Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

gmq posted:

Also, Kaho was in a relationship with Touya when he was in middle school.

Good lord for a series of what, 8 tanks total? There sure is all kinds of poo poo I forgot!

Also I watched like 7 minutes of the show before going "nope, manga is faster!" and switching over :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Good lord for a series of what, 8 tanks total? There sure is all kinds of poo poo I forgot!

Also I watched like 7 minutes of the show before going "nope, manga is faster!" and switching over :shepface:

There's a reason why this thread's title almost was "Clear-ly better than the manga" :v:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Meiling still exists

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Top-Tomoyo in this episode.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
There was a lot I liked about the new ep, but what's most important: LEAVE IT TO KERO-CHAN IS BACK!!!!!!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Suppi is a really good addition to it. He’s such a cute hardass.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Hot take: Siege is a trash card and it felt very random how it appeared from nowhere. It did lead to this great shot though:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Every frame of this show is beautiful.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

gmq posted:

Hot take: Siege is a trash card and it felt very random how it appeared from nowhere. It did lead to this great shot though:

My memory might be screwey and offset by bad dub but didn’t some of the original cards just jump Sakura out of nowhere?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Wood was just lying around in her house and only caused issues cause she didn’t seal it right away.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most episodes in the old anime at least let you see the card doing something in the background before the big confrontation. Here they're a bit starved for time to do that since they give a lot more focus on the daily life stuff.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

gmq posted:

Not that different from Lock or Loop though.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Meiling still exists

Best news.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah but the fact we don't even see the photos they were talking about suggests we won't see her this season

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
glad to see Meiling is still here. The episode where she found out Syaoran was into Sakura was surprisingly heartfelt.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
In an age where every animation studio cut edges (and sometimes the picture itself) when they can to save money, it's really refreshing to watch such a beautifully animated anime.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

:same:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

same kero

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://twitter.com/seina_401/status/951121723604140032

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If you're American go watch the best CCS-related media ever released: http://www.crunchyrollmovienight.com/

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

gmq posted:

Touya Kinomoto
Sakura’s brother. He bullies her a bit but is always making sure she’s safe. He was able to see ghosts and knows about Sakura’s magical side job but hasn’t told her. In love (and maybe in a relationship?) with Yukito.

How is this a question?
1) CLAMP refers to them(T & Y) as their "soul pair"
2)

A constant overnight "friend"

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Touya also gave up his latent magic to help save Yukito's life, and it that's not love then I don't know what is.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Command Ant posted:

Touya also gave up his latent magic to help save Yukito's life, and it that's not love then I don't know what is.

All they need to do now is give each other an eyeball and it'll be marital bliss.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've been watching the original anime and am more than halfway through. Review time!

It's generally enjoyable despite being more of a kids' show than most anime I watch. I've heard people say that it takes place in a world where everyone is impossibly nice, but that isn't really true; Xiaolang, Meiling, and Sonomi can all be jerks sometimes, and Kero is a jerk more often than not. It's true that no one is an outright villain...except a couple of the cards. I think this works for the kind of show it is; it keeps the stakes from becoming excessively high.

The show can still be quite tense when it wants to be, though. Little, Mirror, and the Hong Kong movie come to mind. At other times, catching the card of the week is incidental to some other aspect of that characters' lives and presents little challenge, and that's OK too.

My main previous exposure to shoujo magical girls shows was Sailor Moon Crystal, and it's amazing how much better a protagonist Sakura is than Usagi. Sakura is allowed to actually be not-terrible at things other than magic (she's improbably athletic, she seems to do OK in most of her classes, she's motivated to catch the Clow Cards even though she's initially afraid, and she even makes friends who seem to like her as a person and not for magical destiny reasons). She has flaws as well, but they're flaws that make sense for a 10-year-old: she's naive, prone to spacing out on occasion, and takes a while to figure out the right course of action when she's under attack.

Tomoyo is maybe more of a wish-fulfillment character than Sakura in some ways: she's brilliant, rich, an excellent singer, an excellent costume designer, and of course an excellent documentary filmmaker. Of course, due to her lack of magical or athletic abilities, she doesn't have quite as large a role in getting the Clow Cards as Sakura and Xiaolong in the later episodes. Plus she's madly in love with someone who doesn't feel the same way.

Xiaolang (the fanbase seems to consistently call him Syaoran, but the Crunchyroll subs use Xiaolang (except, oddly enough, for the movie, where they use Shaolan), plus the Y in Syaoran looks a bit silly) is also a good character. I like how he tries so hard to be serious but can't quite pull it off.

Meiling is the character that grew on me the most, I think. It's hard not to feel sorry for her; she must have tried really hard to get martial arts skills like that, to learn Japanese, etc., but she's still doomed to be overshadowed by Sakura at everything. A lot of the way she acts toward Sakura at first is obviously due to jealousy (both romantic and otherwise), but the scene where she thinks Sakura is going to kidnap her to get Xiaolang to hand over his cards, while played for laughs, reveals that there's some fear in there too. And while what we the audience know about Sakura's personality makes that absurd, it's an understandable reaction to someone with Sakura's power. Despite this, she does gradually warm to Sakura (and Tomoyo, though not Kero).

