Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Poil posted:

It's fairly easy to transfer power in 4, especially since the electricity is global on the island so your windturbines don't actually need to be connected if you have one near the city with substations.

In 5 you just want geothermal and maybe tidal generators on full budget anyway in the modern age. Also I'm pretty sure teamsters are bugged somehow because after a certain point it doesn't matter how many you build and that they are on full budget all the farms and industries just get clogged by output.

Yeah, in 5 I just end up using a mod that gives each production building its own teamster that will ferry the output to where it needs to go. Otherwise nothing gets done at all.

It's still not nearly as infuriating as in 4 where dockworkers will diligently sit at the docks for months right up until the export freighter docks, whereupon they will immediately gently caress off to go get healthcare/drink/worship/whatever and not return until after the freighter has left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't forget in T4 with all the traffic as your population gets higher and your teamsters get stuck in traffic then their cars despawn and they have to haul that coffee halfway across the island to a dock, and possibly starves to death on the way :shepface:

There is, of course, something in Modern Times that fixes that....

E: I've tried to handle the "dock workers run off to handle needs" problem by building a hub around the dock, usually its my slum. I place housing there, churches, marketplace, entertainment and a clinic... then someone on the other half of the island decides they want to take up all the space at the dock's clinic so now the dockworker has to go to the other side of the island to see a doctor :shepicide:

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 13, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Into the Spotlight, Part 2

Hey that sounds like a great idea, you know I heard someone with zero political affiliation managed to become president because a bunch of foreigners bought ads for him! Crap, did it again.

I finally got an economic minister and enact the building permit. Increases the costs of buildings but a portion of that increased cost goes into our swiss bank account. It'll help in getting the swiss money for more followers. It does decrease the respect of the intellectuals but bah I say.

Meet our new building, now that we got some power going. The Skyscraper Hotel is under tourism for 16k and 30mw of power. It can hold a bunch more tourists in one spot, sadly we can only build one of these.

Is that 140 characters or less?

And meet the tv station! Found under education and media for 12k and 15mw of power. It has several work modes:

Propoganda TV has reruns of Presidente talking about himself, increasing respect.

BBC plays Doctor Who reruns, making Tropicans feel like they have some freedoms of speech cause they can drone on and on about who the best actor that played the doctor was

Learning with Larry doubles the skill gain of nearby residents. This is the best option.

Yanqui Sitcoms plays I Love Lucy which generates income based on every 21 or older Tropican living in the area.

Lucha Libre plays Presidente's wrestling videos which generates income based on every 21 year old male Tropican living in the area.

Russian Soap Operas generates income based on every 21 year old female Tropican living in the area. Sorry I don't know much about Russian soap operas to make a joke.

Now you can build up to 5 tv stations... but only 1 station can work on 1 work mode. So no throwing down 5 stations playing Learning with Larry all over the island. Also note that even though there is a work mode that increases liberty, the station itself already generates some liberty. One final thing: In house heavy areas the tv stations can actually generate some crazy income if you got enough people living there and skilled enough journalists.

Oh Penultimo, sounds like work place harassment to me! But you do got a point, not only will I get follows but more money in my swiss bank account!

Oh hey, thats nice. We can lift the 20% commodity reduction for 20k. I eventually do this but... I don't really know why, I'm not exporting a lot :frog:

Now environment happiness, a big thing for it is pollution. Beauty is also a thing but pollution really effects it a lot, and takes some time to go away. Placing a garbage dump shows an overlay of the most polluted areas. Unsurprisingly our tenements generate a lot of pollution.

A garbage dump lowers pollution, however it also concentrates pollution on it. So its good to place it somewhat away from your city. It has an upgrade to reduce the pollution it generates and one that increases its range. That second one needs power and its not letting me buy it, whats with tha-

See this? Right here? This is why I heavily prefer wind power. I always have power plants that screw me over when the workers decide they're not gonna work there anymore :argh:

Penultimo: Tropico is going green! A new program started by El Presidente will lower pollution by stopping power to random buildings!

Sunny Flowers: Green is always better. It's great that- *radio shuts off*

OK so I built a wind turbine to get our power back. OK, what is the job situation like?

... Oh. Thats a lot of open spots. Only one way to fix this!

Immigration offices let us control our population. It has 5 work modes:

Open Doors greatly increases immigration.

Skilled Workers increases how many of our immigrants will already have an education.

Tropico First turns off immigration.

Love it or Leave it encourages people who are unhappy to leave the island.

No Emigration disallows people to leave the island.

Meet El Diablo, leader of the Nationalists. Xenophobic as all get out, the Nationalists do not like open immigration policy. They don't like *anything* that has to do with foreigners in Tropico. They get mad at foreign aid camps, they don't want increased immigration, they don't want us allied with anyone.

What they DO want is for us to have a higher minimum wage than the Caribbean average which pfffftttt ahahahahahaha

Do you forget who is known in the circled square, the light against the criminal jobbers that dare stalk Tropico?!

We had like 70 or something which is kinda funny cause we still don't have a police station.

Doo doo, still trying to increase the environment. This will get our power plant to be less polluting.

Meet the best entertainment building in the game. Found under Entertainment for 7k, and needing 8mw of power, this building provides 70 base quality and has a tourist spending of 40. This baby has the same quality of a sports stadium with a significantly smaller footprint. Just note that they generate crime, so keep a police station nearby. Tropicans don't seem to care if they visit the same place over and over again, the only reason to build other things is to just have some variety. But it is possible to just have a bunch of these all over the place and get a really high entertainment score.

Oh god our exports! Oh wait, we aren't exporting anything! Wait is that even a freighter?

Don't you think you're tempting fate with that name Lopez? I mean the following behind an ice-carrying vessel, of course.

Anyways we'll want to get this fixed asap, because...

Yep, all of our beaches are ugly. Even though this beach is inland and nowhere near the oil spill. There goes our service rating for all our wealthy tourists :(

I find your timing and humor to be off putting, good sir. But hey, I'm always up for a bet with our BFF Santana!

The Luxury Liner is under Luxury Attractions for a whopping 20 grand. Whats nice though is that they're instantly built, and can service 20 tourists at once. This is one of the highest earning tourist buildings, having a whopping 80 for its spending limit. Also that line, I know its small in this screenshot but the timing of it was pretty great.

Sunny Flowers: Dear listeners, a horribly tragedy has befallen us!

Penultimo: Yes, we are losing oil by the minute!

Sunny Flowers: How can you be so insensitive, Penultimo? Think about the dead fish, the dirty beaches, the irreparable damage to our ecosystem - caused by the oil spill.

Penultimo: Don't worry Sunny. Our top experts have already devised a plan to contain the disaster using golf balls. And now, some music...

Some googling has shown me that golf balls are in fact used in oil leaks, though its for pipe oil leaks. Don't think its used in oil spills that are already in the ocean, they're used to plug up the pipes to keep them from spouting out more oil. Interesting!

Also since we are paying the $300 a month in cleaning the spill we get both another boat sailing through the oil and a helicopter dropping some sort of solution over the oil. I believe if we just did the $100 option its just the helicopter. And ignoring it... lets just say that oil spill will be HUGE.

Another option is to pay some money to instantly take care of it but look at how much money is needed eff that. It does go down over time but good lord. I believe it starts as high as 70k.

... Why are you even protesting? Also it gets worse, folks. Anyways I sign it, you pay 500 bucks upfront and a fee depending on the number of soldiers and officers and they give less of a penalty to liberty. Learning to smack the populace with phone books was a great idea.

You know what Reverend? I appreciate your progressive views of worshiping into a mug of booze. Also I dig your Led Zeppelin reference.

Enjoy! A cathedral is the top tier religious worship building, and eventually your religious faction will want one. Honestly, I would suggest building more cathedrals because they can house more Tropicans and give that sweet service quality that keeps them from coming back. Under Welfare and Economy, these babies cost a whopping 20 THOUSAND pesos. Also they require college graduates to staff. Lot of investment, but you'll start to feel the pressure get relieved from your religious demands with its significantly higher service quality (60 vs 90). Though you'll still need like 1 for every 15 citizens :v:

Oh hey we already got 3 hotels and I'm sure we got all the attractions!

