Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Allies Uber Allies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Allies

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Doopliss posted:

Yup! We can learn Water by befriending/seducing the Hungry Ghost. This requires us to play, uh, differently than we have.

That's actually incorrect. Technically, you can always do it at this point, if you have the chaos motive. It certainly wouldn't fit our playstyle, though.

I wont vote for anything.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

We should seek to preserve lives, this is our purpose and we'll stick to it. Besides living people make good allies.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's actually incorrect. Technically, you can always do it at this point, if you have the chaos motive. It certainly wouldn't fit our playstyle, though.
Oh neat, that surprises me. I thought I explored the Hungry Ghost dialogue options pretty thoroughly. Do you have to use Chaos on one of the problems?

C:\Open Sorcery\Updates\24_The_Beacon_That_Guides.upd

It is raining.

We're no weakling, but we are one person. There are strong people in this network, physically and emotionally, and the Hungry Ghost is worth defying with the whole network.
As is tradition, we'll start with Darwin High School.

Sarah sits in a bathroom stall.
She knits scars into her arm with a box cutter.
She dabs the blood up with a cafeteria napkin.
She cuts, then looks at the blood, then cuts again.

Yeah. Yeah, these responses are appropriately emphatic.

Everything inside of me is dead.
It's all just dead.
But when I do this, I feel something.
I can make myself feel something.

These actions are highly counter-productive and it is recommended you stop.

You don't understand.
You can't. You're not a person.

Please stop.

[Relationship Test: Sarah]
[Relationship required: 70%]
[Relationship at 95%]
Relationship test: PASSED

My help? Me help you?
With what?

The monster who has been feeding on you is now feeding on everyone in the network.

You found the thing that did this to me?

Yes.
And i need your help to stop it.

I have never been more on board with something in all my life.
What do I need to do?

We'll talk about what "available to help" means later. We don't have any contacts in Cherry Orchard, so let's check on the admins.

Decker's been got. I somehow assumed he'd be hammering away at his laptop even under these circumstances. Let's see if we can fix that.

i attempt to wake Decker.

Relationship Test: Decker
Relationship required: 70%
Relationship at 100%
Relationship Test: PASSED

Yes, I know there were brackets around Sarah's relationship test and not around these. Welcome to Open Sorcery.

i send Decker alerts and messages.
Our network connection is strong.
my pings pierce the miasma of dampness and death,
and Decker hears me
and wakes up.

Decker's back, and Deckering in fine form. Last up is Janet's House.

Including a rare "location menu" screencap due to the most tragic location name ever. Our other locations are glitching the hell out as well, in varying ways (take a look at the date on this one).

It is raining.
[Janet] has collapsed in the hallway.
[Toby] is asleep on the den couch.
Janet's mother has fallen in the kitchen. There is a wound on her head and [blood trickles from it.]
The [funbuns cower] in the basement.

i attempt to wake Janet.

Relationship Test: Janet
Relationship required: 70%
Relationship at 100%
Relationship Test: PASSED

i send Janet alerts and messages.
Our network connection is strong.
my pings pierce the miasma of dampness and death,
and Janet hears me
and wakes up.

Duplicated text is less noticeable while you're desperately clicking through against the clock, I guess.

Janet is alright and ready to go. She hasn't been doing this for as long as Decker, but she seems just about as unflappable. As well as being a capable occult technician, Janet has a gift for Life magic, as we saw back with Sarah.

Let's see if we can't enlist anyone else while we're here.

i attempt to wake Toby.
Relationship Test: Toby
Relationship Required: 70%
Relationship at 0%
Relationship Test: FAILED

i send Toby alerts and messages.
i try to wake him.
But our connection is not strong enough.
The hungry ghost blocks me
and chuckles as it nibbles its victim.

I WILL EXPUNGE YOU FROM THIS NETWORK AND ALL NETWORKS, YOU MISERABLE poo poo
Alright, it looks like there's nothing we can do for Toby other than squeak in below the time limit. No time to wallow in it.

Don't tell me it's too dangerous! Look around! We have no choice! Release the Funbuns, and may God have mercy on our souls. But where do we release them to?

