Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
https://leftalign.substack.com/p/are-tech-interviews-broken-or-is?s=w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

AnoHito posted:

lol, he has no remorse, the fucker. just an entire meandering article about how they're cool and good actually, just everyone besides him is using them wrong, you see.

Eh, my takeaway from that article is that he doesn't think story points should be used beyond breaking down work into small enough chunks to be worked on, but never for estimation

His ideal system seems like having points but only devs can see them and know what they are

ron posted:

It’s far better to pick a close-in date for the next release to customers, and pick as much good stuff into that release as possible. Estimating, be it in story points or gummi bears or even time, gets in the way of this. Where possible, in my opinion, it’s best avoided.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Hey everyone, I recently got an offer from a Series A funded startup and was hoping I could get some advice since this is a first for me. The offer includes X amount of options for shares that vest over a 4 year period.

I figure I should ask what the total share count and/or the strike price is as of the most recent calc so I can understand how much each share represents, but it seems like the value of these shares are largely irrelevant until the company has some sort of acquisition or IPO right? Since there's no way for me to actually sell the shares in the private market. And even then, the price per share has to climb above the strike price for me to actually gain.

Is it possible for an acquisition to occur that does not pay out on the vested options or shares? Realistically I don't see this company going public as opposed to being acquired.

Also, are there any "gotchas" I should be looking for in regards to the options? Thanks.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 18, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Ok thanks everyone.

Sounds like i will value the options at 0 but with a small chance of an okay bonus if things go especially well.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

you may value the options at 0, but make certain the IRS agrees with you before you commit.

haha will keep that in mind

i meant more in terms of its value as part of an offer negotiation

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, ive never dealt with a strike price above fractions of a penny per for like 10k, 20k shares, so me being in the money is basically if the company exists or not. existing is a 90th percentile result, good luck. if the strike is like a dollar you and i dont live in the same world

interesting, so i heard back and the price for the options are in the 10s of pennies per share based on their last calculation

im not completely sure how this should change my outlook. as you mentioned, theyre still basically useless unless the company continues existing

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

on a related note, doing a bit of reading and came across non-recourse financing where basically a company will pay for the cost to exercise the options (and tax liabilities?) and take on the risk of company failure while taking a good proportion of the upside if an exit occurs (~50% was a number I saw thrown around)

part of it is tingling my scam senses but from the perspective of someone with the options, getting some upside with no downside does seem nice (assuming they look at the company and agree to make a deal)

obviously not relevant to me anytime soon

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

But the money

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

https://archive.is/HxCVV

Boomberg posted:

Some of that negativity may stem from how demanding assessments are becoming, even for early-career positions. All Sasha Desenclos was looking for was a role as a customer success manager after she was laid off from a gifting platform in January. The Atlanta-based 27 year old was struck when a short-term rental company sent her a five-part assignment this summer. It included a role-play exercise where she had to imagine she was a CEO, as well as tasks such as creating a client’s email campaign and recording herself on a theoretical customer Zoom call.

“It was so weird,” said Desenclos, who spent a full day on the assessment, which also included building a slide-deck. “It was also so vague because I didn’t have much information.”

The company eventually got back to Desenclos to say they loved her assignment, but had gone with someone internal.

Apparently the long rear end takehome is spreading to other industries

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

occluded posted:

hey fig thread

i finished a bootcamp thing in feb (full stack webdev, a pretty comprehensive one with good reviews for what that's worth) and I'm doing the interview tango for the first time in ever, seeing as i've been a freelance film industry guy up until now. Just got rejected from what would have been an amazing job (small software company, interesting projects, local to me in Cornwall, UK) so I'm feeling kind of lovely as now everything else is either 1) in London, gently caress commuting for 4+ hours a few days a week or 2) remote, so I'm competing with every other dev in the country.

I don't think I expect words of encouragement from yospos but perhaps you could all tell me that i'm hosed, but maybe not quite as hosed as I worry?

fwiw I did a career change into software development (with a completely different engineering degree and irrelevant job history) so my resume for my first entry level job was pretty crap, probably worse than yours since i didnt do a boot camp but just taught myself with whatever resources i could find, and i ended up sending around 300-400 applications, got a non-automated response for <5%, ended up only getting like 4-5 in-person interviews, before getting an offer for an entry level job

this was a while ago when the market is better than it is now (assuming the uk market is similar to the us market right now)

like bob dobbs said, it's all about volume, especially for entry/junior level jobs

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Glorgnole posted:

does anyone have recommended reading about interpreting offers from startups which include equity?

i found some good discussion upthread about this starting here.

I was the poster who asked that and i still think valuing the equity at close to 0 is generally a good strategy assuming an earlier stage startup that isnt flush with cash.

a lot of the advice i ended up reading, including in this thread, tended to rely on the assumption that the startup itself would continue existing but realistically startups generally fail and in that scenario the equity is worth 0 and if you exercised any of the options you have lost money. you face a lot of the same considerations VCs do where a small percentage of startups make up the bulk of returns but you dont have the benefit of investing in numerous startups by working for them across a lifetime

also, something ive thought about but that isnt given in advice is that once youve worked at a startup for a period of time and essentially have inside information, you should make a decision to stay or quit. during the interview and offer phase, your knowledge about the company is rather low so accepting equity has a large unknown factor but once you join, you should have a much better idea of how its doing and thus better able to identity if its a startup thats going to succeed and pay out bigly (enough to make up for the pay being replaced with equity + extra to cover the risk you took by accepting equity) or fail. realistically, startups should have insanely high churn if most are going to fail and workers are able to determine with a high likelihood within, say, 1 month of working there on the likely outcome. but i guess workers arent exactly rational financial actors?

like ive worked at my current place for 6 months but i was basically considering leaving starting a few months ago because i had identified it was very likely to fail and thus exercising my options has negative EV so i am losing money by continuing to work while being paid in in these options (well, future pay in options given vesting but close enough)

this feels like something matt levine would write about lol, i feel like Kelly criterion factors into this somehow

anyway dont work for startups

koolkal fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 19, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Company meetings are great if you wfh, peak posting time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Hed posted: