Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
get them in a room together, let whoever has the most political power explain to the other person why they aren't getting the feature they need

may backfire if they both have more political power than you and they make you commit to doing both, even though you don't have the resources for it (and no you're not getting any more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
remember that even if you do end up being able to take an appropriate amount of vacation, such a policy also means "you won't get paid out any accrued-but-unused vacation when you leave"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ciaphas posted:

amazes me that non-:thermidor: people can be sufficiently monied as to just go without income for a month (and add considerable expense at that) and be okay at the end

savings seem to accrue far too slowly for that :\

Ciaphas posted:

well this is the part i'm scared ritually to death of because i'm gonna sound like a bougie gently caress, but about $94k/y now plus 3 weeks/year PTO, no sick leave, technically salaried but i don't get paid for less than 40 so worst of exempt and non, really

(e) or maybe not, my measure of success since HS was "can i make it to 100k/yr before I have my midlife crisis" (not phrased that way necessarily, but) but I guess that's changed in the decades since

Spend less on candles.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Uh, paying 42k of income tax when you're only earning 94k would be like, a 45% tax rate. There's no way your income tax is that high.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Do you actually have interviews and stuff lined up that you're expecting might make you an offer, or is it a super-vague "well what if a recruiter calls me out of the blue immediately after I've signed the contract" thing?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
that's also why you want to move around a lot - your signing bonus (vesting over x years) is often gonna be larger than the normal yearly handouts, so after your signing bonus is fully vested you can go somewhere else and collect another signing bonus

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's not even particularly *difficult*, it's just long and tedious implementing your roguelike game engine to meet the spec

hopefully tomorrow brings a fun level instead

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If the interviewer isn't an insecure rear end in a top hat who thinks their primary responsibility is proving that they're smarter than the candidate, then no, it doesn't matter at all.

So basically a 50/50 as to whether it's relevant.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Oneiros posted:

my favorite experience with this was when i caught one of our hr peeps posting the internal job listing in the break room/kitchen. behind the refrigerator.

WANTED: C++ developer with furniture removalist experience

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yeah i assume the question was "which faang" not "which manager actually told you"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just because it happens verbally doesn't mean it can't be documented

you should be writing this stuff down after it happens, with dates and times and the people who were there, somewhere you can access but the company doesn't know about.

it'll be worth its weight in gold once things get bad enough that you want to sue over a hostile work environment.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
remember, even if you know the average salary for the position, half of the people are making more than that. the other half are the people who didn't negotiate.

so if you're stating the first number, don't say you want the average for the position. that's selling yourself way short.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Flat Daddy posted:

“sorry for the late notice but I can’t come in this week. I have..... diarrhea”

but you post a lot every day :confused:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
this is also why white male techies don't support them

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fiedler posted:

a proposal: each of you should reply-all on your last follow-up email and add the office of the ceo (satyan@microsoft.com and jeff@amazon.com), then report back on any payments or restraining orders received.

hail satyan

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if they give up northern ireland it gets a lot easier

either immediately, or in a generation or two after they've introduced a sea border to allow most of the uk to diverge from the eu without breaking the good friday agreement

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

dc3k posted:

wtf, usually i hear the opposite about remote. i see job postings stating remote available "for the right candidate" which ive heard generally means people at the senior level

"remote for seniors who are willing to work for junior pay"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you ask, and they don't want to tell you, then assume the answer is "way too loving long"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

jesus WEP posted:

being able to lie about unimportant bullshit is a good job skill to have

and it's not like you even need to lie, you just need to sound like you don't already hate the job before you've even got it

you can easily say "me python developer, you looking for a python developer" while also making it sound like you actually give a poo poo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It sounds like your notional manager doesn't actually talk to you at all, as a result has no idea what you're doing, and then is trying to make out their lack of managing as being your fault somehow?

I've been in that situation before, and it sucks, but I doubt I'm the right person to give advice about it because the poor manager moved on and I ended up with a better one before too long.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i guess being a junior developer for decades gives you a lot of practice at quickly ramping up to meet junior developer expectations

most people might expect to become a senior developer at some point instead of forever writing small changes based on what someone else has told them to do, but should we really be criticising someone for having a crippling lack of ambition?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Not much, what's under with you?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ThePeavstenator posted:

a month of crunch

this alone is an immediate "holy poo poo management is incompetent" thing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it was like 1.4 before the referendum, lmao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the funny thing about load is that when one service is seeing its peak amount of user-facing traffic, so is every other service.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the only thing better would have been if that kid wasn't even at the q&a

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
ask if you can trade your stock options in that one specific startup for a spread of options in every startup those same vcs are funding

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

money will fix the bay area-specific problems

money will not fix "oh poo poo i moved two thousand miles away from everyone i know" problems. that set of issues requires hard work and meeting new people and poo poo

the other problem is that now all the people you're in a position to meet are bay area people

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the only reason a law firm would hire someone who's beep boop logical and completely incapable of social interaction is because they always need more warm bodies to chew through discovery and case law and such for pennies (but get billed to the client for big bucks). you're not making partner if you can't figure that poo poo out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's really just about not hiring complete asocial techlords

like, look at how's posts, and imagine how odious they must be to work with in the real world.

me personally, i totally did that on my first job interview out of university. interviewer asked me why i wanted to work there specifically, and i had nothing. i just kinda shut down and then mumbled something about how everyone's gotta work. and this was at a company i had interned at and knew a bunch of people!

difference between me and how is that i realised how much of a dumb idiot answer that was, and was able to better myself as a person and become less of an asocial techlord before the next time i went out interviewing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
there are a bunch of other tech companies that do two-night corporate retreats

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
offshoring a single person is a really dumb idea, honestly

if you were already distributed and used to working across timezones then sure, you could make weirdo hours work, but going from a single office to timezone-distributed for the sake of a single person is not a great path to take

get him to move 8 hours eastwards and wfh at the same absolute time everyone else is working

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Boiled Water posted:

am i understanding you're paid less for being on call, or is it pay in addition?

On-call pay is in addition to your regular salary, at least for the hours where you're not otherwise at work.

For the hours where you are at work, I'm not sure whether you still get something extra or if it's just considered part of your regular duties. I haven't been on-call in half a decade.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fritz posted:

i just call that 'posting'

still applies

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

barkbell posted:

ya i think it's that, plus they need me to start 2/15. recruiter just emailed me this morning saying oops he was looking at the wrong position and this one is actually an amount thats not much over what i currently make. i told him that doesnt work and good luck in your search.

Good power move, let us know when they call you back with a better offer.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the salary before the comma divided by two

if you make $100,000, take the 100 and divide by 2, it’s about $50/hr

just don't divide by two and you're in the right ballpark of what you should be asking.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
promoted from coffee person to programmer, that's a nice step up

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
speaking truth to power is a quick way to find out whether your boss can handle the truth

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CrazyLittle posted:

uhhhhh i dont think that's how those work

Having your signing bonus vest over several years is pretty standard practice to stop people jumping ship as soon as they've put in the requisite number of months.

Of course in practical terms it means your pay drops after X years, so if you haven't been given an equivalent amount in raises by that point it's time to start hunting around for a new signing bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

drunk mutt posted:

What is the stance if a company requests time spent in their HQ, which is overseas, for a substantial amount of time to on board?

Remember that this is a business trip, they should be paying for your travel, accommodation, and meals during that process. Make sure you get up-front the numbers on how much they're able to reimburse you, and keep your receipts.