Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Serious response:

If you like absurdism and can stand characters with witty names like Mr. & Mrs. X, jesus, Pinter plays are basically all good.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

food court bailiff posted:

I've seen an absolute shitload of plays and musicals and by far the worst was a preview showing of Fram by Tony Harrison, a guy who has apparently won a bunch of literary awards. The play is about three and a half hours long and done entirely in very, very bad verse, and includes such recurring themes as ghosts eating vomit. There's a scene where a ship (er, it might have been a plane, it was literally a decade ago) was supposed to rise from the stage while some "poet" with his mouth stitched shut wailed incoherently. Except, at the preview I was at, there was some kind of technical malfunction and the ship didn't come up as planned, and this guy with his mouth stitched shut is just scream-humming incoherently for like ten minutes straight, and we all kind of assumed it was some edgelordy way to end the play until a stagehand came out and apologized for the problem.

Honorable mention for bad plays goes to The Hour We Knew Nothing Of Each Other which can be visually fantastic if put on well, but just has absolutely nothing at all interesting to say (no pun intended, honest).

Don't stop I'm almost there.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Theater is neat but if you keep going you're inevitably going to run up against theater people and then you'll befriend some of them and then your dreams are haunted by a never ending stream of acapella Disney songs

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Have Blue posted:

Theater is neat but if you keep going you're inevitably going to run up against theater people and then you'll befriend some of them and then your dreams are haunted by a never ending stream of acapella Disney songs

I took a theatre class when I was a freshman in college just to kinda round out my electives and cuz I had done a bit of stage work in high school.

Holy poo poo, those 14 people and the professor might easily have been the most insufferable people I've ever had to be around

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Skypie posted:

I took a theatre class when I was a freshman in college just to kinda round out my electives and cuz I had done a bit of stage work in high school.

Holy poo poo, those 14 people and the professor might easily have been the most insufferable people I've ever had to be around

GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 › Theaters and plays: those 14 people and the professor might easily have been the most insufferable people I've ever had to be around

As an ex-theatre person I can attest to the general horribleness of my ilk.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I suddenly remembered being coerced into a play at third grade along with everybody else that we had to practice for the whole year until we finally performed at a grotty highschool with my father watching.

I did not make a good performance and my dad was not in a good mood because of it :smith:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Literally A Person posted:

GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 › Theaters and plays: those 14 people and the professor might easily have been the most insufferable people I've ever had to be around

As an ex-theatre person I can attest to the general horribleness of my ilk.

As part of the course, we had to go attend a student performance of uh...Dionysus? I think that's what it was called. It was just kind of a modern day take on a bacchanal as all these various people deal with the problems and eventually all the threads come together or something.

Man it was weird and not in a good way

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Have Blue posted:

theater people

theatre people own and cool and extremely irreverent. you can get hells of laid amongst the theatre people with blisteringly hot babes. the real people you have you have to watch out for are puppet people who are insane and basically the demon tribe of the theatre people universe.

i usually do new works but one of the sickest shows i saw last year was a savagely brutal production of the scottish play which was hella metal. we are talking blood geysers and rolling decap'd heads everywhere

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Smythe posted:

theatre people own and cool and extremely irreverent. you can get hells of laid amongst the theatre people with blisteringly hot babes. the real people you have you have to watch out for are puppet people who are insane and basically the demon tribe of the theatre people universe.

i usually do new works but one of the sickest shows i saw last year was a savagely brutal production of the scottish play which was hella metal. we are talking blood geysers and rolling decap'd heads everywhere

You, sir, are one of them.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
if internet people dont stop you posting on the internet then theatre people dont even rate a mention when attending cool & good theatre shows

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Ayn Randi posted:

if internet people dont stop you posting on the internet then theatre people dont even rate a mention when attending cool & good theatre shows

As an audience member, yes, but to work like that again with those types? I don't know, man.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I guess I shouldn't bitch too badly though. A theatre I acted and crewed at gave me a job when I got out of high school. I learned a metric poo poo ton about carpentry and electrical and just how to have fun and enjoy general laboring. I just look back and realize exactly how fake each and everyone of us was and it's a little sickening.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I just want to say after being raised on the Rent CD during car rides I can't think of a popular musical I despise more. In The Heights is a much better musical about urban squalor.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Smythe posted:

the real people you have you have to watch out for are puppet people who are insane and basically the demon tribe of the theatre people universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_C7a35N5QY

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

I guess I shouldn't bitch too badly though. A theatre I acted and crewed at gave me a job when I got out of high school. I learned a metric poo poo ton about carpentry and electrical and just how to have fun and enjoy general laboring. I just look back and realize exactly how fake each and everyone of us was and it's a little sickening.

