Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
as someone who's been unemployed for like 10 months at this point and doesn't really give a poo poo, i can confirm it owns. something similar happened in my mid-20s when i quit my job 'cause of burnout, except i had a whole lot of mental health poo poo at that time and that led to 3 years of depression and not working. ended up burning through pretty much all of my savings, but in the end it gave me time to get some stuff figured out so it probably was for the best

this time though i'm actually doing good, but i haven't figured out what i want to do next. i sure as gently caress aren't going back to games unless i work for myself, which is also what i said last time except it didn't work out and i ended up in games anyways. only problem is, i'm rusty at basically everything that's useful outside of games which kinda sucks cause my job before my last was mostly distributed systems, databases, server-side programming, and all that stuff, which i was fairly decent at and which was definitely useful for other industries, but everything i know about that is outdated by 10 years now. i hear they've got them newfangled "container" things now? back in my days we had VMs and physical machines and we liked it like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

if you're going for a software dev position rather than IT then it's not as big of a deal as you might think, it's the fundamentals that are important/people care about. Maybe do some self-study if you see it as a requirement in whatever positions you are going for

I've heard the dev job market sucks right now though, so it might take a while to get a good lead

yeah i'm definitely on the software dev side of things and that's where i want to stay. maybe devops, i'm sorta decent at that too and i got flown out to mountain view for on-site interviews a couple times for sre-swe positions like 8 years ago, before my last job. both times i was told i was right at the cutoff threshold; the second time i went through a couple more interviews locally, then got told i was still just shy of a pass, but maybe they could try to get me something outside the bay area where it's harder to get people, but that didn't work out in the end. maybe i dodged a bullet on that one though; they were considering sending me to pit's burg of all places. then again i got dragged back into gamedev instead so who's to say what's worse. saved me from having to deal with moving to the us so there's that at least

another issue is that now that i've tasted the forbidden fruit of remote work for a few years, i'm not stepping into an office ever again unless i get dragged in kicking and screaming or i get additional paid vacation time equal to the time i waste commuting because gently caress that. so that eliminates a lot of potential employers

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

lord fifth posted:

lol my recruiter is "putting a note on my profile" that i reneged an offer and very sternly chastised me for taking opportunities away from others :allears:

i hope you are properly ashamed of yourself

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

KoRMaK posted:

saw an opening at Shopify for a role that looked great on paper, but then i started reading about the company which aligns with some of the red flags i was seeing in the job description. "uncomfortable growth " "constant change" "chaos"

CEO sent out a memo to internal leaders a while back that every year you should requalify for your job being 40% better than last year

:whitewater:

yeah i looked at open positions there a while ago and just reading the career section on their website was enough to make me nope out of applying there

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
in conclusion interviews are bullshit

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah i'm sorry it's probably my fault. every time i've looked for a job before the market has been absolute garbage and it just so happens i've been without a job and low-key trying to get a new one for half a year now

hoping i might cross the fabled 6 figgies threshold this time now that i've got 15 years under my belt so this might take a couple more years of resume blasting. i'll let you all know once it's safe to do the ol' company payscale switcheroo again

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
imagine not only using proper capitalization in yospos, but full-on accents and poo poo. i mean, caliss

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
also i think i found said template from earlier in this thread and it does look neat so i'm grabbing a copy. thanks

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

occluded posted:

doom update: got another interview, but this one is

what the gently caress is this going to be, are they going to ask me the trolley problem

this could just mean logic as in getting your code to actually implement the requirements you're given correctly

if you're unfortunate and their hr is cargo-culting some of the "prestigious" tech companies then that might mean being asked poo poo like "assume you have a sack of grain, a goose and a fox. you need to put them in boxes that are labelled in a language you don't understand. how do you do that in the minimum number of steps assuming it is a full solar eclipse, and which of the boxes do you subsequently throw in the nearest river? (answer: drown the goose in the river. gently caress geese)". i dunno if that's still a la mode, though

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

LanceHunter posted:

the EVP specifically calling out our division as "not the future of the business" during the last big all-hands call did make me more inclined to look for opportunities elsewhere.

lol you don't say

there might as well be air raid sirens going off in terms of getting the gently caress out of there

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
speaking of monies, is refusing to say any number until they do the way to go with these things? i hate this stupid song and dance i have to go along with to the point i'm way more inclined to apply for any position that just tells me what the salary range is gonna be right upfront

it's not even a matter of wasting my time interviewing and then finding out they're paying way below average, since with what i'm used to they could offer me pocket lint and a stick of beef jerky and i'd probably take it. it's the principle of the thing

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jabor posted:

if you say a number first, and your number is lower than what they would have offered, you're going to be working for peanuts

hence why i'd take the stick of beef jerky

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

CarForumPoster posted:

This. Its very rare an applicant has deep knowledge of what the "just say yes" number is for their skill set in the market. Meanwhile the company often has lots of information about this.

that's pretty much always been my thinking. a big company has literally hundreds of people whose entire job is to minimize labor costs compared to market average. anyone thinking they're negotiating with the person in front of them at the table and not those hundreds of people is a fool. doubly so if they think they can beat them

i was mostly wondering about how likely it is that staying tight-lipped would be a deal breaker, but i guess it's pretty unlikely to factor into the final decision, all things considered

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

I got a similar one once from HP, except it said I got to the final round and that they really liked me but decided to go with an internal hire and that I should apply for other jobs there, with a link to their jobs site

so anyway I go to that website, fill out an essay and all that and it tells me it's a corporate policy that I can apply only once a year

not to be deterred I write a polite email including the previous positive feedback to the hiring manager and recruitment

I never heard back

moral of the story, just keep sending out more applications, it's a numbers game, just world is a fallacy

other moral of the story: do not work at hp

also thanks for the replies earlier for my question about saying a number first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
cracking the coding interview i found good for getting into the mindset of "this is whiteboard bullshit not actually writing functional code" and the dos/don'ts that implies. system design interview is nice both for review if you've done some of that before, and learning new stuff regardless of whether you have. it's not deep or comprehensive, but the references are usually interesting enough; i've read a few "classic" papers because of them

on a different topic, how common is international work for full remote positions these days? some positions explicitly mention that they're hiring from anywhere, or a given set of countries, but i'm gonna assume that if there's no mention of it, there's no choice but to be in the us (or wherever)? it's kind of pissing me off that nvidia has a bunch of what they say are full remote positions that are pretty much exactly in my wheelhouse, but they're all in the us whereas i'm in canada where they have jack poo poo. oh ATI, how i miss thee... wait gently caress does amd still do stuff in this frozen hellhole? i didn't even think of checking. gonna do that later