Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SourKraut posted:

At this point I’d accept a decade of USC dominance if it broke Alabama’s stranglehold (I hate USC)

:hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
UGA ran Chubb entirely too often to virtually no effect whatsoever but Michel was super effective and too sparingly used later in the game. Someone got way too sentimental with the playcalls.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

UGA ran Chubb entirely too often to virtually no effect whatsoever but Michel was super effective and too sparingly used later in the game. Someone got way too sentimental with the playcalls.

I'm saying! It's not just me saying they should have passed. It's also the runs they called.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Carroll USC teams were loving rad

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean yeah you should probably tailor your criticism to the team rather than a generic statement applied to all teams.

“The team ran too much/not enough” isn’t uniquely tailored criticism, it’s saying “the thing they did made them lose, they should have done the opposite and they’d have won!”

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I want a gif of some UGA fan saying “we need to pass the drat ball” now

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

SourKraut posted:

The fun part was that no SEC teams were involved in that NC.

Edit:

I’d be ok with Washington dominance too but the Huskies can’t not choke.

Hey now, we were defending conference champions and playoff participants last season.

We just can't play in Arizona, and our QB is shook when he sees anything resembling a pass rush and has a god-awful arm. We might be favorites to win the conference next year but that'll be about it.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Saban will be poisoned by Russian agents to throw our world further into chaos

The race to the top will leave many in its wake and the traditional powers will carry out vicious attacks on each other

Hail xort and hail chaos

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I feel that not only is Super Bowl LI bad for gift-wrapping another title to the Patriots, but it's bad because it broke our analysis brains. Now any blown lead, even one as (shrug) as 13 points, has to be because some LOSER completely hosed UP.

UGA did an unsuccessful thing a few too many times but also did some cool stuff on offense too and Bama was the better team eventually. Eh.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Emron posted:

I want a gif of some UGA fan saying “we need to pass the drat ball” now

There’s an alternate universe out there where this thread has a bunch of people complaining that Georgia kept passing the ball when up by 13 with a quarter and a half left, instead of letting their all world running backs go to work.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s an alternate universe out there where this thread has a bunch of people complaining that Georgia kept passing the ball when up by 13 with a quarter and a half left, instead of letting their all world running backs go to work.

That alternate universe is populated by my angry posts from last year’s NCG

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You are being really obnoxious, disingenuous, and actively ignoring some of the actual points people are making. There's more nuance to it than what you're suggesting.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

I feel that not only is Super Bowl LI bad for gift-wrapping another title to the Patriots, but it's bad because it broke our analysis brains. Now any blown lead, even one as (shrug) as 13 points, has to be because some LOSER completely hosed UP.

UGA did an unsuccessful thing a few too many times but also did some cool stuff on offense too and Bama was the better team eventually. Eh.

i think if a team goes into the 4th with the ball and up 10, they should probably win, and if they do not, its hard to say they didn't gently caress up something, especially given they were even gifted a 2nd chance from the hooked field goal

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you know, we are going to get an Early Cuyler take after all

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah, I mean, UGA lacked some situational awareness in this game for sure. But Chubb and Michel were one of the best running back tandems this sport has ever seen, so of course they were gonna get their carries. No one could tackle those fuckers all season and they were the biggest reason UGA made it this far. It's hard to get mad at the staff for trying to make it work, especially when you consider how stubborn and conservative football coaches usually are.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

I think the idea was to burn the clock, which is a good call expect they were not ready for Tua to be so explosive.

I think Alabama came out in the second half and played a much more conservative defense with less dangerous rushes which also made Georgia run the ball more since the coverage down field was a lot better.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
UGA 2nd half (not OT):

Chubb - 8 runs, 5 yards

Michel - 6 runs, 37 yards

They should have figured out the hot hand early and rode Michel, he had one good drive at the end of the 3rd where Bama couldn't stop him then they switched off to Chubb, he got stuffed, they had to pass and Bama got the coverage sack. Chubb had 25 total yards and his best two runs were both because of poor 1st downs which put them in deep yardage for 2nd down and caused the D to play the pass, leaving easier running lanes. Whenever Chubb got the ball and Bama knew it was run he got killed.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I think the idea was to burn the clock, which is a good call expect they were not ready for Tua to be so explosive.

I think Alabama came out in the second half and played a much more conservative defense with less dangerous rushes which also made Georgia run the ball more since the coverage down field was a lot better.

