is drawn realistically, and any kind of art that feels cartoon-ish is relegated to comedy series. It works really well here, and it's nice looking at the vivid colors and exaggerated faces. That may just be a me thing though, because most people I talk to don't really like the look of comics from this era too much.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty solid Fantastic Four arc, at least, for somebody who hasn't exactly read too much Fantastic Four.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lightning Lord posted:

I want another roll too while I read Inhumans, before everything is gone.

Okay, you're toxxing for both then.

You get 549. Spider-Man: Reign

AhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAH
AHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

All issues are on MU.

enigmahfc posted:

You got 152. Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Well done! Nick Spencer's best comic. All issues are on MU.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I like Kaare Andrews, even if I thought Reign was in many ways a reskin of DKR plus radioactive nut, so joke's on you

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm in. Gimme something that sucks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

I'm in. Gimme something that sucks.

Like, bad, or do you want something really wretched?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Like, bad, or do you want something really wretched?
Hit me, you wuss!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Okay, you're toxxing for both then.

You get 549. Spider-Man: Reign

AhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAH
AHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

All issues are on MU.

You got 152. Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Well done! Nick Spencer's best comic. All issues are on MU.

Nice. I already own all of Superior Foes on ComiXology, so this gives me an excuse to reread them.

I also own Reign. Don't judge me.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I'm in (please be hellboy please be hellboy please be hellboy)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

Hit me, you wuss!

Okay...

You got 557. Spawn/WildC.A.T.S.: Devil Day.

Let me just quote the summary of issue 1 of this four-issue miniseries.

quote:

Spawn WildC.A.T.S #1 (1996) Alan Moore Story. Scott Clark Cover and Pencils. The future is in chaos and ruled by the most evil tyrannical dictator unimaginable to man. He is so wicked that he captured all the super women in the world, stole their entire super powers, then turned them into sex slaves. Now it is up to Spawn and the WildCATs to go forward in time and ensure that all these horrible stuffs come to an end. But will they succeed if their journey brings them all sort of twists and turns?

This both sounds like the worst thing ever published content-wise, and also hilariously generic. Wait, so you're telling me a comic story will have all sorts of twists and turns? Hell yeah! Sign me up, dogg!

This 4-issue mini has never been published in a trade, because why the gently caress would it, and it's not on Comixology, although I did find a copy of Spawn/WildC.A.T.S. in a trade on EU Comixology, but I don't even know if it's in English. So.

Anyways, if you can't find it or don't already own it, I'll let you reroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

hup posted:

I'm in (please be hellboy please be hellboy please be hellboy)

Why are there no BPRD stories on this list btw

• Locked thread