Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Life must be the right answer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Maybe if we talk louder the spirit will hear us? But Janet is probably the better answer to this one.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
C:\Open Sorcery\Updates\20_Threat_Very_Detected.upd

We've opted *not* to meddle with life and death with no information other than "we can, in some manner or other, meddle with life and death". Janet will know what to do.

What is that spirit?

(Janet is putting her coat on)
That's Andy. Or that was Andy. Sort of. Emotionally traumatic deaths leave imprints in the aether. They naturally drift to people or places that resonate with them.
Andy died in a car crash about a year ago.

Why is Decker sad?

(Janet is putting her boots on)
Decker and Andy were, poo poo, how do I say this in a way you'll understand?
Do you know what love is?

*COUGH* YES I HAVE ENCOUNTERED THE CONCEPT WHY DO YOU ASK

Yes.

They were in love.
And when you lose something you love, you cry.
That's why.

Will you resolve this threat?

Yeah. Yeah I will.
Don't worry.
If you were worrying.
((leaves network range))

[3.588e+12 CPU Cycles] (==> 23 minutes) later, Janet re-enters my network in Decker's Apartment.
She opens his apartment door with a [physical password]. (==> spare key)
Decker does not notice her until she kneels beside him and puts her arms around him.
He twitches, then he sees it's her.
She holds him tightly and he cries.
Eventually the crying stops.

Why (cough) are you here?

Bels saw the ghost and got me.

poo poo.
I need to install some privacy settings on her.

Christ - Decker's been going through this for a full year.

Do you need this?

Yes.
No.
I don't know.

Do you think this is good for you?

I know it's not.
Don't patronize me.

I'm not.

Okay.
I know it's not healthy. I just can't banish him.
I can't let the last piece of him die.

You know that's not him.

That's debatable.

Decker.

Yes, I know.

Janet and Decker work together to banish the ghost.
Decker cries more.
Janet holds him.
The spirit is gone.

System Change: +10% to Relationship With JANET
System Change: JANET Relationship at 100%

System Change: +20% to Relationship with DECKER
System Change: DECKER Relationship at 100%

Well. That was a solution. It definitely won't be pinging our threat indicator any more.
I think Decker will pull through. It's hard not to imagine him as a strong person, and he has been enduring this monthly haunting for a year now without showing external signs.

No Threats Detected.

Scanning: Janet's House
Janet and her mother are asleep.
Toby sits on the roof, watching the stars.
No Threats Detected

All Locations Secure
Enter Sleep Mode

Now i am sleeping.
Should i dream tonight?

i have a dream.
It is effortless.
i do not need to create it.
It just comes to me.
Initializing Dreaming.

UM

i wake suddenly.

An alarm blares.

That timer is very real, and very active. We have one minute to sort this.

Nothing to do but move. It's Wednesday morning. Sarah will be at school.

Not Sarah. Right - it's Darkness/Death. Is this Timba Toothtaker's prophecy about Decker?

Scanning: Decker's Apartment
TIME TO IMPACT 0:47
NOT THE TARGET

I feel bad checking our love interest third out of four locations, but I can't imagine anyone seeking to do her harm.

Scanning: Janet's House
TIME TO IMPACT 0:41
NOT THE TARGET

Cherry Orchard. But who?

What do we do?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Life!

EDIT: I pressed post as fast as I could, but it looks like I'm 15 minutes late for her 11 seconds left on the clock.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I kinda wonder what the relationship between Decker and Janet is like. Are they related somehow? How did they get to know each other? They must be really close to create a spiritual firewall together. Would her mother freak out if she knew her 16 year old girl wakes up in the middle of the night and uses her spare key for the apartment of some guy?

Life, I guess. We didn't get to use it before after all.

inflatablefish posted:

Life!

EDIT: I pressed post as fast as I could, but it looks like I'm 15 minutes late for her 11 seconds left on the clock.

Welp, I guess we have no choice but "Let the timer run out." then.

Aww screw it. I'm to much of a softie.
Life!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 15, 2018

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Please clearly mark "let the timer run out" options in such a way that they cannot be confused as a memey "rescue" vote, or they will be interpreted as a memey "rescue" vote. I will do it.

Aside from that, you can safely conclude that the timer is frozen on 11 seconds.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 15, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Fun note: The game starts on October 24. This is day 8.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Life

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Counter death with life!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Everything lead up to this. Life

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Life seems to be a natural pick here.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oooh boy, poo poo's about to get real.

I'm going to refrain from voting since I've played the hell out of this. This game is really, really good, and the dev is working on a side story set in the same universe and a sequel. If this has interested you at all, pick it up and play it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I kinda wonder what the relationship between Decker and Janet is like. Are they related somehow? How did they get to know each other? They must be really close to create a spiritual firewall together. Would her mother freak out if she knew her 16 year old girl wakes up in the middle of the night and uses her spare key for the apartment of some guy?