despite the fact that im having some trouble reconciling these 2 sentences, if it makes you feel any better as you move up the totem pole into LORT (C, B, D, whatever), HAT, or whatever contract professional and amateur theatres produce at you end up with a lot of really cool, smart, hardworking artists and craftsmen who make their living in a dynamic field. you can go full YOSPOS on the ion doing really tricky poo poo, all the way through the on stage talent, through the production office which i guess would be full CC if we're using SA forums as standins. you can do a lot of fun, creative, and techy poo poo in theatre and if you're smart and fast you can make a living while a veritable graveyard of MFA smallsons pile up in your wake.

there is nothing more thrilling than the moment right before opening, a full house, vibrating talent, rows of press, the development office quivering with anticipation - months of work, weeks of 80 hour weeks teching and polishing and making it all perfect, all boil down to the 10 seconds before the first cue. Once that first Go, the pre-show recording telling people to turn off their phones plays it's all our of your hands, off to the races. it's exhilarating. I've been in this business a long time and it still takes my breath away. The whole process flashes before your eyes. The first time you read the script in a dimly lit office after hours, in rehearsal when the director threw their script on the ground and stormed out. The hours spent troubleshooting some hosed up tricky cue. The designer who had a crying meltdown trying to get some poo poo right. The disastrous dress rehearsal that left you talking an actor off the ledge on the phone in the dead of night. All of it for this moment. WOW!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

almost certain this is the bob baker theatre which is incredible and the dude who runs it is awesome, brilliant, and insane.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Smythe posted:

almost certain this is the bob baker theatre which is incredible and the dude who runs it is awesome, brilliant, and insane.

It is! The show also has David Liebe Hart(sp?) in a recurring role who is just plain insane

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Does anyone perform the Shakespearean version of The Big Lebowski that out-of-work english prof wrote years back?

I imagine that could go either way, but probably horrible. If horrible is your thing.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Have Blue posted:

It is! The show also has David Liebe Hart(sp?) in a recurring role who is just plain insane

yes! puppet people man... fucken puppet people

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i once had a costumer who was a puppet person. she was super hot and beyond stacked, and i think of her sometimes, fondly. anyways, my friend is a lighting designer and they got "connected" during tech for some show. anyways he takes her to vegas and they have a grand ol time. we were probs in our mid 20s back then, and they well they are there. on the second night he figures its time to throw the bone as they say and its time to gently caress. according to his testimony, which may not be true, she requests to take out her puppet, for the puppet is a virgin and it is time for it to become deflowered, so if he does not mind, she would like to gently caress with the puppet and through the puppets voice and mannerisms. i do not know if this happened or if it is a tall tale, but it is really funny to think about.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
severely disappointed that "gently caress puppet" was applied so literally

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
anyways we will never know for sure, for immediately after that show went up she departed forever. she was a very cool, smart, talented and driven puppet psycho and her troupe of mentally ill puppet people were called upon to be resident puppeteers at some far flung space and she vanished into the night. another opening, another show.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I once went to ballet on LSD. It was the main Ballet and opera house in my country all serious and glamorous. The show was Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Skypie posted:

its like the theater geeks never grew up from high school

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Magius1337est posted:

its like the theater geeks never grew up from high school

A lot of us didn't, that's why most of us "normal" folks ran away to other creative industries.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Smythe posted:

despite the fact that im having some trouble reconciling these 2 sentences, if it makes you feel any better as you move up the totem pole into LORT (C, B, D, whatever), HAT, or whatever contract professional and amateur theatres produce at you end up with a lot of really cool, smart, hardworking artists and craftsmen who make their living in a dynamic field. you can go full YOSPOS on the ion doing really tricky poo poo, all the way through the on stage talent, through the production office which i guess would be full CC if we're using SA forums as standins. you can do a lot of fun, creative, and techy poo poo in theatre and if you're smart and fast you can make a living while a veritable graveyard of MFA smallsons pile up in your wake.

there is nothing more thrilling than the moment right before opening, a full house, vibrating talent, rows of press, the development office quivering with anticipation - months of work, weeks of 80 hour weeks teching and polishing and making it all perfect, all boil down to the 10 seconds before the first cue. Once that first Go, the pre-show recording telling people to turn off their phones plays it's all our of your hands, off to the races. it's exhilarating. I've been in this business a long time and it still takes my breath away. The whole process flashes before your eyes. The first time you read the script in a dimly lit office after hours, in rehearsal when the director threw their script on the ground and stormed out. The hours spent troubleshooting some hosed up tricky cue. The designer who had a crying meltdown trying to get some poo poo right. The disastrous dress rehearsal that left you talking an actor off the ledge on the phone in the dead of night. All of it for this moment. WOW!

