Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
E: oh, I see there is another page where this was already answered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

qhat posted:

Reviewing co-op applications today. One guy stated outright in his cover letter "once you see my grades I know you'll want to meet me". So I check his grades and see some F's and immediately throw the resume in the garbage lol.

Ah, the Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes "You know how Albert Einstein did really badly at school, well my grades are even worse" gambit.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

HoboMan posted:

sanity check

You compared SPAs with native apps but I think they're probably asking you to compare SPAs with a "conventional" website where most interactions cause an entire new page load.

Actually now I think about it I'm not sure what they wanted you to compare SPAs with.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

huhu posted:

That's not my name.

James.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

I wasn't part of the interviewing process, I only caught a glimpse of a few candidates. It was an internship position, the parents seemed kind of poor and were like "our son is really smart, unlike us, please he really deserves a chance"

Well I hope you gave him a chance :(

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Here's a really good filtering tip: don't work somewhere that does that poo poo

Interviews go both ways, and all that.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

reverse a string is just a fizzbuzz type thing

throw new Exception("Unicode does not have this");

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I think they've already suffered enough from failing to hire you. No need to rub it in.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

idk there's a lot of non-obvious stuff i've been coached on that i doubt i would've stumbled on through interview volume?

"tell me about yourself!" give yourself 30s, max. make it punchy, memorable, and cut yourself off before you bore them to death with minutia. they should want to know more

on those open ended questions just give a barrage of goofball conditions. the one I remember is "if you're in a boat and throw a rock overboard, what happens to the water line on the side of the boat?" and just listing off ridiculous assumptions that had to hold. you're assuming the boat is floating, the water is liquid, the rock is more dense than water, etc. etc.

that said I wouldn't pay for a coach

"Haha, I got you! The water line was actually an ice line!"

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

bad sign of what, getting paid to drink while loving around with a compiler? sounds like a pretty god deal to me. as long as the office is close to a bus stop or something

It's not so much the "being paid to drink" as "trying to work while other people nearby are drinking".

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Bloody posted:

lol im so fuckin underpaid

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
"accidentally"

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
The weird thing about that particular whiteboard problem is that Tetris pieces do not, strictly speaking, rotate. There isn't a physics engine at work here. If you spin a piece around its midpoint then you're liable to end up with a misalignment. The rotations are individually hard-coded.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Don't forget the original... nbv4

Are nbv4 and how!! seriously the same person?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I ask a friend to stay in the light bulb room for a minute and then I phone them.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats why they pay a quarter, third of a million now

I've said it before, but: at what salary does the human feces in the streets disappear.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

CPColin posted:

Pullin down four figgies, I see

One comma club, nice.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Teachers should be paid as much as tech workers.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
It happens to the best of us.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I want to re-emphasize that java script: The Good Parts is not a great read for learning about modern JavaScript because it's from 2008 and a lot of incredibly important and valuable stuff has been added to the language since then. Everything from here down is missing from the book, and this is stuff everybody uses every day now. Like, classes. And variables with vaguely sensible scope.

The book is somewhat interesting as a historical milestone.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
If an interview consists of a rigidly prescribed, predictable series of tests or questions with a quantitative rubric then it can be gamed, but if it's a more open-ended, free-form interaction where you converse and form impressions of one another like two human beings then all kinds of unconscious and conscious biases come forward and warp the outcome, is that basically it?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

champagne posting posted:

"tell me about a time you were wrong" is the question I should be asked more often, but it never comes up.

If that ever comes up I'll just say "I neglected to prepare for this question."

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

qirex posted:

in the future the drones will be able to use facial recognition, personal info databases and machine learning to write a valid legal justification for your death in the time between the release of the projectile and it killing you

There's a Douglas Adams book about software which does fabricates retroactive justifications for the business decisions you already wanted to make. Man was a visionary.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

also if someone doesn’t know how to read a clock it’s pretty trivial to explain

The problem (well, the other problem) is that the explanation is basically the implementation.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Fizz.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
FizzBuzz.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

bro how are you getting so many interviews? i shotgunned my resume last week and have gotten 2 calls, 1 of the recruiters went on vacation after our chat :thumbsup:

Seems as if nudgenudgetilt is the interviewer, not the interviewee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
So when they say "spend 2 to 3 hours on this take-home project" how many hours are most people actually spending on it?