Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Naw, it'll just be some troll-y problems :v:

e: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

occluded posted:

doom update: got another interview, but this one is

what the gently caress is this going to be, are they going to ask me the trolley problem

i'd guess "competition"-style coding exercises. e.g. do you feel comfortable off-hand sketching out correct code for https://open.kattis.com/problems/fizzbuzz and https://open.kattis.com/problems/cetvrta?

some places will do more contrived things, or way more difficult things, but the main job is then probably to not get too flustered with it and say some reasonably meaningful things.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if any of yall see that cairo throw go on sale again, i'd appreciate a holler. $140 is too much, but for $90 I could just about impulse purchase it

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'd guess "competition"-style coding exercises. e.g. do you feel comfortable off-hand sketching out correct code for https://open.kattis.com/problems/fizzbuzz and https://open.kattis.com/problems/cetvrta?

some places will do more contrived things, or way more difficult things, but the main job is then probably to not get too flustered with it and say some reasonably meaningful things.

that's a cool site that I hadn't seen before, thanks! And those problems are fun and I can figure out how to do them so that's cool; i'll do some more to practise.

oh wait hang on, I've just seen a blog post on their page about 'Why it's important for you (the client) to attend your Scrum meeting' and it says you should come to all the daily standups, is this not complete insanity? i thought clients were super forbidden from splashing around in meetings and getting in the way

occluded fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 27, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

occluded posted:

oh wait hang on, I've just seen a blog post on their page about 'Why it's important for you (the client) to attend your Scrum meeting' and it says you should come to all the daily standups, is this not complete insanity? i thought clients were super forbidden from splashing around in meetings and getting in the way

iirc the original "agile" guys were big on having a "stakeholder" in scrums, which would ideally be the customer. ive never experienced this happening though, and somewhat doubt it is wherever posted that. we usually had a TAM playing the part.

i don't know that it'd be the worst though, as an idea i can kind of see that if you see the progress every day you kind of have to get constructive.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

occluded posted:

doom update: got another interview, but this one is

what the gently caress is this going to be, are they going to ask me the trolley problem

this could just mean logic as in getting your code to actually implement the requirements you're given correctly

if you're unfortunate and their hr is cargo-culting some of the "prestigious" tech companies then that might mean being asked poo poo like "assume you have a sack of grain, a goose and a fox. you need to put them in boxes that are labelled in a language you don't understand. how do you do that in the minimum number of steps assuming it is a full solar eclipse, and which of the boxes do you subsequently throw in the nearest river? (answer: drown the goose in the river. gently caress geese)". i dunno if that's still a la mode, though

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:honk: geese can swim m#$#%er

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

iirc the original "agile" guys were big on having a "stakeholder" in scrums, which would ideally be the customer. ive never experienced this happening though, and somewhat doubt it is wherever posted that. we usually had a TAM playing the part.

i don't know that it'd be the worst though, as an idea i can kind of see that if you see the progress every day you kind of have to get constructive.

anyone with real world experience can immediately point to tons of different agile mandates with major issues and that's assuming you actually follow the actual agile methodology as prescribed

in actual practice most shops have a group of people least qualified to make these procedural decisions pick and choose the worst aspects to dogmatically follow while ignoring the useful parts with the unconscious goal of creating as much busy work as possible because their role is usually in the busy work category

i've been doing this for over a decade and i've still never seen a shop actually implement agile in a way that i thought it was worthwhile. when you accept that it's mostly makework for middle managers it becomes much easier to work around it while actually getting stuff accomplished

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not really going to disagree with any of that, except specifically frequent, short, low-pressure meetings being fantastic if you can get that running. also working with tickets in some form is one of those that borders on too obvious now that it is universal.

neither quite invented by "agile", but i think all three kind of happened in concert

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 27, 2024

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yup. if you can manage to get the team to have frequent, preferably daily, checkins and can split work items into small chunks that people pull from whenever they finish something then you're in pretty good shape. the game at that point is to try to keep as much busy work out of this process as possible

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

occluded posted:

this doesn't mean anything, every shop describes all of their technical interviews like this no matter what they actually entail

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PIZZA.BAT posted:

anyone with real world experience can immediately point to tons of different agile mandates with major issues and that's assuming you actually follow the actual agile methodology as prescribed

in actual practice most shops have a group of people least qualified to make these procedural decisions pick and choose the worst aspects to dogmatically follow while ignoring the useful parts with the unconscious goal of creating as much busy work as possible because their role is usually in the busy work category

i've been doing this for over a decade and i've still never seen a shop actually implement agile in a way that i thought it was worthwhile. when you accept that it's mostly makework for middle managers it becomes much easier to work around it while actually getting stuff accomplished

i've seen agile work. Its uncommon but it can. The issue is always midddle management because thats largely what agile is supposed to do - reduce the orgs reliance on middle management. Unfortunately, most places do not have career-long tracks for engineers, so there's always people wanting to move into management, and if you dont have middle management you have nowhere for these people to go.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the agile horror stories always surprise me because I've never seen it implemented so catastrophiccally in my personal experience

daily standups are good, you just don't go off topic and creating hour long standups. story planning, poker planing and story points have been largely helpful in my experience for planning and sussing out edge cases before the dev work starts, rather than in the middle or at the end of a PR. a big piece of framing is that it doesn't need to be 100% accurate, your looking for 'good enough' accuracy.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

this is how you end up with an agreement that you will stay on your old projects ‘20%’ for ‘six months’ to ‘help with the transition’. make sure you close old your old poo poo aggressively.

