Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I got a chance to see wicked and I had a blast, I've been pretty much trying to find an excuse to go see another show even if they're a little pricey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTvCaFpiO7A

anything I should look out for?

also its true about that southpark episode, taking your woman out to a play pretty much guarantees sex afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I would try and find a live showing of Death of a Salesman

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

play with my dick until cum explodes. patchaaa

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hell Yeah posted:

play with my dick until cum explodes. patchaaa

Lmao

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I got drunk and saw Aïda, i recommend doing the same

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Magius makes a substantial thread? Wow!

I went to see Spider Man Turn off the Dark which is a dumpster fire beyond just the title of the play.

-Mixed the story of Spiderman with greek mythology??? The mythological Arachne gives Spiderman his powers?
-Stunts using pulleys and poo poo across the stage which resulted in injuries for the stunt actors.
-The above meant this was the most expensive Broadway play to ever produce.
-Arachne has a song and dance number about her love for shoes. Get it??? CAUSE SHE'S A SPIDER WITH 8 LEGS???
-The preview screening version was much longer than the final cut and had to go through 182 preview performances because it was that bad.

When we left the theater for a preview play we saw crowds of people asking the creator questions and she was visibly upset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_Turn_Off_the_Dark

Putty fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 9, 2018

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Putty posted:

Magius makes a substantial thread? Wow!

I went to see Spider Man Turn off the Dark which is a dumpster fire beyond just the title of the play.

-Mixed the story of Spiderman with greek mythology??? The mythological Arachne gives Spiderman his powers?
-Stunts using pulleys and poo poo across the stage which resulted in injuries for the stunt actors.
-The above meant this was the most expensive Broadway play to ever produce.
-Arachne has a song and dance number about her love for shoes. Get it??? CAUSE SHE'S A SPIDER WITH 8 LEGS???
-The preview screening version was much longer than the final cut and had to go through 182 preview performances because it was that bad.

When we left the theater we saw crowds of people asking the creator of the play questions and she was visibly upset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_Turn_Off_the_Dark

Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark is a 2010 musical with music and lyrics by U2's Bono and The Edge, with arrangements and orchestration by David Campbell, and a book by Julie Taymor, Glen Berger, and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

I remember way back in the day I saw 3~ people try to recreate Shakespeare plays and give them modern wacky twists like codpieces for their uniforms and their weapons having fast food advertisements and recreating the Hamlet assassination scenes with Psycho shower scenes.

It was weird but I enjoyed it.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Darkness is the absence of light much like how cold is the absence of heat. You cannot turn off the dark.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
when i went to see wicked in london half the audience didn't return after the intermission. idk if they didnt like it or literally just dont know how plays work and thought it was over because the big number from all the promotional stuff immediately precedes it. but i'm inclined to believe the latter.

anyway les miserables is the best musical you should see that. if youre down for opera maybe pick a random puccini opera and go see that, went to a production of tosca a while back that was set in mussolini era italy complete with nazi flags everywhere and that sure was a thing but i think it worked overall

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Cabaret is the best one. Cats was also good on Broadway.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Wrestlemania is coming up and thats as good as it gets, op

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Tom Gorman posted:

Wrestlemania

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like lively broadway musicals that include prancing.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I saw The Wiggles perform live it was very nice

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I despise musicals but some plays are alright. There's a classical Shakespeare Globe Theatre in Staunton near me that puts on good shows. Saw the Merchant of Venice and Othello there years ago and it was cool.

E: Opera is cool too though. I especially like the old German stuff like the Magic Flute by Mozart. I like the Italian stuff too but I think the music in German opera is better.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 9, 2018

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I saw Julius Caesar in high school at our city's big main theatre and it was kinda weird cuz they made it "modern." It had lots of weird lighting and sound effects, almost like it was overproduced?

I also got to see "Turning of the Screw" there and it was pretty neat.

We also have a dinner theatre place that does musicals. You eat lunch/dinner, they do the first half of the show, then there's an intermission so you can go to the bathroom, and then the second half. I've seen, uh, 6 or 8 shows there. Pretty fun place.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
taking my family to see les miserables, going to be tough to really identify with the characters however with dow 25k and record unemployment.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Skypie posted:

I saw Julius Caesar in high school at our city's big main theatre and it was kinda weird cuz they made it "modern." It had lots of weird lighting and sound effects, almost like it was overproduced?

I also got to see "Turning of the Screw" there and it was pretty neat.

We also have a dinner theatre place that does musicals. You eat lunch/dinner, they do the first half of the show, then there's an intermission so you can go to the bathroom, and then the second half. I've seen, uh, 6 or 8 shows there. Pretty fun place.

