Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are you glad that anime strike is gone?
yeah
heck yeah
don't care, i just used torrents for their exclusives
it is a tragedy because i was dumb enough to pay for it
View Results

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Anime strike is dead and all of its content is now on regular amazon prime streaming. A separate subscription on top of a base subscription sucked and I'm glad it is gone.

Who knows? Maybe amazon will stop claiming new anime licenses entirely, but for now there's some good poo poo on there. As a result, I am watching kara no kyoukai over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just put everything on Crunchyroll, if it's gonna be on a separate service I will never see it because :effort: and :10bux:.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Definitely some stuff I’ll watch now that I don’t need stacking amazon subs

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I dunno how they thought they could get away with double paywalls. That poo poo's nutso.

maybe they thought they could get into the lucrative "People who will pay money for something twice" market that the video game people seem to be chasing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I dunno how they thought they could get away with double paywalls. That poo poo's nutso.

maybe they thought they could get into the lucrative "People who will pay money for something twice" market that the video game people seem to be chasing

they obviously didn't realize that their competition was torrents, not cr or netflix.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So now that I've remembered I have a Prime sub, what are some of these formerly-exclusive titles that are worth a look? Browsing through their video service seems kind of garbage.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nipponophile posted:

So now that I've remembered I have a Prime sub, what are some of these formerly-exclusive titles that are worth a look? Browsing through their video service seems kind of garbage.

Yea I hardly use prime video, what did Strike have on it that Crunchyroll doesn't?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Made In Abyss was a name that was thrown around a lot.

Princess Principal was also something people got behind.

Then you have weird instances like Crunchyroll has Umaru S1 while Strike got Umaru S2.

I can't comment on these since I do not have Prime or Strike when it lived. Except Umaru s1, which is good.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
The spin off series to pick up chicks in dungeons was on strike.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lessee, from the last season or two that hasn't been mentioned yet there was girl's last tour, land of the lustrous, and scum's wish. there was also a bunch of flawed stuff like uq holder, inuyashiki and virgin soul. then there are all the primo older shows, but i'm not sure what was locked behind anime strike and what wasn't. also, the browser is terrible!

it's honestly not that big a deal since for the duration of anime strike's lifetime most of us were pirating the good stuff.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm glad that I can watch Princess Principal legally now

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Fune wo Amu is good and people should watch it now that it's easier to do so.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

jeff bezos can get hosed!!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh hey now I can watch Land of Lustrous and Girls' Last Tour finally.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

OnimaruXLR posted:

I dunno how Amazon Prime works in other territories, but Amazon Prime in mine at least is basically just some Amazon exclusive content and then if you want any of their other content it's locked behind a second subscription. So you have the actual Amazon Prime content, but then a lot of other stuff is only included if you get a HBO subscription through Amazon Prime. Or a Starz one. Or whatever. Amazon uses double pay a lot I notice. Their Audible service is the same. Subscription gets you 1 to 3 free credits a month, which can be used to buy any book for 1 credit apiece but if you use up your credits then any further books are just offered at a slight discount. Fortunately, they do a daily deal, which usually discounts something to about $2 or $3 (or equivalent in £££s), and they have some good stuff at least once or twice a week on average. I'm pretty sure Comixology does something similar too, though I don't use it so I can't recall off hand. Which is disappointing, since subscription giving you unlimited access to their library of content for as long as you're subscribed would obviously be much more satisfying and is the model I've come to expect from online content producers.

Fake Edit: Or at least, that was what I intended to say on it's own until I went to the Amazon Prime site on my laptop to double check which subscriptions they were advertising and now all of that stuff is gone. Which, I'm not sure if Amazon made a change in the last 24 hours since I last looked at it on my Playstation instead of my laptop or if logging in on my laptop for once and being asked to set some preferences when doing so made some massive change. Regardless of that, their anime offerings here are still pretty awful and it's mostly just the various Pokemon shows and a couple of older things like "Swiss Family Robinson". All the really good recent stuff like "Land of Lustrous", "Princess Principle" and "Made in Abyss" isn't available, so I can't even use it to see them legally.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 7, 2018

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

tsob posted:

