Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qhat posted:

Maybe, but idk Scotland apart from everyone there has blood on their knuckles

Scotland is going to secede from the UK, remain part of the EU, and become another glorious Scandinavian style social democracy

they also make kick-rear end booze

why wouldn’t you want to go to Scotland over London?

(Scotland is where the most left voters in the UK are so when it secedes the UK will start rapidly spiraling the drain trying to be “America lite”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PleasureKevin posted:

am I the only person getting actual work as "coding challenges"? 2 or 3 times they have been actually solving tickets of active projects.

in the late 90s instead of a “coding challenge” I just did a couple weeks of paid, remote contract work for a company, it worked out great and I made some cash and got a permanent offer (including relocation) at the end

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

i think you underestimate the ability of butthurt hr types at small to mid sized companies to get butthurt someone they can't currently retaliate against has increased the hurt in their butt

we’ve seen repeatedly that, even in well-capitalized startups and established large companies in SV, HR sometimes works for the founders, the managers, or themselves more than they work for the company

properly functioning HR would listen when properly functioning legal tells them not to slander an ex-employee

at a company like Uber, you’d have legal figuring out strategies so HR could get away with it explicitly because a manager wanted to retaliate

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Valeyard posted:

i got like a 19% payrise last week, and 16% bonus, but still feel pretty underpaid

i wonder what H1B options are available these days, might be interesting to go work in the us for a year or two while ive got no hard ties here yet

always seemed like amazon was the best way to go for foreigners wanting to work in usa tech

there are plenty of US companies that have a significant development presence in Canada, not least because it can be easier (or more desirable) for some of the people they want to hire to get a Canadian visa than a US one

my department just bought a company in Vancouver and got a Vancouver office out of it (we’re not making them move) and that could potentially become a non-California option for new hires, depending on team & role

I also assume that as a Brit (if my copy of yospos.xls is correct) you could work elsewhere in the Empire Commonwealth pretty easily