Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i'm weighing whether or not to interview with amazon their process seems painful. and also they're amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

my interview at Amazon was a really good experience

i've never interviewed at a faang before and everything i've read about the whiteboarding stuff seems dreadful

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

it's just a whiteboard problem. people freak out about it because they're not good at it.* like yes, it's annoying to do algo problems on a whiteboard, but practically it's fine. of course there's gonna be terrible interviews and interviewers that ask dumbass questions that are gotchas or whatever, but it's not actually a huge deal. even if it's terrible, it's not like you're out much (especially when the whole thing is gonna be over video chat anyway)

everybody's experience will be different, but it's not like there's something meaningfully different between faang interviews and interviews at the smaller companies that ape their practices

to be fair, my amazon interview was for SDE, so maybe they save the cRaZy questions for whatever they call their software engineers. but dont sell yourself short, it's fine. and if it sucks, it's still fine.

* im not very good at it either, but I don't really mind if I don't know the answer to a problem like that. I mean I'd rather get it right obviously, but it's a crap shoot and I've managed to not take it as a referendum on my self-worth

ty

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i dont actually want to leave my current job atm, but can see myself leaving later this year at some point. i am completely out of interviewing shape, haven't done one in 4 years. im going through system design books, grinding leetcodes, etc but i figure there's no practice like the real thing. is it a bad idea to apply to jobs i dont actually want just for interview practice, am i going to end up triggering a tripwire in some data thing somewhere that sends my company's HR a big red notification that i'm job shopping.