I dunno how Amazon Prime works in other territories, but Amazon Prime in mine at least is basically just some Amazon exclusive content and then if you want any of their other content it's locked behind a second subscription. So you have the actual Amazon Prime content, but then a lot of other stuff is only included if you get a HBO subscription through Amazon Prime. Or a Starz one. Or whatever. Amazon uses double pay a lot I notice. Their Audible service is the same. Subscription gets you 1 to 3 free credits a month, which can be used to buy any book for 1 credit apiece but if you use up your credits then any further books are just offered at a slight discount. Fortunately, they do a daily deal, which usually discounts something to about $2 or $3 (or equivalent in £££s), and they have some good stuff at least once or twice a week on average. I'm pretty sure Comixology does something similar too, though I don't use it so I can't recall off hand. Which is disappointing, since subscription giving you unlimited access to their library of content for as long as you're subscribed would obviously be much more satisfying and is the model I've come to expect from online content producers.

Fake Edit: Or at least, that was what I intended to say on it's own until I went to the Amazon Prime site on my laptop to double check which subscriptions they were advertising and now all of that stuff is gone. Which, I'm not sure if Amazon made a change in the last 24 hours since I last looked at it on my Playstation instead of my laptop or if logging in on my laptop for once and being asked to set some preferences when doing so made some massive change. Regardless of that, their anime offerings here are still pretty awful and it's mostly just the various Pokemon shows and a couple of older things like "Swiss Family Robinson". All the really good recent stuff like "Land of Lustrous", "Princess Principle" and "Made in Abyss" isn't available, so I can't even use it to see them legally.

Anime Strike was a US only thing that was under a paywall after having Amazon Prime. Most of the content were licensed by Sentai in the US and they were using Amazon to distribute the episodes. Starting this season, either the agreement between Sentai and Amazon are over or Sentai just decided to stop using them and started using HiDive. For "Land of Lustrous", "Princess Principle" and "Made in Abyss", they were licensed by Sentai in the US and is on Amazon in the US. Worldwide, they are probably on HiDive.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I think it'll be interesting to see how much stuff goes where next season. Maybe Amazon will just drop out after putting out whatever they already signed the papers for, and it'll just be Crunchy/VRV/Funi and HiDive doing the simulcast thing while Netflix continues Being Netflix.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

[Said with a dignified air - obviously an intelligent person] I Pay money for my Japanese cartoons.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

jeff bezos can get hosed!!!

he is incredibly evil

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Helter Skelter posted:

I think it'll be interesting to see how much stuff goes where next season. Maybe Amazon will just drop out after putting out whatever they already signed the papers for, and it'll just be Crunchy/VRV/Funi and HiDive doing the simulcast thing while Netflix continues Being Netflix.

the faster we get to the inevitable future of the CR/VRV/Funi alliance being the monopoly on anime the better. Unless they supremely gently caress up that's obviously what's coming anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think amazon picked up anything from the latest season. they might make another go of it eventually, but for now they seem to be out of the anime simulcast game.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

My gut tells me that the reason anime strike is dead is because amazon is gonna buy crunchyroll's parent company, and that all this nonsense was to put pressure on them to sell. We're all gonna be watching anime on amazon soon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Anime strike is dead and all of its content is now on regular amazon prime streaming. A separate subscription on top of a base subscription sucked and I'm glad it is gone.

Who knows? Maybe amazon will stop claiming new anime licenses entirely, but for now there's some good poo poo on there. As a result, I am watching kara no kyoukai over the weekend.

Is it still NA only

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Anime Strike dies, but so does Batoto. The monkey paw closes one more finger.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What's VRV?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Anime Strike dies, but so does Batoto. The monkey paw closes one more finger.

Tell the Monkey's Paw it's a cheating gently caress. The deal is supposed to be that you get what you want in such a way that you regret getting it, not that it gets to do an unrelated awful thing. There's no style to that approach and we both know it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

the faster we get to the inevitable future of the CR/VRV/Funi alliance being the monopoly on anime the better. Unless they supremely gently caress up that's obviously what's coming anyway.

