Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qhat posted:

No loving chance you're getting £80k in London unless you're a technical lead. 2 years should expect no more than 45k imho.

You can get a lot more than that with 2 years experience if you're happy to work for the financial industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

jre posted:

How long have you been living in Canada ?

https://stackoverflow.com/jobs/sala...&tl%5B2%5D=java

While pay is admittedly low in London especially considering the cost of living, there are still quite a lot of well paying jobs and the salary tail is quite long.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qhat posted:

All I'm saying is when the IRL recruiter is telling you it's not going to happen, and the guy who worked a long time in London in finance is telling you it's not going to happen, and the only person telling you it can happen is the guy who thinks it takes over an hour to get from zone 4 to zone 1 on the tube, it should be pretty clear cut that the UK sucks overall for salaries.

it very much can happen. I made about the amount you suggested as max with 2 years experience and at my review was told I was underpaid and given a big raise

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Looks like I got owned hard by my recruiter though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qhat posted:

Maybe you're right, I wonder what an A-list company, say Amazon, pays an engineer in London. Let's have a look then:

SDE I: £38-49k, average £42k
SDE II: £44k-67k, average £56k
SSDE: £52k-97, average £81k

Welp. But sure it's "easy" to get £80k+ as a freaking noob in London because. Lol.

It's not necessarily easy, but even the stackoverflow survey has 75th percentile of 2 years experience and a nothing special profile at 50k. You can make more if you have some sort of advantage over the average dev.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Management posted:

drat, London devs are getting owned big time

open an office here and take advantage of that cheap offshore labour without the language barrier

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I say that but there's no reason to do it here instead of say France or ee

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Recruiting is really hard, I always feel really bad after an interview if I don't think we did it quite right.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the panacea posted:

on topic: lol at Headhunters wanting a RL meeting without their client first. who has time for that?!

They could be screening you for certain clients and/or want to prep your for the interview

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

that said, using linkedin like its a blog is indeed scrub tier

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's one UK/US tech recruitment firm which, at least on the basis of the LinkedIn messages I receive, exclusively employees young blond women.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Our graduate hires all do their first 3-6 months on the support/ops desk. It really helps them gain a feel for how the company works and gives them contacts throughout the company. Then when they join a more dev focused team they know what matters and normally come in with lots of ideas. It helps that the support team all do some dev work, and devs are expected to support their own apps.

Still doesn't mean that the grads know much about coding though.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What's the biggest red flag you've seen in a glassdoor review. Bonus points for unintentional ones.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

amazing thanks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

it really shows how incompetent the execs/HR at these companies are because it is not that loving hard to do this without being obvious.

That would require a tiny bit of self criticism, and if they could do that they probably wouldn't be in that situation in the first place

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bloody posted:

BTW if anyone wants to work on rocket engines hit me up

ive played like 60 hours of ksp hire me please

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Penisface posted:

i am assuming that the recruiter can show that they sent you an email and coincidentally right after that you ended up applying at the company for the same position that the recruiter was pushing for

anyway in my experience it seems that a lot of companies have outsourced the first contact part of the process to 3rd party recruiters so i am assuming both sides have covered their asses

You don't even need to feel bad as recruiters will 100% work around any agreements they have with companies, take the whole firms contact list when the move agencies etc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Do interviewers normally help you during algorithm questions? We have an easy programming test but then in the actual interview will ask harder algorithm questions. We don't expect candidates to be able to solve them first time on their own though, we'll work through it with them and give hints, counter examples etc and ask them what they think of their current solution as they are doing it. It isn't so much you ability to solve the problem but communicate about coding stuff

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

this is a good list. I've also asked (and been asked) what the interviews are working on that day. Can cut through some of the bullshit and makes sure you have an accurate understanding of the sort of work they do.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

also you can ask if devs own their applications after deployment or do they just throw it over a wall

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Skim Milk posted:

i get paid fat stacks to type df = pd.read_csv('somebullshit.csv', low_memory=IDGAF) all day

same op

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sometimes I have to email someone if it doesn't work because the file is hosed up

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i saw a job posting from them at 67k

annualized, i got paid more than that at my internship

It's the same in the UK. I ended up making double what they were advertising their comp as.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

When I was last job searching I had a lot of success using hired.com. At the time my only experience was a year in a startup and some open source work. I got requests for about 20 interviews, went on ~12, got 6 concrete offers (and a few others I was stringing along).

