Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

might be a good time to get some practice in, then.

you might happy in your current place, but there's no harm in looking. computer touchers are in the enviable position where interviews are a two-way street. who knows, maybe you'll woo them, maybe they'll woo you.

(this is directed as much at you as at myself tbh).

interviewing while gainfully employed gives you a lot of leverage in negotiation too. less incentive to screw you with lowball or downlevel if you can just walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
the way i usually see senior -> staff framed is a change in the level/scale at which you contribute. At senior you're still doing tactical technical work and owning some features + influencing team direction. Staff is moving towards defining the strategy for the team(s) and making highly ambiguous problems tractable involving multiple teams, technically/organizationally complex solutions, and long O(years) time horizons.

forum enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 5, 2023

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
i also wouldn't worry too much about having neat, long blocks of time. usually you can split these virtual onsites across a few days if you really need to, so having an hour here or there should be fine unless there is a critical dependency on the interviewer side who has a particularly limited schedule.

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010

The Leck posted:

yay: passed on-site interviews, scheduling meetings with teams to see if one is a match
boo: down-leveled, with no specifics on the range for the new title. based on levels.fyi, it could range from just fine on the higher end to "that's the increase from the last 3 job change/promotions gone"

🥳

Is this one of those companies who refuse to consider current comp as a competing offer? If you have time to bash out another quick set of rounds you could try putting something together from other places, otherwise if you're not in a bad spot now then you could push back on comp and worst case just stay put. Even without a competing offer there is probably some wiggle room on equity.

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
does your current job have a compiler or language team that you could transfer to? internal transfer is probably easier to build a rapport with the target team and get them to take a chance on you.

I moved from SWE to security a number of years ago and started off by doing an internal interview and transfer to one of the appsec teams which I had met from reaching out and getting involved with internal security-related forums.

forum enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 8, 2024

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

wrt security stuff, it used to be trivially easy to present at infosec conferences. you just do something remotely novel - anything - and talk about it. write a honeypot, float it out there for a couple months, that's a conference presentation. automate a well-known attack to make it dead simple to operate, that's a conference presentation. and so on.

there seem to be 100x more people interested in the field now than there were a few years ago when i was more invested in community goings-on, so the competition might be stiffer now.

yeah agreed it feels like a lot more folks getting involved and the barrier to vuln research has never been lower. you dont even need a shady old copy of ida anymore to start pulling things apart.

that being said, good security and senior+ especially are always hard to find. swe -> security synergizes well and gives you the flexibility to do full swe, swe security, or full seceng. could be an interesting route to explore if compilers/plang design dont pan out.

ed: also security communities tend to be surprisingly interconnected, so even something smaller and local like bsides is a good avenue

forum enthusiast fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 7, 2024

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

[...]

Would it be a bad idea to list grad school coursework on my resume and just make it 3-4 pages long? I know the thread advice is to keep resumes to 1, maybe 2 pages but I feel like I'm probably getting binned by resume bots for not having all the right keywords for the job. Basically I feel like I have to choose 2 of:
  • 1-2 page resume
  • Include all my strongest skills and work experience
  • List the relevant skills for the role I most recently used in grad school

are you sending the same resume for different types of job? might be worth having a compilers-specific, security-specific, etc version with the right keywords. also referrals will at least get you past the automated screener if thats an option.

honestly, when i read candidate resumes i only look at the first page in any real depth. sometimes i see a 5-10 page long resume and i couldn't tell you what's beyond the first header.

specifically on seattle security hiring, from what i can see it is still a bit iffy for senior/staff but definitely better than last year. happy to chat if you have specific questions or such.

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
for alternate data points, levels.fyi is decently accurate for companies with a lot of submissions. some regions also require that job listings have salary ranges, which you can then slap a bonus % and equity grant on top of to get an idea of TC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010

occluded posted:

Company told me I had really impressive skills and experience but they won’t be moving me forward after a good second interview, then immediately put the job advert back up. I don’t get this??? you want to hire so you can expand and grow? then why not just hire???

I know I’m taking it personally and this is unskillful, I must simply become a zen seed on the wind and apply more, but… my partner pointed out there are firms that will look like they are hiring to placate employees who are having to work too hard, but will never actually take anyone on to save costs, and that idea makes my very small spectrum brain get all upset.

there are essentially innumerable reasons why a company would choose not to hire a candidate, and only a small portion of those have anything to do with the candidate themselves. they are also unlikely to disclose anything about internal feedback or processes to you, so as you said it would be best to simply move on and look to other opportunities.

on the bright side, an amicable rejection with some kind words could mean the pipeline is still open to you in the future should other fitting roles open up.