I didn't, entertainment buildings don't count :smith:

Meet our souvenir shop! Under Attractions for 1,250, they sell knickknacks to tourists. Low on the spending scale though, with $20 as the tourist spending. Has 2 work modes, either it sells t shirts which attracts slobs and spring breakers, or arts n crafts that attract eco and wealthy tourists with a 20% bonus to service quality. Not a great attraction but eh, it was cheap and quick.

This highlights a kinda big issue with tourism: A bunch of attractions can be a detriment. A tourist will visit ~4 buildings in their visit, meaning if they go to a cheaper place you just lost money. Especially frustrating if they decide to hit up a bar that is meant for your uneducated citizens. So you would want a small amount of large paying buildings and hope the tourists hit those up, and you'd want them all clustered up near their hotels so they'll go from place to place and maximize how many they visit. Tourism... Isn't that hot in T4.

Oh god, ok I think our migration office got us some more people oh god do we have enough jobs or housing for all these people :derp:

:raise: What is going on with our job situation. How do we have that many open job positions but still have some unemployed people?

Oh god what happened to all our teachers? Did Lopez do this? Did he try to make Tropico a more capitalist society by cutting our school spending?! WE CAN'T WORK THE FACTORIES IF WE DON'T HAVE THE SMARTS, LOPEZ!

Answer yourself Lopez! Wait, I can become MORE popular? And it puts more money in my pocket?! Wait, I COULD JUST PRINT MONEY THIS WHOLE TIME?!

Wait, it does what? Lopez, why?! You didn't warn me, everything is going to cost more to build!

:saddowns: you're a jackass Lopez.

Green is in all right, green is in the bank cause I printed a bunch of it with no backing. Also earth warrior sounds like a cool super hero name, imagine a super hero that kicked your rear end for polluting that doesn't require a bunch of teenagers with rings.

Hey you're right Penultimo! I do have friends! Good friends who don't make me devalue my own country's money :mad:

Well hey, he is most definitely not a crook, he is a sure shoe in for our island! But wait, he wants a "new" luxury hotel. I know how these work, if it says new it wont count preexisting ones. And I think I ordered one built a while ago...

Oh god, talk about cutting it close. If I took another second to accept this quest I would of had to build another one!

Meet the luxury hotel, under Tourism for 6k, with a 4k blueprint cost. Needs 15mw of power to run. It houses 4 more tourists then a regular hotel, however it doesn't have a built in garage so make sure you compensate for that. Well Mr. Richards, enjoy our classiest of shows! And remember, look don't touch!

Of course we'll want our BFF Santana to visit! We build him a rollercoaster, under Luxury Attractions. It costs 11k and requires 4mw of power to run. It has 2 settings: A normal mode for slobs and children, and an extreme speed mode that increases quality by 10 but only spring breakers will use it. It has a spending limit of 35.

Hrm... Is it wise to bring a rebel leader onto our island? But... but.. the followers... I must... get famous... Twit is all I have...

Uh oh, Richards... You didn't "touch" did you? There are some very strict rules about th- Wait, how much can I blackmail him for? Hmmmmm....

You know whats better then having a bunch of money to show off to some twits? Getting said money through blackmail!

Meet the bunker building, it comes with the Junta DLC. Under Government for 6k it can employ 6 soldiers. The best part: We can build and staff it without needing to build an armory or army base to get generals then have at least 1 general to build and staff a guard station. Though the militarist will still get angry that we don't have proper guard stations and generals.

Hey wait a minute, its the 60s! Terrorism didn't exist yet! But there is a way to use this to our advantage: We'll just have someone scream big brother is after him and record the resulting reaction!

Hey, why didn't Richard or Moreno twit about us :saddowns: See, this is why Santana is a true friend of Presidente.

Oh no, Santana spilt his milkshake on himself! How embarrassing... and kinda funny. I'm so glad we got this on tape.

Oh, he doesn't want us to show it. Hm... no, I have an idea! An assassin tried to kill Santana with a deviously placed milkshake on the rollercoaster! Let the twits flow!

At this point we are just short of getting 1 million twits. We could keep going and wait to get things done, or just spend 50k to send fake ham to everyone. If we were to wait a bit longer Lopez starts to suggest we arrest or kill random civilians to generate more twits. Lopez is quickly becoming a kinda terrible person. We'll go ahead and mail ham as we wont need the money once we win!

Final look at our main city.

Our dock area with our "industry", such as it is :v: Had to build some bunkers down there cause our fishermen and dock workers kept building shacks there instead of living in the amazing tenement we had available.

And the final look at our tourist trap. Final economic numbers from this: 62k a year from tourism. Next map is all about the industry, and I'll show you the numbers there to show how industry blows tourism out of the water. Tourism isn't useless per se, but it will start to have such diminishing returns that it can't keep up with an expanding island. Oh and the kicker: There is actually a cap on tourists that you can have on your island. I mean sure, its extra people on the map that the game has to account for, render, etc. but hoo boy doesn't that sound like a downside when you can just throw your citizens into a factory. Or a farm.

So with that said, I'll pretty much be ignoring tourism unless a map has objectives based around tourist buildings. And even then they're going to pretty much be small time, just a supplementary thing.

Victory! Vic..tory? No... No I need more twits, the followers, they empower me....

Sunny Flowers: ... And with that El Presidente has been named the most popular person of our time! Next up, spo-

El Presidente: gently caress her right in the pussy!

Sunny Flowers: :stare:

Penultimo: :stare:

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I should have mentioned when I was talking about supply line issues with certain types of power plants I was talking about just 4, 5... has it's own issues.

That said, I'm surprised none of those offered profiles had Booze Baron on them. I mean, if you're going to show how industry blows tourism out of the water, you might as well hit it so hard that it boils the seas and glasses the earth.

(Not that going in hard on rum doesn't have it's own downsides, I'll admit.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'll be sure to show off rum profits in the next mission, then you can look in amazement and think wait, it can be doubled?! :unsmigghh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Option B has won and it looks like we are going to be benevolent! Currently playing through now.

WHY WONT ANYONE WORK AT THE FACTORIES :argh:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That's what you get for being benevolent :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Leal posted:

Option B has won and it looks like we are going to be benevolent! Currently playing through now.

WHY WONT ANYONE WORK AT THE FACTORIES :argh:
Got to up your high school game man.

I love the hell out of 4, I've played well over 100 hours, beat every mission, and got all the Steam cheevos. I'd say its better than 3 too because 4's got a bunch of QoL improvements and the writing is a lot better, all the cast adds to the game's charm.

5 is crap though, it's practically a lovely RTS because you can't manage stuff like wages anymore so revolts are going to happen no matter what.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 15, 2018

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Sometimes you have to tap factory wages up a bit to compensate for the usually awful job quality, particularly for the sorts that don't have add-ons to improve it.

And yeah, 5 was a hot mess. They split happiness and whatnot up to try to get rid of the Too Hard To Lose stigma and only succeeded in making things irritating.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

5 is crap though, it's practically a lovely RTS because you can't mange stuff like wages anymore so revolts are going to happen.
Rebels would be less annoying if the army system was better. Every single rebel turns into an entire rebel squad while you have to get 8 soldiers to form one. They move slowly across the map and naturally buildings go down very quickly so you have to spread out your military but you can't because they'll end up casually strolling into multiple rebel groups at once and die one by one. Oh, and of course your troops will only fire on enemy squads near a targeted structure while the enemy gets to shoot at yours as they run walk past.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Accordion Man posted:

Got to up your high school game man.

I love the hell out of 4, I've played well over 100 hours, beat every mission, and got all the Steam cheevos. I'd say its better than 3 too because 4's got a bunch of QoL improvements and the writing is a lot better, all the cast adds to the game's charm.