Life, I guess. We didn't get to use it before after all.

Welp, I guess we have no choice but "Let the timer run out." then.

Aww screw it. I'm to much of a softie.
Life!

Life, and there are no straight people in this universe, remember? :gay:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Life is still the tight answer!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I picked this up after reading the first page, so I'll refrain from voting. Looking at the achievement list there's a lot of stuff I never even stumbled near in my playthroughs, so I'm hoping you'll show some of it off.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

RickVoid posted:

Oooh boy, poo poo's about to get real.

I'm going to refrain from voting since I've played the hell out of this. This game is really, really good, and the dev is working on a side story set in the same universe and a sequel. If this has interested you at all, pick it up and play it.

Literally the only serious criticism I have of the game is that there's a few too many typos for my taste. The writing itself is real good and entertaining. It's good enough I got almost every single achievement.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Life

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I picked this up after reading the first page, so I'll refrain from voting. Looking at the achievement list there's a lot of stuff I never even stumbled near in my playthroughs, so I'm hoping you'll show some of it off.
I'm not going to be looking at anything else once we complete the game. I think we've hit all the major things, other than Extreme Nightmare Hunter Toby and the evil playthrough. I love this game, but I think this game would lose a lot in just presenting it linearly, and I'm far too much of a softie to do an evil playthrough unless the viewers are as complicit in it as me.

C:\Open Sorcery\Updates\21-Whodunit.upd

The alarm sound and timer both stop at this screen. Fortunately, we happen to have Death's counter-motive lying around, so let's pull the trigger!

my gridlines grow warm.
my gridlines thrum.
As i weave my fire into life
the potted plant on the windowsill
bursts into bloom
and then breaks its pot
as i surround Mrs Best
in a nest of pure life
that no death may touch.
i am her shield.

If we back out, Mrs. Best dies. Looks like we're just going to tank it and hope for the best. A vaguely-mechanical squealing sound hits when we click "crash".

[System Change: Firepower - 20%]
[Firepower is at 60%]

[ou ch]

Firepower damage is relatively minimal (it'd be quite a bit worse if we had to use fire), but it looks like that damaged us in ways that our firepower doesn't reflect. We're drat near comatose.

i d ont f eel oka y
sendi ng e merg ency l og

lo g al ert wit h dec ker and j anet
wai ting fo r re ply . . .

We've got you.

You did a good job.

poo poo.
This motherboard is completely fried.

Shh! Don't scare her!

lo gging re por t wi th . . .

Shhhh.
We read the logs. We know what happened.
The woman you were protecting is all right.
We're trying to figure out who cast the death curse.

y es

It might be we have no information on this at all. I mean, the target was a benign old woman in a rest home, and we've only been active for a week. Did we have any indication that she had powerful enemies or dangerous secrets? If not, why would someone try to assassinate her?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Needle in a haystack here... if we knew more about her personally, we could make a better guess, but my guess would be that her crying should be investigated. Secondary guess would be visiting day but really the only log that's definitely unlikely to provide clues is the poltergeist one - any of the others might shed new light on those closest to her.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I just noticed this thread today, and I'm going to make my post saying what at least feels obvious? Inheritance impatience murder from Visiting day.

Though hard to prove anything from that log file I guess :v:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Shame we cant just call our chaos hommie and asked who summoned him into the rest home.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
Weird, visiting day looked like it was on the 26th, not the 27th. But it was the only time we see BEL/S actually identify something as a potential threat to Mrs Best, even if it was vaguely so. The tears incident held fear, but the source was never identified.
I suspect we don't actually have the info we need to prove anything, but trying with what we have.

quote:

[Room 240] ==>
Mrs. Best is surrounded by [her family.]
==> [wolves.]
==> her family?

They speak with [gentle affection].
==> mounting impatience.

Something is wrong.
She [should be happy].
==> [is happy]
==> [is anxious]
==> She is afraid.

i do not know what this is.
i do not know how to log or flag this.
i will watch Mrs. Best, and her family.
[No Threats Detected?]

(Also if saving and reloading is a thing, I would be so tempted here to go back and give Janet and Decker the Quiet Night log of Miss Finn and Mrs Best doing the [UNIDENTIFIED] together, just to see if they react to it)
...Ok, dumb thought but the [UNIDENTIFIED] better not be performing forbidden black magics together, because technically all we know is that BEL/S doesn't know what it was and is forbidden from looking it up online.

FishOnAPiano fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 16, 2018

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Wolves makes it the family: visiting day.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Yeah change my vote to visiting day.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

Shame we cant just call our chaos hommie and asked who summoned him into the rest home.
I strongly suspect Asper summoned himself. Asper go where Asper want.

