Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

been hearing crickets on the resumes I've been sending out for staff level positions. definitely different than the 2020 experience, the explosive growth session i would call it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah its not the best time to be lookin for a software job rn

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

in conclusion interviews are bullshit

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i thought i heard it was picking up again. better than last year

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

barkbell posted:

i thought i heard it was picking up again. better than last year

i think its better but it still aint good

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah i'm sorry it's probably my fault. every time i've looked for a job before the market has been absolute garbage and it just so happens i've been without a job and low-key trying to get a new one for half a year now

hoping i might cross the fabled 6 figgies threshold this time now that i've got 15 years under my belt so this might take a couple more years of resume blasting. i'll let you all know once it's safe to do the ol' company payscale switcheroo again

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

KoRMaK posted:

been hearing crickets on the resumes I've been sending out for staff level positions. definitely different than the 2020 experience, the explosive growth session i would call it

i'm really hoping it's the fiscal year end slowing everyone down. budgets for head count still need to get approved and distributed. there's a reason i have started most of my previous jobs in May.

forgot to add i am now officially interviewing at the ex-employer. the recruiter was like, "oh hey long time no talk CEM!"

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 23, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Qu’elle soit extra ou ordinaire
Chaque vie finit d'la même manière
C'est la seule justice sur la Terre
Tous égaux dans le cimetière

An English version of this message will follow

MononcQc! Merci infiniment pour le template de CV latex que tu as partagé il y a un boute dans le fil, je suis certain qu'il m'a aidé à décrocher ma dernière job. J'étais dans une situation assez précaire grâce à une transition de carrière et me voilà, avec un rôle que je n'aurais même pas pu espérer. Si j'aimais tu te trouves dans le coin de notre jolie capitale nationale lance moi un message et je t'achète une bière, j'exigerais même pas d'être présent :)

---

MononcQC is a cool dude and his latex CV template helped me land a great job.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
imagine not only using proper capitalization in yospos, but full-on accents and poo poo. i mean, caliss

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
also i think i found said template from earlier in this thread and it does look neat so i'm grabbing a copy. thanks

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Qu’elle soit extra ou ordinaire
Chaque vie finit d'la même manière
C'est la seule justice sur la Terre
Tous égaux dans le cimetière

imagine not only using proper capitalization in yospos, but full-on accents and poo poo. i mean, caliss

chu pas du boute, pardonnez moi gang

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

digitalist posted:

An English version of this message will follow

MononcQc! Merci infiniment pour le template de CV latex que tu as partagé il y a un boute dans le fil, je suis certain qu'il m'a aidé à décrocher ma dernière job. J'étais dans une situation assez précaire grâce à une transition de carrière et me voilà, avec un rôle que je n'aurais même pas pu espérer. Si j'aimais tu te trouves dans le coin de notre jolie capitale nationale lance moi un message et je t'achète une bière, j'exigerais même pas d'être présent :)

---

MononcQC is a cool dude and his latex CV template helped me land a great job.

glad to know it might have helped. je vais être à Québec en fin mai pour une présentation au WaQ si jamais ça adonne, but I’m more of a tea/coffee guy than beer :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also i think i found said template from earlier in this thread and it does look neat so i'm grabbing a copy. thanks

if its not in the op quote so others can be lazy

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Put it in the OP.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
hey fig thread

i finished a bootcamp thing in feb (full stack webdev, a pretty comprehensive one with good reviews for what that's worth) and I'm doing the interview tango for the first time in ever, seeing as i've been a freelance film industry guy up until now. Just got rejected from what would have been an amazing job (small software company, interesting projects, local to me in Cornwall, UK) so I'm feeling kind of lovely as now everything else is either 1) in London, gently caress commuting for 4+ hours a few days a week or 2) remote, so I'm competing with every other dev in the country.

I don't think I expect words of encouragement from yospos but perhaps you could all tell me that i'm hosed, but maybe not quite as hosed as I worry?

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

occluded posted:

hey fig thread

i finished a bootcamp thing in feb (full stack webdev, a pretty comprehensive one with good reviews for what that's worth) and I'm doing the interview tango for the first time in ever, seeing as i've been a freelance film industry guy up until now. Just got rejected from what would have been an amazing job (small software company, interesting projects, local to me in Cornwall, UK) so I'm feeling kind of lovely as now everything else is either 1) in London, gently caress commuting for 4+ hours a few days a week or 2) remote, so I'm competing with every other dev in the country.

