Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I certainly remember the days of trawling IRC channels for chapter releases and can't fathom going back to something like that. Maybe if there was still a reasonable way to aggregate releases with a link to a given group's channel or site because for me at least it was the Follow feature on Bato.to that made life so much easier.

A lot of smaller groups and releases will simply go poof (hopefully temporarily) because they are not going to have a reasonable way to get those smaller/niche releases out to a wider audience in the way bato.to could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Am I actually gonna need https://www.mangaupdates.com/ for the first time in forever?

:sloppy:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Rip batoto, you will be missed. Flashbacks to the time onemanga went down.

Hopefully another site like it will appear, I don't want to use something like kissmanga where I need triple adblock like I'm visiting a nuclear place.

If someone has good wesites that I don't need to use any adblocks just to look at it, I would be thankful :3

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jose posted:

lol if you browse the internet without ublock origin

Kissmanga is such a poo poo trap that it sometimes has things sneak through it for me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Kissmanga is such a poo poo trap that it sometimes has things sneak through it for me.

i recommend turning on all the 3rd party filters if you haven't

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Yep, my point exactly.

The fact that people in this forum kept linking kissmanga where the chapter was also in batoto never helped. I dunno why people use that site I swear.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jackard posted:

Am I actually gonna need https://www.mangaupdates.com/ for the first time in forever?

:sloppy:
Oh right, baka-updates. That's how I used to do it :doh: I guess that's better than nothing.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

People just liked the “all pages in one” thing. That’s it.

I never really cared for that, clicking for a new page is much closer to the page turning experience anyway. Pages ain’t meant for ya to scroll onto em :colbert:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Nate RFB posted:

Oh right, baka-updates. That's how I used to do it :doh: I guess that's better than nothing.
Except now it no longer links to their websites! Enjoy~

https://www.mangaupdates.com/showtopic.php?tid=44023

El Burbo posted:

People just liked the “all pages in one” thing. That’s it.
What was the site that let readers leave comments on the page itself? That was kinda fun.

e: http://www.mangahere.cc/

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 8, 2018

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Time for the return of "We have some manga"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Does anyone remember stoptazmo?

Jackard posted:

Except now it no longer links to their websites! Enjoy~

https://www.mangaupdates.com/showtopic.php?tid=44023
There are apparently scripts that you can install to not only add sites and IRC channels but a couple of other options to make filtering easier.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 8, 2018

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Oh god, only from watermarks I think.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Does anyone remember stoptazmo?

I was reading a manga not too long ago that was picked up after years in scan limbo and some of the middle chapters still had the stop tazmo pages lol

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
Batoto was a drat good site and I uploaded lots of stuff myself, though I'm not a scanlator. Now that it's closing the problem isn't so much "where do I go for free manga", cause there's a fuckton of manga sites out there, but finding a site which is as user-friendly as Batoto is going to be a challenge. Lots of important sites like Kissmanga are using bots to rip the chapters from Batoto and when it closes I'm afraid they'll rip chapters from watermarked, low quality sites like mangareader.net, thus lowering the average quality across sites.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only huge usability problem Batoto had was that it wasn't possible to filter the index page for a chapter so you could only see chapters listed from certain languages or groups, so you'd get a million turkish/spanish language chapters you'd need to scroll too making pages much longer than they really needed to be.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
As bad as Kissmanga is, I think the mangafox/mangahere/mangapanda family (there's like a dozen that are all mirrors) might actually be more hosed in terms of intrusive ads and malware. I'm no expert but anecdotally they always seem to pop more adblock/virusblock alerts, not to mention intrusive slide-ins, autoplay videos, new windows and other awful poo poo.

The only huge usability problem Batoto had was that it wasn't possible to filter the index page for a chapter so you could only see chapters listed from certain languages or groups, so you'd get a million turkish/spanish language chapters you'd need to scroll too making pages much longer than they really needed to be.

You could do this but I think it required an account. Just had to sign up with an email address.

Not that I ever had a use for it but honestly kind of cool they had multi-language support/filtering built in for all the ignorant barbarians who don't speak the queen's english.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ah right.
Never saw the option, not worth finding now.

