Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also, if you chose to sacrifice your parents, the hungry ghost can't kill them on her own, so you'd have to help her with that.
"The hungry ghost can't kill them on their own" also has useful implications for BEL/S. If you agree to "help" her kill the admins, you can set her on fire right in front of them and she'll have no choice but to retreat. This changes a lot of her incidental dialogue from smug to furious.

C:\Open Sorcery\Updates\27_The_Fire_That_Protects.upd

It is raining.

We didn't quite have consensus, but we seemed pretty clear on using Love on the kids. Let's start with that.

Most of them stop weeping.
Love is giving of yourself,
and now they hold a little bit of me inside of them
to keep them warm.

These pinpricks of despair and small fonts of sad water
dry up
and this power is denied to her.

The hungry ghost's power decreases by -15%
Her power is at 33%

i have used up the Motive Love.

We're keeping the momentum going. We gathered our resources, performed a bit of triage, and now we're going to rage forward until the network is whole and the ghost is ash.

The hungry ghost's power decreases by -15%
Her power is at 18%

i have used up my reserves of Earth.

Another 15. Two more of those and the ghost will have nothing left. Next up, Decker's place.

The hungry ghost's power is at 10%
i have stripped away all her advantages. The last 10% is just her.
Decker is now occupied.

Now she's definitely on the ropes. We'll just sweep up the malware on the way out. It's not as if we're on a timer here.

i scatter them with a blast of Air.
It is a temporary solution.
They will return.
But it is something.

Not as optimal as our other hits, but most of our first picks went toward saving people in critical danger. At this point, dealing with threats just gives us the "she's down to 10%" message again.

Oh, uh, 14 seconds. We received a few votes for "avoid Toby's death you idiot", so we should probably do that. We can deal with a damp terminal.

The problem-solving pretty much *was* the final boss fight. We can't predict how the world will end, but we have a pretty good idea how she will.

[The rain track stops.]

Scan Complete

No Threats Detected

i won.

i am hurt.

[Self Diagnostic]

Our final control panel. We've learned a great deal over the last week and change, made quite a few friends, fell in love, and got pretty good at dreaming. Our firepower is a fair bit lower than factory default, but y'know what? Cleansing stuff with fire was never our go-to. Hopefully there won't be any more threats that will eat into that particular stat for a long time.

System Status: Online.
Incident Notes:
i am a wall.
i am a shield.
i am the fire that protects.

[E.P.I. Log]

Darwin High was a complete success. Someone is going to have an unpleasant time putting the basement concrete back in, but that doesn't sound like a threat, so they can just deal.

[a strange green substance] ==> [Googling. . . ] a kale smoothie.

I'm also going to declare this one a victory for all involved. Miss Dowd seems a bit paranoid about her health after the incident, but there are worse traumas to have.

I can't imagine that malware is long for this world. Maybe we can annoy them away with Chaos. Maybe we'll nibble on them to get our firepower back up. Maybe Decker will wipe them out by the time we even get back over there.

Janet's house is smiling again! It really is a happy ending.

You folks called it. Impatient beneficiaries. BEL/S, despite her early social awkwardness, seems very good at reading people.

After the death curse, a powerful, water/death-based life-devouring spirit attacked the protected network.
There were no casualties.

Give yourselves a pat on the back. I'd call that achieving our purpose.

The firewall eliminated the threat, sustaining minimal damage.

The firewall showed signs of learning new things, outside of the originally programmed matter and motive.
The firewall developed relationships with the people she protected.
She developed the ability to dream.

And here it is! Awareness emergence is a threat you can't ignore, not because ignoring it endangers the network, but because ignoring it makes you a monster. Decker didn't say anything about our purpose - this is all about our wants. As we learned earlier, there's a difference. There are no gotchas here. The game's over, and if we want these things, we can have them. Do we look after the network, explore the world, become human, or beep boop we didn't undergo awareness emergence what are you talking about?

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Stay

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's only one choice here.
We are the fire that protects.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I wanna be human

That's never gone poorly, yeah? Plus, we can meet Janet IRL.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Great job on the choices everyone! I did not do anywhere near as well on my first attempt (actually, i made the mistake of giving away my true name at fairy court, which flashes a terrifying smile at you and instantly ends the game), but that was a hell of a run, even if we didn't pick up Fire-Buddy Pyreworm or Monster Hunter Toby.

Also, with regard to the joke about everyone in this game being gay... Toby has a rather interesting object of personal power when we help him gather items to use as a focus to cast out the literal boogeyman in his closet.

And upon writing that out I just realised how many layers there actually are in that scene, holy poo poo.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
This has been a super fun thing to read for the past two weeks. Thank you.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think the most human thing we could do would be a heavy-handed attempt to deceive Decker by pretending not to understand.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Mzbundifund posted:

I think the most human thing we could do would be a heavy-handed attempt to deceive Decker by pretending not to understand.

This.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Decker is our friend. We don’t lie to our friends, we protect them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ephemeron posted:

Decker is our friend. We don’t lie to our friends, we protect them.

Agreed, protect.

Also, in other news, I tried to see what Gamefaqs had on this game, and it did say the brilliantly punny name of the upcoming sequel.

Open Sorcery: Sea++.

I couldn't make that up if I tried.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

There's only one choice here.
We are the fire that protects.

I think this is an excellent little game!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

[MOD EDIT] Please respect the OP's spoiler policy. Thanks.

Huh, I thought I was being in line there, since the OP announced that this wont be shown off.
Nevermind then. I'm bad at that.

Become a person. It's right in the games subtitle.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 20, 2018

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

This has been a super fun thing to read for the past two weeks. Thank you.
I had a blast going through it! There have been entire games made about how morbid it is to take pride in showing off things you didn't make, but I think it's legitimate. It also gave me an excuse to think over the events and dialogue more than I otherwise would. I caught a bunch of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise, like how Titania knows your name regardless of whether you told it to her.

