Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
lmao im thinking about the time 3o made a post looking for a girl that would serve as a hostess for him and his fellow yuppies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

whomupclicklike posted:

How is this not illegal

idk about the British containment Zone, but in the US there's no legal right to recess

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lmao im thinking about the time 3o made a post looking for a girl that would serve as a hostess for him and his fellow yuppies

Post ur fave time he should be gulaged mine is the time he was mad about kids making noise at the pool

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Post ur fave time he should be gulaged mine is the time he was mad about kids making noise at the pool

Mine's the time he was outraged at the idea of parking cars on the lawn when you had a lot of people over, and claimed he'd move from any neighborhood where that happened.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Calling cops on the homeless

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

thermidor

:thermidor:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I went into the business/finance subforum and there was a thread on generational wealth where a bunch of goons talked about how to pass wealth to their children. One person mentioned having 8 rental properties and others implied that they basically had the option to make it so their children would never have to work. Another mentioned how it's annoying to inherit property from your parents and that cash is preferred because it's less of a pain to deal with.

It legitimately confuses me how people can feel comfortable talking about that sort of thing. Like, shouldn't there at least be some shame?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

there's a lot of goons in that subforum who make well over 100,000 a year and think they're middle class

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

It legitimately confuses me how people can feel comfortable talking about that sort of thing. Like, shouldn't there at least be some shame?

Shame is for the poor, you see.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I define middle class as anyone who derives their standard of living from both labor and capital. If someone works and draws a wage while also drawing any amount of income from investing, they are middle class. So, if a hypothetical someone makes six figures (pure wage, no stock) and rents while otherwise blowing their money on living, they are still working class, but that's where the whole labor aristocracy thing comes in...

"Upper class" don't draw wage at all. They don't need to because they own the companies and make their livelihoods entirely by extracting profit.

Fwiw, this is my own take on how these terms should be used to describe distinct types of people wrt their political economy.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

osirisisdead posted:

I define middle class as anyone who derives their standard of living from both labor and capital. If someone works and draws a wage while also drawing any amount of income from investing, they are middle class. So, if a hypothetical someone makes six figures (pure wage, no stock) and rents while otherwise blowing their money on living, they are still working class, but that's where the whole labor aristocracy thing comes in...

"Upper class" don't draw wage at all. They don't need to because they own the companies and make their livelihoods entirely by extracting profit.

Fwiw, this is my own take on how these terms should be used to describe distinct types of people wrt their political economy.

These terms already exist, Proletariat and Bourgeoisie

You could argue for the term "Petite Bourgeoisie," as well but I don't think that distinction needs to be made.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

osirisisdead posted:

Like "ate poo poo on live tv" said, I think proletariat/bourgeoisie better describe this. The problem with using the terminology in the way you're using it is that it doesn't really leave any clear way to denote the huge different in quality of life between someone making, say, $30k/yr and someone making $150k.

I feel like there are 2 important distinctions. One is the one you mentioned - whether someone draws most of their income from capital or whether they draw it from labor. The other is whether someone makes significantly more than people could expect to make under a hypothetical truly equitable society. I consider the latter important, because anyone who meets that standard stands to lose out from positive progress and can't be counted on to be an ally in the long run. While someone making $200k/yr with labor is still being exploited by capital, they are still doing better than they would under a more equitable, non-capitalist system.

edit: Also, the term "middle class" very clearly carries connotations of "an 'average' amount of income/wealth," and there's no way anyone making, say $200k could be considered to fit this interpretation. Your definition would also probably leave out at least the bottom 50% of Americans (unless you're counting people who draw a relatively insignificant amount of money from capital relative to their labor income).

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Jan 13, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is a lot of historical connotation wound up in these words, but I'd say that these days they are effectively synonyms.

proles - working class
middle class - petty burgers
the rich / upper class - burgers and actual aristocracy/nobility

Re: 200k/yr proles. That would fall under the "labor aristocracy". And I'd argue that having them exist is a strategic move by Capital to keep labor further divided into as many competing groups of bucketcrabs as possible. Seriously, the PPP in SF isn't the same as the PPP in Mississippi. You can't flatly compare wages without taking that into account, even though the people in SF do benefit more from cheap globalized goods, they are still paying > three grand a month in rent for a one bedroom apt on average.

