Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sleng Teng posted:

that's a really lovely comment to give, gently caress that

Extremely unprofessional. Sounds like you made someone mad about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

probably felt like I wasted their time or something

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Branch Nvidian posted:

Some people are just assholes. Console yourself with the knowledge that you dodged the bullet of having to work with the kind of persson who would say poo poo like that to a stranger.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah that was rude as poo poo. gently caress em.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

rotor posted:

Some people are just assholes.

not puter touchers tho
that infamously nice and socially adjusted group

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it didn't read like they were tryin to be dicks or otherwise rude to me. i dont know if that makes it better or worse, though

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Achmed Jones posted:

it didn't read like they were tryin to be dicks or otherwise rude to me. i dont know if that makes it better or worse, though

yea they thought they were being nice by giving feedback

in general the rule is listen to the no and not the reason and for good reason

theres a bunch of other poo poo that could be at play here and so the feedback aint super helpful and is just discouraging

Mantle
May 15, 2004

occluded posted:

hey fig thread

i finished a bootcamp thing in feb (full stack webdev, a pretty comprehensive one with good reviews for what that's worth) and I'm doing the interview tango for the first time in ever, seeing as i've been a freelance film industry guy up until now. Just got rejected from what would have been an amazing job (small software company, interesting projects, local to me in Cornwall, UK) so I'm feeling kind of lovely as now everything else is either 1) in London, gently caress commuting for 4+ hours a few days a week or 2) remote, so I'm competing with every other dev in the country.

I don't think I expect words of encouragement from yospos but perhaps you could all tell me that i'm hosed, but maybe not quite as hosed as I worry?

My company has an office in Cardiff and we do hire at the intern/coop/jr level. We are also fully remote.

Some of my coworkers will be at a beginner coding workshop they are sponsoring on April 9. It would be a great networking event for someone at your level. If you'd like more info, send me a DM so I don't dox myself.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
Sorry, we only hire 10x engineers

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

getting a reply email after an interview that just says "skill issue"

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
i know you shouldn't care but i did like this one a lot

quote:

We appreciate your time and effort during the hiring process and allowing us the opportunity to learn more about your career accomplishments.Thank you again for taking the time to speak with us.

After careful consideration, the team has chosen to move forward with another candidate.

Your experience and skills are impressive, and you have a lot to offer an employer. We would encourage you to apply again in the future if another opportunity arises fitting your skills and experience. Additionally, I will add your information to our database for future openings. We wish you the best in your career pursuits!

this is why i didn't date for years. i hate dating and i hate job hunting.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cheese eats mouse posted:

Its nice...and its a completely generic form email.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

work has been pretty poo poo this week, which has me thinking about what I'd rather be working on instead. I think that answer is dev tools. the projects I've enjoyed the most at previous jobs have all revolved around improving the dev experience for the project team rather than adding a new feature to the widget we were building

who hires for this? is this pretty much the domain of FAANGs or companies whose product is a dev tool? is this an area that has been hit especially hard by layoffs?

most of my experience has been with startups in medical devices or medical adjacent, with my current job mostly boiling down to backend for a CRUD app. is there anything I can do resume wise to help sell myself for a role like this? does having written a neovim plugin with a few dozen stars count for anything here?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sounds like devops to me

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

"we regret to inform you that the position you applied for has been closed due to unforeseen circumstances" was one of the ones I got when job hunting a couple months back that made me think, wow, gently caress you too. it's not like suddenly there was downsizing, because it was a drat municipal government job in an extremely fast growing city

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Kazinsal posted:

"we regret to inform you that the position you applied for has been closed due to unforeseen circumstances" was one of the ones I got when job hunting a couple months back that made me think, wow, gently caress you too. it's not like suddenly there was downsizing, because it was a drat municipal government job in an extremely fast growing city

the boomer whose job opened up when he retired decided he'd like to stay on for a few more years

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

the boomer whose job opened up when he retired decided he'd like to stay on for a few more years

my guess was either that or they internally promoted someone into the role yeah

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

silvergoose posted:

sounds like devops to me

yeah, you might be right. dev tooling seems like a small slice of what devops usually does, but I guess you could say the same about plain software dev

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

"developer experience" or "devex" is the buzzword that i've been using to sell my bosses on investing in that kind of stuff, not sure if you'll find a lot of postings for it though

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Kazinsal posted:

my guess was either that or they internally promoted someone into the role yeah

i once interviewed for a computer touching position at the mta. i went into an office at 10:30am on a saturday where a guy named "dino" asked me some pro-forma questions. i was 0% surprised to lose the job to whoever dino had preselected for the role.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Asleep Style posted:

work has been pretty poo poo this week, which has me thinking about what I'd rather be working on instead. I think that answer is dev tools. the projects I've enjoyed the most at previous jobs have all revolved around improving the dev experience for the project team rather than adding a new feature to the widget we were building

who hires for this? is this pretty much the domain of FAANGs or companies whose product is a dev tool? is this an area that has been hit especially hard by layoffs?

most of my experience has been with startups in medical devices or medical adjacent, with my current job mostly boiling down to backend for a CRUD app. is there anything I can do resume wise to help sell myself for a role like this? does having written a neovim plugin with a few dozen stars count for anything here?