That's a full inventory of our allies. Pretty much all of them went from catatonic (emotionally so, in Sarah's case) to fighting fit in under ten seconds. I'm proud of them. That said, you've probably noticed that the turn-based timer isn't entirely gentle. We're more than 25% down our time limit, and that Ghost Power is still at 100%. The timer tracks *every* link you click, so we've been losing valuable time darting to and from locations. Should we focus on securing the network, preserving human life, or maximizing time efficiency?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Send them to the Old Folk's Home because we don't have any connections there. They can be our help when we arrive.

And we can't kill this ghostie if our network is being slowed down and rotted from within. Secure the Network first. We can do more things, faster after we have it back.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Preserve human life and attack.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
So after the first ghost attack update the other day I had to go and buy the game, so I'll stay out of voting for the rest of things and see what people get up to.
I can say though, yow 5 minutes in real time rather than action-based is pretty drat tight, even if you're doing a second run and can just skip through without taking the time to read each bit. My first time through the timer got down to 20 seconds before I even got to Janet's house, so I just skipped over it entirely.

And interesting on the Water stuff! I saw it was implied as an option in one of the achievements, but I couldn't imagine how you got it.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Maximize time efficiency and attack. No time for additional sentimental darting around - this is an existential threat.

Pokeytax fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 17, 2018

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Funbuns to the Elderly.

We are the Fire that Protects. We must ensure that Everyone in our Network Survives!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

I wont vote for anything.

Is Chaos really enough? I thought you needed at least Death too to get there? (Got the game because of this thread, almost beat every achievement, including not-so-nice ones)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Dog Kisser posted:

Is Chaos really enough? I thought you needed at least Death too to get there? (Got the game because of this thread, almost beat every achievement, including not-so-nice ones)

Chaos is enough. Technically you need one more motive. But that's order.
People who do that are monsters by the way.
I can spoil what you'd need to do of the OP doesn't mind. (After the correct options have been picked of course.)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Chaos is enough. Technically you need one more motive. But that's order.
People who do that are monsters by the way.
I can spoil what you'd need to do of the OP doesn't mind. (After the correct options have been picked of course.)

Yeah absolutely, it'll save me a replay.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Keep in mind, though, that Doopliss might want to do another run or two, considering how short this game is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

edit

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 18, 2018

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Please do! I'm happy to talk about alternate paths that don't spoil upcoming events, and we're running out of those to spoil.

FishOnAPiano posted:

And interesting on the Water stuff! I saw it was implied as an option in one of the achievements, but I couldn't imagine how you got it.
The in-game achievement list includes helpful hints on getting them. Using them on second playthroughs is strongly recommended! Near as I can tell, using achievements to signpost available content is about the best use of achievements there is.
It's possible I have a slight dev-crush on Abigail Corfman.

Leraika posted:

Keep in mind, though, that Doopliss might want to do another run or two, considering how short this game is.
No additional playthroughs will be forthcoming. Showing off the missed content seems like it would be linear as hell, and while some of the content is real good I'm not sure it's worth seeing if it's in the context of neither deciding based on limited information nor exploring and experimenting directly. It'd just be kind of there.

25_The_Warmth_That_Sustains

It is raining.

The funbun vote is a tie, so I flipped a coin, and the outcome is to attack!

Alright, Operation Preserve Life is not off to an auspicious start. Let's see if we can redeem ourselves rebooting the crashed Mom over there.

Janet's mother is on the floor in the kitchen.
There is blood on her head
and on the edge of the sharp kitchen table.
Blood leaks from the hole in her head.
Google tells me this is not good.

Alright, here's our "solve problem" interface for the finale. We have all the powers we've learned, and all the friends we've awoken. We can only use each of these options once, with one exception. We can use Fire as many times as we want, but doing so will decrease our Firepower slightly. This is less-than-ideal from a "get Firepower above Ghost Power" standpoint.

Some options are more effective than others for specific problems, and will result in increased damage to the Hungry Ghost. Some options do nothing at all, in which case it's not spent and we're free to retry, but we lose time. You will, of course, be choosing how to most effectively resolve each problem.

