Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I have UGA friends that are putting this loss squarely on the refs and it’s just so sad.

Like yeah there were two calls that I can specifically think of that maybe could have been a no call/called the other way but they didn’t make/break the game. Bama went on a 20-3 run with a freshman QB that UGA had prepared exactly 0% for and got beat.

I dont know why blaming it on the refs is somehow preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Well that's an interesting development. I know for next season, Browning will play it out. But after that, I have no idea. We just signed to recruits for quarterback, I wonder if Petersen is planning to play them in different positions.

Well he only has 2 years left of eligibility since Kirby burned his opportunity for a medical redshirt this year. So I would assume it would be a QB battle this year with Browning, next year Eason would be the starter and then leave, opening it up for your QB recruits of this year to take over.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

So Mizzou is going to score approximately 800 points a game next year and give up 900, right?

Lol derek dooley

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

:laffo: they replaced Josh Heupel with Derek Dooley? I don't think he's ever called plays but on what loving planet does replacing the guy who ran Missouri's frankly bonkers offense with Derek Dooley make sense?

Jim Chaney was Dooley's OC/QB coach and called plays.

...im not entirely sure what it was that Dooley did

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Tennessee safety Todd Kelly Jr. had some kinda drunken fight with girlfriend slash general freakout and ... fell 30 feet off a wall? Knee injury.

And of course Jimmy Hyams was immediately saying it was a suicide attempt which A) people connected to it are saying it’s not and B) if it was what the hell man, that’s not some breaking news poo poo that you jump at the chance to report.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TreyW_Radio/status/953001003443478528?s=17

Hell yeah. Never should have let an outgoing staff boot him, glad to see they got something worked out

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dormady going to finish his degree and grad transfer out of Tennessee.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

The official story on that one is that he showed up to practice, demanded to play QB, was turned down, then left practice to smoke weed in his dorm? I have that right? Because that was great.

I dont know how official it is because I’ve only heard that in rumors. The “official” story is he posted on instagram a video ranting about how garbage the coaches were and they were “lying rear end coaches” and that’s what got him booted.

Supposedly before that, as reported by Jimmy Hyams (so take it for what it’s worth) was the demanded to play QB story.

I doubt we’ll get the full story but maybe he was told he could play QB in the wake of Dormady and Guarantano being hurt and when he got to practice they backed off it. He was recruited and signed as a QB so it wasn’t completely random that he wanted to play QB.

e: For reference Jimmy Hyams was the one reporting that we’d hired Jeff Brohm when we hadn’t even talked to him at that point.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 16, 2018

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Tennessee is probably going to start a redshirt freshman in JT Shrout next year, so having Jennings back would be huge.

There is no way Shrout starts over Guarantano and if he does G will burn the school down.

Guarantano played his rear end off last year while also getting his rear end kicked and deserves every opportunity to start.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm super glad that social media wasn't a thing when I was growing up.

Not because I was racist or anything but just because I was your general dumbass kid and I'm happy none of that is floating around the internet. I wore JNCOs and had frosted tips for christsake

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Incoherence posted:

Same reason I'm super glad that most of my teenage shitposting vanished along with the rest of AOL's walled garden.

I had a Xanga where my tagline was a quote from a Fall Out Boy song. As far as I can tell it's not there anymore

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No Clemson - Syracuse?

I agree that the GA Southern loss was great because of that statline but Syracuse beating Clemson was pretty good too.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tennessee is definitely Phil but General Neyland and Johnny Majors are up there too.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Raider posted:

If Phil would've bowed out in roughly 03-04, it would be him no doubt. His last few years muddy the waters.

I'll give you the last year but the two years before that Tennessee ended the season ranked with 9 and 10 wins.

5 wins the year before that

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Mack Brown will be remembered fondly - he was very close to having 3 titles - as an 03-07 UT student, I love the dude

Edit: WTF is a Saban hat?

What does Mack Brown have to do with you being a Tennessee student?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

drat you I was going to say that.

Bama good at basketball now?

Tennessee good too

Wow that feels weird to say and know it’s true

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
SEC SEC SEC

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

:lol: covering Tennessee

It could be a really big day or a huge wet fart

guess which one I'm expecting

e: To be fair Pruitt came in with a class ranked in the 70s and right now it's at 19. Could get up to top 10 with the guys we're looking at for commits. That's pretty drat impressive.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 2, 2018

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

$10 says ESPN's at Tennessee exclusively because they want to get Fulmer in front of a mic and camera.

I would have thought it was so they could drive the coaching search into the ground some more but yeah Phil is great on camera. Also take a shot every time you hear Pruitt say "Aight"

Manoueverable posted:

Honestly I know gently caress-all about recruiting but this is apparently one of our best classes ever and includes the first 5* Petersen has ever signed.