5 is crap though, it's practically a lovely RTS because you can't manage stuff like wages anymore so revolts are going to happen no matter what.

I found the budgetary system to be an overall improvement, just executed poorly. What they should have done is embrace the zoning systems that pretty much every other city builder has done in order to reduce un-necessary micromanagement and put the focus of the game on politics. Not to mention the cast is noticeably smaller and tries to pull off too much stuff with too few people

Triple A fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 15, 2018

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Apparently Tropico 6 is due out this year, I didn't even know it was in development till about two minutes ago. Looks like you get to build bridges between the islands and can buy the Statue of Liberty. Hope they made the rest of it more like four than five.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
IMPORTant Business

Last mission was all about learning how to use Tourism to make money, this mission is all about industry :getin: Remember, last mission we ended the game earning about 62k from tourism, keep that in mind...

El Presidente has unfortunately fallen in with a bad crowd in the Twitsphere, he has had a change in how he talks to women. Namely bad euphemisms, pointing to Lil' Presidente and ringing a bell. While some women seem to fall for it, those with intelligence will think otherwise. On the upside he does seem to get better prices in selling goods, and factory workers will work faster. Possibly to get away from Presidente trying to give pick up advice!

Also I apologize but there is no greasy hair option to finish his look of your average PUA.

Secret Agent gives, obviously, a +100% experience for secret agents on top of making them more effective. However since the earlier missions are still really easy we wont be using them all that much. We also get a +10% respect with the women folk.

Capitalist Rebellion gives us +25 relations with the US, +10 with the capitalists and a +10% factory worker production bonus. Not a bad rise to power in the slightest.

Entrepreneurial gives a straight +2% bonus to export prices. Each star gives an additional 2% to export prices.

Populist gives a +10 respect with the Nationalist faction and +2 with Communists. It also lets you get away with not fulfilling an election promise. Each rank gives a further increase to Communist respect.

Womanizer gives a -10 respect with the religious faction and smart women, and yes it stacks to a -20 with religious smart women. On the upside we +10 respect with the least smart women, which wont help us at all this mission since our workforce is going to be mostly educated :v: Each rank gives additional respect with less intelligent women.

Welcome to Yermo Encarnado, we start with the usual tenement, garages, far- wait what?

Well our docks have 2 fisherman's wharves next to them. But whats with those buildings back at the main city?

Meet the ranch, under Food and Resources for 750 bucks. The overlay for ranches shows ideal grazing grounds, but note that pastures do eventually lower in quality and production can stop all together. It has 3 work modes:

Cattle sell for the most, and ranches can be upgraded with a smoke house to produce even more expensive smoked beef. This is also a food source

Goats make goat cheese which is another food source

Llamas grow llama wool for selling.

Now supposedly the different animals have an easier/harder time with pastures, IE goats are supposed to be more durable then cows. But really I hardly ever notice a difference in the overlay. To be honest I hardly use ranches, I might build one or two beef ones just to get some variety in and for exports.The Middle East likes to asks for beef, China typically wants wool. But since pastures tend to degrade far, far faster then farms I rarely use them.

Weird that we have ranches and not farms, we can build them just fine!

This is a nice boost, starts us off with 40k which I use to build up a ministry and get a foreign affairs minister, and get a cannery up and going. May as well set down some farms to grow my own cannery stuff...

Oh, there we go :haw: Mines and farms are supposed to be disabled for this mission to force you to use imports. Funny though, there is a DLC building in here that I could use to bypass that, can you spot it ?:ssh:

Regardless, we wouldn't even be able to use a mine if we could build one, this map literally doesn't have any ore deposits! No salt deposits either. I have something to admit: This was a map I tried to build tourism on in my first playthrough and its where I really felt that biting sting that tourism really isn't that worth it. You used to be cool in T1 tourism, what happened...?

They really do front load the cash on you with these missions, we now got 70k doing nothing (20k starting funds, another 20k from Preston and this 30k payout). I build one and set it to lower the import prices.

And meet our cannery, under Industry for 13k. They take pineapples, coffee and fish as resources and turn them into more expensive canned versions. If you look in window on the top right, near the bottom of it there "input storage" and "output storage". Input is the number of raw resources and output is the finished goods, you'll want to keep a close eye on these numbers to determine if you should build extra factories. Especially for canneries, since they have 3 resources that they can use they can fill up really fast. Luckily canneries are pretty small so you can fit more in a tight space. I also purchase the packing house upgrade for it (3k) which increases production by 25%. And we'll need it.

All factories have 2 work modes, Sweat Shop and Easy-Does-It. Sweat shop is the default mode, easy-does-it makes them work 25% less but increases the job quality by 10. I never do the latter because Tropicans already slack off enough as it is :T

And good thing we got it up, Preston's educated workers showed up! Educated people get more ornery then the uneducated when they can't find jobs. At least they did my first few playthroughs where they quickly turned into rebels or emigrated and my construction workers were dicking around.

Nice, cheaper imports all around. Honestly I should of put the customs office to the increased export price since we get a permanent 30% reduction to imports for this mission.

We could just click the "allow imports" button for the cannery, but it'll import all 3 of fish, pineapples and coffee. Instead I'm going to the almanac, go to economy then click the list of agriculture products. Then click on "coffee" which brings this up. We import coffee from the Middle East, so make sure you play nice with them!

Now that we set up imports we should take a look at the docks. On the bottom we can change how much money a dock will spend to buy imports, make sure you have the money in your bank! As said, we can get at most 500 products from each freighter. What is nice, and honestly kinda OP, is the fact that teamsters don't need to deliver imported goods to its destination! Yeah, when the freighter arrives you give it your money and the resources magically appears in the building its meant for!

Our first export haul after getting our coffee, holy poo poo.That is already half of what we were making at the end of our tourism last map. Provided some of that cash is also canned fish, but as you can see it was 500 coffee resources that were sent out, that means all 500 units of coffee were canned and sold and we only paid ~6.4k for them. Industry is bonkers crazy

Sunny Flowers: Violence broke out in Tropico as the army tried to remove Reverend Esteban from the pub and get him to start the first service in the new church. Several soldiers are missing - presumed drunk. The Reverend had this to say:

Reverend Esteban: Get me another one, and make it a big one.

:allears:

We'll need to get some education going to ensure our citizens will get educated and grab those sweet industry jobs. And all the usual high school jobs....

Again, front loading the cash. 20k to build a dock? Docks are under Infrastructure for 4k and oddly require a 2k blueprint. As Penultimo suggests, building a dock will let us import more stuff. Sure each freighter still carries 500 resources, but if 2 of them dock at the same time we get a thousand! I toss it next to the other.

Whats neat is that the animals are rendered. There are also wild animals that get rendered and wander around too, I should take a look at them sometime. Grow big and strong and become a glorious burger for me and the master...

Would MGSV been better if the Miller's Burgers stuff was actual cutscenes? Hell, the whole game could of used more cutscenes after the start... Anyways, here is how the main town is coming along. Slums are being set up in the top left, middle class housing being set up near the ministry.

Overview of our industry area. Right next to the docks so the teamsters wont have to travel far to drop stuff off. I built a cement factory at some point to get jobs for the rest of Preston's migrants. But uh... Whats with the staffing here? Half staff, and no they aren't at the cement factory.

Wait what?!

I'm not impressed either, why isn't anyone working at the factories? The school is empty, no one is getting an education! YOU GUYS GET PAID TO GET AN EDUCATION!

40 people, in one influx? Thats quite a lot, I'd need to get on the ball with housing... and jobs. Also I dunno if El Diablo would mind.. then again the guy is probably flipping out that we are outsourcing our resources. Wait, 20k to get extra labor?!

Oh god, it just added the 40 to the usual amount.

Nooo, all these ugly rear end shacks! Why are you living in shacks, go to school you can afford to live in a bunkhouse at least! Wait, did Preston say he was sending us unintelligent people? This means they wont actually go to school, will they?