Michel had no negative yardage plays, like half of Chubb's carries were negative or zero yardage. There is an enormous disparity between the two and no reason they couldn't have continued to run Michel, especially since Bama couldn't stop him. Killing the clock is fine but you need to chain first downs and they kept giving it to the wrong back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

“The team ran too much/not enough” isn’t uniquely tailored criticism, it’s saying “the thing they did made them lose, they should have done the opposite and they’d have won!”

Well yeah that's just common sense.

Hindsight but still I don't see your issue.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

UGA 2nd half (not OT):

Chubb - 8 runs, 5 yards

Michel - 6 runs, 37 yards

They should have figured out the hot hand early and rode Michel, he had one good drive at the end of the 3rd where Bama couldn't stop him then they switched off to Chubb, he got stuffed, they had to pass and Bama got the coverage sack. Chubb had 25 total yards and his best two runs were both because of poor 1st downs which put them in deep yardage for 2nd down and caused the D to play the pass, leaving easier running lanes. Whenever Chubb got the ball and Bama knew it was run he got killed.

Michel had no negative yardage plays, like half of Chubb's carries were negative or zero yardage. There is an enormous disparity between the two and no reason they couldn't have continued to run Michel, especially since Bama couldn't stop him. Killing the clock is fine but you need to chain first downs and they kept giving it to the wrong back.

Well yea but the dude was clutch all season so they aren't going to just stop using him in the middle of the game. This isn't like a Hurts situation where he was throwing up the red flags all season and everyone wanted to see Tua play. Chubb is a great back and it's hard to cut him out of the game plan if 3 or 4 carries weren't looking so hot.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
College football was cool this year. We beat two Pac 12 teams in a row and went to our 8th straight bowl game and got to see Rashaad Penny look awesome.

I was sad when Ronnie Hillman left and then I was sad when Adam Muema left and then I was sad when Donnell Pumphrey left and now I'm sad that Penny is leaving and I hope Juwan Washington makes me feel this same way next year. SDSU is pumping out amazing college RBs and I don't know how or why.

Rocky Long is boring but consistent and we always run the drat ball.

Go Aztecs

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So I'm asking this in all sincerity. Would the Bama fans here agree that other teams turn into loving idiots almost every time Bama is on the ropes? I'm not saying Saban isn't a great coach and I'm not being salty about it, I'm genuinely flummoxed at this point. The way UGA had that game by the balls so many times and hosed up every time broke my brain. I'm beyond salt at this point. It's not there. I'm just shrugging.

Not an Alabama fan so I only really watch them in bowl games but they've basically poo poo housed every team they've beat this decade except for tonight and the Clemson win, no? Both Clemson games could have gone either way really.

I dunno how you could say the other team has a tendency to blow games when the games aren't even close. Alabama is and has been that much better than other teams.

If you want to say Georgia blew it tonight then I think that's fair but waving away other one sided wins is kind of stupid.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Alabama learned from its defeat at the hands of Cardale Jones, and adopted the strategy of having a backup play out of his mind. Such is the genius of the Nick Saban Megaman Secret Ultimate Technique.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Fluffdaddy posted:

Well yea but the dude was clutch all season so they aren't going to just stop using him in the middle of the game. This isn't like a Hurts situation where he was throwing up the red flags all season and everyone wanted to see Tua play. Chubb is a great back and it's hard to cut him out of the game plan if 3 or 4 carries weren't looking so hot.

He was consistently stuffed all game, Michel ran wild, that 4th quarter should have been all Michel at that point. Halftime or something, no, obviously not but at some point it should have been more obvious. It wasn't even up for debate, one of them was clearly better the entire time and torturing Bama on the stretch plays. It wasn't necessarily Chubb's fault, Da'Ron Payne completely dominated the middle by himself and demanded constant doubles but when UGA went away from him they had success after success.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dabo wont replace Saban

Dabo will be the guy that replaces the guy that replaced Saban

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

What if Saban retires and is replaced...by Gruden

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Emron posted:

What if Saban retires and is replaced...by Gruden

Can the state of Alabama refinance the entirety of their economy to afford Gruden's $1 billion contract?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

Can the state of Alabama refinance the entirety of their economy to afford Gruden's $1 billion contract?

I honestly kind of hope Gruden finally does go to some college and then sucks rear end

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The galaxy brain opinion on the next Bama coach continues to be Kiffin in his guise of Joey Freshwater

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

He was consistently stuffed all game, Michel ran wild, that 4th quarter should have been all Michel at that point. Halftime or something, no, obviously not but at some point it should have been more obvious. It wasn't even up for debate, one of them was clearly better the entire time and torturing Bama on the stretch plays. It wasn't necessarily Chubb's fault, Da'Ron Payne completely dominated the middle by himself and demanded constant doubles but when UGA went away from him they had success after success.

