Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m six months into new job and everything is a clusterfuck (inherited) and I’ve tried hard to fix it. now I give up since my colleagues apparently can’t tell they’re buried neck deep in poo poo or want to do anything about it. I’m going to stop rowing against the tide and ride it down for a while until I identify where the non-disaster areas of the company are and transfer there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
drat, London devs are getting owned big time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

Scotland is going to secede from the UK, remain part of the EU, and become another glorious Scandinavian style social democracy

Scandinavian countries are highly educated and not poor though. Ireland is probably a better model.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
anyway, don’t do homework assignments that are real work. it should be something that shows your skill but also something obviously worthless or that has already been solved.

don’t do any homework assignments that take more than an hour. two tops if you’re *really* interested.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Glassdoor salary ranges skew low and yes they are mostly written by dummies but that’s because most people are dummies. a review by someone who is obviously not incompetent can be helpful.

lol at being afraid of posting something on Glassdoor. recruiters and HR don’t give a poo poo about you. they care about filling roles. they see thousands of people every week and they forget about you as soon as their business with you is over.

nobody is trolling Glassdoor reviews and matching it up against someone guy they saw a month ago or a former employee, and then keeping tabs on that person so they can gently caress them over in a future role. don’t be paranoid.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I got a big bump in total comp leaving Apple because they are cheapskates, particularly in the annual raise department.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Emacs Headroom posted:

i know someone who's doing a salary review in the bay area right now (data science / ML manager). here's what he told me about what they've found:

ugh, just when you thought ml nerds couldn’t be any worse

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I started looking for a job in November, started new job in June.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
no one should be allowed to program a computer professionally without a basic understanding of assembly language.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

meatpotato posted:

ehhh, i don't know if I agree --maybe, but it depends on the definition of basic understanding

I like to think I have a "basic understanding" of assembly, at the level of: there is a stack, there are some registers, here are some opcodes but gently caress if I know which registers are used for what, what the calling convention is, or any opcodes besides mov, add, or jmp. But I'm a bad programmer lol. I'm trying to get a "working understanding" so I can write something beyond a hello world without needing to consult a reference manual for every opcode.

edit: I should start posting in the spare time projects thread instead of this one

I mean just how computers actually work because most people have no idea what their code turns into, and it leads to some truly awful software.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

you know linkedin, for being the primary source of six figure related communications in the entire tech industry, it sure does have a bunch of incompetent peasants coding their website and apps

LinkedIn is both the best site for job searches in my experience and objectively a total garbage website in every way. their app is awful too.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

no, don’t

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

every company that contacted me from there was a dudebro ceo ideas guy with no understanding of what it takes to do what he wants. and lol at taking shares in lieu of real money.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m thinking of throwing “AI” and “ML” on my resumé even though I know jack poo poo about those (I have some talking points I can run with) just to see what the LinkedIn response will be.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

my bitter bi rival posted:

anyone else itt super bad at their current job and just kind of winging it until the jig is up

let me spoil the ending for you: they never find out. you just keep on doing your job or change jobs and go be bad there for a while forever.

also this

qhat posted:

This is everyone all the time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Captain Foo posted:

a suit is correct or at least not wrong unless you are interviewing at some weird west coast dudebro shop in which case rethink your job application entirely

a suit is never appropriate on the west coast unless you’re a lawyer.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the only candidates I’ve ever seen wear a suit were either fresh out of college and someone gave them bad dress advice, or guys that were “good talkers” but majorly bombed the technical part of the interview.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just wear a blazer with my hoodie, nbd

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
thinking of moving internally after 7 months in this job. I’m not getting to do what I wanted and I am not just fixing my predecessors’ mistakes but I can’t stop the people around me from compounding them with more stupid mistakes. I was all enthusiastic about getting poo poo done and making things better but the inertia here is too much for me to fight and now I’m full on angry.

yay more interviews.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
anyone who mentions grades gets an eye roll from me and then I turn up the difficulty of my technical questions.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

you sound like the kind of guy who thought homework was beneath you and got Cs, and are now permanently bitter about anyone who showed up and actually did what was asked

it's a loving co-op position, grades are one of the few things they can actually talk about

dude, take a deep breath.

