Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

uncurable mlady posted:

most the time people complain about poor db performance, they really just need better schemas and queries

i agree with this, but i have executed some insanely lazy and bad presto/athena queries and they both routinely impress me with fast as heck return times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

oh yeah, the rejections are piling up, I'm giving up for a while because it's just too much

but here's a funny story: I did this one technical interview and the dude proposed a quick "bonus problem" because we still had some time left in the interview. I solved it with itertools.product and the dude didn't like it, so later I spent some time writing a custom artisanal variation of the generalized cartesian product that the problem required and sent it to him. His answer was "No, you're doing it wrong, you should've used recursion".

:psyduck:

keep at it! I have been in your shoes and I hate it and I definitely quit a lot but it is not a good idea and I can tell you from experience that you're just going to feel guilty the whole time you're on break so you might as well power through it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Shaman Linavi posted:

same except im still shotgunning resumes because i love recruiter spam

maybe related, anyone used Glider.ai for any online coding challenge things? looks like i'm going to need a webcam and they specifically say to disable anything that uploads poo poo in the background so overall it sounds like a winner.

if they demand a webcam during the interview it suggests to me that they're never going to trust their people and its going to be the kind of place where you have to log your clock-in and -out times

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

It's pretty hard to interpret this discussion as anything other than introverts versus extroverts. The bit about in-person discussions being intrinsically valuable in a way that you can't explain has a flip side: they're intrinsically a huge unplanned interruption that demands your attention instead of asking for it. Emails and pings don't annoy anyone with reasonable system configurations because both parties have to opt-in to the interruption in order to be interrupted by it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

just say you have family there--tell them whatever they need to hear so you can get through to the people that actually do the work

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

you worked for four days before signing an offer?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

that sounds like something a really bad programmer would say hth

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

whats the list in default arguments gotcha?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

VileLL posted:

laffo, cheers - company's over by leeds, so not on the highest end of the payscale but still

just 10 days left to apply!

i'd do it if it was remote-only and I only had to work one day a week

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

i'd do it if it was remote-only and I only had to work one day a week

to be clear, this is not a joke. i have an ivy meng in exactly this sort of thing and i will work 8 hours a week for 25 kilobritbucks

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

you're gonna hate your job, just apply to the ones with the best glassdoor reviews because at least those shitholes won't work you to death on top of being something you hate

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

god help you if the reason it exists is 'our athena queries were running longer than 30 minutes and timing out'

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

ADINSX posted:

Whoops nevermind adtech is boring

it is really easy and pays well though so its a pretty good job if you have good hobbies

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

we've used athena a lot at work and (compared to our in-house unmaintained hive/presto thing) it is super needs-suiting for us!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i think adtech is chaotic neutral unless it is in service if something evil

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

at least that's what i tell myself so i can stomach working here

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i had some unusually competent recruiters last year that told me everything i could want to hear but kept signing me up for dumb devops jobs at startups where i had to do ten jobs at once and the interviewers wouldn't even reveal which ten jobs would be mine

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the interviewers probably just didn’t know which 10?

at one place that was definitely the case, and at the other one it was like the whole point of the interview was seeing if i could guess what they were hiring for; startup hiring is chaos

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Asleep Style posted:

I figured this would be the case. I have an EE degree so my classes were more focused on janitoring individual bits. Gonna be a busy week!

i know how you feel, my undergrad was EE too

interview questions are almost always binary trees, but sometimes some super cs degree haver will make you write down a*. you can get pretty far by just thinking about how an embedded dev would do it <problem> in as little memory as possible. just don't let cs jargon spook you, and if the cs jargoners won't explain their jargon when you ask, interpret it as a bad smell and don't judge yourself for 'failing' to read some dumbass bs cs's mind

edit: oh and i bookmarked this a while back but i haven't used it, it might help as a refresher

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 17, 2018

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

it seems like a good cheap way to fill chairs for javascript jobs but i wouldn't expect them to be able to do anything else right away

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

do you actually arrange knights on a chess board in your day to day? if you're hoping the candidate wrangles a graph problem out of it, why not just ask a graph problem that's relevant to your work

in my opinion this is better than a graph problem because it is at least based on rules that both parties know going into it

i suck the most at interview questions where its just "build a thing that keeps track of the max of a stream of numbers and updates the max when i pop or unqueue" because its harder to implement something thats just abstract and not serving any kind of realistic purpose

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Bloody posted:

we are not in hawthorne at all we are in seattle, texas, and florida

in case anyone else is wondering, the texas part is in the hinterlands and not the triangle part of texas where people actually live

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lmao this abstract is absolutely brutal: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/apps.12163

quote:

Brainteaser interview questions such as “Estimate how many windows are in New York” are just one example of aggressive interviewer behaviour that lacks evidence for validity and is unsettling to job applicants. This research attempts to shed light on the motives behind such behaviour by examining the relation between dark‐side traits and the perceived appropriateness of brainteaser interview questions. A representative sample of working adults (n = 736) was presented with a list of interview questions that were either traditional (e.g., “Are you a good listener?”), behavioural (e.g., “Tell me about a time when you failed”), or brainteaser in nature. Results of a multiple regression, controlling for interviewing experience and sex, showed that narcissism and sadism explained the likelihood of using brainteasers in an interview. A subsequent bifactor analysis showed that these dark traits shared a callousness general factor. A second longitudinal study of employed adults with hiring experience demonstrated that perspective‐taking partially mediated the relationship between this general factor and the perceived helpfulness and abusiveness of brainteaser interview questions. These results suggest that a callous indifference and a lack of perspective‐taking may underlie abusive behaviour in the employment interview.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i feel like a simple test like fizzbuzz is important because people in this town actually do fake their way to interviews when they can't actually program (for reasons i don't understand) but it's really gotten out of hand

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i really like the idea of incredulous questions as runtime error messages

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

anyone that gets sad because their coworker got a better job probably deserves to be sad imo

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

im a pd.read_csver too and i only work about 32 hours a week but get salary, its the tech industry equivalent of ATM OF EREBUS

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

scheduled maintenance on the car is a good one. also puking baby

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

seems boring and probably bad for cities but i bet they're going to make a lot of money parasitizing the latest wave of "Amazon Now for food/clothes/pets/wet meat/whatever" startups

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

at my job the amount of visible liquor bottles in the building has correlated strongly with how frustrating the current working conditions are

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

just get in there and stack paper while you do 0.1 of each of those jobs which they're too incompetent to understand you're phoning in

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 2, 2018

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

that resume looks a hundred times more impressive, great job man

i dont have any experience in the c/c# domain but i feel like you're conveying a lot better now

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

my corolla lease is only 200 bucks a month and its hard to imagine an amount of money i would have to make that could convince me to upgrade to anything else since i just use it to sit in traffic

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Img]aubreyplazawow.gif[/img]

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

which ireland is the good one? i always forget

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

guys can you please stop quoting workplace microagression stymie ty

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

if you think about it all river cities are coastal

dr drew used to say that the stomach was an external organ for the same reasons but it seems like hogwash to me

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

add some endlines to that or source your quotes my dude

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

what tech is even in raleigh? i've never heard of it outside of american capital cities quizzes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

yeah never tell people what you make unless you want to make the same amount at nextjob