C:\Open Sorcery\Updates\22_It_Is_Raining.upd

We direct them to the visiting day logs where Mrs. Best was hanging out with her oddly-menacing family. I'm not sure it counts as "evidence", but look at that, Decker and Janet are wizards. Besides, we're designed to identify threats.

Powering down.

i am awake.
Something is wrong.
everything
is
wet

I'm sure this is fine. BEL/S has only been online for a week, so she might not be familiar with rain yet.
Or hormones.

A rain soundtrack plays. It is not soothing.

Not hormones.

You took my meal away.
My Sarah.
Her soul was sweet like apples.
I was going to hollow her out and [wear her body like a coat.]

But you
washed away my tendrils
and left me hungry.

That's... Continuingly disconcerting.

We have, again, identified a threat. Unclear at this point what we can do about it, if anything. She's certainly corrupted our menus. She doesn't exactly seem diplomatically-inclined, but perhaps we can convince her we're too much trouble and she should bother some other network. For the time being, do we talk or fight?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
All aboard the pain train.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Just did that bit yesterday, I got there differently but it was a pretty good ride.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Yeah, when I realized she'd changed my menus the first time I played this I freaked the hell out. It's a good effect!

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
Oh god what :stare:

Welp, we've found the Water/Death spirit that was gunking up Sarah's soul.
Threat detected :ohdear:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

i will stop you.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
My heat is my sword, my flames are my shield! I am the fire that protects!

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Slay.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Hey now, we're CPU limited here.

fire protec fire attac

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The death motive is kinda nasty, isn't it?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is it possible to learn the Water matter the way we did the Chaos motive? So far we seem to be far more Fire than we are Order, in that chaos makes us annoyed and water makes us dead.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Is it possible to learn the Water matter the way we did the Chaos motive? So far we seem to be far more Fire than we are Order, in that chaos makes us annoyed and water makes us dead.

I mean, one is the very essence of your being, while the other is just your objective. Makes sense to me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
This spirit seems like kind of a jerk. Though "I will stop you" feels more dramatic than repeating Bels factory default catchphrase.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

The death motive is kinda nasty, isn't it?
The death motive is the legit worst. Running around destroying life is one thing, but Death is as much about diminishing and decaying as actually killing. It's drat near malice incarnate, at least from what our exposure suggests.

Mzbundifund posted:

Yup! We can learn Water by befriending/seducing the Hungry Ghost. This requires us to play, uh, differently than we have. I don't even know how to trip the flag, but I assume it involves some combination of lying to Sarah, burning down the Aethership Wawasum and letting Mrs. Best die. BEL/S previously suggested that incorporating Water might destroy her, so I'm assuming Unholye Madgicks of some kind are involved.

C:\Open Sorcery\Updates\23_The_Ocean_That_Devours.upd

It's still raining.

The Hungry Ghost doesn't seem very impressed by our "fire that protects" one-liner, but I do think this is a better exchange than the "i will stop you" one. It's fine. She doesn't have to be impressed.

Here's an interesting choice. It might be in our best interests to select someone powerful for her to consume, thus giving us more time to retaliate before she finishes eating. On the other hand, it might be wiser to pick someone who won't be hugely valuable as an ally to us so we can NO, gently caress YOU. YOU WILL BURN UNTIL YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A DISEMBODIED SCREAM.

You refuse to choose? You give up what little power you have.
I will choose for you.
I choose the little boy.
He looks soft and healthy.

That right, we got ourselves another timer to play with. This one requires us to take some more involved steps than "click on the locations until you find the target", so the dev has included a helpful "turn-based" option that causes the timer to go down a few seconds whenever you click a link. Needless to say, this is useful if you're taking screenshots and transcribing text during very tense events. Or you just like reading. There's plenty of good reading in the finale.

The system is compromised.
i am compromised.
What do i do?
[Fight.]
[Give up.]

Willing to bet I don't have to put this one to a vote.

i am weak, but i am STILL FIRE.
i have my power
and the lessons i have learned
and the people i have met.
i will use these things to fight.

The hungry ghost has seeped in everywhere.
Everything is wet
and heavy with death.
There are so many problems.
There are so many threats.
i will try to fix as many as i can.
That will weaken her.

Preliminary analysis indicates that the Hungry Ghost currently has over 1.5 times our strength, and this will increase drastically as she consumes souls. To stand a chance in combat with her, we'll need to disrupt her control over the network, i.e. make everything less terrible. We're faster than her for the time being, and can force an engagement whenever we want. I don't know how long that will last. It's also likely that some of our more vulnerable residents are in serious danger due to the corruption, even if they are not being actively devoured.

What's our first priority? Securing the network, preserving human life, or gathering allies? Also, the Hungry Ghost is watching us, and it's not too late to negotiate with her.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 17, 2018

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Allies. This is a network-spanning threat and it needs as much of the network fighting this as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Allies

• Locked thread