Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Not when having sex with people, just in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also, the best line in any play is:

"Hey waitress, gently caress YOU!"

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

whoa gently caress this thread is insane. wtf

Smythe posted:

despite the fact that im having some trouble reconciling these 2 sentences, if it makes you feel any better as you move up the totem pole into LORT (C, B, D, whatever), HAT, or whatever contract professional and amateur theatres produce at you end up with a lot of really cool, smart, hardworking artists and craftsmen who make their living in a dynamic field. you can go full YOSPOS on the ion doing really tricky poo poo, all the way through the on stage talent, through the production office which i guess would be full CC if we're using SA forums as standins. you can do a lot of fun, creative, and techy poo poo in theatre and if you're smart and fast you can make a living while a veritable graveyard of MFA smallsons pile up in your wake.

there is nothing more thrilling than the moment right before opening, a full house, vibrating talent, rows of press, the development office quivering with anticipation - months of work, weeks of 80 hour weeks teching and polishing and making it all perfect, all boil down to the 10 seconds before the first cue. Once that first Go, the pre-show recording telling people to turn off their phones plays it's all our of your hands, off to the races. it's exhilarating. I've been in this business a long time and it still takes my breath away. The whole process flashes before your eyes. The first time you read the script in a dimly lit office after hours, in rehearsal when the director threw their script on the ground and stormed out. The hours spent troubleshooting some hosed up tricky cue. The designer who had a crying meltdown trying to get some poo poo right. The disastrous dress rehearsal that left you talking an actor off the ledge on the phone in the dead of night. All of it for this moment. WOW!

huh? lmao

Smythe posted:

i once had a costumer who was a puppet person. she was super hot and beyond stacked, and i think of her sometimes, fondly. anyways, my friend is a lighting designer and they got "connected" during tech for some show. anyways he takes her to vegas and they have a grand ol time. we were probs in our mid 20s back then, and they well they are there. on the second night he figures its time to throw the bone as they say and its time to gently caress. according to his testimony, which may not be true, she requests to take out her puppet, for the puppet is a virgin and it is time for it to become deflowered, so if he does not mind, she would like to gently caress with the puppet and through the puppets voice and mannerisms. i do not know if this happened or if it is a tall tale, but it is really funny to think about.

whoa

Famine Poodle posted:

I hosed a puppet guy (more specifically a marionette guy) and he would get into this kind of flow where he said he just had to "listen" and he'd know what to do. And he'd say I was just like a puppet in how he could control me, which he seemed to be in to. That boy could get me off just by doing things like gently caressing my spine, it was nuts. And of course he would also tie me up sometimes because lol puppets. A+++ would recommend marionette guys.

:chanpop: wtf man

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

jfc

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.

Theatre fuckin owns.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Late 80's Wasserstein? Juicy
80's/90's David Ives? Amazing
Oedipus plays? Really good if you don't mind parsing archaic language and names you can't pronounce.

Also, theatre people are all obnoxious drunks.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

Late 80's Wasserstein? Juicy
80's/90's David Ives? Amazing
Oedipus plays? Really good if you don't mind parsing archaic language and names you can't pronounce.

Also, theatre people are all obnoxious drunks.

It's because we're sad.

A lot of us have a love/hate relationship with being alive.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Have Blue posted:

Theater is neat but if you keep going you're inevitably going to run up against theater people and then you'll befriend some of them and then your dreams are haunted by a never ending stream of acapella Disney songs

Freshman year of college I was in a peer group and in the same dorm section with a bunch of theater kids and this is still 100% true. A capella versions of "Be Our Guest" and "Let It Go" still haunt my dreams. :smithicide:

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here's my favorite Shakespeare quote

quote:

All the world's a soda,
And all the men and women merely drinkers;
They have their tabs and their caps,
And one man in his time drinks many root beers,
His drinks being seven beverages. At first, the Mug-fant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
Then the whining schoolboy, with his A&W
And shining ice cream float, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like wintergreen, with a woeful IBC
Made to his mistress' Faygo. Then a soldier,
Full of strange herbs and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in recipe, sudden and quick in barrel,
Seeking the bubble of Virgils
Even when the keg’s empty. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good Barq’s lined,
With eyes blood-lined and beard of formal cut,
Full of acacia and modern preservatives;
And so he gives us caffeine. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and Dad’s by side;
His youthful straw, well saved, a bottle too wide
For his shrunk shank, and his Big Daddy Size,
Turning again toward childish bubbles, foam
And licorice in his mouth. Last drink of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Hansen’s beer, Hansen’s foam, Hansen’s taste, Hansen’s Bite.

Harald fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 10, 2018

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

:bravo:

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

Y'all best be seeing this if it comes to your town.

https://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/events/past-events/cabaret/2017/hot-brown-honey.html

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I dated a ballerina and always wanted to take her to go see the nutcracker but never got the chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

Magius1337est posted:

I dated a ballerina and always wanted to take her to go see the nutcracker but never got the chance

Sadist.

• Locked thread