I don't think I expect words of encouragement from yospos but perhaps you could all tell me that i'm hosed, but maybe not quite as hosed as I worry?
It's not going to be super easy for you, I don't think Cornwall is precisely a tech hub. Have you considered moving somewhere else that isn't London? I live in Manchester and the job market isn't bad.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
like film, the touching industry sounds like it could be anywhere (and is, for senior peeps) but in fact is mostly in like 15 cities in the world. regrettably, london is the most important one within about a 3000 mile radius. hence, figgieland

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

interviews are like 30% how strong of a candidate you are and 70% other external factors you have no control over. You should expect to do lots of interviews before you land an actual job offer.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah. don't send out applications in small enough quantity that you give a poo poo about individual ones. dandelion seeds, not whale calves

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

but yeah either be where the jobs are or expect to have to do even more interviews

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i kind of doubt you're hosed all told, don't know the market in cornwall, but *lovely* tech jobs remain pretty common still afaik, and often they are lovely in a very tech-specific sense (e.g. they're usually not more soul-crushing than the "good" ones).

but obviously moving to london would be the thing otherwise.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

occluded posted:

hey fig thread

fwiw I did a career change into software development (with a completely different engineering degree and irrelevant job history) so my resume for my first entry level job was pretty crap, probably worse than yours since i didnt do a boot camp but just taught myself with whatever resources i could find, and i ended up sending around 300-400 applications, got a non-automated response for <5%, ended up only getting like 4-5 in-person interviews, before getting an offer for an entry level job

this was a while ago when the market is better than it is now (assuming the uk market is similar to the us market right now)

like bob dobbs said, it's all about volume, especially for entry/junior level jobs

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe
thanks all. We moved here after the pandemic and we have a nice place and a dog now so I'm not loving moving back to London. Will keep plugging away at stuff, something'll come up.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The Fool posted:

if its not in the op quote so others can be lazy

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845966&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=2#post490472500

also this version has a manual page break https://ferd.ca/cv/template.tex.txt

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

occluded posted:

thanks all. We moved here after the pandemic and we have a nice place and a dog now so I'm not loving moving back to London. Will keep plugging away at stuff, something'll come up.

the one thing I know about Cornwall is there is a software company called headforwards there that does pretty good work that would be worth speaking to. hopefully that wasn’t the one that knocked you back.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

occluded posted:

We just hired someone in February for a junior position (which I assume is what you're applying to). They were also fresh out of bootcamp. The advice I can give you is that 70% of what triggered the "yes" was their willingness to learn. For a junior position, we were looking for someone that had some drive to learn and to be molded into the industry, not after whatever they they know. The highest point of praise was how they asked and took feedback during their tech take-home review. Be inquisitive, be positive in the face of criticism, and keep emphasizing during interviews how much you're learning and are willing to learn, given the opportunity. Also, make sure that you have a github (or equivalent) of toy projects - bootcamp homework, little tools you made yourself or with colleagues, whatever, just put it there.

Remember, as a prospect junior you're getting tested based on whether or not the people that would mentor you consider you easy to work with and sharp, or a potential pain in the rear end. Keep at it, you'll get your foot in the door!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

there's a couple places that are okay for tech in the UK outside London, but really there aren't that many. Manchester, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol, maybe Leeds are the main ones, but London is just much bigger market even then

there's still a lot of various companies spread all over though, but it can be a bit of a lottery

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 25, 2024

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe

Armitag3 posted:

We just hired someone in February for a junior position (which I assume is what you're applying to). They were also fresh out of bootcamp. The advice I can give you is that 70% of what triggered the "yes" was their willingness to learn. For a junior position, we were looking for someone that had some drive to learn and to be molded into the industry, not after whatever they they know. The highest point of praise was how they asked and took feedback during their tech take-home review. Be inquisitive, be positive in the face of criticism, and keep emphasizing during interviews how much you're learning and are willing to learn, given the opportunity. Also, make sure that you have a github (or equivalent) of toy projects - bootcamp homework, little tools you made yourself or with colleagues, whatever, just put it there.

Remember, as a prospect junior you're getting tested based on whether or not the people that would mentor you consider you easy to work with and sharp, or a potential pain in the rear end. Keep at it, you'll get your foot in the door!