Real excited to see the damage he can do with this level of talent given what he's already done. That said, I saw I think a sportswriter posted on Twitter that he put a cheeky bet on us to win the natty next year and uh :stare:

It's a good class but who is the 5*? 247 has you guys with a buttload of 4*s

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Season/2018-Football/Commits

The impressive thing here is that your entire class is all already signed their LOI or is an EE. There's only one commit that hasn't done either, but will likely fax his LOI in on National Signing day. I don't follow Washington recruiting at all but there might be some other guys that are waiting to commit that you're going after, so the class still might not even be done. NSD is on Wednesday.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 2, 2018

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manoueverable posted:

IIRC the articles I saw said that Kaho was a 5* but I guess I was wrong on that one, whoops

So one thing that's ridiculous about recruiting is that one site can have a guy a 5* and the other a 4*. 247 has him ranked as a 5* but the other sites have him as a 4* (Rivals & ESPN). The cool thing about 247 is they do a composite ranking of their grade plus the other two sites, so you get a better general idea of where they're ranked. This guy's composite ranking is 4* but he's close to a 5. IMO 247 is far and away the best at rankings and coverage, so I think it's fair to consider him a 5.

At the end of the day it when its that close it doesn't really matter. A coach can bring in a ton of 5* but if he doesn't develop them then what's the point? I don't have any doubt Peterson will have any problems getting the most out of these guys.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sup 35 in 5 months buddies

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember the first cell phone I had boasted that it could hold information for 15 entire contacts!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

I had to write one for the first time in years when i bought my first house and it legit took me a good couple of minutes to remember how to fill it out

I've been looking for a new place lately and had to give them a check for the application fees and legit could not find a check. I can't remember the last time I wrote one. I wound up having to go to the bank and get a cashier's check.

All my rental stuff is done online.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Is this a reference I should understand?

Manas made that steak in the edit.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MichaelWBratton/status/963101221048475648?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

🎼one of these things, is not like the other, one of these things, doesn’t belong!🎼

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Don't say that. Tennessee has a good roster this year

Yeah I know - it's not like we're totally devoid of talent and they're basing this off of strictly average of past four recruiting classes, but not schedule, new coach, or literally anything else.

I still laughed when I saw Tennessee being talked about in regard to making the CFP.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In something that's a little bit of a surprise, Robert Gillespie is stepping down as RB coach at UT. I can't imagine it's anything bad, he seems like a good dude. My guess is either the NFL or Florida came calling, which makes sense since I don't think UF has a RB coach.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

I mean if we're being honest Georgia or Tennessee are the ones winning the East this year.

You really think Florida doesn't have a shot at it?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

That sucks, he was a great recruiter. Probably the odd man out with a new staff coming in. Was hoping they would find a way to keep him.

I think that was the plan, which is why I said someone gave him a better offer. He left, he wasn't let go, so say all the initial reports.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FWIW with our inexperience on the offense and our schedule, I seriously doubt we even sniff the East and that’s assuming UGA doesn’t do as well as they did this past year.

Defense I think will be fine, I have no loving clue what the offense is doing.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Given both were an absolute tire fire last year I don't know how you can have belief any part of the team will be much better than not a trash fire.

Well the whole thing we went through of bringing new coaches on got me thinkin that it might be a little different/better. Call me crazy.

I would assume the offense would be somewhat improved just based on the fact we’ll have healthy bodies on the OL. By the end of the year they were running a converted TE out as a tackle.

There’s talent on both sides of the ball. Butch was actually a good recruiter, he just couldn’t do poo poo with the kids when they got to Knoxville. I dont think it’s crazy to think that at the very least Pruitt/Sherrer can do a better job with the defense than Butch/Shoop (and Hoke).

Raku posted:

Honestly South Carolina has as much of a shot as Florida or Tennessee this year

I think it’ll be UGA, USCe, UF, UK, UT, Vandy, in that order. Our schedule is brutal.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

So which is it? We'll be improved or we're still going to be scraping for a bowl game at the bottom of the division?

These things aren’t mutually exclusive. We only won four games and none in the division last year. 6-7 wins and a bowl game would be a huge improvement.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stupidly optimistic? Are you even reading anything I've said? Did you watch any of the games last year? We beat Umass, Indiana State, Southern Miss and Ga Tech (and almost lost that one). We got trounced by Vandy and Mizzou and blanked by UGA at home. Yes, 6-7 wins and a bowl would be a huge improvement over that.