The Shakespeare theatre I mentioned earlier is the exact opposite of overproduced. Sparse set pieces and costume appropriate to the period. It really put the focus on the Shakespeare and was awesome. The only downside to that place, which is still kinda cool in its own way, is that it's modeled so closely after the Globe that all the seating is wooden benches and poo poo. You can even rent a cushion for like a buck or two lmao. It's a good experience overall though and I really need to go back at some point. I keep hoping I'll find a woman that's into that kind of thing that I could take because none of my friends are gonna put up with Shakespeare lmao.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

My favorites are, in this order:

Phantom
Les Mis
Jekyll and Hyde
Aida
The Lion King
Rent

For some reason, I could never get into Wicked. :(

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
wicked just isn't very good imo. not bad as such, just extremely "ok".

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

extra row of teeth posted:

My favorites are, in this order:

Phantom
Les Mis
Jekyll and Hyde
Aida
The Lion King
Rent

For some reason, I could never get into Wicked. :(

Oh I like Aida Cuevas don’t get me wrong here.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Honky Dong Country posted:

The Shakespeare theatre I mentioned earlier is the exact opposite of overproduced. Sparse set pieces and costume appropriate to the period. It really put the focus on the Shakespeare and was awesome. The only downside to that place, which is still kinda cool in its own way, is that it's modeled so closely after the Globe that all the seating is wooden benches and poo poo. You can even rent a cushion for like a buck or two lmao. It's a good experience overall though and I really need to go back at some point. I keep hoping I'll find a woman that's into that kind of thing that I could take because none of my friends are gonna put up with Shakespeare lmao.

Yeah, it was really weird to see the difference between the JC production and Turning of the Screw. The latter was really sparse and had very few props on stage, relying mostly on the actors. I liked it a lot more.

Also one of the actors came to our class the day after to discuss the play and a few other things with us, which was neat.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i saw a surprisingly good local production a musical parody of jurassic park focused on the transsexual dinosaurs

Groly
Nov 4, 2009
The Barber of Seville is a great first opera.

Carmen is a great second opera.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mnoba posted:

taking my family to see les miserables, going to be tough to really identify with the characters however with dow 25k and record unemployment.

this post is a thing of beauty

Les Mis is the best musical just make sure there's not a goddang jonas brother in the cast

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I went to New York in the summer and caught a couple of shows (Wicked and Waitress). It's pretty dope, whether the show itself is any good or not it's like the NBA of music. Everybody on the stage would have been the best that ever came out of my lovely home town

I

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Best musical is Cabaret, best opera is Figaro, best play is The Maids. Let’s fight.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
When I was a kid every year Gramma would take us to see the Mikado in Seattle. Lotta good songs in that play.
"The Fiddler on the Roof," and "Three Little Girls From School," to name a couple.

I would watch with her little binoculars to see if I could catch any one coughing or breaking character but I hardly ever did.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Oh poo poo I forgot I went and saw Lion King at the Princess of Wales theater in grade 7

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Enemy of the People is a good play

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

Best musical is Cabaret, best opera is Figaro, best play is The Maids. Let’s fight.

les mis, turandot and hamlet i'll fukken fite you

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
Go see some smaller local poo poo, OP.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Queen the musical
Addams family
Evil Dead the Musical
Book of Mormon

My wife loves musicals. The above are pretty much the only ones I can think of that I've enjoyed after 10 years or so of the drat things.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I saw the little mermaid musical on a date a while back and thought it was unironically great. I'm pretty sure I liked it waaaay more than she did which was awkward.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
How high do I have to get to enjoy live theater?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i go to the theatre every day, as my job.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think many goons would like the theatrical works of zayd dohrn. hes cool and his plays are cool, and pretty hosed Up, i guess. you should check them out if ones running where u r

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've seen an absolute shitload of plays and musicals and by far the worst was a preview showing of Fram by Tony Harrison, a guy who has apparently won a bunch of literary awards. The play is about three and a half hours long and done entirely in very, very bad verse, and includes such recurring themes as ghosts eating vomit. There's a scene where a ship (er, it might have been a plane, it was literally a decade ago) was supposed to rise from the stage while some "poet" with his mouth stitched shut wailed incoherently. Except, at the preview I was at, there was some kind of technical malfunction and the ship didn't come up as planned, and this guy with his mouth stitched shut is just scream-humming incoherently for like ten minutes straight, and we all kind of assumed it was some edgelordy way to end the play until a stagehand came out and apologized for the problem.

Honorable mention for bad plays goes to The Hour We Knew Nothing Of Each Other which can be visually fantastic if put on well, but just has absolutely nothing at all interesting to say (no pun intended, honest).

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby
I auditioned for a role in a local production of Glengarry Glen Ross which ended up being a mostly female cast just on accident cause not a lot of men auditioned. I'm glad I didn't get the part, that would have taken up way too much of my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Listen, Biff. You get yourself some dry rear end Arthur Miller scripts and learn what modern theatre is all about. Edgy reportorial theatre not withstanding.

• Locked thread