I’ve yet to see any correlation between grades and career skill. I’ve interviewed people with straight A’s at top schools that couldn’t answer basic questions about computers and I know dropouts who are some of the best engineers I’ve met (and the opposite as well). I can see where a still in college kid would think grades mean something. but they don’t.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

so you're going to penalize them? when i was in college i was working part time and doing what was asked of me on every assignment. sorry i didn't spend every waking hour developing a bestselling app as a one man show at the same time

but i wasn't going to stanford, so i guess i wouldn't have been in front of you anyway

I literally said I don’t care if they even went to school or about their grades. how did that transform into the assumption that I would only interview Stanford people? that’s the exact opposite of what I said.

I am happy for you that you did every assignment and worked hard and I hope it pays off for you. I worked hard to get to where I am, but not in the same route as you. if you believe that grades are meaningful then bragging about your GPA should raise the bar, shouldn’t it? you’ve proven that you’re more capable than your peers and therefore should be performing at a higher level. if that’s not true then what is the value of your grades?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at being afraid of professors.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

Sorry not everyone came into their college situation with financial security like you apparently did.

I love these little tidbits of what you think my life is like

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
always be posting

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
having lunch with a hiring manager in another group. first date jitters until he shows up, ugh.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Schadenboner posted:

How did it go?

second date looking promising.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
their poo poo was broken before I got there. they tried it with the guy who actually wrote it and he blew them off so I’m pretty sure I can do it too,

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

If a recruiter comes up to you on LinkedIn, does anyone else right off the bat ask what the compensation range is? Most of these guys just want to speak to me for half an hour on the phone or at coffee or whatever, half an hour that I don't got to just realise they want to pay less than what I already earn.

I tried this a few times and it’s a guaranteed way to kill the conversation. what you want is for them to decide that they need you first. then the hiring manager can put pressure on the recruiter to come up with the number you want.

one time, for a change, I decided to try the opposite approach. very early in the conversation I said “my total comp is this much. are we playing in the same ballpark?” she stammered out some half-hearted thing about stock and whatever and said she’d get back to me. she never got back to me.

I do ask for a detailed job description in email before I waste any time on the phone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
large percentage of contractors is a huge red flag

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sometimes contractors make sense, but their incentives are not aligned with the company. if you are getting paid to ship something but will be long gone by next year, you're not going to put too much effort into designing it to be maintainable and extensible so you aren't screwing yourself in the future.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
don’t accept a job before speaking with your new immediate manager first.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
“oh, base salary is just one component of my compensation package. my take home varies depending on how the stock is doing. let’s talk about what your total comp is”

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tl;dr: don't talk about money until you both agree that you're a great fit for the position

this.

plus remember, the further you are in the process, the more invested the recruiter and hiring manager are in pushing it through. a few grand over at the end is not that big a deal but at the beginning it could be a killer.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
99% or recruiters have no clue what they’re hiring for and just do a database search for keywords. so put all the right keywords in.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my work today was deep in the realm of interview question territory (memcpy with special alignment restrictions) and I spent way too long trying to do it. if it was an interview situation I might have died from shame.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

its really jarring when you come across archs that require memory aligned access.

nah, I deal with those every day. this was an oddball situation where the host had no alignment restrictions but it’s writing into remote memory and the bus can’t handle unaligned access. so now I have to clean up after a bunch of dummies there decided to cast their byte arrays into structures that “used to work” until the structure sizes changed and now everything is hosed.

qhat posted:

Conducted a phone interview today because the other person was "out of town". We asked them questions and could hear them typing in the background. They even did the whole "uhh I know this, uhh...<20 seconds> oh yes that's the answer" routine. So we turned up the difficulty and circled back to the original questions and they couldn't answer them after just doing so 5 minutes earlier. Lol.

did you call them out on it?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don’t get it, why would you want to get hired for a job where you literally can’t even do the simplified version on the take home test? what are you going to do when they put real work in front of you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Peeny Cheez posted:

Because 99 times out of 100 the test has absolutely nothing to do with the requirements of the job, already has an established solution, or is just loving dumb.

Example of the last: given a list of phone numbers and call durations, sum them up and bill at 3 cents a second under five minutes and at 2.5 cents a second, rounded up to the next minute for calls over five minutes. The number with the longest duration is not billed. Should multiple numbers have the same duration, then the lowest number is not billed.

“you see, boss, this problem already has an established solution and is also loving dumb. so I won’t be implementing it. what else ya got?”