I had an account 'cos you need one to use it currently after all.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Will we be seeing archive dump torrents or similar, or do they only want to leave the data with trusted people?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
It's a real bummer. It was a "what if you could browse manga but it was a good" site, and... I don't know what will replace it, if anything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It'll be replaced by something that copies it directly with some improvements where/if necessary, considering it's recognised as best in class by a distance and needs replacing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The note at the end of the chapter of AniTomo that just went up says that they'll be posting future chapters on r/manga, so that's somewhere else to put on the list of places to be checked.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

nielsm posted:

Will we be seeing archive dump torrents or similar, or do they only want to leave the data with trusted people?

No dump:

/g/ is talking about putting about together a replacement, but they're, uh, bikeshedding site names and logos and arguing about IPFS.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Paracelsus posted:

The note at the end of the chapter of AniTomo that just went up says that they'll be posting future chapters on r/manga, so that's somewhere else to put on the list of places to be checked.

I have a feeling that this is going to happen to a lot of the stuff I read... Most of it is from small joints who only really post on batoto. I'm just going to have to dedicate a page in Sublime Text or something that lists the 50 new places to find stuff. And at least AniTomo is going to be released on reddit. I will not touch 4chan for anything and I assume a lot is going to be going there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nalin posted:

I have a feeling that this is going to happen to a lot of the stuff I read... Most of it is from small joints who only really post on batoto. I'm just going to have to dedicate a page in Sublime Text or something that lists the 50 new places to find stuff. And at least AniTomo is going to be released on reddit. I will not touch 4chan for anything and I assume a lot is going to be going there.

4chan is extremely non-conducive to dumping manga chapters. Most of it's probably going to the dumped into imgur album links and dropped onto subreddits/4chan/discords/forums.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Welp *cracks knuckles* time to kickstart a goon manga reader project

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

kidcoelacanth posted:

rip somemanga

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

See if you can get waffleimages back to host it on while you're at it.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.

4chan is extremely non-conducive to dumping manga chapters. Most of it's probably going to the dumped into imgur album links and dropped onto subreddits/4chan/discords/forums.

It's more likely than you'd think. I would dump Jitsu chapters on 4chan first before uploading it to Batoto. Same thing happens with Kaguya.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tarage posted:

So they scrape licensed sites too.

...what licensed sites, though? like, i'm pretty sure kissmanga is the only one with the balls to put Viz and DH stuff up. if they're not the literal only, then they're the only ones i've seen.

e: honestly the fact that none of the kiss sites have been permanently shut down is bonkers.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tarage posted:

It's more likely than you'd think. I would dump Jitsu chapters on 4chan first before uploading it to Batoto. Same thing happens with Kaguya.

Oh, I've seen it too, it's still really not good. Used to happen with JoJolion. It's a board for calling each other insults with images when it boils down to it, not for dumping something cohesive.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Tarage posted:

A lot of you folks are failing to realize how bad this is. Places like Mangahere, Mangapanda, Kissmanga, ect all scrape and re-upload from Batoto uploads. The manga you read on those websites will suddenly stop being updated because they do not have the infrastructure to go to every individual group/irc channel and download/upload.

This is going to have ramifications beyond just Batoto. A lot of small groups who have no website will vanish. This is the problem with other leech sites. As soon as the host dies, the leeches all die as well.

If you aren't worried, you should be.

lol

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

He’s right

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

El Burbo posted:

He’s right

The end is nigh

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Guess you'll have to support the industry. :shrug:

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
Guess you missed the times I've asked people to support the official releases of the stuff we scanlate. Or the pages I've put in our scanlation projects asking for such.

But I'm sure 1 sentence quips are easier.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Most of the stuff I read on batoto either doesn't have an official release that I know of, or didn't until recently.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Tarage posted:

Guess you missed the times I've asked people to support the official releases of the stuff we scanlate. Or the pages I've put in our scanlation projects asking for such.

But I'm sure 1 sentence quips are easier.

Where would we be without you?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Most of the stuff I read on batoto either doesn't have an official release that I know of, or didn't until recently.

This

I don't even use baototo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Where would we be without you?

with a lot less scanlated manga presumably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Namtab posted: