Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Movie 1 is kinda eh overall and movie 2 is well regarded as a great ending for the anime, though since it never happened in the manga, its events kinda get thrown out to agree with the setup in the new series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Clow has a tendency of making women really mad.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Namtab posted:

Don't know if we watched the same original anime op because it was always obvious that tomoyo was in love with sakura and I'm pretty sure yamazaki and chiharu are cousins.

E: the second point was the dub so I'll forgive you

E2: it was tomoyos mum and sakuras mum wh were cousins and also tomoyos mum was in love with sakuras mum

They don’t focus on it as much in the anime. Like the anime cut out Tomoyo’s line about how her love for Sakura is different from Sakura’s love for her.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

I thought she was straight up the most powerful magician in the world by the end. Like, the reason she was able to divide up Eriol's magic is because she was now stronger than Clow Reed, who previously held the title of the most powerful magician in the world.

You could say that it’s easier to do it to someone else than yourself, but also she had the help of Kero and Yue at the time to do it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fangz posted:

I think kinda that was the point, IIRC, in that Clow's magic really brought him nothing except misery.

My impression was that Clow didn’t want to be the most powerful magician anymore because he was bored by it, though that may be colored by the fact I tend to think of him as kind of a selfish dick. If it were something that he thought would lead to unhappiness, I don’t think he would have pushed it onto Sakura.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Suppi is a really good addition to it. He’s such a cute hardass.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most episodes in the old anime at least let you see the card doing something in the background before the big confrontation. Here they're a bit starved for time to do that since they give a lot more focus on the daily life stuff.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The new card activation animation looks swanky.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
His name is Spinel Sun, and the first part is rendered in Japanese as Supineru, hence Suppi as the nickname. It doesn’t make much sense if you say it like how it should be in English, so I think Spinny gets it across well enough.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I always feel like the last third of show is where it drags the most, but it’s kinda expected when they’re working with much shorter manga content with a major plot point excised completely.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't know if it's a deliberate callback, but it reminded me of how Sakura caught Fly in the manga, where it was specifically immune to Windy and she only got it by noticing its leg was injured and talking it down. The anime obviously moved this setting to Dash, though it lost the direct connection to Sakura with it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
His name is conspicuously Tsubasa-like.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
New OP/ED April 8th.

It's kinda funny that the current ED is about Sakura's birthday and it last plays on her birthday.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The anime taking out that plot point is pretty significant, since Clow's original motivation was that he didn't want to be the strongest magician anymore, so he split his soul when reincarnating himself, but he wasn't able to split her memories or magic. So that's why he had Sakura go through all his trials so she'd get strong enough to do it for him, which is also something he foresaw would happen with his precognition. The cards losing their magic was also in there but it was very much a minor side goal.

So in the manga, after transforming Light and Dark, Sakura's dad shows up having not fallen asleep like everyone else, and Eriol reveals to everyone that he's the other reincarnation of Clow, which the manga's been dropping hints about ever since Eriol showed up. Eriol has Sakura divide his magic between them right then and there. And once her dad gets the magic, we get to see him seeing Nadeshiko again later on, which is a pretty sweet moment, especially since Touya can no longer see her.

I guess the anime cut that plot thread for time constraints, but I do wish they hadn't because cutting it kinda de-emphasizes how much of a selfish dick Clow is, and of course he'd be sweet on his daughter and give her his whole magical legacy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
When will this show release me from the dread of seeing Tsubasa parallels everywhere

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

🤔

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's kinda funny how much of a non-twist the hooded figure's identity was in the anime, when it was (big spoils) Syaoran (but under some kind of magic mind control thing?) in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

What the, that's a really big change. Did the anime adaptation go that hard off the manga's plot?

Keeping the second movie canon to the story kinda necessitates some restructuring I bet

• Locked thread