Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm blaming this on kissmanga bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I certainly remember the days of trawling IRC channels for chapter releases and can't fathom going back to something like that. Maybe if there was still a reasonable way to aggregate releases with a link to a given group's channel or site because for me at least it was the Follow feature on Bato.to that made life so much easier.

A lot of smaller groups and releases will simply go poof (hopefully temporarily) because they are not going to have a reasonable way to get those smaller/niche releases out to a wider audience in the way bato.to could.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jackard posted:

Am I actually gonna need https://www.mangaupdates.com/ for the first time in forever?

:sloppy:
Oh right, baka-updates. That's how I used to do it :doh: I guess that's better than nothing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Does anyone remember stoptazmo?

Jackard posted:

Except now it no longer links to their websites! Enjoy~

https://www.mangaupdates.com/showtopic.php?tid=44023
There are apparently scripts that you can install to not only add sites and IRC channels but a couple of other options to make filtering easier.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 8, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
$60

I mean I'd be down with CR picking up the slack but there are just too many series, especially smaller/niche ones, that no one in their right mind would ever want to pay money to license/translate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean in the context of this is it possible to widely share/distribute files on discord like IRC?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Batoto also boasted uncompressed/unaltered images, which at least at the time it was launched was relatively uncommon. It was also usually organized better for selecting specific groups and apparently very user-friendly for scanlators to go in and update their releases.

I mainly preferred them because kissmanga would inundate me with vicious popups even with adblock. Hell even clicking on empty space could induce popups. It was a site that required use of script-blocking software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"It is good practice to utilize ad/script blockers in general for today's Internet" and "Literally do not visit this website under any circumstances without ad/script blockers" are not mutually exclusive statements, nor does it forgive the prevalence of malicious unwanted content in the the latter because why should one ever assume it will always stay behind the blockers as coders of such content evolve their own craft.

• Locked thread