This was a good call, btw. Talked more with my current manager today and we got a more specific date lined up (in just under 4 weeks, so I can close out the project I'm currently on). We also had a bit of an exit interview, where I got to explain that the EVP specifically calling out our division as "not the future of the business" during the last big all-hands call did make me more inclined to look for opportunities elsewhere.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Spoke with ex-employer's HR screener today. She knows me so it was a pretty chill screen. Her biggest concern was ex-company wanting to have people come in at the right level and I applied for one lower. I said I'm fine with being lower for a lot of personal reasons wrt WLB and stress, plus it is a newer side of the business for me to be working in. I said they could put me in the higher end of the salary range, give more stock, etc. if they can't do an up-level. They have hired back a few people they laid off already.

She's going to ask her higher ups about the possibility of up-leveling it to senior before I go through the process, but also wants to get me moving forward. She mentioned possibly shortening the interview rounds, but there's enough newer people I'm fine with doing that face time.

It's a new team build out with similar problems I was facing when I first started there, so it does feel like a fresh start on that aspect and I could not repeat some past mistakes.

Sounds good? I would like a job please.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

the agile horror stories always surprise me because I've never seen it implemented so catastrophiccally in my personal experience

daily standups are good, you just don't go off topic and creating hour long standups. story planning, poker planing and story points have been largely helpful in my experience for planning and sussing out edge cases before the dev work starts, rather than in the middle or at the end of a PR. a big piece of framing is that it doesn't need to be 100% accurate, your looking for 'good enough' accuracy.

i usually correct for yospos exaggeration on those horror stories.

of the canonical agile things, I find points vs days to have the lowest ROI. I am happy to drop them if they bother the team. I understand why they're used but overall i think thats just not a big deal.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

LanceHunter posted:

the EVP specifically calling out our division as "not the future of the business" during the last big all-hands call did make me more inclined to look for opportunities elsewhere.

lol you don't say

there might as well be air raid sirens going off in terms of getting the gently caress out of there

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cheese eats mouse posted:

Spoke with ex-employer's HR screener today. She knows me so it was a pretty chill screen. Her biggest concern was ex-company wanting to have people come in at the right level and I applied for one lower. I said I'm fine with being lower for a lot of personal reasons wrt WLB and stress, plus it is a newer side of the business for me to be working in. I said they could put me in the higher end of the salary range, give more stock, etc. if they can't do an up-level. They have hired back a few people they laid off already.

She's going to ask her higher ups about the possibility of up-leveling it to senior before I go through the process, but also wants to get me moving forward. She mentioned possibly shortening the interview rounds, but there's enough newer people I'm fine with doing that face time.

It's a new team build out with similar problems I was facing when I first started there, so it does feel like a fresh start on that aspect and I could not repeat some past mistakes.

Sounds good? I would like a job please.

you prob dont want to down level so this recruiter seem to have your back

being over penetrated and under promoted and a double whammy for your future monies, that said its a nice thing for current monies if you currently have no monies

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
speaking of monies, is refusing to say any number until they do the way to go with these things? i hate this stupid song and dance i have to go along with to the point i'm way more inclined to apply for any position that just tells me what the salary range is gonna be right upfront

it's not even a matter of wasting my time interviewing and then finding out they're paying way below average, since with what i'm used to they could offer me pocket lint and a stick of beef jerky and i'd probably take it. it's the principle of the thing

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

speaking of monies, is refusing to say any number until they do the way to go with these things? i hate this stupid song and dance i have to go along with to the point i'm way more inclined to apply for any position that just tells me what the salary range is gonna be right upfront

it's not even a matter of wasting my time interviewing and then finding out they're paying way below average, since with what i'm used to they could offer me pocket lint and a stick of beef jerky and i'd probably take it. it's the principle of the thing

my default setting is "joking" so when pressed for a number while unemployed I'd say "you've gotta beat zero!" and BS some line about needing interesting work and the compensation should line up to industry standards

the low end of the first range I ever heard while sticking to not saying anything was 50% higher than my previous salary. CO/CA have tried to make the range apparent but I'd still expect it pays to play "don't say the first number"

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

CarForumPoster posted:

you prob dont want to down level so this recruiter seem to have your back

being over penetrated and under promoted and a double whammy for your future monies, that said its a nice thing for current monies if you currently have no monies

helps when you've both been at the company for several years. she was stoked to see me come through.

