Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

paranoia is a healthy reflex in corporate america. everything can get back to you

it can never, ever, ever help you to have spurt your dumb goop into the world on glassdoor. and it could, in a land of sufficiently paranoid fantasy, hurt you

stay the gently caress away from things with 0 upside and non-0 downside

yeah i don't know why this is controversial. blasting someone on glassdoor probably isn't going to hurt you, but it definitely isn't going to help you so why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Emacs Headroom posted:

because it might help other people deciding where to work? you don't have to be a total mercenary all the time

i just don’t find it useful, i guess. between the hr plants, and no way of knowing if you and random anonymous reviewer #7 want the same things out of a job i haven’t seen much reason to put any stock in it. even the worst companies i’ve worked at manage to keep around 4/5 stars there.

salary info is handy though.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i'm expecting to gently caress up interview clothes a couple times before i get used to the east coast again. the whole west coast is so poorly dressed.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

re: work/life balance in companies whose main product is something other than software: on the one hand yes on the other hand enjoy being reminded every day that you are a cost center and being paid accordingly

this worries me, but the culture in TECH COMPANIES is a toxic hellswamp so pick your poison i guess.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

lol at thinking tech’s culture problems are limited to uber

paging stymie to the jobs thread :getin:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

i like the people i work with but i got stuck on a horrible “3 month” project that’s gonna take a year and probably perpetual maintenance duty

long story short, ive been there a year. what is the shortest amount of time to be at a job before it doesnt look bad to be applying other places

you’re probably fine right now, it’s only a problem if it’s a pattern and/or you don’t have a canned answer for why you’re leaving.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

They aren't illegal here in BC but from what I understand, they are about as enforceable as a contract written on poo poo stained toilet paper.

they're enforceable if they're laser-focused on only limiting things that could demonstrably harm the company.

(none of them are this focused, of course)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i think i just hate working tbqh.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

youre right :unsmith: but what use can a lovely half-rails half-react developer be? well im sure i can learn and im sure i am useful somehow

you can always learn a new thing. i started on php.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

pollyanna take the job. get paid and continue interviewing, it's fine.

KoRMaK posted:

Man, I've been really hankering to get out of Ohio and get to the West coast. Spent time on Vancouver last year and loved it, but it gets cold and rainy. I'd really love to live somewhere where it feels like summer (70+ F) all year round. San Fran sounds nice, but I hear there's a lot of poo. Somewhere around there, or silicon valley would be cool.

I'm a lead Dev at my place and do a ton more than that due to our small company size.

I had to log into my LinkedIn for the first time in 6 years and now that I remember the password I'm thinking about updating it.

vancouver has decent jobs and amazing scenery but kind of bites otherwise (super expensive, unfriendly, if there are wildfires then :rip: summer). victoria has amazing weather and cool people but it's way harder to find a good job. bc, man.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i mean, don't leave unless it's horrible or something clearly better comes along but probation periods work both ways. they can fail it just as easily as you can.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

is it a thing that Vancouver is kind of unfriendly?? My first time was really welcoming but my second time wasn't as much

keep in mind i'm from the east coast which is almost unbearably friendly but yeah, i find people here pretty awful (but fine in victoria, so it's not like i'm writing off the whole coast here).

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

What's friendly on the east coast? Do you mean USA east coast or Canada?

sorry, canada. nova scotia specifically, though even we’ve got nothing on the newfoundlanders. :)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

because of aforementioned repetition i should make this clear: i am NOT saying there is anything wrong with accepting another offer should one come your way. the company you leave is not gonna gently caress your life over for doing this. they might consider it a bit rude but them's the breaks.

yeah you would have to burn bridges in a spectacular way for anyone to remember or care, and even then it might not matter because you're in a big enough market.

also, congrats :yotj:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Dongslayer. posted:

think i mentioned this before but my data structures prof got fired for teaching the wrong curriculum basically. we were given an easy final but that class taught me very little past linear structures.

plan to the course in another lang as soon as possible but needed the grade at the time.

Thanks for all the recommendations

the sedgewick book is solid if you’re cool with java and he does a free class on coursera (i think?)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yeah i’m probably also going to end up on the remote job hunt even though i’d prefer a physical office. moving to a place where the local jobs pay peanuts, :rip: me.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

they’re in the first post, aren’t they?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i dunno, i’ve managed to keep my commute under 20 mins for the last few years so 40 sounds pretty long to me.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i have 10 on the bus and 10 of walking. used to just have 20 mins of walking which was the best.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

Also 18-22 year olds just don't loving appreciate the education they're receiving and gently caress around on their phones during class. It really stuck out to me how disengaged they were as an adult going back to school.

yeah i'm a much better student in my 30s, probably because i appreciate how much time and money this is costing me.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Fiedler posted:

... why do people live in New York?

uh, because it's new york. if you like big cities i imagine there's no greater luxury.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

In fact I'd probably move to Minnesota before I move to NYC.

bonus: excellent hockey team.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

idk about boston but in Portland the problem is the city nimbys wont let anyone build up.