That concludes Janet's House, so let's head to Cherry Orchard. It was always our most vulnerable network node, so this seems like a good place to start for preserving life.

Scanning: Cherry Orchard Rest Home
It is raining.
Everyone here can feel that death is close.
Most of them sit still in their rooms, waiting for her.
There are some exceptions.
[Room 109 (Miss Dowd)]
[Room 121 (Mr. Doheny)]
[Room 231 (Miss Finn)]
[Room 240 (Mrs. Best)]

Yup. This makes Darwin High seem benign.

Mr. Doheny paces the room.
He calls the front desk.
He asks them where he is, and who they are, and who he is.
Then he forgets how to use the phone.
Then he stumbles, falls, and he lies on the ground.
He says words that are almost words.
He sounds afraid.
Death has touched his mind.

Miss Finn sits at her desk.
Her eyes, always light with interest, are dim.
He mouth, always broad with smiles or scowls, is pursed.
Her hands, animate illustrators of her opinions, sit folded in her lap.
She should struggle against death--that is her nature.
But Death has touched her soul.
And she feels nothing.

So that's why we had the option to send the Funbuns over here. The good news is, it looks like "preserve human life" winds up being pretty click-efficient after all. The bad news is, of course, that everything is terrible. Let's check on Mrs. Best.

She actually seems... Kinda fine?

(Log Alert With Local User MrsBest) Attention Mrs. Best.

Oh.
Oh my.
I know you.
My angel.

You remember me?

Of course I do.
You saved me.
I was going to die, I knew it.
Then I felt you all around me.
Thank you.

i am not an angel.
i am BEL/S Elemental Firewall version 5.6

That's an odd sort of a name for something like you.
But I suppose I don't know much on the matter.
I went to church often enough, but nothing past that.
Whatever you are, thank you.

This is another point for "there's no big magical secrecy curtain, but magic still seems pretty unknown". Not sure what to make of it. Maybe Janet *is* an incredibly-dorky magical girl.

You are welcome.

I am glad that you came back.
I am glad I can thank you.

i need your help.

What could I do to help you?

A malicious Water/Death spirit has entered our local network.

A demon?

Essentially. i require assistance from a physical being in combating its effects.

Mrs. Best sees things through a certain lens, but her heart is in the right place. The Hungry Ghost shall tremble before the power of Benign Old Woman.

Here's our updated option list. This is the biggest our list will ever look for us, so it's time to get down to business. Remember, these abilities are one-offs aside from Fire.

How do we help Janet's Mother?
How do we help Miss Dowd?
How do we help Mr. Doheny?
How do we help Miss Finn?

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 20, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Apologies for speaking for you, then.

Anyway we should Send Mrs. Best to help Miss Finn.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Leraika posted:

Apologies for speaking for you, then.

Anyway we should Send Mrs. Best to help Miss Finn.

Mr Doheny needs some order. If it is a choice between Janets Mom or Mrs Falling Teeth for life, I prioritize Janets Mom.

Though I guess we could cauterize Janets mom's wound with Fire. I dunno. I'm panicking. CLICK BUTTONS AND POST THE RESULTS HERE drat YOU! SAVE EVERYBODY!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Send friends and family to help each other and, uh...I dunno. What matter/motive is good for memory loss?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Okay then:
How to seduce the death spirit of your dreams!
Basically you need to chose your actions in this scene as vile as possible. If you do such an action the hungry ghost is amused and gives you back whatever motive or element you used for that action. In order to have an actual conversation with her, or to flirt with her, you need to attack people four times. There are differnt ways to do it depending ob your skills. As you might imagine, using death on a depressed girl who cuts herrself is quite effctive. (You monster!)
But with what we have we could use chaos on the school children, Mrs. Dowd and Mr Doheny (Deckers dad) this will make they current situation way worse and will straight up kill Mrs. Dowd.
Lastly we can use our inherited motive Order on Mrs. Finn. She's in a catatonic state and can't seem to strugle. Using order basically tells her that's allright so she stays exactly how she is. She wont move for the rest of her life. The game uses the phrase pourong cement into her heart.