:supaburn:

Someone take this screenshot and send it to a congressman and report back their reactions to the poor people flooding into the country.

S-sasha! On the first date?! This is amazing, sometimes foreign powers will ask you to export something to them and they'll provide the blueprints for the factory that produces it. She just saved us 5k with this, and hey some extra Communist respect is nice. Though huh, I'm a bit confused that it doesn't give USSR respect. Rum is the most broken thing in game and I look forward to this great boon that we've been granted.

A lot has happened in a short amount of time, I'm FINALLY getting around to upgrading our cannery to produce freeze dried coffee. How is this any different then regular canned coffee? Its FROZEN, thats how! Canned coffee prices may of sunk, but freeze dried coffee is untouched. This was something I wanted to do in mission 2, iron ore prices went down but weapon prices stayed the same.

Thankfully this map has a height that allows us to get a full 40 out of wind turbine. And with our crazy industry profits I have no issue throwing these down and quick building them all.

Penultimo: El Presidente built a new Wind Turbine. This should make green freaks like you happy, right?

Sunny Flowers: You mean the big, ugly thing built on the only region where Tropican turtles mate, and which killed one of the last coconut skulled eagles?

Penultimo: Yeah...

Sunny Flowers: I just love it.

Sunny may come across as incredibly whiny and annoying, but turning the radio on and she really won me over with this bit.

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH SASHA

:circlefap:

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the most broken building in the game. Well until Modern Times. Anyways, this baby takes in sugar and distills pure Tropican nectar in a bottle. With a 5k blueprint and a 15k placement this baby pays for itself after a single freighter, and that's WITHOUT booze baron. We can purchase a flavoring facility for 15k that'll produce spiced rum that sells for more, and its still possible to pay for itself on a single shipment after throwing 35k to make your first flavored rum building. The other upgrade is a mulching machine that'll increase production by 20% for 10k and 15mw of power.

Booze Baron will take the profits and DOUBLES it. Booze Baron is how you do easy mode in this game, I absolutely DESTROYED the last mission by abusing copious amounts of rum.

GIVE THEM BOOZE, GIVE THEM ALL THE BOOZE! Also it is just me or is it weird that Penultimo is saying this and not Preston? Those aren't your employees Penultimo, they're Preston's.

This is what the vote was for, and we voted to be benevolent. I admit my first time I just went despot cause I didn't really know what I was doing at first, looked at the price of a cosmic pin and went gently caress THAT. If we went evil there are some colonial ruins nearby that we can turn into a dungeon. I'll show that off another time, for now though...

Meet the Cosmic Pin, under Entertainment for 25k and 5mw of power. It has 3 work modes:

Standard Service is the default

All-You-Can-Eat: doubles the upkeep but attracts more slob tourists to the island and doubles their ratings.

All-You-Can-Drink doubles upkeep but attracts more spring breakers and doubles their ratings.

Since tourism came up, this building has a tourism spending of 50. Again, this can push spring breakers to being way more profitable. Maybe I'll show that off one day :v:

The building has a base quality of 80 and is raised when you place it on higher elevation.

Meet Sheik Sallim, leader of the Middle East. He is a loving man with an innumerable amount of wives that he cares deeply for. 5k is pocket change for us, and unlike other factions who asks us for money we get an added bonus: The gratitude of his many wives, and doesn't that just leave you with a fuzzy feeling knowing he can purchase a birthday present for all of them?

Maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to receive a camel :ssh:

Oh hey, power. We already had 2 wind turbines up, I'll just toss another 2 up to finish this one. Easy cash.

Sadly for one of these 2 three construction workers assigned themselves to it and are slowly running towards it. Even though it'll be auto built before they arrive they'll still run to it before finally returning home, slowly walking the entire way :(

Oh god, luxury goods. And malls. Tropicans have a hidden want for luxury goods, if you read their thoughts they'll think something like "I can't find anything nice in this island". Its not needed but they do get happier to get it. We cannot make luxury goods however, we can only import them from China. I'll put that on the backburner for now....

Again, we are being benevolent so...

Hahaha, how adorable Penultimo. The homeless are going to remain homeless until they GO TO loving SCHOOL! The doctors will be living in the mansions. If we were a despot arresting 5 people would drop respect.

Ignore any and all inconsistencies in this screenshot. I may of had to come back later to get this screenshot. Meet the Mansion, under Housing. Requires 4mw of power and a 3k blueprint, these cost 4k a pop to place. They house 2 families and provide a whopping 95 housing quality. I set this at 7 pesos per month, and you better hope 2 families move in cause they got an upkeep of 12. Usually though I don't build these, I have something better in mind for the upper echelon housing.

Maybe if we sweet stalk Sasha some more she'll give us back the agent, Preston? No? Alright, getting our people smarter would be nice. Maybe it'll get them smart enough to go to the high school :argh:

Of course the blimp is a tourist building so we'll need to place a dock, then build a hotel THEN we can place this. I just quick build a bungalow somewhere then demolish it.

Well hey we can finally take a look at the weapons factory that I wanted to look at in mission 2.

I mean sure, people will die but... look at the profits! And its not like we're selling weapons to an extremist group who'll destabilize the world or something!

Well, China is our main importer of canned goods. Also we import sugar from China for our rum factories, so maybe it'll be best to lower the prices......

....But joke is on him, we don't even EXPORT canned pineapple :cheeky:

Lot of stuff happened, but finally we got our blimp ride going. I fire 2 of the 3 employees just to keep it running cause the blimp actually has a useful workmode on it. Blimps cost 4k and pretty much only appeals to slobs, it has a tourist spending of 30. It has 3 work modes:

Not Bad Year has some tire company advertise on the blimp and earns us extra cash.

Electric Eye makes everyone feel like Presidente is watching them, people under the view of the blimp cannot protest.

Presidente Presence is bar none the best option, as any buildings near the blimp will act as if El Presidente has visited it! In the middle of our city like this all our hospitals, entertainment buildings, schools, ranches, any blueprints I place down, will all act like Presidente was there! This arguably makes it a solid thing to build even if you aren't using tourism!

You can see the sun over the cosmic pin, the clinic, the school, the bar and as it moves around it'll affect more! It actually has quite a generous radius. Who is even riding on this, is it the sole guy who got the easiest job on the island?

Gotta get that money, gotta buy Sasha a new necklace. Wait, do commies even like materials goods? I mean they have to, thats why it failed right :v:

Overview of the island, I removed our starter ranches and moved them towards the slums. High class living is on the way down towards the industry, which is funny cause you'd think rich people wouldn't want to huff industrial fumes.

Showing off 2 blueprints getting the construction boost at the same time. This blimp is amazing!

New building time, the prison. Under Government and running 3k, these house your criminals. Namely, it allows use of the arrest edict. Note that even though policemen work at a prison, it doesn't actually reduce the crime in the area (despite showing an overlay when placing it).

Now I said before that criminals are an actual thing in T4, previously there wasn't much of a reason to use the arrest action. Now citizens, typically unemployed, will take "jobs" being criminals. They raise crime but do generate an income themselves. I mean, they pay rent and everything, its a good way to turn unemployed people into paying citizens :haw:

When you click on a citizen there are 5 actions you can use against them, I'll explain it here, starting left to right:

Arrest costs 1k and will send an officer to escort the person to a jailhouse or dungeon. For criminals they will rehabilitate in the prison and at the end of their 5 year sentence they'll become normal citizens. The system DOES work! However arresting citizens, even justified with criminals, will drop the respect of their family members.

Bribe costs 1k and will send a banker to the person to give them some fiscal respect. It increases the respect of the person and their family members. This can be useful for a mom/dad with a bunch of children, or faction leaders since the faction leader's opinion on you has a slight effect on the faction member's opinions.

