Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

G-Hawk posted:

memorializing the high point of the 2017 college football season on the first page

This is also what put Bama in the playoff lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

blugu64 posted:

Also let me be the first to say that 2018-2019, Texas is Back!!!!!

This but forreal. We will get our revenge on bama soon and take over the world

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Kendrick lamar was cool

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

MourningView posted:

This is also what put Bama in the playoff lol

worth

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I really am curious to see where Hurts ends up. No way he sees another snap at Bama again. He's a good kid but he is not a good passer at all.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

Joey Freshwater posted:

I have UGA friends that are putting this loss squarely on the refs and it’s just so sad.

Like yeah there were two calls that I can specifically think of that maybe could have been a no call/called the other way but they didn’t make/break the game. Bama went on a 20-3 run with a freshman QB that UGA had prepared exactly 0% for and got beat.

I dont know why blaming it on the refs is somehow preferable.

They aren't real UGA fans. Real fan's expected the inevitable bed making GBS threads and were too drunk to care about missed penalties.

Great game...Tua and Najee, holy poo poo ya'll.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Emron posted:

UGA fans blaming refs is kind of a trend. There were some egregiously bad calls in that game, but it’s not really the refs fault that outside of one broken play, UGA basically stopped moving the ball entirely in the second half.

UGA lost the game when, desperately needing a first down or two from midway through the 3rd quarter on, they kept battering Chubb into Bama's defensive front over and over and over and getting nothing. It was like watching '16 UGA again. Granted, that team was doing that against Vandy and Nicholls and this one was doing it in the national championship game, but: ugh.

That said, the refs botched the offsides call on the punt block and missed a pretty terrible facemask. Those are things that happened. UGA was up 13 at that point and if they put more points on the board, who knows. Concerning the trend, in the Auburn SECCG, that pick play call was the worst call I saw all season long. A UGA WR was pushed by an Auburn DB into another Auburn DB and they called a pick, for gently caress's sake. And then they one-upped it by calling the Dawgs for chop blocking when a RB...fell over and...didn't even touch anyone. Brilliance!

But on the whole the Georgia refereeing experience is worlds better than it was when Penn Wagers was stalking the field, or when the SEC was still giving Marcy Marc Curles primetime games.

TL;DR: UGA fans are frustrated, with some justification, but not enough for the game outcome to be in doubt.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

pillsburysoldier posted:

Kendrick lamar was cool

If it helps, he inspired a lot of that vaguely kind-of-racist dismissal that white people use exclusively for rappers from a few of the more “name your kid McKaylee” types I know from Bama.

What I mean is the like “Who is this buffoon on my tv? Why is he dressed as a clown? Is this noise supposed to be music?” stuff. He had a great halftime show and brought some small measure of suffering to hateful, spiteful people.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Emron posted:

If it helps, he inspired a lot of that vaguely kind-of-racist dismissal that white people use exclusively for rappers from a few of the more “name your kid McKaylee” types I know from Bama.

What I mean is the like “Who is this buffoon on my tv? Why is he dressed as a clown? Is this noise supposed to be music?” stuff. He had a great halftime show and brought some small measure of suffering to hateful, spiteful people.

Oh god yes, those comments were everywhere. You could almost visualize them pulling up their hoods so they could type better.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I'm asking this in all sincerity. Would the Bama fans here agree that other teams turn into loving idiots almost every time Bama is on the ropes? I'm not saying Saban isn't a great coach and I'm not being salty about it, I'm genuinely flummoxed at this point. The way UGA had that game by the balls so many times and hosed up every time broke my brain. I'm beyond salt at this point. It's not there. I'm just shrugging.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

I really am curious to see where Hurts ends up. No way he sees another snap at Bama again. He's a good kid but he is not a good passer at all.

He’s gonna take the Lane Train to FAU, baby

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So I'm asking this in all sincerity. Would the Bama fans here agree that other teams turn into loving idiots almost every time Bama is on the ropes? I'm not saying Saban isn't a great coach and I'm not being salty about it, I'm genuinely flummoxed at this point. The way UGA had that game by the balls so many times and hosed up every time broke my brain. I'm beyond salt at this point. It's not there. I'm just shrugging.

I didn't want to say this earlier because it would be too quickly dismissed but, well, UGA hired a Beamer and everyone here should know that DNA is never destined to win it all.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They’ll probably still be good after Saban but literally nobody they hire will match his run.

Dabo Swinney is a Bama alum.

The AD Bama hired a year or so ago was hired with one goal: get Dabo once Saban retires.

It may take 10m/y, 12m/y, 15m/y, but Bama will get what they want.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The "everyone done fucks up when they play the Tide" theory doesn't quite work when you consider that 1) Bama is really good, of course; and 2) Bama missed a super-easy FG that would've won the game in regulation

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

The "everyone done fucks up when they play the Tide" theory doesn't quite work when you consider that 1) Bama is really good, of course; and 2) Bama missed a super-easy FG that would've won the game in regulation

Two. Two super easy FGs. Did I mention that kicker should like give Tua his car or something because if Bama lost his dog was probably going to wind up dead tomorrow?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think it’s a combination of the stakes that generally come with Bama games, combined with Bama’s almost unholy ability to capitalize on mistakes, that there’s virtually no margin for error and any small mistakes get really magnified because they all end up being consequential.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

No. Getting out coached or outplayed in key series isn't the opposing team turning stupid it's just the difference between making plays or not.

