Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Cuddles
Jul 18, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

How in the world would you even enforce that?

dont allow anyone to go to alabama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Real talk who will be the first non-power conference school to make the playoff in our generation?

It's so unlikely without the playoff expanding. Every P5 conference would have to have no better than what, a 3 loss team? Sort of hard to imagine.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Real talk who will be the first non-power conference school to make the playoff in our generation?

georgia southern

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah it probably is Notre Dame. The playoff is like rolling a 20 sided dice. You only get 20 schools who qualify each and every year regardless of record.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Zerilan posted:

The only way other teams will ever actually get a shot is if some degree of parity is somehow enforced in recruiting.

Hmm yes let's force 18 year olds to go to school they don't want to so Idaho or whoever can be better at football thats definitely not weird or gross

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

SourKraut posted:

I personally can’t wait for 20 years from now when it comes out that Bama was paying players all along and the NCAA hands down some neutered version of the Death Penalty post-Saban (that ultimately gets walked back a few years later).

they're Bama, they're never getting the death penalty, nor will any other CFB Great Power

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Dango Bango posted:

That safety hosed up so badly. There was literally no one else for him to cover

He is the Raheem Moore of college football... btw I still loving hate Raheem Moore for that play against Baltimore

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

App State

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Notre Dame is cheating though, all they have to do is have a one loss season, where the one loss is early in the season, and they'll almost certainly be in.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SourKraut posted:

I personally can’t wait for 20 years from now when it comes out that Bama was paying players all along and the NCAA hands down some neutered version of the Death Penalty post-Saban (that ultimately gets walked back a few years later).

paying players is good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

It's not going to happen until they expand the playoff to 8. I'd say UCF, USF, or Houston would be the best bets just statistically speaking.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Nobody (except Notre Dame)

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

MourningView posted:

paying players is good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Seaniqua posted:

Notre Dame is cheating though, all they have to do is have a one loss season, where the one loss is early in the season, and they'll almost certainly be in.

This is most P5 schools

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Godzilla07 posted:

they're Bama, they're never getting the death penalty, nor will any other CFB Great Power

It could come out that Saban literally rips out and eats the heart of a true freshman before every bowl game and they wouldn't get more than a slap on the wrist.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Saban: “this is the happiest I’ve ever been

also gently caress Jalen Hurts he can’t throw for poo poo”

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

MourningView posted:

Hmm yes let's force 18 year olds to go to school they don't want to so Idaho or whoever can be better at football thats definitely not weird or gross

What if you allow schools to pay players, but the amount a new recruit can earn is inversely proportional to the school’s record each year, and non-P5 schools can offer more?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SourKraut posted:

i hope our players are making some loving money and that they continue to do so

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SourKraut posted:

What if you allow schools to pay players, but the amount a new recruit can earn is inversely proportional to the school’s record each year, and non-P5 schools can offer more?

how about we just let everyone make whatever they can because salary caps are lame and anti labor

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
like as a native born lousianian i should be Rivals with falcons fans and georgia sports enthusiasts but holy poo poo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SourKraut posted:

unless players could get paid as much as they do in the NFL they'd still go to the top schools to get showcased the most for said NFL

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SourKraut posted:

Parity in college football is neither attainable nor desirable.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Liberty (for the fundie ratings)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MourningView posted:

paying players is good

I agree if it’s fully open and everyone does it. I fully believe some programs pay on the side quietly currently though. But yeah, make it legal to do so.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Or some other form of incentives/extra scholarships inversely proportional to the school's record or revenue or average recruiting ranking over past X years or whatever.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

MourningView posted:

This is most P5 schools

I should have been more clear. When I said "cheating" I was referring specifically to the original question - which non-P5 school will be the first to make the playoff? It's almost certainly ND because they're, for all intents and purposes, a P5 school.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

General Dog posted:

Parity in college football is neither attainable nor desirable.

It is actually desirable

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MourningView posted:

how about we just let everyone make whatever they can because salary caps are lame and anti labor

We live in an anti labor country.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
why would you even start watching college football if you wanted parity it's always been like five schools trading titles

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

SourKraut posted:

or kids could go where they want and if they are getting paid under or over the table who gives a poo poo?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SourKraut posted:

We live in an anti labor country.

yeah that's loving bad though not something we should aspire to

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

MourningView posted:

why would you even start watching college football if you wanted parity it's always been like five schools trading titles

why ever dream of a better world

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Lessail posted:

It is actually desirable

no it isn't, parity sucks

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Seaniqua posted:

teams that don't win their division shouldn't be in the playoffs

This annoys me too, just in general. I believe Alabama deserved their playoff spot if we're looking for the best resumes for the record, but just in general I hate that whoever loses a conference championship game is often jumped over for a better bowl/whatever by someone they beat out in their own division.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Lessail posted:

how would college football parity make the world better?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

RIP college football 2017 :smith:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i dream of a world where my team's players can walk around waving money in dumb fratboy faces

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lessail posted:

I'm sorry unlv sucks but it's not Alabama's fault

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Emron posted:

Notre Dame