The bootcamp has really good post-graduation career support, but one of the things they strongly say is not to tell people you just did a bootcamp because you won't get past HR ('come back when you have more experience'). So i'm in the weird position of trying to pass off our graduation project (full-stack nextjs app for pet-sitters with realtime chat and a bunch of other features, that we built from scratch in two weeks) as some sort of startup thing that I'm moving on from;

which means I can't, at interview, say 'in august I knew nothing, then they made me rewrite lodash.js from scratch as an exercise before i started the course, now I know a bunch of poo poo that I picked up at screaming speed and I will continue to do that if you hire me and give me headpats'. it sucks, i'm bad at lying.

the cornwall guys genuinely wanted someone with more experience I think which is fair enough. they weren't headforwards, I hadn't heard of them yet so thanks for the rec!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

this networking engineer technical interview is tomorrow and i'm trying to not panic. i've looked over the OIS model like ten times and I keep forgetting various parts and the order. it's just an entry level job at an msp, but also i really feel like i've got no idea what i'm doing

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

it's just an entry level job at an msp, but also i really feel like i've got no idea what i'm doing

you’re overqualified

don’t worry about it, you got this

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

okay, the silence has broken and at least one FAANG has had an actual human reach out to me.

I didn't think i was going to write cover letters or do more than just rapid fire my resume out to openings but some of these roles at these companies got me rethinking that and tbh a bit inspired to talk about myself to them. like, the question i asked myself is - do you really not wanna take the opportunity to say a little more about yourself to these people?

...it took me 4 hours across 3 days to answer two open ended questions (why you wanna work here and cover letter). But getting the bulleted list of concepts and phrasing that i wanted to focus on is something I need to sleep on to do my best thinking. I feel really good about what i ended up submitting

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Armitag3 posted:

this is basically how i got my first job out of school. they asked me some obscure BSD thing and i didn't know but in my questions at the end i asked what it was / where i could learn more

the other lesson i learned that interview is when they ask you for a salary expectation, don't say an honest range

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

occluded posted:

The bootcamp has really good post-graduation career support, but one of the things they strongly say is not to tell people you just did a bootcamp because you won't get past HR ('come back when you have more experience'). So i'm in the weird position of trying to pass off our graduation project (full-stack nextjs app for pet-sitters with realtime chat and a bunch of other features, that we built from scratch in two weeks) as some sort of startup thing that I'm moving on from;

which means I can't, at interview, say 'in august I knew nothing, then they made me rewrite lodash.js from scratch as an exercise before i started the course, now I know a bunch of poo poo that I picked up at screaming speed and I will continue to do that if you hire me and give me headpats'. it sucks, i'm bad at lying.

the cornwall guys genuinely wanted someone with more experience I think which is fair enough. they weren't headforwards, I hadn't heard of them yet so thanks for the rec!

If this is the bootcamp I think it is, they will have recommended the free version of https://huntr.co/ I really recommend running the browser addon and quick applying to jobs. They'll tell you to do custom cover letters and all of that stuff, don't. It's a numbers game, apply to as many jobs as possible and track them so that you don't waste time applying to the same job twice.

Ideally you want to put out HUGE numbers of applications.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

moonshine is...... posted:

If this is the bootcamp I think it is, they will have recommended the free version of https://huntr.co/ I really recommend running the browser addon and quick applying to jobs. They'll tell you to do custom cover letters and all of that stuff, don't. It's a numbers game, apply to as many jobs as possible and track them so that you don't waste time applying to the same job twice.

Ideally you want to put out HUGE numbers of applications.

that's pretty tight but what are they getting out of me using their extension? if it's free then they gotta be selling my data or something right?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

KoRMaK posted:

that's pretty tight but what are they getting out of me using their extension? if it's free then they gotta be selling my data or something right?

Well it's not free like Google is free. Rather they have a paid $40-a-month tier and a free tier and they sure hope you might upgrade to the $ 40-a-month tier.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Just accepted the offer for my new role. Really excited to be doing actual development full time now. Since it's an internal transfer, now I get to sit back as new manager and current manager figure out the details for when I'll be able to move over.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

this is how you end up with an agreement that you will stay on your old projects ‘20%’ for ‘six months’ to ‘help with the transition’. make sure you close old your old poo poo aggressively.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Naar posted:

It's not going to be super easy for you, I don't think Cornwall is precisely a tech hub. Have you considered moving somewhere else that isn't London? I live in Manchester and the job market isn't bad.

A) def not a tech hub or an anything hub except for tourism and rich people's holiday homes.

And

B) notoriously bad transit links to everywhere else.

Not the best place to have moved for a job ngl. Best bet might be hybrid and suck up the commute to London or maybe Bristol? some of the time, maybe stay in a hotel even.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

reply 39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe
doom update: got another interview, but this one is

quote:

It will consist of some logic and simple coding questions to see how you approach problems, but you won't need to prepare anything ahead of time.

what the gently caress is this going to be, are they going to ask me the trolley problem