Brand as a heretic costs 500 and sends a clergyman (cathedral priests) to brand the person has a heretic. Heretics are basically blacklisted, unable to start protests or join them, lead a faction or run against you in an election.

Eliminate costs 500 and sends the nearest soldier or general over to murder the person. This not only greatly reduces the respect of the target's family, but any bystanders. If you're going to do this, do it when the target is away from population centers. Nothing as great as eliminating a criminal in the middle of mass and have 6 people instantly become rebels.

Arranging an "accident" costs 3k and sends a secret agent to the target's house to quietly kill them. Costs more money then the usual methods but it gets rid of a troublesome citizen with no respect loss. Really is the best way to get rid of someone, and hell I eventually start using this against criminals :v:

Go go officer, and remember! If he reaches for his waistband its a justified killing! Oh there I go dating the LP again

Meet the weapon factory. Under Industry for 15k, after a 6k blueprint, they use iron to produce weapons. Sadly the US and USSR don't like the fact someone other then them is filling the world with cheap weapons and we lose relations with both factions for having a factory up and running. Its got 3 upgrades:

Pressurized Storage Tanks will allow our workers to stop huffing the various noxious fumes and raises job quality by 15%. Costs 5k.

Restricted Access puts guard boxes at the gates to stop pesky foreign journalists from seeing what we're doing and reduces the relations penalty to the US/USSR by half. Costs 7k

Heavy Machinery boosts production by 20%, costing 10k and requiring 10mw of power.

It also has 3 work modes that change what is produced:

Assault Rifles is the usual mode that gives a -5 relations to both US and USSR.

Handguns doesn't piss off the foreigners because these are just used for self defense. As a trade off production is lowered by 10% since they're harder to make. Is this actually true? I never made a gun before

Landmines are easier to make and thus gives a 10% bonus to production. However, its a lot harder to get rid of landmines then it is getting rid of assault rifles so our relationship drops by 10%. Note, percent, not a flat -10. Though that DOES mean at worst we'll low 10 points if we had 100, if I'm thinking of it right. Now if I'm right, with the restricted access upgrade this means that we'll only lose 5% relations, meaning at worst, at 100 points, we'll only lose 5 relation, the same as assault rifles without the restricted access upgrade. Right?

Anyway take a look out our glorious industry. One cannery, weapon factory, cement factory and rum distillery. I placed a second teamster office down there so they wont have to travel far to get to the factories.

Oh right, Presidente was a secret agent! We'll need a minister of interior to use this edict.

Possible buildings to turn into secret police HQs will turn green. We'll need to click on the building to turn it into an HQ.

I changed the nearby cabaret into the secret police HQ. It changes the building description to this, but the building stays the same. It also changes the workers to require a college education, so while the workers for this station will still look like cabaret dancers they'll be college graduates instead of uneducated. Also the building ceases its normal functions, sorry, no undercover agents giving strip teases!

Oooommmmggg look at this dirty, filthy money. 2 freighters taking our exports out at the same time. Look at this! This is double what we made in a year of tourism last map, in one shipment!

Sometimes you get events from your ministers, they do something other then enable edicts! I think it may be related to your minister's stats, IE courage, intelligence and leadership if its good or bad. Thankfully our minister of foreign affairs has good stats and got us this good eve-

:confused: No joke, these literally happened back to back on me. A single in game month passed. Welp thanks for the double foreign aid, get your rear end outta here! You COULD keep them but... at this point I already got both US and USSR development aid, no point in having a foreign affairs minister anymore :frog:

I'd just like to point out its been like 15 years since I had this thing built and its barely hitting 21% in reducing import prices. This is what I mean about certain things that build up to a certain effect taking way too long to reach its potential (like academy of science and their blueprint reductions)

Oh hey I forgot all about this. Meet the shopping mall, your biggest cash guzzler. Shopping malls cost 13k and require 20mw of power to run. They sell luxury goods, which is something you have to import from China. These have a service quality of 70 and a tourism spending of 35. It has 3 work modes:

Normal Store is the default

People's Store tells Yankee tourists to take a hike. How much I wish I could use this on other buildings to keep tourists from going to the wrong buildings....

Outlet Store only stocks products for women, meaning only women will shop there. Service quality is increased by 20 and profits are doubled.

The cost to fill a mall is very, very high. You'll need to set the entry fee to pretty high and set it to an outlet store to recover your costs in a few years time. Of course I mean, I GUESS you could just use it to be a nice Presidente and satisfy your citizen's luxury need. But why give them that when you can give them a nice, cushy job building landmines and live in an apartment complex next to a bright, noisy cosmic pin?

Short time indeed, I'll actually finish before a few more events fire off :frog:

:saddowns: Oh god that price drop, that is a net 80% price tag for guns now. Why Preston, I trusted you!

Well we need a few more factory workers, so here is a Chemical Plant. Found under Industry these cost 12k after a 4k blueprint and requires 20mw of power. You can only have one. Much like how Cement Factories produce resources out of nothing, the Chemical Plant produces resources while only needing electricity. It does have 2 upgrades:

Medicine Production increases the service quality of every healthcare facility by 20. Costs 7.5k and 10mw of power. Veeeery nice in keeping your citizens out of hospitals for longer.

Nutrient Additives are more expensive chemicals. Costs 10k and 5mw of power. Not shabby in getting some extra cash.

Nooo, why is the rum profits always gone :saddowns: These are set events, there is supposed to be one more that increases the price of furniture, but that isn't for us. For we are out of here.

Meet the Cigar Factory! Costs 10k and a 6k blueprint, this factory turns tobacco into cigars. Has 3 upgrades:

Climate Control lowers the consumption of resources by 20%, cigars aren't a simple 1 tobacco > 1 cigar. This reduces the amount of tobacco per cigar. Costs 6k and 5mw of power.

Auto Roller makes machine rolled cigars. This gives a 50% bonus to production but machine rolled cigars are worth less. Costs 12k and 10mw of power. And yes, the increased production is worth the lower cost. Unless machine rolled cigars tank in which case you gotta destroy your factory and rebuild it to make hand rolled cigars :v:

Skylights is a simple 5k cost to improve job quality by 15%.

We wont be seeing much tobacco profits however, 2 more workers and we're finished!

View of our industry beach. 2 wharves, docks and 6 factories, must smell like roses down there.

Lower view of our town, the ritzy and middle class area came along nicely. The police station down there helps keeps tabs on crime around the docks and industry buildings.

Upper view of the city, namely the slums. Those ranches are a mix of cows, goats and llamas just for variety sake.

Victory! End numbers for our industry income? 206k. And that is WITHOUT booze baron, and without using the increased export price option on the customs office! And hell, who knows how much more if we were able to get our own resources, when the factories got full we could export the remaining raw resources and get more money! Industry simply blows tourism out of the water. Hell, agriculture blows tourism out of the water, and is far less of a pain to handle (ie, attracting the wrong tourists)

Presidente: Hola Senorita, now that you've been up there how about I show you the truly largest thing in Tropico?

*ding*

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 16, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright lets hold a vote for mission 5! Mission 5 has us trying to achieve a world record, and there are 3 to choose from. So I'll make a build of each choice!

Choice A is trying to grow the world's biggest papaya.

With this build we'll be trying a more agriculture based economy.

Choice B is getting the world's largest mustache on a woman.

This build we need to get an overall amount of happiness, as well as maybe flex some military muscle

Choice C is world's smelliest goat cheese.

This option is keeping us more closer to mother gaia in hopes of getting the smelliest of cheeses.

I'll hold this vote until 7 am Wednesday. Remember to BOLD A, B or C!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
El Presidente will be known for his smelliest of cheese. Take that France!

Choice C

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

B

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

C and unless I was pressed for waterfront, I would've just left the tourist dock, and a hotel or two up to fill the occasional empty spaces at entertainment buildings.

But that could be because I like variety in my economy.