all this sounds better than the actual play

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I think I saw some Shakespeare one in highschool, they spoke funny and I did not enjoy it

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Smythe posted:

That paragraph isn't doing much for the narrative of theater people not being insane

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

EorayMel posted:

Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark is a 2010 musical with music and lyrics by U2's Bono and The Edge, with arrangements and orchestration by David Campbell, and a book by Julie Taymor, Glen Berger, and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

I remember way back in the day I saw 3~ people try to recreate Shakespeare plays and give them modern wacky twists like codpieces for their uniforms and their weapons having fast food advertisements and recreating the Hamlet assassination scenes with Psycho shower scenes.

It was weird but I enjoyed it.

Shakespeare is fun to experiment with. One of my favorite experiences was a performance about eight years ago of Titus Andronicus performed as a black comedy (in order to keep up with modern racial sensitivities they changed the villain Aaron’s race from “Moor” to “Clown”)

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
I hosed a puppet guy (more specifically a marionette guy) and he would get into this kind of flow where he said he just had to "listen" and he'd know what to do. And he'd say I was just like a puppet in how he could control me, which he seemed to be in to. That boy could get me off just by doing things like gently caressing my spine, it was nuts. And of course he would also tie me up sometimes because lol puppets. A+++ would recommend marionette guys.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i saw Book of Mormon in London a few years ago and then went to soho and got really drunk and got my balls sucked by a nice english lady

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Famine Poodle posted:

I hosed a puppet guy (more specifically a marionette guy) and he would get into this kind of flow where he said he just had to "listen" and he'd know what to do. And he'd say I was just like a puppet in how he could control me, which he seemed to be in to. That boy could get me off just by doing things like gently caressing my spine, it was nuts. And of course he would also tie me up sometimes because lol puppets. A+++ would recommend marionette guys.

How did he gently caress your spine what the heck

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Senor Dog posted:

Les Mis is the best musical just make sure there's not a goddang jonas brother in the cast

The 25th anniversary concert is amazing as you have the Jonas standing there singing with his pretty pop music voice, just to get utterly destroyed by the cast around him.

They must’ve known going into it how bad he was going to be, but knowing his appearance would sell tickets. What a waste for a big event.

The theatre is good. I’m locked in for Hamilton tickets next year if I renew my touring broadway season pass, and the shows are usually decent (that Phantom sequel sucked though). Hamilton just sounds awful from what I’ve seen and heard so maybe I’ll sell those tickets and pay for the rest of the shows with the money.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Smythe posted:

i go to the theatre every day, as my job.

What's up fellow theater bud?

Smythe posted:

This is where we might have to disagree. After more than 20 years of doing this, that is the point at which I'm ready for the show to be over. Audience enjoys the show? Great, but I've already seen it 150 times over the last few weeks and I'm ready to move on. After the last couple of dress rehearsals, I know my cues are solid and I program everything so that I could get hit by a bus and a 6 year old could be a go-monkey running the console. I love what I do and I strive to make every production the best it possibly can be, but I guess I've really never been a "theater person" as such. I also never had any interest whatsoever in performing on stage. I've always been a technically oriented person.

Groly posted:

The Barber of Seville is a great first opera.

Carmen is a great second opera.

This is really good advice, though I'd say follow Barber with Figaro rather than Carmen, but Carmen is good.

e: Also, Smythe I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with being a "theater person" as it were. I have many friends and colleagues that are balls to the wall theater crazies and I love them and thoroughly enjoy working alongside them. I guess I'm just a bit jaded and look at it more of an occupation that I find fulfilling rather than a passion that I find joy in. I love doing what I do, but not quite as much as they do.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 9, 2018

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

Sid Vicious posted:

How did he gently caress your spine what the heck

*Softly running his fingers up and down my spine.

I miss those word filters.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I'm actually not a real theatre person but it's a living and I can keep wierd hours.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Smythe posted:

I'm actually not a real theatre person but it's a living and I can keep wierd hours.

:same:

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

Smythe posted:

I think that's the case for a lot of techs, and sometimes designers. Nerds? Yes. Crazy? Maybe. But not "theatre people".

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

its like movies except the special effects suck and u can talk to the main characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The theatre is the kind of place you should make it a rule to wear a condom.

• Locked thread