Coach Saban is one of the greatest because he puts his guys in situations that they can be successful, be it good play calling or incredible adjustments. The little things, which were pointed out on the film room stream, add up through the course of a game.

Georgia did not set themselves up for success in the second half. Play calling went super conservative even though the bama secondary was gassed. Bama is deep enough that this slowdown by Georgia allowed the defense to rotate out some dudes and rest up for the end of the game. That's just good coaching.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

1 is granted. 2 kinda reinforces my point.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

Two. Two super easy FGs. Did I mention that kicker should like give Tua his car or something because if Bama lost his dog was probably going to wind up dead tomorrow?

My friend called Tua “the Greek bailout” because of this and it’s legitimately the funniest cfb joke I have seen in years

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

It bears repeating that South Carolina is the last SEC East team to beat Alabama.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fluffdaddy posted:

No. Getting out coached or outplayed in key series isn't the opposing team turning stupid it's just the difference between making plays or not.

Coach Saban is one of the greatest because he puts his guys in situations that they can be successful, be it good play calling or incredible adjustments. The little things, which were pointed out on the film room stream, add up through the course of a game.

Georgia did not set themselves up for success in the second half. Play calling went super conservative even though the bama secondary was gassed. Bama is deep enough that this slowdown by Georgia allowed the defense to rotate out some dudes and rest up for the end of the game. That's just good coaching.

Them repeatedly running Chubb right into the Bama line is stupid, sorry.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

At this point I’d accept a decade of USC dominance if it broke Alabama’s stranglehold (I hate USC)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Extremely agreed

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Played not to lose instead of to win in the second half. Not sure why the gently caress we stopped passing and kept running up the gut.

Between the falcons and this game I may need a break from football.

I loving hate sports.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

C. Everett Koop posted:

Dabo Swinney is a Bama alum.

The AD Bama hired a year or so ago was hired with one goal: get Dabo once Saban retires.

It may take 10m/y, 12m/y, 15m/y, but Bama will get what they want.

Dabo is not going to win 5 titles in 10 years at Bama and neither is anyone else. Whoever Bama gets next the one sure thing is that they will be less successful than the most successful college football coach ever.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

Played not to lose instead of to win in the second half. Not sure why the gently caress we stopped passing and kept running up the gut.

Between the falcons and this game I may need a break from football.

I loving hate sports.

It just occurred to me that since there aren’t any professional sports teams in Alabama, someone born/living there could only be a fan of Alabama and never know disappointment. Must be a hard life.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Like Fluffdaddy I'm agreeing with most of what you said except you yourself said UGA didn't set themselves up for success. This is factually accurate. But HOW do you gently caress that up so many times in so many situations in a game you mostly dominated?

I'm not saying Bama had nothing to do with its own success. I'm just saying Georgia did too and it baffles me ESPECIALLY since Smart is a Saban protege.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Them repeatedly running Chubb right into the Bama line is stupid, sorry.

Remember when the Falcons lost the Super Bowl and everyone blamed it on them not running the ball. Somehow fans always have the obvious answers.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Earlier in the game people were mad at them for not just running every play

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Remember when the Falcons lost the Super Bowl and everyone blamed it on them not running the ball. Somehow fans always have the obvious answers.

Right, we did run Chubb into the line too much but my other solution is "have Jake gun it more" or "hope Sony/Swift can outrun Bama to the edge," it's all up in the air, really.

Crotch Bat posted:

One small consolation for the Dawgs is that Rodrigo Blankenship solidified himself as a drat beast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean yeah you should probably tailor your criticism to the team rather than a generic statement applied to all teams.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

SourKraut posted:

At this point I’d accept a decade of USC dominance if it broke Alabama’s stranglehold (I hate USC)

Dan Mullen and Florida will break Saban inshallah

https://twitter.com/PickSixPreviews/status/950615943729868801

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

SourKraut posted:

don't say things you can't unsay

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Except even running Michel might have worked. He got through the line a lot by being shifty. Also UGA was up 13. Atlanta was up 25. They're not the same thing.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

uga should have run the ball more in the 2nd half, imo

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

G-Hawk posted:

don't say things you can't unsay

At least the Pete Carroll teams had fun/etc. Saban is just a robot.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

SourKraut posted:

At least the Pete Carroll teams had fun/etc. Saban is just a robot.

the only fun part was when vince young (our lord and savior) happened

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

SourKraut posted:

Nothing, absolutely nothing is worse then this. A century of Alabama championships would not be as bad as an iota of success for USC.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

G-Hawk posted:

the only fun part was when vince young (our lord and savior) happened

The fun part was that no SEC teams were involved in that NC.

Edit:

Nervous posted:

Nothing, absolutely nothing is worse then this. A century of Alabama championships would not be as bad as an iota of success for USC.
I’d be ok with Washington dominance too but the Huskies can’t not choke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Btw the defense is also to blame. How many times did Bama run that sideline route and the first dude would just watch and loving whiff the tackle?

• Locked thread