I’m curious to see if that alliance actually holds for much longer now that Sony has acquired Funimation.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Considering the whole point of the alliance was to serve as a bulwark against Amazon and Netflix being able to gobble up all the releases, I wouldn't be surprised if it died even ignoring the Sony purchase. It seems to have served its purpose for now, but I'm guessing it will continue for a while longer on inertia.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Considering the whole point of the alliance was to serve as a bulwark against Amazon and Netflix being able to gobble up all the releases, I wouldn't be surprised if it died even ignoring the Sony purchase. It seems to have served its purpose for now, but I'm guessing it will continue for a while longer on inertia.

Amazon and Netflix can win against CR/Funi/VRV by simply outspending them, which they're fully capable of. Whether they want to or not depends on their priorities. Those two pay license fees that cost more than the production itself, and when the Japanese producers get a taste of those fees they don't want to go back to anything less if they don't have to. You'll never see a new Fate series on Crunchyroll again now that Netflix has their talons in it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is it still NA only

Yes but I recently discovered that most (all?) of the stuff Amazon picked up for the the US only is on Hidive

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

livingfruitvirus posted:

Amazon and Netflix can win against CR/Funi/VRV by simply outspending them, which they're fully capable of. Whether they want to or not depends on their priorities. Those two pay license fees that cost more than the production itself, and when the Japanese producers get a taste of those fees they don't want to go back to anything less if they don't have to. You'll never see a new Fate series on Crunchyroll again now that Netflix has their talons in it.
Aren't Fate/Zero, the UBW series and that Illya Magical Girl Spinoff on Crunchyroll? Or is that North America-only? Like, the only "exclusive" Netflix actually has on the Type-Moon cash cow is Apocrypha (which I've heard/read from everyone and their that, aside from some cool moments, it is incredibly lackluster/downright boring).

I'm OK with Anime Strike going the way of the dodo, but I feel that, flawed as Strike was, it created a sense of competition.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

[Said with a dignified air - obviously an intelligent person] I Pay money for my Japanese cartoons.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Aren't Fate/Zero, the UBW series and that Illya Magical Girl Spinoff on Crunchyroll? Or is that North America-only? Like, the only "exclusive" Netflix actually has on the Type-Moon cash cow is Apocrypha (which I've heard/read from everyone and their that, aside from some cool moments, it is incredibly lackluster/downright boring).

I'm OK with Anime Strike going the way of the dodo, but I feel that, flawed as Strike was, it created a sense of competition.

None of those shows are new.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Wark Say posted:

Nothing is stopping Amazon from just putting new anime under Prime Streaming. Strike was pure double-dipping, which is why nobody liked it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Wark Say posted:

The overall effect of Amazon entering the space actually created a lot less competition. I don't think we would have seen the Funimation / Crunchroll partnership happen without the Amazon threat, and the past year has seen a lot of smaller players drop out.

Amazon does this in every industry they enter and it sucks rear end.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also Amazon videos player sucks rear end

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Here's a good take on Anime Strike. Amazon Studios isn't doing well and they're clearing house, this is likely a part of that.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Also Amazon videos player sucks rear end

Amazon probably has the best video quality out of the streaming services in U.S. Netflix is not that good except 4k content. Crunchyroll has not improved since like 2012. HiDive is just straight up garbage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LibrarianCroaker posted:

None of those shows are new.

livingfruitvirus posted:

You know, I don't dismiss these posts or anything, but given the article linked by renowned goon (and undeniable good boy :3:) an actual dog, I'm thinking that spending just because you can is not the solution.

I do find that last paragraph a bit less than favorable, though:

quote:

But Amazon did play a huge role in driving up licensing costs to their current stratospheric levels. Japanese producers are, no doubt, sad to lose them. Crunchyroll and Funimation... probably not so much. I don't think this will cool off license fees very much for the immediate future, but at least we're now less likely to see them continue to push higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Wark Say posted:

You know, I don't dismiss these posts or anything, but given the article linked by renowned goon (and undeniable good boy :3:) an actual dog, I'm thinking that spending just because you can is not the solution.

I do find that last paragraph a bit less than favorable, though:

From what I read around, Amazon Japan is still licensing exclusive for anime. Whether those will come to the US or just be a Japan only exclusive is something that will revealed in the future.

• Locked thread