Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Out of like 70 over the course of a month I've had 2 interviews, not bad but could be better. I just need to get out of this mess that is my current role and screen potential jobs better as an interviewee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

occluded posted:

The bootcamp has really good post-graduation career support, but one of the things they strongly say is not to tell people you just did a bootcamp because you won't get past HR ('come back when you have more experience'). So i'm in the weird position of trying to pass off our graduation project (full-stack nextjs app for pet-sitters with realtime chat and a bunch of other features, that we built from scratch in two weeks) as some sort of startup thing that I'm moving on from;

which means I can't, at interview, say 'in august I knew nothing, then they made me rewrite lodash.js from scratch as an exercise before i started the course, now I know a bunch of poo poo that I picked up at screaming speed and I will continue to do that if you hire me and give me headpats'. it sucks, i'm bad at lying.

the cornwall guys genuinely wanted someone with more experience I think which is fair enough. they weren't headforwards, I hadn't heard of them yet so thanks for the rec!

If this is the bootcamp I think it is, they will have recommended the free version of https://huntr.co/ I really recommend running the browser addon and quick applying to jobs. They'll tell you to do custom cover letters and all of that stuff, don't. It's a numbers game, apply to as many jobs as possible and track them so that you don't waste time applying to the same job twice.

Ideally you want to put out HUGE numbers of applications.