The secret DLC building only lets you plant cash crops. You know, coffee, sugar, tobacco. The stuff you were importing!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As a benevolent ruler, we must ensure that all citizens have access to things like healthcare, security, and massive moustaches! ALL CITIZENS! (B)

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Leal posted:

Is this actually true? I never made a gun before

Well, assault rifles are usually faster to build and they have less small parts that require a lot of precise machining since they are designed to be easily mass-produced in case of a real war. Besides that, the civilian market expects a fit and finish that you can leave out on a cheap knock-off of a soviet/belgian rifle.

As for the vote, Choice B

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Option B sounds more fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

C, flavored with the socks of El Presidente.

Why waste money on a prison when you can build a labor camp that not only provides crops for export/industry but also permanently keeps tropicans as farmers until they die? The one time the prison is better is when you have a quest objective to have a number of arrested criminals.

If you need workers for factories just build a science academy and set it to have no standards. If even Penultimo could graduate you'll have no problems staffing your factories.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Going with C.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Poil posted:

If you need workers for factories just build a science academy and set it to have no standards. If even Penultimo could graduate you'll have no problems staffing your factories.

I did do that for one of my runs, but I ran into a debt spiral and the citizens were taking too long to graduate so I reset. Forgot to do it in the final run, woops!

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
I don't think I've ever used garages. I just always build a "downtown" area with all the good poo poo and little industrial slums everywhere. Anyways, I'm voting Option B

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
C. Never have really tried keeping the environmentalists happy, I'd like to see how it goes.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

This thread got me playing T4 again, having a fair amount of fun but I'm prepared to get fully screwed in the later levels.
C lets see if we can keep the hippies on side.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sorry for not making a post, but the voting ended Wednesday morning. I'm currently editing the pictures together, sorry guys I know C overtook but B was in the lead on Wednesday :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tropico Above All

Today we'll be making a few world records to get the world to notice Tropico. I hope that second press option doesn't have any bearing on our winning option...

Option B won the vote, we'll be getting a woman with the biggest mustache. Maybe even one as glorious as El Presidente's? Something makes the people like El Presidente, and it isn't his "generosity"

Velvet Revolution gives a +20 respect with the Intellectuals, +15 to US relations, +20% liberty but a -15 relations with China.

Patriot gives a +10 relations with Tropican born citizens and Nationalists. Its a good relation for playing the long game and having a bunch of children born and raised on your island. Each rank gives additional bonuses with the Nationalists.

Charisma gives a +1 bonus respect with every citizen, with each rank giving an additional point of respect. Simple, boring trait.

Cheapskate gives a -10 respect with the Communists and forces a 25$ max limit for salaries. On the upside you start with a 3% price reduction on buildings, with each rank giving a further reduction. Not a shabby trait if you never plan to go above 25 bucks in wages (I never do!)

Welcome to Isla Desconcida! We get a dock and a garage down at the beach...

Meet the main part of town and what the fuuuuuuuck. Is that multiple intersections? Where is my tenement? Why are the farms so far away from the roads? Uuggghh

Meet the Shanty, the only time you'll ever see one of these is if the map starts with them. Shanties cost 150 bucks each and house 2 families, found under Housing.. They provide zero rent, but require zero upkeep. They provide a mere 5 more housing quality over a shack. Just don't bother with these, keep your citizens in shacks until you get a few tenements around.

Alright we held it to a vote and B won, by a single vote! A didn't get any votes :(

Of course, our best mustachiod woman would've died already. No way to Weekend At Bernie's it?

So whats nice is our happiness started at 54%! Unfortunately as soon as the needs for religion, entertainment, etc. all pop up its just gonna drop and we'll need to wait a while before it builds back up when we can provide those needs. Oooooooorrr...

This is an edict I don't use too often. It doubles food consumption but increases food happiness. I guess it can be seen as a simple bonus if you import your food. I also turn on the social security edict, as it makes our Tropican's happy knowing they'll be cared for when they retire. And funnily enough, a few seconds of unpausing later...

Oh dear, Van Hoof doesn't like our record :( She was so nice during the tourism mission though! Regardless of the choice she'll come out to stop us.

But hey, 55% happiness, mission complete! That means...

Stop eating so much, thats profits :argh:

Oh c'mon Penultimo, we shouldn't resort to such methods. Besides, sending the Tropico army overseas for such a thing will surely have some repercussions...

Whooooa, wait what?!

That is crazy! SEND THE MILITARY! Wait we don't have the troops for that. So I *could* take the easy way and just build the bunker DLC building but lets do this fairly. First we'll need to build up our economy to get a military going.

Starting out the slums, I rebuilt the road to get rid of the square around the palace and ran a road to the farms.

:allears: This was hilarious the first time it came around. It seems the internet isn't the only place where you can make money trolling someone! Its also much welcomed with the 50% building costs, I put the money to a ministry so we can get some cheaper tenements. By the by, the starting houses I went and raised the prices to 5, as usual.

Meet the plantation, found under Food and Resources for 3k. Also requires the Plantador DLC. This building hires more farmers then the usual farms but it can grow extra patches of its crop. It cannot grow food crops however, just cash crops. This was one of the buildings that wasn't locked off in IMPORTant Business, so we could've grown our own coffee instead of importing it :ssh:

This map doesn't have good spots for tobacco or sugar. Well, there is ONE good spot for tobacco, but the palace is covering it. But coffee grows well up here!

drat, our loggers are pretty swole. Lemme just carry this giant log over my shoulder all the way back to camp. The camp will get us some much needed cash while we wait for our coffee to grow. There is one single close by ore deposit, but its bauxite and I wanted something that would lead to a proper industry.

Oh dear, when citizens get unhappy they protest. This can pull in more people to protest, which besides making the other protestors not work may also make them turn into rebels. We COULD just shoot them but uh... That never works out how you want it to.

We can send Presidente over to a protestor to get them to stop. I swear protestors find the best place to protest at. Either right outside a tenement and pulling in all the people living there into the protest or right outside of this foreign aid camp.

I don't see the problem Mrs. Pineapple. Penultimo spells his name like that regardless of our educational standards.

But fine, we need graduates to be soldiers anyways. Also getting a skilled teacher faster so we can hire them as a minister without having to order one from the EU.

Just wanting to show our very early agriculture profits. Our 1 corn, 1 pineapple and 1 logging camp make a third of the profits that we were making at the end of the tourism mission. And sure, those profits are only boosted because I have a foreign aid camp so we are selling all of our food but still.

Meet the lumber mill, found under Industry for 5k and a 1k blueprint. Refines your logs into a much more lucrative lumber, with a cheap start up its not a bad starter industry. Its got 3 upgrades:

Sawdust Burner reduces the pollution by 50% Costs 2k

Power Saw increases productivity by 30%. Costs 2k and needs 10mw of power

Log Debarker increases production by 25%, but requires 10% more wood per lumber. Costs 3k and needs 5mw of power.

Reverend Esteban: Last night, as I was talking to God, He told me He is disappointed in Tropico in not worshiping Him properly. Shame on you people! If this does not change soon, He will turn all the rum on Tropico into water!

Fine fine fine

Ahaahahahahaha..... Worship on the foot of your bed! I aint got that money!

Meet the Armory, under Government for 3k. They hire generals instead of soldiers, who require college educations. Armories are something the Militarists will want... but honestly I ignore them for a building I'll be showing later. Generals do come with a very valuable talent:

The ability to build and staff guard stations! Guard stations hire 3 soldiers who will patrol around them. This means you can have soldiers respond quicker to an attack.. the only problem is its possible for soldiers to get overwhelmed, just because you have a guard station near a place doesn't mean all 3 soldiers will be at the station when an attack happens. So you can have at best 3, or sometimes 0, of the guard station soldiers on hand to respond. So while 1 or 2 soldiers are fighting multiple rebels the rest of your army slowly runs over from wherever they are. Yes, runs. Soldiers do not use vehicles to respond to attacks. Because of this I make El Presidente go to a random spot near the attack so he'll get in the limo and drive over THEN make him join the defense.

