Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

yelling gently caress ED SHEERAN at my TV as loud as i can

Did people boo him? I read that he was booed when his name was announced but didn't see and haven't seen any of the footage from the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

He wasn't there to accept the award.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I know, I meant was his name booed when he was announced as the winner? Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, I know, I meant was his name booed when he was announced as the winner? Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

I didn't notice any boos when I watched it, but I also was saying "loving Ed Sheeran" incredulously so I can't be certain :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sheri posted:

I didn't notice any boos when I watched it, but I also was saying "loving Ed Sheeran" incredulously so I can't be certain :)

He's like an even less cool version of Mick Hucknall, isn't he?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The country performance of Tears in Heaven was so. loving. bad. All four of them should be blackballed, especially the guy on the right.

Why is U2 given an outdoor performance and Lorde is the only Album of the Year nominee who didn't get a slot? Is it because the Grammys are on CBS which is an old person's network and U2 is an old person's band?

I guess I shouldn't pick on U2, there were a lot more useless performances.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 30, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Josh Lyman posted:

The country performance of Tears in Heaven was so. loving. bad. All four of them should be blackballed, especially the guy on the right.

Why is U2 given an outdoor performance and Lorde is the only Album of the Year nominee who didn't get a slot? Is it because the Grammys are on CBS which is an old person's network and U2 is an old person's band?

I guess I shouldn't pick on U2, there were a lot more useless performances.

for reference: i'm taking an American history class and we're talking about immigrants right now and my very pro-Irish professor was super excited to show us that U2 performance today.

so it's aimed square at the Irish/American History Teacher demographic, which I understand has lots of crossover with CBS's viewership.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cannot loving believe Bruno Mars won Record of the Year and Album of the Year, what a loving joke.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

Cannot loving believe Bruno Mars won Record of the Year and Album of the Year, what a loving joke.

The Onion summed it up pretty well.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ironic note: unlike Kendrick, Gambino and Lorde, Bruno Mars has been arrested. (for cocaine possession, natch)

also, while this may be controversial, I totally get why 24k Gold/That's What I Like won all those awards. First off, that entire album is straight loving fire from front to back. I'd still probably say that drat. and Melodrama are better overall, but this was an incredibly good year for this award where even the worst album (4:44 sorry Jay) is very very good. Second, Bruno's also an incredible talent and live performer and showman in a way that none of the other four are, and in a way unmatched by 90% of pop musicians these days. The only people who I think could put on as good a show as Bruno are like, Gaga and Kanye, and those two have a more artistic vision. And finally it's a much more traditional album than the other four are. It definitely appeals to oldsters in a way that something like Melodrama or drat might not. (Awaken! My Love is also very retro but it's not dancing music, it's loving music). I mean y'all saw him do Finesse with Cardi, that song bangs and it was like, the fifth single.

Generally speaking, with Album of the Year there's one outlier in terms of quality, but the other four are a good selection, and taking that in mind, this quartet of albums stands up against any other year and holds its own.

Contenders include:

2017: 24k Gold, Melodrama, drat., Awaken! My Love (Outlier: 4:44)
2010: Red, I Am... Sasha Fierce, The Fame, The E.N.D. (Outlier: Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King)
2005: American Idiot, The Diary of Alicia Keys, Confessions, The College Dropout (Outlier: Genius Loves Company)
2004: Speakerboxx/The Love Below, Under Construction, Justified, Elephant (Outlier: Fallen)
1988: The Joshua Tree, Bad, Whitney, Sign O' The Times (Outlier: Trio)
1985: Purple Rain, She's So Unusual, Born in the USA, Private Dancer (Outlier: Can't Slow Down)
1984: Thriller, An Innocent Man, Syncronicity, Let's Dance (Outlier: Flashdance Soundtrack)

(the last few I feel bad for naming an outlier because, like, Can't Slow Down is a great album in its own right but those other four, gently caress)

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Ok, now tell me how That's What I Like won over Despacito.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Yer Burnt posted:

Ok, now tell me how That's What I Like won over Despacito.

have you listened to That's What I Like? it's amazing. Despacito is overrated IMO

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

I probably do prefer That's What I Like, but Despacito was inescapable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

2005: American Idiot, The Diary of Alicia Keys, Confessions, The College Dropout (Outlier: Genius Loves Company)

I feel kind of bad for saying so, but I don't think Genius Loves Company would have won if Ray Charles hadn't died the year before.

How about the time when the AOTY was talked up as a two-way race between The Marshall Mathers LP and Kid A and then they both lost to a Steely Dan album?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Is it weird that I actually liked Despacito?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

the bigest what the gently caress thing about the song is kidz bop did a cover of it and here is a sample of what is being said translated to english

quote:

I want to breathe in your neck slowly

Let me murmur things in your ear

So that you remember if you’re not with me

Slowly

I want to undress you in kisses slowly

Firmly in the walls of your labyrinth

And of your body, I want to create a manuscript

Up, up

Up, up, up

I want to see your hair dance

I want to be your rhythm

Want you to show my mouth

Your favorite places (Favorite, favorite baby)

Let me trespass your danger zones

Until I make you scream

And you forget your last name

(Daddy Yankee)

If I ask for a kiss come give it to me

I know that you’re thinking about it

I’ve been trying to do it for awhile

Mami this is giving and giving it to you

You know that with me your heart goes bom bom

You know that from me that babe is looking for a bom bom

Come try my mouth and see if you like its taste

I want to see how much love fits in you