i have no monies and soon to hit a year unemployed and my unemployment ran out this week. i would like to keep my savings saved.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you say a number first, and your number is lower than what they would have offered, you're going to be working for peanuts

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

yeah. if you have a good sense of your value and it's actually possible they can't pay you enough (e.g. they're a tiny lil' startup) it can work out to open with a big number just to avoid wasting everyone's time and anchor high but that's rarely the case. it's almost always better to shut up and let them pitch you.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

raminasi posted:

yeah. if you have a good sense of your value and it's actually possible they can't pay you enough (e.g. they're a tiny lil' startup) it can work out to open with a big number just to avoid wasting everyone's time and anchor high but that's rarely the case. it's almost always better to shut up and let them pitch you.

This. Its very rare an applicant has deep knowledge of what the "just say yes" number is for their skill set in the market. Meanwhile the company often has lots of information about this.

cheese eats mouse posted:

helps when you've both been at the company for several years. she was stoked to see me come through.

i have no monies and soon to hit a year unemployed and my unemployment ran out this week. i would like to keep my savings saved.

yea unless you have a simultaneous directly competing offer, not a great spot to be in. Luckily they seem to be trying to help.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jabor posted:

if you say a number first, and your number is lower than what they would have offered, you're going to be working for peanuts

hence why i'd take the stick of beef jerky

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

CarForumPoster posted:

This. Its very rare an applicant has deep knowledge of what the "just say yes" number is for their skill set in the market. Meanwhile the company often has lots of information about this.

that's pretty much always been my thinking. a big company has literally hundreds of people whose entire job is to minimize labor costs compared to market average. anyone thinking they're negotiating with the person in front of them at the table and not those hundreds of people is a fool. doubly so if they think they can beat them

i was mostly wondering about how likely it is that staying tight-lipped would be a deal breaker, but i guess it's pretty unlikely to factor into the final decision, all things considered

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

i was mostly wondering about how likely it is that staying tight-lipped would be a deal breaker, but i guess it's pretty unlikely to factor into the final decision, all things considered

it’d take a major douchebag to not see keeping your cards close as an indicator of skill

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

0% chance at anywhere you'd want to work (which might not be relevant if your batna is dismal enough)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if negotiation is hard for you - and its hard for a lot of people - several yosposters have reported good success with these guys https://hireclub.com/. They'll tell you what to say, give you an idea of whats reasonable for you and whats a stretch, and give you some words to say to people who are perhaps not trying to screw you but people who at least do not have your specific best interests at heart. I think I know 4 people who've used the service and all of them say it got them 10-20k/year more than they would have gotten otherwise.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you dont wanna deal with those guys, yeah my advice is the same as jawns. Make a joke out of it and say that you're sure they know what market rates for your skill level is and you trust theyll come up with a competitive offer.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
i just ask them to share their budget range, if they dont budge then say market rate and dont change from that position.

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
for alternate data points, levels.fyi is decently accurate for companies with a lot of submissions. some regions also require that job listings have salary ranges, which you can then slap a bonus % and equity grant on top of to get an idea of TC.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

rotor posted:

if negotiation is hard for you - and its hard for a lot of people - several yosposters have reported good success with these guys https://hireclub.com/. They'll tell you what to say, give you an idea of whats reasonable for you and whats a stretch, and give you some words to say to people who are perhaps not trying to screw you but people who at least do not have your specific best interests at heart. I think I know 4 people who've used the service and all of them say it got them 10-20k/year more than they would have gotten otherwise.

do they accept female applicants? or is this just a...

hire club for men

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor posted:

if you dont wanna deal with those guys, yeah my advice is the same as jawns. Make a joke out of it and say that you're sure they know what market rates for your skill level is and you trust theyll come up with a competitive offer.

another thing that has worked for me is to not let the conversation hang there.
“oh I’m sure you’ll make a competitive offer for the market; I’m interested in the frob team’s stuff from the job description, can you tell me more about how that team is structured”

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

as with all rules of thumb if you have to ask then the rule of thumb is probably what you should be following. there's also a place for saying a number first but you should avoid it unless you've done your research and are confident in your negotiation abilities. ie: if you have to ask then just don't say a number

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yoooooouuuu caaaaan taaaaaakkkkeeee meeeeeee hiiiiirrreeeee

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

after two interviews that I felt went pretty well:

quote:

Unfortunately we're going to continue our search with other applicants. You are a good culture fit for us but we're needing deeper technical expertise / experience. We don't bring in "tier 1" support folks here which is what I think will give you the experience we're looking for. I know you are determined to get that and I'd love to circle back with you in the future.

guess i’ll just go bury myself in a hole or something. that “tier 1” comment hurts. almost like “you did a good job scamming your way through two interviews, you idiot”

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
they seem rude op

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you care about an individual cold-apply interview you are not sending them out in enough quantity

but also gently caress em, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

that's a really lovely comment to give, gently caress that