Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Are you sure the vtec solenoid is bad? The screen sometimes gets gunked up if POs run the oil too long, which will keep VTEC from engaging.

There's nothing wrong with the F23A1, it's just not that popular because people dump it for the H22 (which has more of an aftermarket). The VTEC also kicks in at a lower RPM on the F23A1 (as low as 2800 RPM). It's got a bit more usable low end power than an H22, IMO, and the drat things run forever.

As for the immobilizer, open up your ECU and take a look. Compare it to the photos in this PDF. Then go here to order the proper bypass. Why did you want to bypass the immobilizer anyway?

You probably already know it's an interference engine with a timing belt; I don't know if you'll want to put the money into a timing belt, but it'd be a good idea if you don't know when it was last changed.

Rules seem to allow an aftermarket intake, but the stock intake is pretty well tuned from the factory on these (and a stock style filter will filter a lot more dirt than most cone filters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The F23A1 is a pretty sturdy little engine in the Accord, I didn't realize it ran this late into the Acura product.

The CL is just an Accord EX-L coupe with some lipstick.

They used the F23 until the end of the 2002 model year on both the Accord and CL.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

honda whisperer posted:

I don't think an aftermarket ECU will be worth the effort for intake and exhaust. 90s Hondas don't really need tuning until you throw a major power adder at them. Ymmv I know more about b/d series than the f/h family though.

Intake and exhaust don't do much good at all on the F23A1 without some other work (cam, tune, etc); it's surprisingly well tuned from the factory.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

And after seeing that pic, suddenly I'm REALLY loving glad I got rid of my Accord.

I know heater cores are a massive PITA in general, but drat.

• Locked thread