Tropico 5 does improve combat in this aspect.

... Oh, and here I was just about ready to buy a church now that our lumber profits are coming in. But uh, maybe not. Faction disasters are when you continue to have a low relations with a faction, and depending on the faction it has different results. We'll find out all about them next mission! For now: Religious disaster makes visitors to the church lose respect for us.... Which is funny considering we can just NOT build churches and the disaster wont have any effect :haw:

Hah, finally after shaving her daughter's mustache we can finally build our church at regular price!

.... Man, I never thought I'd type something that weird outside of a Metal Gear Solid LP.

Oh I know all about "no such thing as bad publicity", lemme tell you all about internet super stardom! Now these extra records are all doable, in fact we will be doing them all, so no need to ask the thread which ones to get!

Well that was easy, we already got 3 generals from the armory :v:

And this is why we'll be getting all the records, more of that sweet sweet Switzerland money!

Interesting, guess I should show off another media building. Journalists are employed by newspapers, radio stations and tv stations. Might grab one of each.

Ugh, more docks? These are such a pain in the rear end to build. But getting some extra population would be nice, we do have a labor shortage going on.

By the by, if you are wondering why I haven't shown off any election speeches its because we are just too well liked :unsmith:. The difficulty is starting to go up though, we'll hold a speech at some point to convince the people to vote Presidente... Or else.

Oh, hey time to build that church! While the religious disaster doesn't take effect if you simply don't build a religious building, the lack of getting religious satisfaction makes people run to the jungle and find an AK.

Meet the bank, under Welfare and Economy for 8k. Now that our maps are lasting longer it'll be wise to start using these buildings. You may of seen one in mission 3 :ssh: Its got 3 work modes:

Urban Development reduces the costs of buildings, up to 20%. It takes time and is also dependent on the skills of the bankers. You can stack 3 banks to give a final 60% reduction on buildings. This can make tenements hilariously cheap. But this is one of those "if you can get to this point, you don't need it" things. By the time you get a 60% reduction you already had the means to fully staff 3 college required jobs.

Slush Fund simply takes money out of the treasury and puts it into Presidente's account, based on the banker's skill

Offshore Banking allows tourists to make a bank account with us and gets us some delicious money off them! I had one somewhere on the tourist beach in mission 3.

Expanding our school area, its also where our middle class housing will be. Thrown up a bunkhouse to keep the college students/elderly in houses. Got a hospital up too, what is nice about this map is that this central area that the main town is in has an elevation that'll give us a full 40 power on wind turbines! So we can just plop them wherever in our city. Hell, I only use a few substations just to get power to our docks, other then that I just build an extra wind turbine to expand our power.

Meet our newspaper, found under Education and Media for 5k after a 2k blueprint. It doesn't require power, so its a good way early on to start working on your liberty score. There are 5 work modes, and note that just like the TV Station you can only have 1 newspaper on 1 work mode.

Voice of the Worker increases the respect of Communists and makes people join the faction

Financial Times is the same but for Capitalists

Soldier of Fortune is the same but for Militarists

The Word of God is the same but for Religious

National Pride is the same but for Nationalists

Coupons N'More is the s- no wait this one gives you money depending on the people living around the building. Whats the radius? *shrugs* This game loves to tell you "a radius" but never defines it, minus one building in Modern Times...

Not only does it provide a base liberty increase but it helps you with manipulating the people into joining the faction you want. I'm *pretty sure* that the faction options are NOT dependent on citizens living near it. So you could have a newspaper out in the middle of nowhere and still have the same effect as it being in the center of town. I think thats why they got built in garages :v:

Finally got our 3 docks. Now to demolish the extra 2. Also I threw up a cannery near the docks to can our pineapples and coffee. We're making some pretty good cash at this point.

Penultimo: Has it been 10 years already? It feels like we were blessed with Presidente just yesterday!

Yep, maps are going longer now. All the maps before now have been done in like 5-8 years.

Meet the Army Base! Found under government for 8k and a 6k blueprint. They also hire 3 generals like the armories, however they offer a really really nice bonus: They provide housing and healthcare for your soldiers! Note that its free housing, but still its a nice way to give your soldiers benefits that you may restrict to your citizens (healthcare). Note that you'll need 1 general working at the base before it houses soldiers.

I typically build these over armories, I may have 1 armory just to get the Militarists off my back. Generally by the time you'd need an armory you should have the cash for a base.

Next record, we'll definitely show we got the best army after taking out 5 rebels!

Don't think I actually introduced General Rodriguez despite him showing up in the first mission. He is the leader of our military and the Militarists faction. The Militarists generally want a strong Tropican army, and get all antsy when they aren't cared for or when there is a bunch of rebels on the island.

Anyways, 1k per head? Man, Moreno must be having some hard times :(

And they're not well organized, the fifth one is in the top right corner! Also oh poo poo they're heading straight for the palace, none of this "attack a farm on the edge of the town" stuff rebels usually pull. I uh, hope we don't somehow manage to lose all 13 troops.

As they round the corner to the palace they come across the most dangerous thing you can find in a Tropican alleyway....

Presidente! You gotta admire the sheer brass balls this guy has seeing 4 guys with AKs rush him and he stands his ground with a pistol.

Sunny Flowers: We are transmitting live from the field where Rebel forces have recently launched a full scale attack against the Palace. The army is ready to repel them and our own Penultimo is going to join the fight.

Penultimo: That's right! I will give my life for El Presidente! Cha-arge!

Sunny Flowers: But Penultimo, the Palace is in the opposite direction.... He is trying to circle behind them, I guess.

And brass balls indeed, he killed 2 of them while a third runs off! Quick, Penultimo pincer attack!

Just ignore those 2 generals running out of the nearby base. Thats 4 of 5 down, just gotta wait for that one who fell behind to come up. Surprised they didn't just retreat. Since Presidente has a War Hero background he also gets a bonus to his combat abilities. If Presidente "loses" in a firefight he is simply wounded and runs back to the palace to heal up. Even if he loses in a fight against a tornado! Well hey, another record won. Just cost the lives of 5 people.

Meet the end of the log chain, the Furniture Factory. Found under Industry for 15k and a 9k blueprint, here we turn our lumber into furniture. Honestly I don't really go this far. Hell I barely even get lumber mills, once I got a good industry going I get rid of logging camps. Compared to other factories its an extra step and more labor then usual. If you import I guess its not that bad, but on this map furniture sells for ~4.5k. Iced coffee also sells for that price. Hell, lumber is almost 4k itself :psyduck: I build this just to show it off, don't expect to see one of these again.

Here are its upgrades:

Machining Center costs 8k and requires 15mw of power for a 20% production increase

Exhaust Fans costs 5k and requires 5mw of power. It increases production by 10% and job satisfaction by 20% but it produces an extra 50% pollution.

Now here is an edict I wish I activated BEFORE we fought those rebels. This edict not only makes our troops more effective in combat, but increases the healthcare and housing service provided by our bases. You will need a base built before you can use this edict. Whats nice is that its a yearly cost here, in T1 it would run out after some time and you'd have to manually activate it again.

Showing off our industrial area. I destroyed our log camp and lumber mill and built new ones down here so its all centrally located. Also I wanted to take the land for more houses.

Speaking of! Meet the condominium! Under Housing for 6k and a 4k blueprint and requiring 6mw of power each, THIS is your high class housing option. They provide 85 housing quality and house 4 families, compared to the 95 quality mansions give but those only house 2 families. I set these to 8 a month, hell I almost want to set them to 9 a month. Tropicans don't seem to care much about "I could move to a condo for $8 a month... or an apartment for half that", they go for the highest housing that they can afford.

These get even more crazy in Modern Times :shepface:

Here we see Presidente taking a wa- aagh, what the hell is up with his textures? Meet clone Presidente, you may notice an eyeball on the top of the screenshot. This is what our Academy of Science produces. This Presidente acts like our Presidente, only we cannot directly control him. He'll wander to random buildings and gives them the Presidente boost and even joins fights. I don't know why his textures are such hot garbage though, all the other nearby Tropicans are just fine.

