Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little munchkin
it's crazy how every day society becomes more and more like a tv show that I've read about but never seen

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

google THIS

I raise my fist to the blackening sky as thousands of robotic enforcers descend upon my city like a stampede. Even now I can feel the nanobots my smartphone infected me with wreaking havoc on my cerebral cortex. Before the last vestiges of autonomous thought are snuffed from my brain I offer up one final cry of defiance: "I never even watched the show!"

wearing a lampshade

google THIS posted:

I raise my fist to the blackening sky as thousands of robotic enforcers descend upon my city like a stampede. Even now I can feel the nanobots my smartphone infected me with wreaking havoc on my cerebral cortex. Before the last vestiges of autonomous thought are snuffed from my brain I offer up one final cry of defiance: "I never even watched the show!"

Twenty Four

little munchkin posted:

it's crazy how every day society becomes more and more like a tv show that I've read about but never seen

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich

little munchkin posted:

----------------

alnilam

i don't even own a tv

[black mirror twist] ... i am a tv

sockingtonsworth

*enters combat/athletic stance every time I walk past my friends fridge with a screen on it*

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

sockingtonsworth posted:

*enters combat/athletic stance every time I walk past my friends fridge with a screen on it*
lol

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

cda

by Hand Knit
The real Black Mirror was the friends we made along the way.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Cynic, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are not as they ought to be.

-Ambrose Bierce

Macnult

iPhone: "Not enough memory. You can either delete a few photos, or upgrade your iCloud storage for more space."

British Person: *shrieks in terror*

BoldFrankensteinMir

This thread... is funny. But the title is dumb and there is not a strong central hypothesis. Is it that people talk about Black Mirror in social commentary without having watched it like a kind of modern "Kafka-esque"? Or is this some techno-utopian honeypot thread for dumping on the 'phobes who can't keep up with you starry-eyed STEMlords?

You have one day to get it together, weird TV ranty thread! So sayeth the IK!

Koishi Komeiji

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Is it that people talk about Black Mirror in social commentary without having watched it like a kind of modern "Kafka-esque"? Or is this some techno-utopian honeypot thread for dumping on the 'phobes who can't keep up with you starry-eyed STEMlords?

I have no idea, I don't watch tv. I just saw this thread and started winging it based off what other people were posting.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I have no idea, I don't watch tv. I just saw this thread and started winging it based off what other people were posting.

Oh okay so... wait a minute. Are you double-dipping now?

INT- Buckingham Palace. QUEEN ELIZABETH THE SECOND (70's) pulls her face forcebly from the glowing blue goggles of the QUANTUM FORUM, panting for breath.

QE2
What madness!! They tell jokes about the
jokes about the jokes, endlessly and on
forever!!!

GUARD 1
Shall we destroy the thread, yer
majesty!?

QE2
Belay that, captain. I'm going
back in...

Sig by Heather Papps

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

This thread... is funny. But the title is dumb and there is not a strong central hypothesis. Is it that people talk about Black Mirror in social commentary without having watched it like a kind of modern "Kafka-esque"? Or is this some techno-utopian honeypot thread for dumping on the 'phobes who can't keep up with you starry-eyed STEMlords?

You have one day to get it together, weird TV ranty thread! So sayeth the IK!

This is the funniest thread going rn what are u doing

cda

by Hand Knit
My thought is it would be funny if someone from the Victorian era looked at Kellogg's Corn Flakes and said "my God... It's just like looking into a black mirror," seeing as how back then Corn Flakes were a new thing back then, and also as how they've brought untold suffering on millions.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hugh Malone posted:

This is the funniest thread going rn what are u doing

I have no idea but I don't get this thread. Probably because I haven't watched Black Mirror.

Sig by Heather Papps

cda

by Hand Knit
Another funny thing would be a Victorian dandy reading "Dorian Grey" and saying "black mirror did it better."

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Black mirror s4e1: a patient gets a pacemaker

But they were trying to set a record for most microwave dinners eaten

They are bested by technology and are forced to adopt a normal diet

Slush Garbo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 16, 2018

cda

by Hand Knit
Or how about a hunter-gatherer looking at an irrigation ditch and just freaking the gently caress out

cda

by Hand Knit
The agricultural revolution profoundly reduced human quality of life and mortality rates for like a thousand years before they began to rise again. Crop rotation and walled cities were the real Black Mirror. And rivers, of course.

cda

by Hand Knit
Ancient Black Mirror writer, looking at the Tigris: ... But what if it flooded ALL the time, you wouldn't like it then, would you?