All of the talk about what Georgia did completely ignores what Bama was doing, and it seems pointless to talk about what the offense should have done without looking at what the defense was doing on those same series that might have influenced the play calls.

Also, Michel had a 3rd and 2 carry about midway through the 4th quarter and got a single yard, so it’s not like he was automatic. Without a passing game it’s real hard to keep a drive alive against Bama no matter who you run in which direction.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

All of the talk about what Georgia did completely ignores what Bama was doing, and it seems pointless to talk about what the offense should have done without looking at what the defense was doing on those same series that might have influenced the play calls.

Also, Michel had a 3rd and 2 carry about midway through the 4th quarter and got a single yard, so it’s not like he was automatic. Without a passing game it’s real hard to keep a drive alive against Bama no matter who you run in which direction.

Why would you cherrypick one carry and ignore everything else. Michel had like 3 carries of 10+ yards in the 4th. Bama was impossible to run against up the middle, they remained vulnerable to stretch plays all game, thus Michel succeeded more than Chubb. I'm not saying Chubb was a lovely back, I'm saying he wasn't going to work during this particular game and UGA should have figured that out by the 4th.

e:

Chubb runs in total: 18
Chubb runs of 1 or fewer yards: 10

Michel runs in total: 14
Michel runs of 1 or fewer yards: 2 (no negative yardage plays)

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 9, 2018

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

At least 2018 is proving to be just as lovely already as 2017 was!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Dabo is not going to win 5 titles in 10 years at Bama and neither is anyone else. Whoever Bama gets next the one sure thing is that they will be less successful than the most successful college football coach ever.

well yeah but the goal is to go from joe montana to steve young per say

i mean if the bar is win the title every other year then no one's gonna succeed, but if the goal is win .800 if your games and keep us in the conversation then Dabo will have a good long run

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Why would you cherrypick one carry and ignore everything else. Michel had like 3 carries of 10+ yards in the 4th. Bama was impossible to run against up the middle, they remained vulnerable to stretch plays all game, thus Michel succeeded more than Chubb. I'm not saying Chubb was a lovely back, I'm saying he wasn't going to work during this particular game and UGA should have figured that out by the 4th.

Well he only had four carries in the 4th, for 13, 10, 5 and 1 yard, so it ain’t a huge sample size. The longest carry was a run up the middle.

But again, instead is it possible that there’s an answer that isn’t “the Georgia coaches are incompetent and don’t understand football at a basic level?”

Maybe Michel doesn’t have the stamina or durability to be used as a workhorse back or maybe he can’t pass block or...

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
guys youll never believe it

i called nick on my red phone at halftime. i said nick. listen. you gotta play stuart tangalonga. you gotta play him. hes too good to be on the bench. we got nothin to lose.

and by god,

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

amazing that Tua did so well despite the language barrier, truly an inspirational story

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Well he only had four carries in the 4th, for 13, 10, 5 and 1 yard, so it ain’t a huge sample size. The longest carry was a run up the middle.

But again, instead is it possible that there’s an answer that isn’t “the Georgia coaches are incompetent and don’t understand football at a basic level?”

Maybe Michel doesn’t have the stamina or durability to be used as a workhorse back or maybe he can’t pass block or...

This was the 2nd highest number of carries for both backs. Believe it or not 8 other teams held Michel to a smaller YPC than Bama meanwhile this was Chubb's worst performance of the year and the only other team who came close to making him look this bad was Auburn.

Point is, there was not a turning point in this game where Chubb or Michel got better or worse except maybe a bit of the first quarter where Chubb wasn't getting quite so eaten up. Michel torched Bama repeatedly all game long, Chubb was entirely ineffective all game long.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

This must make it so much worse for older Georgia fans.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The two best plays of the game came from two true freshman QBs just ripping amazing passes for TDs.

Spacebump posted:

This must make it so much worse for older Georgia fans.

Older UGA fans have Herschel Walker and a national title, they're fine.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

D.N. Nation posted:

I'd have to really see the breakdown but my gut sense was that Sony Michel looked like Georgia's best player and didn't get the ball enough, and those Wildcat possessions seemed too conservative.

The biggest coaching mistake in that game was the part where Bama almost lost the national championship because they didn't give their best QB meaningful minutes until they were down 2 TDs in the second half of the last game of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
by the way tua in the postgame described in detail what his read of the coverage was (it was right) and how he looked off the safety to the other side of the field

yall are hosed :twisted:

• Locked thread