Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Julias posted:

^It 100% is dude.

Figured as much. gently caress Kissmanga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

lol if you use adblock + noscript instead of ublock + umatrix

Umatrix is really good with a filter selector that is more flexible, more powerful, and much easier/more user-friendly to configure thanks to the matrix design.
Thanks for this. It's a lot less hassle than noscript if only because it automatically whitelists the site you're looking at.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does umatrix come with that K-on character.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jose posted:

mangadex is nice and minimal but whatever tampermonkey or whatever script i've got to make manga load the entire chapter to scroll vertically doens't work for it yet

Somebody created a pull request on the github script for it already. Here is the modified script:

https://github.com/kyuucr/manga-loader/raw/39e3ec943c92ca43a5b25efdef8bb52d4256ea96/manga-loader.user.js

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
is anyone else getting a lot of images failing to load while browsing mangadex?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
They had some image uploading problems before they set up their FTP, no one has gone back to reupload though.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Best way to read manga anyway is lying in bed with a tablet app.

The best way to read manga is to hold the book in your hands!!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
The best way to read manga is to learn Japanese!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
The best wa-:barf:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The best way to read manga is by waiting 30 minutes first motherfuckers

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The best way to read manga is while the author is drawing it and commenting on besto garl.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

The best way to read manga is while the author is drawing it and commenting on besto garl.

Watching a mangaka stream and talk about their favorite characters is charming.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Julias posted:

^It 100% is dude.

it partly is. there's a lot of stuff on there that's scraped from batoto, but there's also a lot of stuff that batoto has literally never hosted and that's generally insanely difficult to find online (for example, they have the Dark Horse Berserk translations, not the old Engrish scans that call Guts "Gatsu" like every other site that hosts old Berserk), so I'm 99% sure they have at least some method of uploading stuff that isn't scraped and some people who do that semi-regularly.

e: like, honestly, kissmanga is loving weird and i'm really not sure how they operate, because every answer I've gotten leaves some missing pieces of the puzzle. scraping batoto explains how they have new, unlicensed stuff; it absolutely does not explain why they're able to have licensed stuff from ages ago, and it doesn't explain how they somehow have different scans in some cases than the very few other ultra-sketchy sites that do carry licensed poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 26, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the stuff they have that batoto don't is just ripped official scans and stuff 'stolen' of private sub groups

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so basically I should keep using kissmanga because it gets the jimmies of people who use such things as "private sub groups" extremely rustled

e: seriously i have no idea what that is, is that like that one guy who charges money to do Guyver translations and doesn't actually edit them into the raw or?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Xelkelvos posted:

gently caress Kissmanga.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I for one don't want to support anyone making a business of piracy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Also consider: kissmanga doesn't respond to DMCA requests. So those berserk scans were once on batoto, or another reader site they scraped (or a scanlator group, or just a dude who uploaded stuff illegally on a site that is now long gone). Once they're up, kissmanga just left then up. Batoto received a DMCA request, it got taken down.
Kissmanga may not be big enough to get a DMCA, and if they did they probably ignored it. I assume they did because that's not the legal gray area that most Scanlation exists in, that's just blatantly illegal.

So when I say that scraped batoto, that wasn't and isn't the only thing they scrape. It was just likely the biggest piece of the pie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh i don't disagree that it's blatantly illegal. literally every other site i've seen has the old "Gattsu" scans for that exact reason, and I wasn't even aware anyone had scanned the DH translations, which is why I just about shat bricks when I went to go dig a panel out from one of the early chapters a while back and saw that it wasn't in Engrish and had decent typesetting.

e: also, yeah, they're probably getting away with it by being hosted in Russia. (seriously, use your loving adblocker and noscript because I would be very not surprised if Putin's getting something out of it)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 26, 2018

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

(seriously, use your loving adblocker and noscript because I would be very not surprised if Putin's getting something out of it)

My novel solution to this problem is to not use the malicious site that's probably trying to add devices to a russian botnet.

Xelkelvos posted:

gently caress Kissmanga.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Russia has gone too far now by datamining my read manga series.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also consider: kissmanga doesn't respond to DMCA requests. So those berserk scans were once on batoto, or another reader site they scraped (or a scanlator group, or just a dude who uploaded stuff illegally on a site that is now long gone). Once they're up, kissmanga just left then up. Batoto received a DMCA request, it got taken down.
Kissmanga may not be big enough to get a DMCA, and if they did they probably ignored it. I assume they did because that's not the legal gray area that most Scanlation exists in, that's just blatantly illegal.

So when I say that scraped batoto, that wasn't and isn't the only thing they scrape. It was just likely the biggest piece of the pie.