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
An amoeba hanging out with a buddy. Then there's three of them WTF

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Everybody's crawling out of the ocean these days. Going bipedal. Not me, though, not Eddy. I like it in here. I don't need to follow the crowd.

*gets fished out of ocean BY HIS OWN SON*

Modrasone

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Panicking woman wearing no makeup "All I did was lose 3 emotion credits because of my very human parenting issue"

Mr Black Mirror leaps into frame "Wotcha guv'ner yer now trapped inside your midwife's brain fer all eternity and it's got a logo"

Koishi Komeiji

Black Mirror: Origins S1E1: The fire that burns brightest

Episode summary:

Cavemen begin using a new invention called fire to cook meat and warm their caves. The technology seems good until it turns out it's bad because it can burn stuff too.

Notable quotes:

Caveman(seeing that his cave has burned down because he left the stove on): What grotesque hubris brought this upon man? To think he would play at being a god and temper the very forces of nature herself to his bidding. We though of technology as a boon but in the end we reaped only folly.

Dinosaur inside the stove who's job it is to blow on the fire to keep it going: Does this mean I don't get overtime? *laugh track*

Modrasone

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
A man looks out of an airplane window only to see a mid range I-Phone ripping the wings apart and nobody believes him.

FutonForensic

guy in a hoodie, talking to a smartphone: "Ok Google! Find me... my next murder victim"

Narrator: Uh oh! It looks like we're through the looking glass (pause) the black looking glass

cda

by Hand Knit

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Black Mirror: Origins S1E1: The fire that burns brightest

Episode summary:

Cavemen begin using a new invention called fire to cook meat and warm their caves. The technology seems good until it turns out it's bad because it can burn stuff too.

Notable quotes:

Caveman(seeing that his cave has burned down because he left the stove on): What grotesque hubris brought this upon man? To think he would play at being a god and temper the very forces of nature herself to his bidding. We though of technology as a boon but in the end we reaped only folly.

Dinosaur inside the stove who's job it is to blow on the fire to keep it going: Does this mean I don't get overtime? *laugh track*

haha

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Modrasone posted:

A man looks out of an airplane window only to see a mid range I-Phone ripping the wings apart and nobody believes him.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

FutonForensic posted:

guy in a hoodie, talking to a smartphone: "Ok Google! Find me... my next murder victim"

Narrator: Uh oh! It looks like we're through the looking glass (pause) the black looking glass

----------------

LP0 ON FIRE

beep boop

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

cda posted:

Ancient Black Mirror writer, looking at the Tigris: ... But what if it flooded ALL the time, you wouldn't like it then, would you?

lol

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
arthur c clarke throwing his iphone at the tv

Macnult

Modrasone posted:

lol

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Black Mirror: Origins S1E2: What Comes Around

Episode summary:

Ugh has trouble dragging bundles of sticks and rocks. Slick Caveman offers to help him by trying out his new invention: the wheel. This new invention makes moving his stuff easy at first, but quickly leads to a downward decent and the loss of all he holds dear.

Notable quote:

Ugh (after all his sticks and rocks rolled down the hill and into the ocean): What is the nature of a man but to toil against nature? We can strive to elevate ourselves, but in the end we succumb to our own hubris.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Twenty Four

lol

wearing a lampshade

cda posted:

My thought is it would be funny if someone from the Victorian era looked at Kellogg's Corn Flakes and said "my God... It's just like looking into a black mirror," seeing as how back then Corn Flakes were a new thing back then, and also as how they've brought untold suffering on millions.

Also their mirrors were filthy because they thought the filth would trap their reflections on the other side better (this was covered in season 10 EP 22 entitled "help I'm trapped behind this filthy loving mirror or is it they who are trapped????")

wearing a lampshade

It was definitely a turning point for the show when they just gave up cool titles in favour of just saying what the twist is. Definitely saved me having to look it up on wikipedia instead of watching and enjoying the show, and my anxiety dropped substantially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade

I definitely did not enjoy the 12th season though, where every episode was 40 minutes of Mitchell and Webb asking "are we the baddies?" in different time periods.

• Locked thread