Yeah Decker, Timba's prophecy is useless. I mean it's not like we knew about any water/death threats that we could investigate instead of, I don't know, dismissing out of hand. rear end in a top hat.

Huh, I thought I was being in line there, since the OP announced that this wont be shown off.
FWIW, I don't think that was out of line at all. I can't guarantee it was good for the LP to limit the spoiler policy to "upcoming events" and let people talk about alternate possibilities all they want, but that's the approach we've been taking through the whole thing (partly because I really like talking about this game).

RickVoid posted:

I did not do anywhere near as well on my first attempt (actually, i made the mistake of giving away my true name at fairy court, which flashes a terrifying smile at you and instantly ends the game), but that was a hell of a run, even if we didn't pick up Fire-Buddy Pyreworm or Monster Hunter Toby.
Look at this scrub. I'll have you know, I lasted a full two choices longer on my first playthrough. In retrospect, I feel like kind of a dunce.
(mumbles) it's a different context when you're playing it over a couple hours instead of a couple days okay

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Doopliss posted:

Look at this scrub. I'll have you know, I lasted a full two choices longer on my first playthrough. In retrospect, I feel like kind of a dunce.
(mumbles) it's a different context when you're playing it over a couple hours instead of a couple days okay

I was in full robot beep-boop roleplay mode when it happened, and felt like a real idiot when I clicked the beep-boop robot answer and realised that it was the only one on the list that is actually her "true" name.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Having learned about Life, Love, a little bit of Chaos, and we can breathe Air, let's give humanity a shot and become Janet's girlfriend

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

We are the fire that protects. (Can someone show the beep boop dialogue off as well after this is over?)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
My first run I did really well until I got to the race against the hungry ghost, where I panicked and got Toby eaten :(

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
My first run I died heroically in battle against the hungry ghost, which was bittersweet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nevermind then. I'm bad at that.

Doopliss posted:

FWIW, I don't think that was out of line at all. I can't guarantee it was good for the LP to limit the spoiler policy to "upcoming events" and let people talk about alternate possibilities all they want, but that's the approach we've been taking through the whole thing (partly because I really like talking about this game).

Oh. Well, if that's the case then I guess feel free to repost it then. It didn't seem like a spoiler to me, but I figured I'd err on the side of caution and nip it, but if the OP's fine with it then yeah, go for it.

Sorry about that.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Be human. Thanks for showing us this game!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh. Well, if that's the case then I guess feel free to repost it then. It didn't seem like a spoiler to me, but I figured I'd err on the side of caution and nip it, but if the OP's fine with it then yeah, go for it.

Sorry about that.

No problem. It's good that you keep a close look at that sort of stuff.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
C:\Open Sorcery\Updates\28_Thank_You_For_Playing.upd

Becoming human had a strong running, and it's probably my second favourite ending dialogue next to this one, but we are and remain this place's guardian. Our friends are here, Janet's here, and they're all worth taking care of. They're going to need it, too, if the rate of threats continues like it has in the past. If we wanted to leave, we could have done so as soon as we got back from the Seelie Court. We've grown, and we like what we've become.

And that's the game. We've been through a whole lot, and it's fair to say we protected the hell out of this network. No deaths, and apparently no lasting trauma on the survivors. We didn't see all the events, and we obviously didn't see all the outcomes to those events we did see, but we saw the majority of the stuff available. Particularly on a "good" playthrough.

If you already have this game, I suggest checking out the Extreme Nightmare Hunter Toby arc. To unlock it, you have to do get Air (Asper/Titania), befriend Toby (sparing Toby's Nightmare is encouraged but not I think necessary), befriend Pyreworm and get her to stay in Decker's apartment. Then, when the magnetic storm hits, send Pyreworm over to Janet's House. If you try to talk Decker into transmitting Pyreworm and you have over 70 Decker points, you'll encounter my favourite dialogue in the game.

If you're looking for additional "click on the coloured text" funtimes, I suggest 16 Ways to Kill a Vampire At McDonalds. It's free!

Finally, of course, thank you all for joining me. I love this game to pieces, and it was a pleasure to share this goofy touching adventure. Maybe I'll see you around.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 21, 2018

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
There's also a thing back with Mrs. Dowd, the woman who's teeth and stuff was falling out, where you can send Decker to "deal" with the issue. That's a rather fun one too!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
My favorite choice in the endgame is probably to send Decker to his dad. "He may be a bigot, but he doesn't deserve this!"
Then he goes to the retirement home and just talks to him, rather than using some sort of magic.

Also it's cool that Andy can sing the water healing song. That removes 50% of the hungry ghost's power. It's really effective, but you need a lot of requirements for that.

Sending Andy to Sarah is also really interesting.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

My favorite choice in the endgame is probably to send Decker to his dad. "He may be a bigot, but he doesn't deserve this!"
Then he goes to the retirement home and just talks to him, rather than using some sort of magic.

Also it's cool that Andy can sing the water healing song. That removes 50% of the hungry ghost's power. It's really effective, but you need a lot of requirements for that.

Sending Andy to Sarah is also really interesting too.

Wait what.

I missed so many things.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Sending Andy to Sarah is also really interesting.
Doing both of these things results in the best E.P.I. Log ever. Andy's head in Decker's lap, as they sit together and have two phone calls with unrelated people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Doopliss posted:

Doing both of these things results in the best E.P.I. Log ever. Andy's head in Decker's lap, as they sit together and have two phone calls with unrelated people.

Yeah I've seen that. How weird is it to have your head on someones lap while being on the phone? That sounds super uncomfortable and kinda annoying. :)

• Locked thread