The conversation was kicked off by an article that pointed out that Tennessee over the last four years has averaged top 15 recruiting classes, so yes there is talent on this team. It's been well noted that Butch & co. were not developing talent and there was way more going on behind the scenes than let on. If me thinking that Pruitt and the guys he brought in could potentially take that same talent and get them to 6-7 wins *at best* is stupidly optimistic, then hell I guess I am. But I don't think I am. Especially with the 2018 schedule:

West Virginia Toss-up (Charlotte) I don't know enough about WVU to call this one
ETSU Win (home game)
UTEP Win (home game)
Florida Toss-up (home game)
Georgia Loss
Auburn Loss
Alabama Loss (home game)
South Carolina Toss-up
Charlotte Win (home game)
Kentucky Win (home game)
Missouri Win (home game)
Vanderbilt Win

There, that would be 6 wins and a bowl and I don't think a crazy way to look at the season.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the mean lunch lady posted:

Love to be a fan of the apparently forgotten team in the SEC East that clowned half the division last season

I did say that Mizzou trounced us and Butch got fired after that game even though everyone in the building knew it was going to happen but your team also went 4-4 so maybe reel it in a little. But if you want to hang your hat on clowning UT (0-8), UF (3-5), and Vandy (1-7) then uh yeah ok I guess.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the mean lunch lady posted:

You forgot to even list Mizzou when saying what you thought would happen next season, but I was mostly talking about other posters.

Mizzou has Alabama for their other West team next year, but the only for sure loss in the SEC for them is Georgia.

You are right of course that nobody cares about Mizzou and they should have never been brought into the SEC.

Even though it’s been ~6 years I still have trouble remembering Mizzou is in the SEC when trying to remember schedules.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Please don't forget this team and program went 0-8 in SEC play last year. Lost to all 4 of the last 4 SEC opponents on that schedule and made it as ugly as possible along the way. You can say Butch put plenty of talent into the program that he didn't develop but I don't see it. You can point to ranking stars all you want the reality is a lot of those dudes just haven't been up to the billing and one off season as I've said probably won't magically fix it all. These guys have a lot of bad habits cooked in and that takes time to work out.

First point: I've said this already. Second point: what do you think "hasn't developed talent and other issues" means? You don't have to look any further than guys like Kamara to show Butch had no clue what to do or was too stubborn to change up his offense. Kid goes from being a backup in college to one of the best players in the NFL overnight. I also think Dobbs was a lot better than people gave him credit for for the same reasons. His best plays were where plays broke down and he was just winging it.

I'm not going to address the rest because it's arguing semantics and it's not worth it.

LLCoolJD posted:

What is the Vols' QB situation? Their QBs looked like rear end last year. I know that's rich coming from a Florida alum, but at least Mullen signed a good dual-threat prospect.

Guarantano who got his rear end kicked last year up and down the field, but he's a gamer. Our offensive line was held together by TEs playing Tackle, a couple of brooms and some bubble gum. It's probably not fair to judge his play simply because he was running for his life as soon as the ball was snapped.

Dormady transferred

Will McBride who is a sophomore, no idea what we have in him.

True freshman JT Shrout

They're looking around for a grad transfer QB but as of now it's Guarantano's spot to lose.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 14, 2018

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What in the world about "we have talent but butch didn't develop it" don't you get. Jesus man.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

What part of "just because a service rates you as some caliber player doesn't mean you actually are that caliber player" don't you get. Jesus man.

We don't have the horses. I don't care how many stars they had coming out of high school.

This is the dumbest thing you’ve said so far. That’s literally how you rate a player. That’s why there are those services, that’s why coaches go after them, because they see the same things those services scouts see.

Is your argument seriously that even though according to those services we’ve brought in talent, you’re saying that we actually don’t and somehow those services got it wrong on all of those kids that came to UT? Because....???

Kids get rated coming out of high school based on their talent level vs their peers. It’s up to college coaches to take those kids and coach them up to the next level. Butch could get the kids to come but he couldn’t coach them up. It’s as simple as that.

There is talent on this team, exactly how much remains to be seen, but the cupboard isn’t bare, not by any means.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So the kids are just supposed to be good on their own and no coaching or anything else have anything to do with it?

Not a bad coach, bad program, trouble in the classroom, locker room issues, none of that.

You’re seriously going to sit here and tell me that that class would have had the same result if Urban was the coach vs what Muschamp did with it?

Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nur_Neerg posted:

You're right, it's much more likely that the coaching staff is completely incapable of doing anything than that it's difficult to project what a 6'4" 200 pound high school kid who runs a 4.4 is going to do vs competition of the same caliber rather than the relative midgets they faced in high school.

fire all scouts imo

why is Bama even paying Saban what they are? Pretty clear teams don’t even need coaches

• Locked thread