You put a profile up there and then the companies come to you. It's tech only, because only this industry is that desperate for staff.

I'm trying to persuade my boss to start using Hired to hire because our recruiters suck and keep sending us the exact same profiles (guys with 3 years experience at megacorp and a buzzwordy cv who fail the technical test). I haven't been sent a woman's cv by them in months even though they get a bonus if we hire her.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is every job after a few years

the only way to reliably keep your pay in-line with the market is to change jobs periodically

Idk if this is always true, but sometimes it is lifechangingly true

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qhat posted:

Avoid like the plague.

Have you ever received a CV with the candidates myers-briggs on it? I kinda wanted to reject them out of hand but apparently that's not a good enough reason.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

who but an intp would even do that

idk but it is a terrible idea. how is it ever going to benefit you?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm looking for possibly short term remote work (so I can move to Belize) and so many listings from US companies are 100% remote, theb you get to the small print on the application form and you have to live in the USA. Is there a particular reason for this?

They don't make the condition very obvious but I think that's more parochialism than anything

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That's probably true - there are also places that are like "anywhere in utc-8 to utc-2" or something, which sounds like it could be a huge administrative burden if there wasn't a way to simplify it (services contracts?)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm not actually moving to Belize, I will be a legal immigrant in an EU state, and I am going to be paying the correct taxes (sadly significantly more than Belizean ones!), I just need to have a bit of flexibility about location for a while. Plenty of companies seem support this now, Mononcqc's summary makes a lot of sense.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

yeah it really doesn't seem like a big deal. I've certainly seen candidates who did the opposite get hired

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ADINSX posted:

Look on the bright side, seems like a few red flags if you wanna blow em off, if you think a position isn't gonna be a good fit its nice to be able to short circuit the process.

Sometimes the first phone screen is someone from HR or a recruitment consultancy who know nothing about the role and you just have to deal with it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just signed up for hired.com, hope it's better than the usual spam from recruitment sites

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

cheque_some posted:

Best bet is probably to get job in London then try to transfer to New York

This sort of works but is still a big pain. Have to justify why you can't hire an American or something

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Have you considered getting a job in London and just being paid a lot less?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's a couple of guys on L1 visas in our new York office and they keep having to come back to Europe for a few weeks while the paperwork gets sorter out. I think there was some discussion of hiring people to work for them just so they would qualify for the management route lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What sort of response times have people got when applying via a companies own website? I've been trying to avoid recruiters so far this time but at least they actually get you into interview fairly quickly

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tetramin posted:

I’ve gotten calls 3+ months after accepting and starting a position before, but this round of hunting I was getting direct contacts real fast. My experience was like <24 hours-2 weeks for the ones that actually got back to me.

That was my experience last time as well (including hearing from people months after starting elsewhere). I suppose I should just hold my nose and find a recruiter I like

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FMguru posted:

come to rest in a better company, settle in, and then recruit your old boss to come work for you

My current boss did this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

its the same one ive posted before, youre welcome to look it over too if you like

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_Ic--nK8b8XKzsfg22mbjxmCks5Vf4YG

minor differences from the real one but aesthetic only (desaturated the color and like one point of header font size)

I feel like "expanded horizons" isn't quite correct grammar but I'm not sure what exactly is wrong.

If you could add a bulletpoint to the current rewriting project describing something you personally have accomplished or similar I think that would help - even just changing "implementing" to "implemented" - I think it would help. Moving from TFS to git is very worthwhile but having a concrete business objective you've met would make it much stronger imo

Finally if you could break your experience into different projects you've worked on with their own subheadings it would give your career a bit more structure.

E: I don't mean to come across as negative at all though, it is a good cv!