Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

kaito's eyes match his outfit....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
New OP/ED April 8th.

It's kinda funny that the current ED is about Sakura's birthday and it last plays on her birthday.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
On episode 64 now. I stopped watching for a while because the Eriol arc was dragging a bit, but this episode has an interesting atmosphere.

Rant time: Eriol really is the worst. It's clear from the scenes where he leverages his charisma that he has Clow's adult mind at least to some extent, which makes his messing with the lives of Sakura and her friends extra gross. I'm sure it will turn out that he's working towards some kind of plan that may be for the greater good, but it's obvious that a lot of what he does is at least partially for his own amusement. If he just wants Sakura to transform the cards, he could just be honest about his identity and give her a schedule for transforming them.

Not saying this is bad writing so far, since I don't get the impression we're supposed to like him, but the mention of him in this thread's OP gives me the impression that Sakura and Xiaolang will forgive him at some point. I guess you could compare it to Touta forgiving Mirror, but Eriol comes across as someone who ought to know better.

(As an aside, it's interesting that there seems to be so much more emphasis on forgiveness in Japanese than in American fiction, despite the influence of Christianity in America. Has anything interesting been written somewhere about why this is the case?)

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
Tomoyo sometimes is annoying with her camera -_-

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

unstucker posted:

Leave this thread immediately. Sakura may forgive your misdeeds but I will not.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The end of episode 64 surprised me a little, with Eriol saying to himself that he felt bad about what he was doing to Sakura. I could imagine scenarios (albeit far-fetched ones; my point about just asking Sakura to transform the cards still stands) where this is consistent with his actions, but it certainly isn't consistent with the way his facial expressions have been depicted or how he's been voice acted up to this point, or even with some of the things he says to Spinner and Ruby.

Episode 65 finally resolved two plot threads: Yukito disappearing, and Sakura figuring out that Toya knows about her various supernatural secrets. It was a good scene, but somewhat marred by how much the Yukito plot point was dragged out beforehand. Given how often Yukito seems to stay over, it was rather absurd that Toya never had an opportunity to discuss it without Ruby interrupting.

Looks like Episode 66 will be about Sakura realizing that Xiaolang is the one she really loves, leaving four episodes for Sakura to realize Eriol is her enemy and defeat him.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

unstucker posted:

NO

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

The end of episode 64 surprised me a little, with Eriol saying to himself that he felt bad about what he was doing to Sakura. I could imagine scenarios (albeit far-fetched ones; my point about just asking Sakura to transform the cards still stands) where this is consistent with his actions, but it certainly isn't consistent with the way his facial expressions have been depicted or how he's been voice acted up to this point, or even with some of the things he says to Spinner and Ruby.

Episode 65 finally resolved two plot threads: Yukito disappearing, and Sakura figuring out that Toya knows about her various supernatural secrets. It was a good scene, but somewhat marred by how much the Yukito plot point was dragged out beforehand. Given how often Yukito seems to stay over, it was rather absurd that Toya never had an opportunity to discuss it without Ruby interrupting.

Looks like Episode 66 will be about Sakura realizing that Xiaolang is the one she really loves, leaving four episodes for Sakura to realize Eriol is her enemy and defeat him.

I love your posts. I don't really remember what I thought during the original run since it was so long ago so it's interesting to read a fresh look.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I want to see the sunfish flaming hoop jump arena.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gently caress poo poo goddamnit this show also did the "americans voiced by japanese people speaking english well enough but not sounding natural" gag as Pop Team Epic :shepface:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 4, 2018

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
It's just a joke) Sakura was the first anime I watched in my childhood. I liked it very much)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

gently caress poo poo goddamnit this show also did the "americans voiced by japanese people speaking english well enough but not sounding natural" gag as Pop Team Epic :shepface:

I don't think that was supposed to be a gag.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Silver2195 posted:

(As an aside, it's interesting that there seems to be so much more emphasis on forgiveness in Japanese than in American fiction, despite the influence of Christianity in America. Has anything interesting been written somewhere about why this is the case?)

It restores social harmony and enables the individual to return to the group's fold. Asian cultures are big on communal values.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Silver2195 posted:

Because Christianity generally rapidly morphed into a form that had nothing to do with real forgiveness, tying redemption purely with belief in Christ. Doctrine revolved around eternal punishment, with forgiveness something you can purchase for money, or through personal acts of prayer, and so on. Jesus is a thing, but no 'fundamentalist' Christian seeks to act like him, instead holding him as superhumanly good. US culture also is hugely inflicted with the just world fallacy.

Contrast say, Buddhism, where punishment is inherently temporary - your next life might suck but there's no real Bad Ending for most people. Or Shintoism where there is no punishment in the afterlife but the dead have the ability to punish the living to redress injustices. Forgiveness and practical redemption is thus inherently a part of spiritual practices, at least in theory.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 6, 2018

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Uh, you're generalizing quite a bit there. At least qualify it as "American Christianity" or something.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

And you're the guy who said " Asian cultures are big on communal values. "

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I finished the original series.

I was pumped up for Eriol's final test while I was watching it, but now that I think about it, it basically just consisted of everyone lending Sakura their energy so she could transform Light and Dark, while Eriol just stands around after the initial sleep spell. I was expecting Eriol to actually fight her like Yue did, although I realize now that he had no reason to do so.

We finally get an explanation for Eriol's actions. If I understand correctly, it's that he wasn't sure if Sakura could have transformed the cards if she didn't actually believe it was urgent. Magic being strengthened by emotion and willpower has come up a couple times before in the series and is a common trope in general, so I guess that makes sense. Eriol is still an rear end in a top hat, though.