Sounds like those Berserk scans are the official English translations released by an English publisher. Compared to fan translations this is less "legal grey area" and more "explicit copyright violation". Batoto wouldn't touch stuff like that with a ten-foot pole, even before getting a DMCA request.
The folks running Kissmanga could have grabbed it from any number of pirate or torrent sites though. And IIRC their website is hosted in China so they can just ignore US copyright laws forever.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Kissmanga is known to host official translations alongside fan translations, they legitimately don't care either way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

lol if you use adblock + noscript instead of ublock + umatrix

Umatrix is really good with a filter selector that is more flexible, more powerful, and much easier/more user-friendly to configure thanks to the matrix design.

how do i get it to stop blocking embedded tweets?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jose posted:

how do i get it to stop blocking embedded tweets?

probably whitelist twitter and twimg.com

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Kissmanga is known to host official translations alongside fan translations, they legitimately don't care either way.

Yea Kissmanga is some drat fine win.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Sounds like those Berserk scans are the official English translations released by an English publisher. Compared to fan translations this is less "legal grey area" and more "explicit copyright violation". Batoto wouldn't touch stuff like that with a ten-foot pole, even before getting a DMCA request.
The folks running Kissmanga could have grabbed it from any number of pirate or torrent sites though. And IIRC their website is hosted in China so they can just ignore US copyright laws forever.
Another note: batoto and kissmanga are not run the same way, as far as I know. Batoto didn't really check things heavily as they were uploaded, but if it was reported they would act upon it. Batoto staff didn't really seek things put and upload them, it was scanlators and just members of the site.

Kissmanga is its own thing, they have scripts and scrapers and stuff, maybe a person or two running things but not uploads from scanners. From things I've heard, they may or may not run all of the other sites like mangapanda or w/e and just collect ad money from all of it.

Pewdiepie posted:

:getout:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

They should have called the site Butthurto.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Use whatever site you want too. I just prefer to go to places that don't require me to wear a condom and a hazmat suit just to read my Mongolion cave drawings.

MFDelta
Oct 9, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Use whatever site you want too. I just prefer to go to places that don't require me to wear a condom and a hazmat suit just to read my Mongolion cave drawings.

lol if you don't wear a condom and a hazmat suit everywhere you go, including your parents' house

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They are all pretty illegal honestly, it's mostly a matter of finding the site that allows the highest quality images.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Kissmanga's the only site incl. dynasty that hosted the great sadly canceled Ninomiya Hikaru yuri manga so it's by far the best of them

Just use noscript

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'm just of the opinion that maybe we shouldn't revel in the fact that the site does illegal things without consequences.
Like, reading it because it's there is one thing, but saying "yeah they do illegal things and it's awesome" is another.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
You're already posting in the illegal crimes forum. If you didn't pay the proper license holder for whatever you're looking at, then it's a bootleg and you're ripping off someone's intellectual property for free. sorry but that's just how manga works.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Nah, I'll still chide the site which uses the content of scanalators without their consent and generally disregards it.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Obviously they're bad for that reason, and for heinous predatory ads and malware and all the other garbage, but seems a little disingenuous to tut-tut over infringing material if you still wouldn't be paying for the content wherever else you read it

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 27, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
My point is, essentially, yes we read these things, but we shouldn't revel in the fact that it's illegal.

If you have the money, buy subscriptions to places that release these things (CR, SJA - i recently re-upped my subscription there even though I don't read things there because holy poo poo, their online reader is absolutely intolerable).
If you can, but some volumes when they come out. I've even imported stuff from Japan that hasn't been - and likely won't ever be - licensed (though this is expensive and I haven't done it since going to grad school).

We should support official releases whenever we can to help the industry here grow. The more it grows, the more projects they can pick up and officially release! I like that, and understand when companies DMCA things because, yeah if you're scanning something that's licensed that's no bueno. (It's a bit more complex when something is licensed but WAAAAAY behind and the scanlations are current.)

If you can't afford it, well if you can eventually help out that'd be cool but don't sweat it. I'm not gonna shame people who can't spend money.

But if you can and you just say 'lol it's illegal and free, that's awesome', maybe rethink things?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I maintain several related subscriptions and frequently fall back to them in order to clarify what was actually written in the chapters when whatever complete garbage the speed scans try to call a translation becomes too hard to contort into a proper understanding. The one major problem with all the official and legal readers that I subscribe to is that their interface/user experience is almost as much garbage as the speed scans "translations" and they frequently rely on flash player which should be already banned from the internet under penalty of death and dismemberment.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah. The sja reader literally made me cancel my subscription for a while. Then I figured even if i don't use it, i can pay the small fee per month for it since I'm reading the stuff anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whoops I out the SJ subscription into the checkiut but forgot to actually buy it when it expired last year in june

• Locked thread