“but our sightlines” is what i always hear in vancouver.

it’s got so bad here that the new development guidelines have $1750 as “affordable” for a one bedroom. even my hyper-capitalist, min-wage-is-totally-livable friend called bullshit on that one.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

DaTroof posted:

buying property you literally never use didn't occur to me because it's weird and stupid

“it’s a good investment, property values only go up!” - a thing someone said to me completely straight-faced.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Neat, got an offer to go to NVIDIA this summer

Do I want to go to NVIDIA this summer?

:yosnice:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

six months of tropical heat
six months of siberian cold

nothing in between

see also: the prairies.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

aren't the prairies more like 9 and 3

tbh i had a layover there once, it was -37, and i never went back. any amount of that is too much.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

itt: more posters get deviant-ed

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

what’s the general consensus on when to start applying for jobs before a move? thinking maybe 4 weeks out? gonna be staying with family until i get work again so there’s no panic, but i also don’t want to be unemployed for long. still have some bills even if rent isn’t an immediate concern.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

Honestly for me, 2-3 months. It's unlikely you'll get a job in 4 weeks of applying.

hm, guess i’m starting this weekend.

:yotj:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah why not as soon as possible and letting them know what your plans are? either they can make it work or they can't

yeah i think you guys are right. i was hoping i could line up in-person interviews more easily by waiting a bit, but i’m just going to start now and if people move faster than expected oh well.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

sometimes descriptiosn like that are written by a dev to subtly warn people away. i saw an example in amazon warehouse software

there's something to be said for just laying everything on the table. yeah it'll take longer to find someone but they're less likely to run away screaming two weeks in.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

Tbh I probably wouldn't bother, but that's me. I only want directly relevant information on my resume, not the times when I was slaving away for tips. That's one line I could be using to highlight a technical achievement.

same. i only have my last three jobs on my current resume because nothing before them is relevant so why would they care?

currently writing cover letters and oh god i want to die.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you don't want to get into a c# shop. c#, the technology, is pretty awesome. c#, the community, is a shitshow.

the problem is that c# is inextricably tied to microsoft windows. every c# shop is a windows shop. every windows shop is owned by someone stupid enough to bet his business on microsoft loving windows

can you imagine how loving idiotic your bosses are if they bet their loving livelihood on windows? titanically stupid. monumentally stupid. so stupid, it beggars belief

and, following from that:
  • A players hire B players.

• B players hire Cs.

• What do the C players hire?

Windows guys.

don't be a windows guy. it's not worth it. no matter how cool the latest shiny C# thing is, it is never worth working with windows guys

can loving confirm.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

afaik in c# land if you want to do a thing then you either use the microsoft library for doing said thing or do it yourself. and chances are the microsoft library is poo poo, because chances are any given library is poo poo. if you have an open source ecosystem though, the poo poo libraries die and the not-poo poo libraries thrive and then natural selection works its magic. stuck with only the microsoft libraries? your hosed.

my only real complaint about what i've seen of java's ecosystem is that a lot of things feel very uh, "enterprise" for lack of a better word. the path from "add to pom.xml" to "do something useful" isn't always super clear.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

tbh i'm still happy i learned c# because it let me pick up unity real fast.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Arcsech posted:

tbh I vastly prefer my horseshit java hellhole to the horseshit js hellhole I touched briefly a while back, and ruby is just incomprehensible to me

sure there’s horseshit everywhere but getting away from plangs is a valid goal

java and c# legacy horseshit does have the advantage of still being mostly debuggable.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

More just pointing out that yes although C#is cross platform, 95% of c# jobs out there you'll be dropped into a Microsoft ecosystem.

yeah i’m into .net core as much as anyone but let’s be real here. c# still means windows at most jobs.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Media Bloodbath posted:

HR Director at one if the places trying to poach me:
"we want to attract people who are a natural fit for our team centric culture and not by being the company with the fattest paychecks."

barf. tell me more about how wanting to get paid is shameful, employers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

just spent five hours on a take-home cause i got way too ambitious about it lmao.

christ i must want this job.