Once you done these things you can ally with the ghost to earn her element. Or you can seduce her. Finally, if you seduce her you can backstab her. The game states that you burn down the essence of her being after she completely opened up to you. And that this would kill anything.

It's a good thing Bel/s is a good girl and wont do all this messed up stuff! So let's read the update to see how she actually manages to help everyone.

You jerks drowned all the fluffy bunnies who only wanted to calm sad and depressed children by cuddling. Now those energetic puffballs of life are nothing more than damp wads of fur. Their death is on your hands! That's objectively the worst thing you can do in this game.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 18, 2018

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Let's have Janet help her mother - head wounds tend to bleed a lot so she might not be in all that bad a shape.
This lets us save using Life to help Mrs Dowd, who really needs it - no amount of first aid's going to help her there.
Ask Mrs Best to help Mr Doheny - giving her a job to do is good for her, having a friendly reassuring voice should at least help stop him get worse, and this lets us save our Order in case we need it for a final showdown.
Use Love on Mrs Finn.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

inflatablefish posted:

Let's have Janet help her mother - head wounds tend to bleed a lot so she might not be in all that bad a shape.
This lets us save using Life to help Mrs Dowd, who really needs it - no amount of first aid's going to help her there.
Ask Mrs Best to help Mr Doheny - giving her a job to do is good for her, having a friendly reassuring voice should at least help stop him get worse, and this lets us save our Order in case we need it for a final showdown.
Use Love on Mrs Finn.

I agree with this plan, it's a good plan. Maybe we should use Chaos on Mrs Finn, but I'm scared to.

You jerks drowned all the fluffy bunnies who only wanted to calm sad and depressed children by cuddling. Now those energetic puffballs of life are nothing more than damp wads of fur. Their death is on your hands! That's objectively the worst thing you can do in this game.

l-look there's a timer and mistakes were made

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Mr. Doheny needs some Order in his life!

Janet can help her Mother!

Use Life to restore Mrs. Dowd to her superior self. I would've said Decker, to show off another fun achievement, but I do believe we need him to fix our mainframe later.

Have Mrs. Best bring some love back into Mrs. Finn's life.

Doopliss posted:

Please do! I'm happy to talk about alternate paths that don't spoil upcoming events, and we're running out of those to spoil.

Well then, in which case let me tell you guys how we missed out on what I consider to be the most "I can't believe that worked!" part of the game.

Remember back with Decker, the Light-Love ghost that hung around? Remember how we could use Life on it? There's an achievement for that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When dealing with THREAT:PYREWORM you can choose to deliberately induce an awareness excursion in it. The now-free-willed Pyreworm decides to stop attacking and become besties instead.

In the finale you can give her access to your terminal for snuggles. She does an A+ job of drying it out.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 19, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is game is the best.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Luhood posted:

Remember back with Decker, the Light-Love ghost that hung around? Remember how we could use Life on it? There's an achievement for that.
That's a fun event. As soon as it asked me how much Firepower I wanted to sink into it, I was confident I had hosed Up Hard.

26_The_Structure_That_Supports.upd

It is raining.

The most popular approach seemed to be sending Janet to look after her Mom, followed by sending Mrs. Best after Miss Finn. I'll be backfilling the other actions based on whatever abilities haven't been used up by those.

The hungry ghost's power decreases by -15%
Her power is at 88%
Janet is now occupied.

"Occupied" seems like a polite way of putting it, but look at those numbers! That looks like a "has it under control" outcome to me.

Janet kneels over her mother's body, holding a pink quartz to the head wound. They both glow pale pink.

A relevant excerpt from JtHs' new description. Let's move on to Miss Finn.

Now Miss Finn is moving
slowly
and talking
haltingly
and Mrs. Best is holding her hand.

Her power is at 73%

Mrs. Best is now occupied.

We continue to crush it - things might turn out alright after all.

The hungry ghost's power decreases by -10%
Her power is at 63%

i have used up my reserves of Order.

For Mr. Doheny, this whole mess may have been a net positive.

Her power is at 48%

i have used up my reserves of Life.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have officially secured the lives of everyone in immediate danger, as well as dealing a respectable blow against the hungry ghost's power reserves. Still around half, though - let's see if we can do something about that. First up, Darwin High.

And on any other day you could make an empty mask of a smile,
but today Death herself hangs over you
and your grief is wet like sodden clothes clinging to your body
and all you can do is weep.

In every room a child is weeping, and no one notices.

Oh right. Literally the entire student body has collapsed in tears from anomie. We should probably get on that.

A pipe burst and the boiler room is flooded.
Dirty water rises.
Steam fills the first floor.
The janitor stands up to his knees in water and just stares.
The damp, dirty water acts as a conduit for her power.

If I was that janitor I'd be more than a 3% suicide risk right now - maybe this is needed to preserve human life.

Last up, Decker's place.

The buzzing is Malware.
Vicious imps made of C++ and greed.
They swarm like insects.
They pick at me. Decker.
They are not part of the hungry ghost, but they have detected weakness
and come like vultures.

Decker's apartment is a mess, basically. On a normal day, we could clean this up effortlessly, but on a normal day none of this would have happened.

my terminal is a delicate piece of machinery.
It should not be wet.
Wetness interferes with the TCP connection between my program's API and my spiritual nature.
It also might make me short out.
I would prefer if it were dry.

Oh! Right. Yes. We probably want a functioning terminal before we engage in pitched battle with a Water/Death spirit. That seems like a useful thing to have in our pocket.

Our remaining options.

How do we deal with the crying students?
How do we deal with the water leak?
How do we deal with the protective runes?
How do we deal with our terminal?
How do we deal with the malware?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doopliss posted:

That's a fun event. As soon as it asked me how much Firepower I wanted to sink into it, I was confident I had hosed Up Hard.

I haven't had the heart to find out what happens if I don't select 'EVERYTHING'.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

The Lone Badger posted:

When dealing with THREAT:PYREWORM you can choose to deliberately induce an awareness excursion in it. The now-free-willed Pyreworm decides to stop attacking and become besties instead.

In the finale you can give her access to your terminal for snuggles. She does an A+ job of drying it out.

I actually just discovered this tidbit myself earlier today. Pyreworm is the best character in the game, I am convinced.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How do we deal with the crying students? Love.
How do we deal with the water leak? Fire.
How do we deal with the protective runes? Decker.
How do we deal with our terminal? ...got nothing.
How do we deal with the malware? Ditto.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Crying students: Love
Water leak: Earth (absorb all the water)
Protective runes: Decker
Terminal: Fire
Malware: I'm thinking Air, blow them away.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

taiyoko posted:

This seems reasonable.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

taiyoko posted:

Seconding this, let's hope we can get this all sorted out.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Looks like we might be a bit short on time there.
I vote that you attack the ghost before Toby is dead.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

taiyoko posted:

I agree with most of these, but I think we could use Sarah to help the crying students - she's been in the exact same place that they are.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

taiyoko posted:

As above, only:

Air to whisk away the Water (I think this is possible, use Earth anyhow if not)
Chaos to make the Malware sod off to wherever!

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Crying students: Sarah
Water leak: Air or perhaps fire if that's what's required to dry things up.
Protective runes: Earth
Terminal: Decker
Malware: Chaos (worked before)

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

I vote that you attack the ghost before Toby is dead.

Water leak: Sarah (snap that janitor out of it!)
Terminal: Air
Malware: Fire

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Are there consequences for choosing who the ghost attacks first aside from the filthy feeling of negotiating with terrorists?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Are there consequences for choosing who the ghost attacks first aside from the filthy feeling of negotiating with terrorists?

[MOD EDIT] Please respect the OP's spoiler policy. Thanks.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I haven't had the heart to find out what happens if I don't select 'EVERYTHING'.

Nothing. It just gives you that amount back, saying it wasn't enough for him to hold on to, and pops you back to select how much again.

• Locked thread