Cyberpunkey Monkey has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Jan 13, 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
lol there's at least one goon here that makes 6 figures and has publically said in a post "I identify more with people making 30k a year"

nobody whines about him though because he loves bernie

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
this is becoming a weird space devoted to airing grievances about people I don’t give a poo poo about (dumb goons)

please post things that make us want to extirpate rich ppl

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Start from the richest person down and start guillotining them one by one. Once you've fixed the problem, you've figured out the size of the bourgeoisie hth.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the table where the $500k a year family whines about how they're completely average (after budgeting for things like 3 vacations a year)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

logikv9 posted:

lol there's at least one goon here that makes 6 figures and has publically said in a post "I identify more with people making 30k a year"

On the other hand, we give WJ no end of poo poo despite his many and loud proclamations of proletarian solidarity.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know that I'm being academically pedantic but, I am proposing these categories with clear lines so that they are rigorously meaningful rather than being muddled, questionable, and left up to interpretation.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Start from the richest person down and start guillotining them one by one. Once you've fixed the problem, you've figured out the size of the bourgeoisie hth.

cantor's guillotine

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

logikv9 posted:

now's a good time to bring up the dorkus that designs boxes for toys

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Weeping Wound posted:

now's a good time to bring up the dorkus that designs boxes for toys

This sounds like a cool job imo

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I have mentally come to associate this video of a horrible pizza being made with poster three olives. His spirit food, if you will. Watch till the end and its fairly obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4&t=3s

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Once each month, guillotine the wealthiest US citizen and distribute their assets to the bottom 50%. continue until Gini is acceptably low.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

bawfuls posted:

Once each month, guillotine the wealthiest US citizen and distribute their assets to the bottom 50%. continue until Gini is acceptably low.

You have to get the family too.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You have to get the family too.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

bawfuls posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don’t know what this is from, but public spectacle is a big part of my plan here. Allow the billionaires some room for gamesmanship, so the ones near the top can rush to give away wealth before their number comes up.

“This month we expected to behead Warren Buffet, but the crafty Oracle of Omaha has accelerated his philanthropy to an impressive degree, buying himself at least another month and moving Mark Zuckerberg to the top, making him the first millennial to be purged! Congrats Zuck!”

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

tower time posted:

I have mentally come to associate this video of a horrible pizza being made with poster three olives. His spirit food, if you will. Watch till the end and its fairly obvious.

I can't stop crying

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

bawfuls posted:

I don’t know what this is from, but public spectacle is a big part of my plan here. Allow the billionaires some room for gamesmanship, so the ones near the top can rush to give away wealth before their number comes up.

“This month we expected to behead Warren Buffet, but the crafty Oracle of Omaha has accelerated his philanthropy to an impressive degree, buying himself at least another month and moving Mark Zuckerberg to the top, making him the first millennial to be purged! Congrats Zuck!”

It's from Logan's Run.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4xRTafwaM

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I guess it's nice to see Jrodefeld is keeping busy since getting banned?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

At least the motherfucker is honest about it. Might earn him a pillow for his neck when he's guillotined.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gonna say he's not wrong about the headline, just wrong about which side to pick

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bawfuls posted:

I feel like it would unironically be a good idea to have the government threaten to execute the richest person in the country, leading to the richest people giving away their wealth/assets to try and avoid being at the top. Could probably result in a lot of redistributed money for the cost of only a handful of lives.

The main issue would probably be related to the difficulty of calculating the total value of individuals' assets, since the value would fluctuate and wealth could be hidden.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/WillGravesAP/status/953072371505750018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/953593013812514816

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the real tragedy:

https://twitter.com/Mad_Mantis/status/953598186614013953

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

tower time posted:

This is the funniest post on something awful dot com. The comedic timing is spectacular. Also guillotine the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Dip the pizza