Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

drat that's a short rule book. Looks like a good time though.

I don't think an aftermarket ECU will be worth the effort for intake and exhaust. 90s Hondas don't really need tuning until you throw a major power adder at them. Ymmv I know more about b/d series than the f/h family though.

If you do want to go for it anyway, hondata is the easiest tuning solution I've ever used even compared to stuff for other manufacturers and stand alones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Unsane posted:

one of the reasons I was thinking about an ecm swap was just that I can get a chipped ecm, plug and play harness, basemap and a chip burner for ~$350. just seemed like the cheapest way to get it done. I don't want to buy some high dollar standalone ecu that will double the current cost of this project. Hoping for some advice on that though. I'm not worried about tuning for more power, I'm just don't want to cripple what I have with my modifications. Researching this is kinda tough though, these cars and the accords are long past their prime. Most of the online discussion I can find is just how to h22 swap them.

Edit: forgot to add that I don't want to jump into the ECM swap thing until later. Its more of a want then a need at this point. I'm more concerned on just getting what I have now running well, and on the track to start with.

Hondata would be about double that. $450 for the hardware they supply, about $100 for compatible ECU and about $100 for soldering. You can get the ECU cheaper if you know a good junkyard. For install just send it to hondata, they do an excellent job on the soldering. You'll need a jumper harness to adapt obd2 to obd1. Stock sensors and distributor should work. Whole thing converts a stock obd1 ECU to a standalone with real time programming and data logging via USB on the side of the case.

I've used the cheaper options before but it's been 6 or 7 years since I have. They used to be workable but fiddily. How they are today I have no idea. Hondata I have used recently and it's still rock solid. Crome and uberdata were the big "free" Honda tuning solutions back when I knew what was going on. Ymmv.

http://www.moates.net is an excellent source for chips, sockets, burners etc.

I only post all this ECU stuff because it's the one place I might have some useful info to share.

• Locked thread