We also finally get an explanation of how the reincarnation thing works; he's a separate person, just with Clow's memories and magic. I've heard that in the manga he's somehow only half a reincarnation, and Professor Kinomoto is the other half. Why did the anime change that?

Now all that's left before the new series is The Sealed Card.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The anime taking out that plot point is pretty significant, since Clow's original motivation was that he didn't want to be the strongest magician anymore, so he split his soul when reincarnating himself, but he wasn't able to split her memories or magic. So that's why he had Sakura go through all his trials so she'd get strong enough to do it for him, which is also something he foresaw would happen with his precognition. The cards losing their magic was also in there but it was very much a minor side goal.

So in the manga, after transforming Light and Dark, Sakura's dad shows up having not fallen asleep like everyone else, and Eriol reveals to everyone that he's the other reincarnation of Clow, which the manga's been dropping hints about ever since Eriol showed up. Eriol has Sakura divide his magic between them right then and there. And once her dad gets the magic, we get to see him seeing Nadeshiko again later on, which is a pretty sweet moment, especially since Touya can no longer see her.

I guess the anime cut that plot thread for time constraints, but I do wish they hadn't because cutting it kinda de-emphasizes how much of a selfish dick Clow is, and of course he'd be sweet on his daughter and give her his whole magical legacy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

get in the drawer akiho

https://i.imgur.com/evd5eC8.gifv

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Happy birthday (in local japan time) Sakura

No new episode so instead we'll get livestreamed event

https://live.line.me/channels/21/upcoming/7720036

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I look forward to Meiling and Tomoyo trying to outdo each other in the "I'm not bitter" contest

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Fangz posted:

Because Christianity generally rapidly morphed into a form that had nothing to do with real forgiveness, tying redemption purely with belief in Christ. Doctrine revolved around eternal punishment, with forgiveness something you can purchase for money, or through personal acts of prayer, and so on. Jesus is a thing, but no 'fundamentalist' Christian seeks to act like him, instead holding him as superhumanly good. US culture also is hugely inflicted with the just world fallacy.

Contrast say, Buddhism, where punishment is inherently temporary - your next life might suck but there's no real Bad Ending for most people. Or Shintoism where there is no punishment in the afterlife but the dead have the ability to punish the living to redress injustices. Forgiveness and practical redemption is thus inherently a part of spiritual practices, at least in theory.

So is this what cardcaptor sakura is about? Just clicked on this thread and im a little confused here.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

The new OP/ED are cute as hell! I love them.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

halleys comet posted:

So is this what cardcaptor sakura is about? Just clicked on this thread and im a little confused here.

No not at all, it's about many things but not that conversation

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Wait, so, Sakura’s brother has magic powers? I had trouble parsing his conversation with angel man. (I never watched CCS)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Touya had the potential to do magic but it never manifested beyond being able to see ghosts. He sacrificed his power to save his boyfriend in the original series.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

FAT BATMAN posted:

Wait, so, Sakura’s brother has magic powers? I had trouble parsing his conversation with angel man. (I never watched CCS)

Touya in the original series had magical powers that manifested as some combination of Super Senses, Second Sight, and Precognition. In the original CCS there's a running gag that every episode Touya has a new part-time job that just happens to be near the action, but it actually later reveals that Touya's constant job changes are because he knows in advance where Sakura is going to get in trouble and wants to be there to help if he can. The whole reason he's so stand-offish about Syaoron is that he knew immediately upon meeting him that someday Sakura would marry him and Touya is overprotective and didn't want to give up his little sister even to her future husband.

Because of the nature of his powers and the viewpoint of the show this is rarely made explicit, but it is explicit. One of the episodes where it is made fully apparent in the original series involves the Mirror Card, who is pretending to be Sakura and lures Touya into falling off a cliff. Touya doesn't know about the Clow Cards at this point (he knows Sakura's tied up in something but doesn't fully know what, and moreover realizes he can't actually help her directly), and assumes that The Mirror is a ghost with unfinished business and indicates both that he can see ghosts and that he's previously helped lay spirits to rest. Later when Sakura uses Mirror to stand in for her Touya knows immediately that The Mirror isn't Sakura and actually seems to know what she really looks like.

And as stated he does give up his magic late in the original series to help Yukito/Yue, on the condition that Yue watches over Sakura since he can't anymore.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dude just nonchalantly rewinding time like it was nothing was pretty wild

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
When will this show release me from the dread of seeing Tsubasa parallels everywhere

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Strange Quark posted:

When will this show release me from the dread of seeing Tsubasa parallels everywhere

Welcome to the CLAMP Zone (TM).

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This is a safe space, please don't talk about the T-word. :ohdear:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This episode, I thought for a moment we were going to have a Mami repeat.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

🤔

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Why the heck does Li have Windy?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SystemLogoff posted:

Why the heck does Li have Windy?

He's able to control the five elements with his magic now.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's able to control the five elements with his magic now.

That magic looked different than his normal magic is all I'm saying. :colbert:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I’m a bit sad that the show skipped the matching outfits but the fire one was good too...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

New Sakura nendo, available for preorder

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
By the way, the last third or so of the Sealed Card movie was really good. It was very intense and well-animated. The post-credits short was good too; very funny.

The stuff at beginning was dragged out too long, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Holy poo poo, that answered several questions and then some. What an amazing episode, and the Flight scene was the most adorable yet, I love these two magidorks.

Too bad there's a whole one episode left so I'm guessing this will end up unresolved, in a cliffhanger, and then to wait for another season.

• Locked thread