Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

gmq posted:

Something that amused me a bit yesterday is that from what I remember from the manga, Sakura's one of the most powerful magic users in the world after Eriol divided his powers but no one has bothered to train her at all, never uses magic for anything other than making videos with Tomoyo, etc. In the end she ended up getting saved by the new key.

I think kinda that was the point, IIRC, in that Clow's magic really brought him nothing except misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah but the fact we don't even see the photos they were talking about suggests we won't see her this season

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A schoolgirl has friends and a loving family.

How unrealistic

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm like 80% sure what's happening is that Sakura is inadvertently stealing this new kid's magic. The new cards pretty clearly do not have her name written on them. The only mystery to me is why her old cards went transparent.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

(As an aside, it's interesting that there seems to be so much more emphasis on forgiveness in Japanese than in American fiction, despite the influence of Christianity in America. Has anything interesting been written somewhere about why this is the case?)

Because Christianity generally rapidly morphed into a form that had nothing to do with real forgiveness, tying redemption purely with belief in Christ. Doctrine revolved around eternal punishment, with forgiveness something you can purchase for money, or through personal acts of prayer, and so on. Jesus is a thing, but no 'fundamentalist' Christian seeks to act like him, instead holding him as superhumanly good. US culture also is hugely inflicted with the just world fallacy.

Contrast say, Buddhism, where punishment is inherently temporary - your next life might suck but there's no real Bad Ending for most people. Or Shintoism where there is no punishment in the afterlife but the dead have the ability to punish the living to redress injustices. Forgiveness and practical redemption is thus inherently a part of spiritual practices, at least in theory.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 6, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

And you're the guy who said " Asian cultures are big on communal values. "

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

get in the drawer akiho

https://i.imgur.com/evd5eC8.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Touya had the potential to do magic but it never manifested beyond being able to see ghosts. He sacrificed his power to save his boyfriend in the original series.

• Locked thread