I like the way you think, whose is going to contest our claim? US and Russia can't even agree on the spaceport above the Earth, they don't got time to fight over Mars!

... Sometimes you just think a sign was given. As an aside, I'm surprised surfers aren't a thing in Tropico.

Welp, rip that guy. Seeing how it was a boat at sea and not in our dock its safe to assume he is a foreigner. Not that it would stop a Tropican dock worker, you see that one in mission 2? Tough as nails!

Well drat. I bet that freighter has no cargo in it either, huh?

Weird, it actually landed on the beach. Usually these end up way inland for me. The tanker does ruin beauty and possibly leaks pollution as well? It costs 1k to remove but I like it, it can be a Tropican monument! You know, if we ever bothered with tourists again.

Now I just want to point out, this is up the hill of our main city. The wave came from the bottom of the screen, and below the bottom of our screen is our industry area. The arrows are pointing to the only 2 buildings that were damaged, buildings clear on the other side of town :psyduck:

I bet Sunny cursed that it didn't destroy any of the industry buildings which WERE at the very bottom of the hill and shoulda taken the full force of it.

Sunny Flowers: Whats with that huge rocket, Penultimo?

Penultimo: We are securing our national sovereignty, keeping the world peace!

Sunny Flowers: And here I thought we were just compensating for something.

See, the radio makes Sunny so much better. So meet the nuclear program, appropriately sitting behind our army base! They're supposed to cost 60k but I believe a discount is given on this, going off the "build a cheap, shabby nuclear program" wording. I swear I didn't pay 60k. Anyways it also needs a defense minister and 30mw of power. Why have one? As long as we are not in debt the US and USSR cannot oust us! This means you don't have to bother with making either faction happy! As an aside the EU will lose respect for you for having one. In Modern Times you can use it to extort money from the foreign powers like our own Caribbean North Korea!

Well the tsunami destroyed one of the banks so we gotta wait for it to be rebuilt :goleft:

Meet the Gourmet Restaurant, under Entertainment for 5k and 5mw of power. Basically take the restaurant and make it fancier. Has the same work modes even, but has a base quality of 70. Has a tourism spending of 50, and attracts eco and wealthy tourists.

My man Esteban, I like the way you think! We'll just build a second church near our first one then plop a rum distillery next to it.

Hey lets check out another building real quick! Meet the Labor Camp, part of the Vigilante DLC. Found under Food and Resources for 2k, its effectively a prison mixed with a farm. Hiring 2 Police Officers, arrested people will become workers and grow whatever crop you set it to. Forever. They do not get discharged after 5 years, requiring a manual dismissal. And even then they'll go right back to being criminals. If you don't care about rehabilitating your criminals then a labor camp is strictly better then a prison monetary wise. This was also a building you could of used in IMPORTant business.

Thats right, grow coffee for the rest of your life! Thats what you get for being a criminal! You know thinking about it, you could also use this as a method to get unemployed people to work. Arresting the unemployed to work, hoo boy...

Have an overview of the city! Its all coming along nicely, I was trying to get a nice shot of the fireworks but I don't think they're too visible after being resized. Fireworks go off every year on the national holiday month.

Here is our distillery next to some churches, and to think I thought it was funny having a pub around the corner from a church....

After 5 records, which is needed for victory, we get this from Van Hoof. To think she was so kind when we were trying to start a tourism industry.... Also I love the end message :allears:

So we could end the mission but I did want to get those sweet swiss dollars! We'll continue for a bit longer. The last 2 records needed is the richest nation one (2nd bank was still being built) and....

Building a zoo. Weird, you'd think Sunny would hate the concept of a zoo...

Showing off a few additions to town, namely our Eternal Flame! Found under Landmarks and Beauty for 20k, it entertains visitors and depending on the work mode it can even convert a few:

El Compatriota gives a 10% chance to convert visitors to the Nationalists

Guerra Eterna is the same but for Militarists

El Cigarro Grande same but for Loyalists

Mundo Unido will, after running in this work mode for a year, make the US and USSR each give an extra 1k a year in foreign aid. Eeeeh, there are better ways to use this building.

And now meet our zoo. Found under Entertainment for 12k, Zoos have the highest base service quality (80!) but they're really big. Also I'm positive the surrounding beauty effects it, as there is a beauty overlay when selecting it and this one is currently giving a whopping 105 service quality! It also has a tourist spending of 50. There are 2 work modes for it:

Mimeographed Handout is the normal work mode

Four-Color Brochure doubles the upkeep but gives a 20% boost to service quality (meaning we could hit 125)

The zoo has its animals fully modeled, the dolphins swim around and stuff :3:

Final look at our industry, added a second cannery as the first one was getting filled. Also threw a wharve down there to get some food variety and for canning purposes.

Middle class part of town, tossed a cathedral inside for the hell of it.

Ritzy area of town. Come see the zoo, and on the way our nuclear missiles!

Good ol' slums. Providing the coffee and pineapples for our canneries.

And here it is, our final resting place. The Mausoleum is found under Landmarks and Beauty for 30k. It houses 2 soldiers to guard it, citizens and tourists can visit it for entertainment and all profits go to your swiss account. Since its a symbol of Presidente the rebels will *always* attack it over everything else. And because of that little detail, its got an upgrade:

Booby Traps, for 25k you can set explosives inside of it so when the rebels attack it, and if they win, it'll blow them ALL up with it. Hilarious.

Victory!

*Tropico jingle plays*

This is the happiest place on Earth. And I am the happiest man alive.

I have something in me that can convert poverty to riches, adversity to prosperity.

I've done it! The world lies at my feet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright next map is a little different, we'll have a bunch of conflicting factions and we'll need to choose 1 over the other. Because there are a few different combinations I'll instead ask which faction you would prefer then try to build a Presidente to match up with the choices. We'll have to make 4 choices:

Communists or Capitalists

Intellectuals or Militarists

Environmentalists or Religious

Nationalists or Loyalists

So please pick 4 factions and bold them all! This vote will be until Sunday 12pm pacific time.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Messing with Van Hoof is the best. :allears:
Personally I always set entertainment buildings on the highest quality setting as long as it doesn't exclude people. Four colored linen napkins for everyone!

Communists
Intelectuals
Environmentalists
Loyalists

This will lead us to glory.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I've always been on the fence of getting any game past Tropico 3. Mostly because I wasn't sure if the additions were really that in-depth, but, well, I seem to be mistaken.

What's the general upsides, downsides to 5 over 4, by the by?

Voting Communists, Militarists, Environmentalists and Nationalists.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Capitalists, Intellectuals, Environmentalists, Nationalists

Dinictus posted:

What's the general upsides, downsides to 5 over 4, by the by?

Less micro and multiplayer but also less depth and flavor.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I really enjoyed 4 when I used to play it, but I've heard it wasn't much of a leap from 3 and that 5 adds even less, so I guess I'll remain in the happy medium.

The pirate one was a heck of a lot of fun IMO even if people grumbled about it a lot.

e: Wait, why am I a Nap Ghost? Where'd I get that, what does it mean????

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did you donate to the website?

Communists
Intellectuals
Environmentalists
Nationalists

Go lefty.

I feel like playing this next. Just pick the other options.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Communist,
militarist,
environmentalist
nationalists.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lynneth posted:

Same here! I can't wait for the kind of society that'll result from this :allears:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

~~~~~

Cool LP. I'm voting based entirely on the representative you'd be sucking up to vs their counterpart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Capitalists, because my greatest joy in this LP is watching your Swiss bank account grow.
Militarists, Pineapple's picture is upsetting and I love that, in a game containing Pinochet and Castro and Nixon and Thatcher, for military leader we went with Luis Guzman.
Religious, fun reverend
Loyalists, there's nothing sadder than a Caribbean Nazi.