If you're working primarily on developer tools you're not directly contributing to the bottom line and that makes it easy to justify cutting your position. Go for it if you want, but just be aware that that's a potential issue.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

If you're working primarily on developer tools you're not directly contributing to the bottom line and that makes it easy to justify cutting your position. Go for it if you want, but just be aware that that's a potential issue.

if you do tooling, its vitally important to include whatever logging and usage monitoring you can to generate the kind of metrics that let you say "this tool saved X developer hours last quarter, resulting in a savings of $Y"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ultrafilter posted:

unless, as they said, you're working for a company that builds developer tools

in my experience my best jobs have been with these kinds of companies, mostly because it's comprised of people who understand developer concerns since it's their entire business. there's tons of companies out there that work in this domain so you're not exactly limiting yourself too much by trying to focus on these kinds of companies. the question mostly comes down to which vertical you want to get into and the size of the company. you have your oracles and redhats down to your ten man tiny companies that are still pre revenue

Mantle
May 15, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

I ran into this in my current job, but in a slightly different form. Instead of developer tools, it really was more of being on a team that was responsible for paying off tech debt to get us away from some unscalable patterns. It was really rewarding work, but could not be directly tied to revenue or product features.

I asked my team lead at the time how the business value of my work could be quantified when it couldn't be tied to KPIs and he said he trusted his director. I was skeptical but it seemed to be going ok until the director quit ahead of almost all of his entire reporting structure getting laid off.

I enjoyed the work, but it can be career limiting.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

as for how to modify your resume to target it just remember bdid's adage that all interviewing / job hunting is fundamentally a sales role. go over the whole thing and rewrite it such that anyone will see you through the lens you want to be seen through. if you want to work on tooling then emphasize your tooling work in any role you worked in. don't worry if it was just a one week project out of years working there. this is sales

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I got a similar one once from HP, except it said I got to the final round and that they really liked me but decided to go with an internal hire and that I should apply for other jobs there, with a link to their jobs site

so anyway I go to that website, fill out an essay and all that and it tells me it's a corporate policy that I can apply only once a year

not to be deterred I write a polite email including the previous positive feedback to the hiring manager and recruitment

I never heard back

moral of the story, just keep sending out more applications, it's a numbers game, just world is a fallacy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

in other news i'm starting to get cold emails from recruiters again so i think the market may be turning around

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, i've been getting a 2018-usual level. not 2021 craziness but not drastically reduced like last year

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

in other news i'm starting to get cold emails from recruiters again so i think the market may be turning around

the wild 'crooters are roaring (at you)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

you have to beat recruiters off of you with a stick

I can’t get a recruiter to even recognize I exist

we are not the same

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If you have to beat them off to get them to recognize you then they don't respect you enough to be worth your love

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, i've been getting a 2018-usual level. not 2021 craziness but not drastically reduced like last year

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Waiting until my official start date to change my job title on LinkedIn. Looking forward to the recruiter spam that will hit me then.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

LanceHunter posted:

Waiting until my official start date to change my job title on LinkedIn. Looking forward to the recruiter spam that will hit me then.

You don't hibernate your LI account when you get a job?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Quackles posted:

I don't really keep it super-active, but it's not really hibernated. Most of my activity is just adding certifications when I get them (and, of course, updating my job info when I land a new job).

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Branch Nvidian posted:

that’s impossible, they asked you in for interviews, they wasted your time. gently caress ‘em.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Quackles posted:

i have found that linkedin advertises me to recruiters as “looking for a new gig” or whatever even when i am definitely not and have told them that.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

I got a similar one once from HP, except it said I got to the final round and that they really liked me but decided to go with an internal hire and that I should apply for other jobs there, with a link to their jobs site

so anyway I go to that website, fill out an essay and all that and it tells me it's a corporate policy that I can apply only once a year

not to be deterred I write a polite email including the previous positive feedback to the hiring manager and recruitment

I never heard back

moral of the story, just keep sending out more applications, it's a numbers game, just world is a fallacy

other moral of the story: do not work at hp

also thanks for the replies earlier for my question about saying a number first

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i picked up "cracking the coding interview" and it's been a pretty great read at challenging me as i fill in the computer sci stuff that i avoided for so long and giving me hints, answers and also as both a quick and deep survey of interview questions i may be up against.

I've also been watching abdul bari's series on data structures and algorithms, which also has sections on analyzing each algorithms space and time complexity.

also on the reading list is "designing data intensive systems", and "system design interview" 1 and 2

all good stuff, would recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
cracking the coding interview i found good for getting into the mindset of "this is whiteboard bullshit not actually writing functional code" and the dos/don'ts that implies. system design interview is nice both for review if you've done some of that before, and learning new stuff regardless of whether you have. it's not deep or comprehensive, but the references are usually interesting enough; i've read a few "classic" papers because of them

on a different topic, how common is international work for full remote positions these days? some positions explicitly mention that they're hiring from anywhere, or a given set of countries, but i'm gonna assume that if there's no mention of it, there's no choice but to be in the us (or wherever)? it's kind of pissing me off that nvidia has a bunch of what they say are full remote positions that are pretty much exactly in my wheelhouse, but they're all in the us whereas i'm in canada where they have jack poo poo. oh ATI, how i miss thee... wait gently caress does amd still do stuff in this frozen hellhole? i didn't even think of checking. gonna do that later