My least favorite character is Mizuki. She serves as a blatant deus ex machina in the Maze episode, the creepiness of her past relationship with Touya is never really called out (though I'll charitably assume it never went beyond the face-touching and talking about feelings shown onscreen), and her mysteriousness gets tedious (especially since it wouldn't be particularly out-of-character for Kero or Xiaolang to bluntly ask her what her deal is, but they never do).

Speaking of which, my biggest complaint about the show in general is probably the repetitive dragging out of certain plot points (Sakura dreams about Tokyo Tower, Kero looks at the moon and says "Yue"). I'm not sure how much of this is the result of it being adapted from a shorter manga and how much of it is a misguided attempt to built tension.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
CLAMP really liked to drag out certain plot points.
And to make nonstandard relationships, to say the least.

Li Shaoran is how the name 李 小狼 is interpreted in japanese. (or Ri Shaoran. Or whatever combo of R/L you wanna use.)
In Chinese 李 小狼 becomes LǏ Xiǎoláng. (I had to copypaste the name 'cause holy crap that's a lot of accent symbols)

Like Zhuge Liang vs Shoukatsu Koumei. When it's a chinese name japanese shows will usually use the japanese reading for convenience, whereas written translations will often stick to the native reading. (Although the japanese readings tend to be easier and/or shorter so fanbase might default to that one)

"Syaoran" is using an alternative (old-school) romanization scheme that for some reason stuck with CCS.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Silver2195 posted:

I've been watching the original anime and am more than halfway through. Review time!

The show can still be quite tense when it wants to be, though. Little, Mirror, and the Hong Kong movie come to mind. At other times, catching the card of the week is incidental to some other aspect of that characters' lives and presents little challenge, and that's OK too.

What up fellow original anime rewatcher :hf:

I’m also more than halfway through the series (maybe 3/4ths?), and I was a little surprised at how good the original still is. Nostalgia does play a large role in my liking of the series, but it possesses a lot of its own merits as well.

In terms of cards being incidental to the characters’ lives, one of my favorite episodes has to be the Sleep episode — the one where Sakura’s dad is preparing for a big college presentation. There were a lot of good dynamics about single-parent familyhood, as well as the first(?) introduction to the lesson of “magic/Clow Cards can’t solve everything.” Still ended on a :3: note too. But yeah, this was one I appreciated a lot more watching now versus over a decade ago.

By the way, what’s everyone’s favorite songs from the original? Catch You, Catch Me and Groovy are by far the best IMO :colbert:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

My favorites have to be "Catch You, Catch Me," "Fruits Candy," and "Platinum," but my all in all favorite song has to go to "Yoru no Uta." Tomoyo is just so cute! Hope she sings in this series too.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Ki Ni Naru Aitsu is actually the best song

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nondevor posted:

:as well as the first(?) introduction to the lesson of “magic/Clow Cards can’t solve everything.”

Which falls apart when you realize she could have asked Xiaolang to rewind the day for her at midnight. Unless that would have taken too much magical power?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm going to rank Tobira o akete at the bottom overall, but the rest is incredibly difficult. Probably going with Honey for best ED, and Fruits Candy and Groovy tied. Going to rank Catch You Catch Me just a hair above Platinum. The movie 1 theme (Tooi kono machi de) wins over the movie 2 theme (Ashita e no melody), in fact I will rank movie 1 theme together with Platinum and movie 2 theme is down there with Tobira o akete.

Tired Moritz posted:

Ki Ni Naru Aitsu is actually the best song
So bad production I can't stand listening to it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

nielsm posted:

I'm going to rank Tobira o akete at the bottom overall, but the rest is incredibly difficult. Probably going with Honey for best ED, and Fruits Candy and Groovy tied. Going to rank Catch You Catch Me just a hair above Platinum. The movie 1 theme (Tooi kono machi de) wins over the movie 2 theme (Ashita e no melody), in fact I will rank movie 1 theme together with Platinum and movie 2 theme is down there with Tobira o akete.

So bad production I can't stand listening to it.

what about Hitorijime

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Platinum and Yoru no Uta!

I actually liked Ashita e no melody, can't even remember the first movie's theme.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Actually, the best op was the English one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UE5GA1QB9I

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
that's a ban

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The new card activation animation looks swanky.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I still can't get over how good this is.

Did Sakura faint because of exhaustion from rapid-firing Gale, or because Mysterious Caped Person did something? Looking forward to seeing the mysterious transfer student.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Frogman.exe RV Costume is best and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

Edit: Huh, why are CR using "Spinny" when Kero's clearly saying "Suppi"? I was under the impression that former was a dub'ism? :confused:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 21, 2018

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
His name is Spinel Sun, and the first part is rendered in Japanese as Supineru, hence Suppi as the nickname. It doesn’t make much sense if you say it like how it should be in English, so I think Spinny gets it across well enough.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hum, you'd think they'd be willing to step over that line to ixnay on the dub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
In this episode, Sakura defeats the Colour out of Space.

• Locked thread